Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:26 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Moscow Wolf wrote:
For every upside, there is a downside.

Sad News this:-

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-34239200

RIP.

Yeah so I saw, really sad. I saw a few people being treated by doctors but they didn't look serious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Great North Run 2015
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:40 pm 
Manager
Manager

Cally wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
For every upside, there is a downside.

Sad News this:-

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-34239200

RIP.

Yeah so I saw, really sad. I saw a few people being treated by doctors but they didn't look serious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some people may be unlucky, and a problem comes out of the blue, but some people are not prepared. For endurance events, you must train accordingly, be it Half-Marathon, Marathon, Triathlon, Iron-Man, etc.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:23 pm 
Manager
Manager

I bought a super-dooper pair of running shoes, £120 knocked down to £25 in the sale and knocked down a further £10 with a Sports Direct voucher yesterday, and tried them out for the first time in the afternoon. It was my first jog in about 8 years and I did 1.5 miles and it nearly killed me. I used to run quite fast (usually about 3.5 miles and had a quick recovery) but gave up 'cos of niggling injuries etc...I nearly puked up about 3 times and could barely lift my knees. They're really good running shoes but one of the ankles is sore when I start and a bit sore after I've finished.

Went again this morning and was a bit faster but jeez, am I out of condition. :oops: The ankle's a bit sore again.

Reckon I'll sadly never make the veteran's half marathon standard.

Does anyone wear those extra-cushioned insoles? Do you reckon they might help the ankle?

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:32 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
I bought a super-dooper pair of running shoes, £120 knocked down to £25 in the sale and knocked down a further £10 with a Sports Direct voucher yesterday, and tried them out for the first time in the afternoon. It was my first jog in about 8 years and I did 1.5 miles and it nearly killed me. I used to run quite fast (usually about 3.5 miles and had a quick recovery) but gave up 'cos of niggling injuries etc...I nearly puked up about 3 times and could barely lift my knees. They're really good running shoes but one of the ankles is sore when I start and a bit sore after I've finished.

Went again this morning and was a bit faster but jeez, am I out of condition. :oops: The ankle's a bit sore again.

Does anyone wear those extra-cushioned insoles? Do you reckon they might help the ankle?

Kin ell SEL, isn't swimming a better option? I haven't been running properly, since my last Marathon, in May 2013. My knees are knackered, but I'm adamant of making one more comeback, but I need to shift a couple of stone, to have a chance.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:51 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

Kin ell SEL, isn't swimming a better option? I haven't been running properly, since my last Marathon, in May 2013. My knees are knackered, but I'm adamant of making one more comeback, but I need to shift a couple of stone, to have a chance.

Having had bronchitis over New Year and a minor op which I'm waiting for the surgery to heal from I haven't been swimming for 3 weeks and was hoping that a bit of gentle jogging would help me swim faster through a bit of weight loss, and greater leg strength and flexibility. Well, that's the theory. :smt017

Still, it's whether the insoles are worth buying or are they just a waste of money? Perhaps Cally knows.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:32 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Get the insoles if you want to avoid ligament damage. I had custom insoles made for my feet due to my ankle ligament injury

Prediction League 2012-2013 Winner
World Cup 2014 Prediction League Winner

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:44 pm 
Manager
Manager

Muz wrote:
Get the insoles if you want to avoid ligament damage. I had custom insoles made for my feet due to my ankle ligament injury

Cheers Muz. I'm assuming, then, that they do have some effect and are not just a sales gimmick.

I went again this morning and for about two minutes the ankle was quite sore which concerns me some but after that I ran it off as it were. Anyhow, today's run was a lot easier than yesterday's. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:21 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
Muz wrote:

Cheers Muz. I'm assuming, then, that they do have some effect and are not just a sales gimmick.

I went again this morning and for about two minutes the ankle was quite sore which concerns me some but after that I ran it off as it were. Anyhow, today's run was a lot easier than yesterday's. :mrgreen:

SEL. bin the running shoes, you're gonna do yourself some irreparable injury whatever insoles you use.

I'm suggesting this with your best interests at heart - YOUR HEART. Get a bicycle, you're too old for pounding the streets, the vibrations and stress on your joints will come back to haunt you.

Now, in the same vein, I have suddenly got interested in lashing out big bucks for a Trek in Nepal, I would have to do a lot of WALKING as part of my build-up, but NO WAY at nearly 61, would I even dream of starting jogging again. I always had to strap my knees up for the first few jaunts during my younger years as my cartilages are dodgy to say the least.

Did you at least have a medical before you started your ROCKY exercise routine?

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:07 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
Muz wrote:

SEL. bin the running shoes, you're gonna do yourself some irreparable injury whatever insoles you use.

I'm suggesting this with your best interests at heart - YOUR HEART. Get a bicycle, you're too old for pounding the streets, the vibrations and stress on your joints will come back to haunt you.

Now, in the same vein, I have suddenly got interested in lashing out big bucks for a Trek in Nepal, I would have to do a lot of WALKING as part of my build-up, but NO WAY at nearly 61, would I even dream of starting jogging again. I always had to strap my knees up for the first few jaunts during my younger years as my cartilages are dodgy to say the least.

