Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Banter

Share On:

Post subject: Charlie Gard
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:12 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07 ... oduce-new/

This is a tragic case of nurture versus nature in my opinion. One would expect that parents would fight as much as they can to give their baby the best in life, but when the best in life is darkness and pain when is enough enough?
Every hurdle of expertise and law have been tried and failed yet still they push on to save their baby who has no chance of any quality of life at all, is it now becoming more about them than it is about their child?
Is there a final answer to this?

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Charlie Gard
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:57 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Rozza wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/13/charlie-gards-parents-return-court-given-48-hours-produce-new/

This is a tragic case of nurture versus nature in my opinion. One would expect that parents would fight as much as they can to give their baby the best in life, but when the best in life is darkness and pain when is enough enough?
Every hurdle of expertise and law have been tried and failed yet still they push on to save their baby who has no chance of any quality of life at all, is it now becoming more about them than it is about their child?

It is a dreadful situation and the parents cannot think objectively about this any more. Isn't the legal process so difficult though with the adversarial approach?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
Rozza wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/13/charlie-gards-parents-return-court-given-48-hours-produce-new/

It is a dreadful situation and the parents cannot think objectively about this any more. Isn't the legal process so difficult though with the adversarial approach?

The Courts have acted like the "The Super Vet". There is a man who no matter what the poor pets parents say, always acts in his own ethical way and will put no creature through a useless procedure that makes them live out what's left of their life in misery and pain.

Someone had to take two steps back and think ( objectively) for the child. Blind hope is an apt phrase.

Totally understand the parents didn't want to give up. However, the quality of life of the poor kid needed clarity of thought. The legal principle in the main is not there for these poor parents. It is there to protect the young and vulnerable from crack pots and religious zealots. The principle is correct.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:43 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Left back wrote:
Rozza wrote:

Not really because of one thing and one thing only, emotion. Both the law and medicine pay no heed to emotion, neither does the application of both those institutes. They both consider that Charlie should be left to circumstance, no emotion, no self interest, no agendas, just hundreds of years of custom and practice.
To think objectively you take advice to assist the process, consistently ignoring the best advice suits no one really.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:26 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Rozza wrote:
Left back wrote:
Rozza wrote:

Not really because of one thing and one thing only, emotion. Both the law and medicine pay no heed to emotion, neither does the application of both those institutes. They both consider that Charlie should be left to circumstance, no emotion, no self interest, no agendas, just hundreds of years of custom and practice.
To think objectively you take advice to assist the process, consistently ignoring the best advice suits no one really.

I agree with what you are saying about the need to have a totally objective approach but I think having an open court where the parents are calling doctors liars and shouting at the judge just makes it a public spectacle that is not helpful.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:

I agree with this, I feel it maybe time to end this, before it all gets out of hand, but that's easy for me to say, its not my child.

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Banter