Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Share On:

Author Message
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:18 pm 
Offline
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:33 pm
Posts: 1525
Location: WOLVERHAMPTON
I don't remember that what was on offer back in the 70s was as KK describes,
but then I'm not trying to impress anyone.
The clue was how many attended games at Molineux and went away too.
I love the way Wolves play the game now,and I loved the way we played back then
and back into the late 40s and 50s,its all relative ay it.
The early 50s team was the best Wolves team I've ever seen,given the conditions
they played in,we generally smashed the crap out of every other team.
I've heard this Wolves team described as like watching Barcelona,thats a bit of a stretch for me.
I watch Barca every week and just can't see that they would have the problem with
QPR that we did.
I just wish I could go watch Nuno's team,just cannot do it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:27 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:35 pm
Posts: 8518
wolfrunna wrote:
I don't remember that what was on offer back in the 70s was as KK describes,
but then I'm not trying to impress anyone.
The clue was how many attended games at Molineux and went away too.
I love the way Wolves play the game now,and I loved the way we played back then
and back into the late 40s and 50s,its all relative ay it.
The early 50s team was the best Wolves team I've ever seen,given the conditions
they played in,we generally smashed the crap out of every other team.
I've heard this Wolves team described as like watching Barcelona,thats a bit of a stretch for me.
I watch Barca every week and just can't see that they would have the problem with
QPR that we did.
I just wish I could go watch Nuno's team,just cannot do it.


Me too, but it wasn't all plain sailing, They struggled at times and I can remember supporters moaning that they weren't as good a footballing side than them down the A41.
However, they had that habit of winning and being able to crush teams.

The present team plays some lovely football at times although I still have a nagging doubt that they are clinical enough.

_________________
http://www.rugusavay.com/wp-content/upl ... otes-2.jpg


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:48 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22983
Location: Cannock.
The problem I have with the 1970s team is that the rebuild started under Ronnie Allen was never completed.
Ronnie left us the final gift of Kenny Hibbitt but for the next half decade into the seventies the good signings stopped with tat signed by his successor.
I always wondered what might have been if Ronnie had been given those same years given his eye for talent.
Players such as Parkes, Parmer and McCalle were very lucky boys to be given opportunities because nobody at the Wolves was capable of finding better.

And it was a very low bar to better those three.

Ronnie Allens record suggests he would have found at least five more high class players which would have made Wolves consistently competitive in the League.

_________________
Nuno is the first Wolves coach I have believed in since the internet was invented.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:47 pm 
Offline
First XI
First XI
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 2383
knocker knowles wrote:
The problem I have with the 1970s team is that the rebuild started under Ronnie Allen was never completed.
Ronnie left us the final gift of Kenny Hibbitt but for the next half decade into the seventies the good signings stopped with tat signed by his successor.
I always wondered what might have been if Ronnie had been given those same years given his eye for talent.
Players such as Parkes, Parmer and McCalle were very lucky boys to be given opportunities because nobody at the Wolves was capable of finding better.

And it was a very low bar to better those three.

Ronnie Allens record suggests he would have found at least five more high class players which would have made Wolves consistently competitive in the League.


A bit harsh I feel , McCalle is in our 'Hall of Fame' Palmer Played almost 500 times and probably will be inducted. Lofty played over 300 games for us. As I remember we tried to replace him quite a few times and he always came back........good on him

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:35 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:24 pm
Posts: 14528
Location: My mind's eye
we have loads of players who were tosh but made tons of appearances for us, some of them quite recently 8)

_________________
Say no to hoof!!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:41 am 
Offline
First XI
First XI
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 2383
Ironfistedmonk wrote:
we have loads of players who were tosh but made tons of appearances for us, some of them quite recently 8)


Agreed, but the 3 Mr Knowles mentioned played when we were good, I wonder how many fans from other clubs (and there ain't too many) would say any of their own players who played in European Finals were crap.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:23 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22983
Location: Cannock.
CRADLEY DAVE wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:
we have loads of players who were tosh but made tons of appearances for us, some of them quite recently 8)


Agreed, but the 3 Mr Knowles mentioned played when we were good, I wonder how many fans from other clubs (and there ain't too many) would say any of their own players who played in European Finals were crap.


I thought those players were carried by the better players and a good manager would have upgraded on those positions.

I thought Wolves had two high quality defenders, multi dimensional, in Frank Munro and Derek Parkin who were far better than the others.
Munro an eight out of ten defender, Parkin a nine out of ten defender, both consistently hitting that mark.

_________________
Nuno is the first Wolves coach I have believed in since the internet was invented.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:04 am 
Offline
First XI
First XI
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 2383
knocker knowles wrote:
CRADLEY DAVE wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:
we have loads of players who were tosh but made tons of appearances for us, some of them quite recently 8)


Agreed, but the 3 Mr Knowles mentioned played when we were good, I wonder how many fans from other clubs (and there ain't too many) would say any of their own players who played in European Finals were crap.


