Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Banter

Share On:

Post subject: Retirement.
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:09 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I know that some folk on here have recently retired or are sorely wishing to. I was just wondering what you expect from your retirement and for those actually retired, how is it going?

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Retirement.
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

I have far less freedom in retirement than ever I had at work.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:29 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

suiging wrote:

This upsets me

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:37 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

suiging wrote:

Was you jailed for summat at your leaving do FFS?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:47 pm 
Manager
Manager

I am now the driver for my wife, son and daughter. Every day one of the bastards wants king somewhere. I'm thinking of changing my name to "Uber".

All I hear is "Oi....the wife., or.."Dad !" the other two. Every call involves me doing something they can't be arsed to do themselves.

Drinks with my mates an issue, as the bleeders are thousands of miles away. Nw that's my problem, but for you lot," the nipping out for a quick one ......" dream on. They know where you are, and they're not afraid to tell you. Just stopped for one after work......thing of the past. You somehow have to get to the door unnoticed , almost impossible.

Hate it.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:24 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

That's a bit disheartening for you Suiging. I hope things improve as time goes on.

I've officially been retired about 15 months now and I love it. I still get up early most mornings to make the first drink of the day and I haven't got the excuses for being out that I used to have but I do plenty of what I want and the big thing is that I don't feel stressed about going in to 100+ emails with urgent, conflicting instructions and deadlines, or with worrying about the things I left half finished. I can go back to bed and read a paper if I want or, as I have done, I can go swimming or walking and work on losing that excess baggage I collected over the previous 45 years. I have done some bits of work since but on a one task at a time basis and that is so much easier.

I don't crave doing a lot of things, for me it's just a change of mind set and I feel at ease. Mind you, Mrs LB will retire in July and things could change then. :shock:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:09 am 
Manager
Manager

The wife is the key. Mine used to travel all over the world on a regular basis. Being used to telling others what to do hasn't rubbed off yet.

My saving grace is taking the lad for walk down the Gorge. It's my equivalent of a shed. Peace and quiet, wonderful scenery.

If it wasn't for the cataracts from being too long in the sun......off to Shrewsbury next week to get them sorted then back to nature....lovely.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

Retirement is for POOFS. :lol: I am not for a few years yet, officially retired, but I don't intend to fully retire either. I am a farmer now and I never saw that one coming, but I love it and I am having to learn new things each and everyday including a difficult Slavic language (in addition to the one I already know,) with new technical words that I hardly know in English.

As long as I can keep my health all will be fine, I think that everyone that retires should take up a Hobby they enjoy and don't just stagnate in front of the daytime TV. Enjoy yourselves as much as you can as you only live once.

I don't have any Mates closeby either and haven't had a drink in an English Pub for years now, but I'm happy sitting out with my dogs and sheep and having a cold one and a few ciggies of course. The Internet keeps me in touch with folk, but it is a big time eater too.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:46 am 
Manager
Manager

My update ? Well cataract sorted. Can now see the wife. Not sure if that's a result to be honest.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
My update ? Well cataract sorted. Can now see the wife. Not sure if that's a result to be honest.

I reckon that any operation that would allow me to see my Wife sneaking up on me from behind with the Carving Knife to be a medical miracle, and not just a result. :wink:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
suiging wrote:

I reckon that any operation that would allow me to see my Wife sneaking up on me from behind with the Carving Knife to be a medical miracle, and not just a result. :wink:

True that. But the buggers put the eye back in the same place.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:27 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Don't think I will ever be able to retire, enjoy it you miserable sods