That's very kind and thoughtful, from one old adversary to another, :mrgreen: and you're right about the joints. I'm not too concerned about the heart as I'm not pushing myself that hard; I reckon a mile and a half jog isn't beyond the realm of acceptance. I must say that I push myself a lot harder at swimming although I only complete 500m these days and I manage to do that in around 11 minutes which is faster than I jog a mile and a half. A couple of years ago I used to complete 1Km in about 23 mins and even 1.5Km but then I was so knackered for the rest of the day I'd need to kip for an hour or more in the afternoon. :oops:

The doctor told me not long ago to not go jogging but to try fast walking instead although by my way of thinking my jogging rate isn't that far removed from "fast walking".

Last edited by SELWolf on Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:40 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

That's very kind and thoughtful, from one old adversary to another, :mrgreen: and you're right about the joints. I'm not too concerned about the heart as I'm not pushing myself that hard; I reckon a mile and a half jog isn't beyond the realm of acceptance. I must say that I push myself a lot harder at swimming although I only complete 1Km these days and I manage to do that in around 11 minutes which is faster than I jog a mile and a half. A couple of years ago I used to complete 2Km in about 23 mins and then I was so knackered for the rest of the day I'd need to kip for an hour or more in the afternoon. :oops:

The doctor told me not long ago to not go jogging but to try fast walking instead although by my way of thinking my jogging rate isn't that far removed from "fast walking".

And, you obviously listened to his advice and ignored it. :roll:

What is it that you're trying to achieve or prove? Normal walking whatever speed will not put any where near as much stress on your knees and ankles; fast walking always makes men look GAY in my humble opinion and looks bad for the Hips.

Honestly, try a bike or, walk up steps gently, that'll get your heart pounding and the calories burning and add a 10kg backpack if you want pain. Why not go to aerobics, I used to love it with all of those women in Lycra leotard and tights. Actually, I do recall getting picked up in one such establishment in Andover Hants and having a very pleasurable work-out that lasted a few months. :oops:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:07 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
I do recall getting picked up in one such establishment in Andover Hants and having a very pleasurable work-out that lasted a few months. :oops:

Are we talking more Mr Motivator, than the Green Goddess? All that sweat and adrenaline, can make a bloke feel a bit queer :lol:

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:

What is it that you're trying to achieve or prove? Normal walking whatever speed will not put any where near as much stress on your knees and ankles; fast walking always makes men look GAY in my humble opinion and looks bad for the Hips.

Honestly, try a bike or, walk up steps gently, that'll get your heart pounding and the calories burning and add a 10kg backpack if you want pain. Why not go to aerobics, I used to love it with all of those women in Lycra leotard and tights. Actually, I do recall getting picked up in one such establishment in Andover Hants and having a very pleasurable work-out that lasted a few months. :oops:

I did pilates for a couple of years following back issues but I found it so damned boring that I couldn't stand it any more.

Cycling in London for fun is a no-no imo, besides, I don't want a bike...but an aerobics class sounds good; the missus goes to one usually with our eldest daughter on Thursday mornings although they haven't encouraged me to join them. :roll:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:26 pm 
Manager
Manager

Anyhow, the gel insoles seem to do the trick. They feel a bit strange but they're very comfortable and I'm doing the run in even less time. :mrgreen:

Edit:
It's about 2km measured by Google maps (1.24 miles) so I ain't fast. :|

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:00 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

I did pilates for a couple of years following back issues but I found it so damned boring that I couldn't stand it any more.

Cycling in London for fun is a no-no imo, besides, I don't want a bike...but an aerobics class sounds good; the missus goes to one usually with our eldest daughter on Thursday mornings although they haven't encouraged me to join them. :roll:

Go with the Missus and daughter on Thursday morning and report back to us your findings. There must be a reason that they're not inviting you. :D

Blokes think that aerobics is only for women and cissy boys, until they try it. It is bloody hard work, especially if you use steps, but very rewarding if not only for the views. :P

I'm at the age where I could join the Yoga Club on the Black Sea coast beaches. I watched them old foggies from my hotel balcony whilst having a beer for breakfast and smoking my Kent cigarettes and thought, ''No, I ain't ready for that yet''. :lol:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:15 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:

Go with the Missus and daughter on Thursday morning and report back to us your findings. There must be a reason that they're not inviting you. :D

I put it to them last night that I could go today and they both fell about laughing. Apparently my daughter is the only member who could be regarded as nubile (it gives her a chance to bond with her mum and provides her with a bit of exercise) but the rest are seemingly quite old, paunchy and random. The class is called "Legs, Bums and Tums" and they said that I just wouldn't fit in so I've acknowledged that it isn't for me. :oops:

Anyhow, I enjoyed my run today with my rubbery gel inserts which provided an extra cushion. Or at least, I enjoyed it after I'd had the shower :lol:...and I'm feeling that it's doing me some good.

And as for the yoga, I agree. To me it's like pilates...rather dull although it obviously is very beneficial. I also find yoga types are right up their own arseholes as well. With running and swimming you can just get on with it on your own and when you want and enjoy a bit of activity. Doing yoga at home is a bit like watching paint dry imo.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:30 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Got my place for this year's GNR :D I best start running again really...I haven't ventured out since...er...September :oops:

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Banter