Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Banter

Share On:

Post subject: Great North Run 2015
 Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:45 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I know it's early days yet, but it gives me time to raise plenty on money for charity. I am running the Great North Run this year, this will be my first 'serious' attempt at a half marathon, so any motivation in the form of donations is hugely appreciated. I am raising money for Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research and my target is £300. I will be updating my JustGiving page periodically with my progress/achievements/pitfalls/breakdowns etc. etc.

https://www.justgiving.com/kstringergnr/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Great North Run 2015
 Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

I ran this in 96, and it was a great event, and a great weekend. Me and me mukka got the train up to Newcastle on Saturday morning, beers supped, then checked in to our gaff in Ponteland. Back in to town, and we spent the afternoon on the lash, after bumping in to Jimmy Saville at the BUPA pasta party, on the Quayside. After a change and a brush-up, we were back in to town for the evening, and down the Bigg Market, finally falling asleep in The Rupali, and Lord Harpole was there.

The next morning, I was up, and wolfing my FEB down, whilst me mukka slung his down the bog. We headed off to the race start, in our bin liners, and jumped in at the 1 hour 20 mark, to get a good start, and Alan Shearer started the race. Decent runners cursed us, as they tried to leg past us, but I soon got in to my stride, leaving me mukka for dead. I really enjoyed the race, and the final sprint up the sea front, was perfect. I got me medal and goodie bag, and sparked up a Hamlet. I did 1:42 I think.

Any way, good luck, and enjoy the race. I shall make a donation in due course.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:52 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Just bumping this, less than 6 weeks to go, training is going well and there is still plenty of time to get your donations in. I have already smashed my target of £300 and I would love to make it to £500. Please give what you can, every penny counts!

http://www.justgiving.com/kstringergnr

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:56 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I've also shamelessly placed this in Wolves Chat, just for some extra exposure, hope that's ok ;-)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:00 pm 
Manager
Manager

I hope your Father (Pitbull) is doing okay with his treatment as I don't see him on here much nowadays?

I for one would be interested to hear about your preparations for the race, what you expect to achieve time wise or, just finish it. I know nothing about the GNR whether it is on the flat or over hills or even where it takes place.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post subject: Great North Run 2015
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:10 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Moscow Wolf wrote:
I hope your Father (Pitbull) is doing okay with his treatment as I don't see him on here much nowadays?

I for one would be interested to hear about your preparations for the race, what you expect to achieve time wise or, just finish it. I know nothing about the GNR whether it is on the flat or over hills or even where it takes place.

Yeah he's fine, I think he views the forum from afar.

I'm not an expert when it comes to running, it has taken me 2 years to be able to run a full 5k! I entered the GNR because I needed a goal to help me take my progress forward because I simply wasn't improving. I also lost interest in running and didn't stay committed. Entering any race is the best way to help with running, it has (so far) been the best thing I've ever done. It's amazing how much you can achieve when your mind is committed to the task in hand, our bodies can cope with much more then we all realise. Weeks after managing a full 5k I entered a 10k race with a fair bit of trepidation and fear that it was too far for me to attempt so early on in my training. I actually managed it with minimal walking, and within a week I ran another 10k in full without walking. I've not looked back since. I'm hoping to to the GNR (13.1 miles) in around 2hrs25min.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:25 pm 
Manager
Manager

Cally wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

I'm not an expert when it comes to running, it has taken me 2 years to be able to run a full 5k! I entered the GNR because I needed a goal to help me take my progress forward because I simply wasn't improving. I also lost interest in running and didn't stay committed. Entering any race is the best way to help with running, it has (so far) been the best thing I've ever done. It's amazing how much you can achieve when your mind is committed to the task in hand, our bodies can cope with much more then we all realise. Weeks after managing a full 5k I entered a 10k race with a fair bit of trepidation and fear that it was too far for me to attempt so early on in my training. I actually managed it with minimal walking, and within a week I ran another 10k in full without walking. I've not looked back since. I'm hoping to to the GNR (13.1 miles) in around 2hrs25min.