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:49 am 
Manager
Manager

I retired in October 2016 and am loving the freedom and relaxation it brings. I have many hobbies, walking, reading, music, traveling, so do never get bored or listless as there is always something to look forward to, as long as one's health holds up. Since retiring I have travelled to Barcelona, Bilbao, Cyprus, Germany three times ( football at M /Gladbach..;-))...Adelaide, Australia and also two trips to Coleraine, Ireland and a week up in Troon, Ayrshire. I am also catching up on reading the over 700 books I have on my bookshelf cabinets and also replaying a lot of the old music I have not heard for years. Add to this a weekly bus trip to a place not visited before ( buss pass bonus) and that's my world after retirement. Two pub visits over the weekend, I do not drink during the week and that is my regime. I am currently recuperating after cataract surgery, left eye done last week and an appointment on Nov 28th to see how it has gone and when to operate on the right eye. If retirement is for poofs, Moscow, well, that I have become..:-)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:21 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
I retired in October 2016 and am loving the freedom and relaxation it brings. I have many hobbies, walking, reading, music, traveling, so do never get bored or listless as there is always something to look forward to, as long as one's health holds up. Since retiring I have travelled to Barcelona, Bilbao, Cyprus, Germany three times ( football at M /Gladbach..;-))...Adelaide, Australia and also two trips to Coleraine, Ireland and a week up in Troon, Ayrshire. I am also catching up on reading the over 700 books I have on my bookshelf cabinets and also replaying a lot of the old music I have not heard for years. Add to this a weekly bus trip to a place not visited before ( buss pass bonus) and that's my world after retirement. Two pub visits over the weekend, I do not drink during the week and that is my regime. I am currently recuperating after cataract surgery, left eye done last week and an appointment on Nov 28th to see how it has gone and when to operate on the right eye. If retirement is for poofs, Moscow, well, that I have become..:-)

Well that ay arf bad sidering yo'm 88 years young. :wink: :roll: :lol:

Tongue in cheek, but at least you have a plan and do things that you didn't have time for before - perhaps. I haven't reached UK retirement age yet by a few years as they keep robbing me out of a year, but I still cannot sit on my fat arse and do nothing until my toes turn up - I feel that I need to keep active and keep moving until my body tells me, 'that's enough'.

I was only dreaming the other night that if I had a UK Senior Citizens Bus Pass, just how far I could go - Lands End to John O Groats on a Bus Pass with a bit of Shanks Pony in between - is it possible?

Anyway, you enjoy your retirement and spare a thought for poor Fister who has to slave away at his desk until he dies at it. :lol:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:27 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Moscow Wolf wrote:
I was only dreaming the other night that if I had a UK Senior Citizens Bus Pass, just how far I could go - Lands End to John O Groats on a Bus Pass with a bit of Shanks Pony in between - is it possible?

I have the bus pass and that is something I would love to do - haven't squared it with Ms LB yet though and not sure what the buses are like at each end.

If you haven't read "Notes from a Small Country" by Bill Bryson, it's an entertaining read which gives you a good feel for doing something like that.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

I have the bus pass and that is something I would love to do - haven't squared it with Ms LB yet though and not sure what the buses are like at each end.

If you haven't read "Notes from a Small Country" by Bill Bryson, it's an entertaining read which gives you a good feel for doing something like that.

Some years ago now, I recall watching a TV film or series about an OAP who set out on foot to do the long walk; first attempt, he failed and came back with his tail between his legs, but the second attempt saw him doing it. The actor whose name I forget is dead now, but I recall my Father (who is also dead) complaining that when the character walks through the Midlands, they depict it as a bit of a shithole and my Father was saying where he should have walked and filmed being such lovely countryside. I have to agree, why walk through the former industrial areas when you can walk through the surrounding greenbelt areas.

Any ideas what the programme was called and who the actor was as I must be going back 10-20 years at least. Jos ''Ackland'' or something or other, I think the actor's christian name was?

I'll go google the name and see what I come up with.

Edit: well, it seems that Joss Ackland is still alive and the film was called:-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097363/

Shall try to find it and watch it again.

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:24 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Could be worth a watch. Joss Ackland has certainly been around a bit.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

Good hunting Moscow. Back on topic, I can`t wait to retire. I have loads of interests which, regrettably, due to finances, mean I can`t get down the Mol as often as I would like. One has to strike a balance. The first thing to do will be to get a dog. We both work full time and don`t think it would be fair to leave a mutt on it`s own all day. The only problem will be she will want something saft and cuddly whereas I want something more athletic and robust. As Moscow and Glad have already said health is a big factor, just have to keep myself injury free for the next two and a half years. :wink:

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:29 pm 
Manager
Manager

Health is the key.