I thought those players were carried by the better players and a good manager would have upgraded on those positions.

I thought Wolves had two high quality defenders, multi dimensional, in Frank Munro and Derek Parkin who were far better than the others.
Munro an eight out of ten defender, Parkin a nine out of ten defender, both consistently hitting that mark.


I agree about Munro & Parkin, absolutely top drawer, but in your judgement half of our defence plus the goalkeeper were crap. I am amazed we managed to get so many exceptional results away against top European sides if they were so bad.........opinions and arseholes hey

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 7175
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
Sometimes the one or two top drawer players inspire / drive forward the "lesser" players in a team. You hardly ever get 11 top drawer players in any team.

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:12 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 7175
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
My arsehole is valued but my opinion is off for a shit, ay it, bostin...Ar.... :lol: :lol:

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:03 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:59 pm
Posts: 18926
Location: WV4 and WL4
gladbachwolf wrote:
My arsehole is valued but my opinion is off for a shit, ay it, bostin...Ar.... :lol: :lol:


I take it you wouldn't flog your arse then, only the best offers :lol:

_________________
Thank you very much for Stevie Bull. Thank you very much, thank you very, very, very much.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:23 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22983
Location: Cannock.
we have loads of players who were tosh but made tons of appearances for us, some of them quite recently 8)[/quote]

Agreed, but the 3 Mr Knowles mentioned played when we were good, I wonder how many fans from other clubs (and there ain't too many) would say any of their own players who played in European Finals were crap.[/quote]

I thought those players were carried by the better players and a good manager would have upgraded on those positions.

I thought Wolves had two high quality defenders, multi dimensional, in Frank Munro and Derek Parkin who were far better than the others.
Munro an eight out of ten defender, Parkin a nine out of ten defender, both consistently hitting that mark.[/quote]

I agree about Munro & Parkin, absolutely top drawer, but in your judgement half of our defence plus the goalkeeper were crap. I am amazed we managed to get so many exceptional results away against top European sides if they were so bad.........opinions and arseholes hey[/quote]

Are you saying that for a six or seven year span you had no concerns that Wolves couldn't upgrade on Parkes, Palmer and McCalle.

In any generation a good judge of a player is his first touch, without good control you will struggle.
Palmer and McCalle hardly developed key aspects of their game which in turn meant Wolves struggled to develop as a team.
If either produced a six out of ten performance it was a get the champagne out moment.

_________________
Nuno is the first Wolves coach I have believed in since the internet was invented.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:09 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 15577
Location: Moved
Onions and apples.

It's not just the individual players, the whole game has changed. The only common ground is kicking a football and even that's changed beyond recognition ( except for being round )

Each generation belongs in it's time.

_________________
Dyslexics are teople poo


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:48 pm 
Offline
First XI
First XI
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:02 pm
Posts: 2383
knocker knowles wrote:
we have loads of players who were tosh but made tons of appearances for us, some of them quite recently 8)


Agreed, but the 3 Mr Knowles mentioned played when we were good, I wonder how many fans from other clubs (and there ain't too many) would say any of their own players who played in European Finals were crap.[/quote]

I thought those players were carried by the better players and a good manager would have upgraded on those positions.

I thought Wolves had two high quality defenders, multi dimensional, in Frank Munro and Derek Parkin who were far better than the others.
Munro an eight out of ten defender, Parkin a nine out of ten defender, both consistently hitting that mark.[/quote]

I agree about Munro & Parkin, absolutely top drawer, but in your judgement half of our defence plus the goalkeeper were crap. I am amazed we managed to get so many exceptional results away against top European sides if they were so bad.........opinions and arseholes hey[/quote]

Are you saying that for a six or seven year span you had no concerns that Wolves couldn't upgrade on Parkes, Palmer and McCalle.

In any generation a good judge of a player is his first touch, without good control you will struggle.
Palmer and McCalle hardly developed key aspects of their game which in turn meant Wolves struggled to develop as a team.I do get your point, the 3 we are discussing were never the crowds favourites but I remember them all fondly, especially Geoff who stuck by us when we were in steep decline.

http://www.wolvesheroes.com/2013/04/15/ ... pecialist/

Above is a good piece on McCall he gives his views on his fellow defenders

If either produced a six out of ten performance it was a get the champagne out moment.[/quote]

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:09 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:26 am
Posts: 23348
Location: South East Bulgaria
knocker knowles wrote:
In any generation a good judge of a player is his first touch, without good control you will struggle.
Palmer and McCalle hardly developed key aspects of their game which in turn meant Wolves struggled to develop as a team.
If either produced a six out of ten performance it was a get the champagne out moment.