When I did the run in 97, the conditions were perfect, fresh, breezy, and ideal for a run, which basically makes it way gradually down hill to the sea front.

I really enjoyed the event, but it was sooooooo long ago :cry:

Cally, with weeks left to train, you'll be rocking come that Sunday morning, and a mixture of being excited and a bit nervous, with anticipation. Fingers crossed the weather is kind, and once you've finished, consider a full Marathon. Back then, I couldn't conceive such a challenge, but years later, I took it on.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:01 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I miss running. I did the Birmingham one 2 years ago after 6 months of intensive training going from 10.30 minute/miles to 7.30 minute/miles. It's a great feeling when you get over that finish line and the adrenaline will take you the last KM. just need to remember to pace steady

Unfortunately my dodgy ankle and knee mean I can only do 5k at a time now pain free

Prediction League 2012-2013 Winner
World Cup 2014 Prediction League Winner

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:12 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Embers wrote:
Cally wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

When I did the run in 97, the conditions were perfect, fresh, breezy, and ideal for a run, which basically makes it way gradually down hill to the sea front.

I really enjoyed the event, but it was sooooooo long ago :cry:

Cally, with weeks left to train, you'll be rocking come that Sunday morning, and a mixture of being excited and a bit nervous, with anticipation. Fingers crossed the weather is kind, and once you've finished, consider a full Marathon. Back then, I couldn't conceive such a challenge, but years later, I took it on.

Cheers Embers, loads have told me that the event will spur me on. I can't wait, but I'm nervous. More for toilet breaks than the actual running part :lol:

Thanks for the donation too :-)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:15 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Muz wrote:
I miss running. I did the Birmingham one 2 years ago after 6 months of intensive training going from 10.30 minute/miles to 7.30 minute/miles. It's a great feeling when you get over that finish line and the adrenaline will take you the last KM. just need to remember to pace steady

Unfortunately my dodgy ankle and knee mean I can only do 5k at a time now pain free

Gutted :-( I've been lucky so far, remained fairly pain free and had no real set backs.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:14 pm 
Manager
Manager

Cally wrote:
Cheers Embers, loads have told me that the event will spur me on. I can't wait, but I'm nervous. More for toilet breaks than the actual running part :lol:

Thanks for the donation too :-)

For Christ sake, don't do a Paula Radcliffe.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:21 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Cally wrote:
Muz wrote:

Gutted :-( I've been lucky so far, remained fairly pain free and had no real set backs.

Enjoy it while it lasts, I went over on my ankle 1 mile into a 5 mile run. Bruised the bones at my ankle joint and damaged the ligament and couldn't run for 12 months. :(

Prediction League 2012-2013 Winner
World Cup 2014 Prediction League Winner

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:04 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks Left Back :-)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:10 am 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Proud of you ... and everyone who puts themselves through this sort of pain to help others.

Good luck - and try to enjoy the experience!

Hope our boys show as much determination this season....

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:05 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Proud of you ... and everyone who puts themselves through this sort of pain to help others.

Good luck - and try to enjoy the experience!

Hope our boys show as much determination this season....

Thanks very much, and thanks for the donation :-)

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

Cally wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

So, around 11 minutes 30 seconds per mile?

For that, I can donate a Tenner, but if you're up for a real personal challenge then, for 11 minutes per mile, I'll donate a total of 50 Quid which means you'd have to finish within 2 hours, 24 Minutes and 12 seconds.

If you could push yourself to 10 minutes and 30 seconds per mile then, I'll donate 100 Quids, but you'd have to finish within 2 hours 17 minutes and 39 seconds.

I don't have a Pound sign, cannot remember the ASCI code so use Quids.

This is the site Pace Calculator I used: -

http://www.all-about-marathon-training.com/pace-calculator.html

Let me know what you think?