Odd thing is, when working, you can soldier on through stuff and basically get on with it. Post retirement, I've been falling apart. All the niggles you've put up with for years come back to haunt you. It's as if your body says " My time now. This should have broken yonks ago, it will break now".

I now know why retired folk hobble about.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:39 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
Could be worth a watch. Joss Ackland has certainly been around a bit.

If you find a link let me know as I cannot find it online.

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
Health is the key.

Odd thing is, when working, you can soldier on through stuff and basically get on with it. Post retirement, I've been falling apart. All the niggles you've put up with for years come back to haunt you. It's as if your body says " My time now. This should have broken yonks ago, it will break now".

Hobble or Wobble. Too much booze or too many pies. :wink:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
Health is the key.

:) :(

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:38 am 
Manager
Manager

desiwulf wrote:
suiging wrote:
Health is the key.

:) :(

On the bright side Desi, lot's of folk like Mozzi who say can't sit about must work are balanced with folk like me, who really enjoy the countryside walks with my lad and reading all those books you've put aside for years.

Got up basically before 6AM for 36 years. Really enjoy what the bedroom walls look like at 8.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

I enjoy waking up at whatever hour I do ( unless I am going out that day and need to set the alarm clock) and thinking: " Do I stay in bed and sleep myself out or do I get up early and make the most of the day with certain tasks or hobby interests?". Freedom of choice 24/7 is very liberating and delightful. I think: This is my time now, nobody else's and I can do what I want, when I want...as long as the health holds up reasonably well...but I found after 60 that my body started developing lots of issues that I never had before, high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, prostate PSA tests every three months, cataract surgery, facial neuralgia on the left cheek area.....London buses etc.....None of us know long we have left on the planet before the Grim Reaper arrives, that's why I pack in as much as I can every week, enjoying every day of personal freedom and not having to join the rat race of working. Plan for retirement as early as you can.....financially and personally, hobby-wise..there is so much to see and do and so little time left to do it all.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:49 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
desiwulf wrote:
suiging wrote:
Health is the key.

On the bright side Desi, lot's of folk like Mozzi who say can't sit about must work are balanced with folk like me, who really enjoy the countryside walks with my lad and reading all those books you've put aside for years.

Got up basically before 6AM for 36 years. Really enjoy what the bedroom walls :D look like at 8.

Albeit, I don't consider it WORK, I consider it as my duty and I am fulfilled by what I need to do on a daily basis; I am my own boss and outside of the weather, the livestock and the domestic animals, I can do want I please (after 7pm most days).
:lol:

I took the Wife out this evening on the back of the 650 ATV, mud flying everywhere to show her one of the fields I own where Rapeseed is already growing (I didn't plant it). It was lovely out there at dusk and that is my countryside.

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:39 pm 
Manager
Manager

Latest YouTube Clip:-

https://youtu.be/RepimjHrUGg

And most grateful to anyone that leaves a comment, gives us a thumbs up and most importantly, if you haven't already, SUBSCRIBE or even share. I need the Kudos. :roll: :lol:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:29 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Moscow Wolf wrote:

And most grateful to anyone that leaves a comment, gives us a thumbs up and most importantly, if you haven't already, SUBSCRIBE or even share. I need the Kudos. :roll: :lol:

What roles do Michelle and Becky have in this?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

I take Volunteers from an organisation known as Workaway whereby, I advertise myself as a Host and those travelling can contact me and offer themselves as Volunteers and request to come to my place to work for their food and accommodation.

That's it basically.

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:40 am 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Left back wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

I take Volunteers from an organisation known as Workaway whereby, I advertise myself as a Host and those travelling can contact me and offer themselves as Volunteers and request to come to my place to work for their food and accommodation.

That's it basically.

Would that work for Swedish female back-packers who want to see Telford ?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

That's it basically.

Would that work for Swedish female back-packers who want to see Telford ?

Sadly not, as Coventry is going to be the UK Capital Of Culture, so they'll be going there instead, to impersonate Lady Godiva. Telford might get Kosovan fudge packers instead.

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Banter