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Cally wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

For that, I can donate a Tenner, but if you're up for a real personal challenge then, for 11 minutes per mile, I'll donate a total of 50 Quid which means you'd have to finish within 2 hours, 24 Minutes and 12 seconds.

If you could push yourself to 10 minutes and 30 seconds per mile then, I'll donate 100 Quids, but you'd have to finish within 2 hours 17 minutes and 39 seconds.

Oooooh, that adds a bit of spice to the challenge. Any road, how the fook haven't you got a pound sign on your keyboard? What is it instead, Levs, or Roubles?!

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:05 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Cally wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

Haha I like that very much! Challenge accepted, I will do my best :-)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:05 pm 
Manager
Manager

OK, my pledge is made in open forum for everyone to see.

Go for IT. :wink:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:06 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Moscow Wolf wrote:

Trouble is, she will have to fork out £200 for a flight to Bulgaria to kick you in the plums for non payment.

I have sent a bit to hasten your pace Cal, good luck,..... this should'nt be in Wolves Chat BTW :wink:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:11 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Rozza wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

Trouble is, she will have to fork out £200 for a flight to Bulgaria to kick you in the plums for non payment.

I have sent a bit to hasten your pace Cal, good luck,..... this should'nt be in Wolves Chat BTW :wink:

Cheers, love the message ;-)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:23 am 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

Pitbull knows my Bona Fide and however I might come across on here, I am chivalrous and honourable where woman are concerned to the extent of sometimes sounding patronising. :roll: :wink:

Give someone an attainable goal with suitable reward and you get enhanced motivation albeit, I wouldn't want young Cally to kill herself like those SAS selection soldiers doing the Fan Dance on the Brecon Beacons.

Thank fook she don't suffer with Gout eh! :lol:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:19 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Holy shit

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:02 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I know, doe get carrying it with you or you woe get more than three steps before collapsing!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:28 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

£40 away from £500!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:05 am 
Manager
Manager

Cally wrote:
£40 away from £500!

Well, after that fookin large ticket you posted......

I'll have to type a few words per line so that ...........

you don't have to cross the Tyne to read it. :roll:

What is the date of the RUN?

Does your total include my Pledge(s) depending on finishing time?

How is your progress coming along?

What are you eating or not eating in preparation?

How many hours per week are you running now?

How do you feel about the big day?

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:59 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Cally wrote:
£40 away from £500!

Well, after that fookin large ticket you posted......

I'll have to type a few words per line so that ...........

you don't have to cross the Tyne to read it. :roll:

Lol sorry :lol: I posted it from a mobile phone so it resized automatically for me. I'll try and sort it...

Sunday 13th September

No.

Very well, did 9 miles today, hopefully I can get to 10 before the event but all the advice I've been given tells me that 8 miles is enough. Experiencing a few aches and pains at the moment, hopefully nothing too serious.

The usual really. I have quite a carb heavy diet anyway and it has served me well so far. My biggest problem is not enough fruit & veg and the occasional takeaway. Once I return to work I'll get back into better habits

Not entirely sure, but I've been aiming for 13 miles a week.

Really excited. The running part doesn't bother me, it's the the more trivial aspects that are bothering me (traffic, toilet queues & breaks, last minute illnesses). I have a lift in, but still trying to work out where I'm being dropped off or it is better to catch the Metro!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

Great stuff and Afobe scored whilst reading this. :lol:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

I don't know what they recommend nowadays,
but usually a couple of days complete rest before the run
and a lot of pasta carbohydrates.

Try to find someone who is just a little bit faster than yourself
so that you can pace yourself without busting a gut and,
I'm sure I'll be a 100 quid lighter and you, a few kilos. :wink: :lol:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:27 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Great stuff and Afobe scored whilst reading this. :lol:

I didn't realise that KJ let them take reading material out on the field.

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Banter