Not wishing to sound pedantic, but there is always an exception to the rule; Ron Saunders (I think) let Bully go from the Boggies because of his poor first touch and yet, for a Stork, he kept banging them into the onion bag and even managed to appear for his country on a few occasions. If you have a weakness, you compensate by using other strengths - thoughts!

_________________
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:41 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:24 pm
Posts: 14528
Location: My mind's eye
Moscow Wolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
In any generation a good judge of a player is his first touch, without good control you will struggle.
Palmer and McCalle hardly developed key aspects of their game which in turn meant Wolves struggled to develop as a team.
If either produced a six out of ten performance it was a get the champagne out moment.


Not wishing to sound pedantic, but there is always an exception to the rule; Ron Saunders (I think) let Bully go from the Boggies because of his poor first touch and yet, for a Stork, he kept banging them into the onion bag and even managed to appear for his country on a few occasions. If you have a weakness, you compensate by using other strengths - thoughts!


Partly, but working on improving your weaknesses would be better for a professional footballer to do

_________________
Say no to hoof!!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:06 pm 
Offline
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:33 pm
Posts: 1525
Location: WOLVERHAMPTON
Ironfistedmonk wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
In any generation a good judge of a player is his first touch, without good control you will struggle.
Palmer and McCalle hardly developed key aspects of their game which in turn meant Wolves struggled to develop as a team.
If either produced a six out of ten performance it was a get the champagne out moment.


Not wishing to sound pedantic, but there is always an exception to the rule; Ron Saunders (I think) let Bully go from the Boggies because of his poor first touch and yet, for a Stork, he kept banging them into the onion bag and even managed to appear for his country on a few occasions. If you have a weakness, you compensate by using other strengths - thoughts!


Partly, but working on improving your weaknesses would be better for a professional footballer to do


Total agreement from me.
If you have settled for being less than you could be with work on your weakness's,I just don't
understand that.
Players with good control and comfort with both feet have put in the work to achieve their ability,
the lesser players have not.
I know Bully put in many hours work on his left foot because he was missing chances by having
to try to work the ball on to his good foot.
I have a lot of time for Jota,two good feet,good control and works so hard for the team.
As much as we all rate Neves,in the games I have seen on the TV,I have yet to see his
left foot touch the ball yet.
Not having seen enough of him,I can't say whether he is comfortable with both feet,or not.
As a boy,I was taught to be the very best you can be at what you do,sound advice to anyone
no matter what you do.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:35 pm 
Offline
First XI
First XI
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:32 pm
Posts: 1973
Moscow Wolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
In any generation a good judge of a player is his first touch, without good control you will struggle.
Palmer and McCalle hardly developed key aspects of their game which in turn meant Wolves struggled to develop as a team.
If either produced a six out of ten performance it was a get the champagne out moment.


Not wishing to sound pedantic, but there is always an exception to the rule; Ron Saunders (I think) let Bully go from the Boggies because of his poor first touch and yet, for a Stork, he kept banging them into the onion bag and even managed to appear for his country on a few occasions. If you have a weakness, you compensate by using other strengths - thoughts!


I think Saunders let Bully go because he had a queue of what he saw as better options ahead of him. He did though if I remember correctly say something along the lines of what you mentioned only for Turner to respond with "yes but his second ends up in the back of the net"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:41 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34555
Location: S E London, near Kent
Cymru Wolf wrote:
I think Saunders let Bully go because he had a queue of what he saw as better options ahead of him. He did though if I remember correctly say something along the lines of what you mentioned only for Turner to respond with "yes but his second ends up in the back of the net"

Wasn't it Taylor who said that?

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:13 pm 
Offline
First XI
First XI
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:32 pm
Posts: 1973
SELWolf wrote:
Cymru Wolf wrote:
I think Saunders let Bully go because he had a queue of what he saw as better options ahead of him. He did though if I remember correctly say something along the lines of what you mentioned only for Turner to respond with "yes but his second ends up in the back of the net"

Wasn't it Taylor who said that?


Made me check there Sel.

Definately Turner who said 'his second touch ends up in the net' but I couldn't see anything linking the initial quote to Saunders :?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:58 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34555
Location: S E London, near Kent
Cymru Wolf wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
Cymru Wolf wrote:
I think Saunders let Bully go because he had a queue of what he saw as better options ahead of him. He did though if I remember correctly say something along the lines of what you mentioned only for Turner to respond with "yes but his second ends up in the back of the net"

Wasn't it Taylor who said that?


Made me check there Sel.

Definately Turner who said 'his second touch ends up in the net' but I couldn't see anything linking the initial quote to Saunders :?

Turner, OK. It began with a T and ended with an r. 8)
I think Taylor must have quoted him though. :wink:

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:41 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:26 am
Posts: 23348
Location: South East Bulgaria
SELWolf wrote:
Cymru Wolf wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
Wasn't it Taylor who said that?


Made me check there Sel.

Definately Turner who said 'his second touch ends up in the net' but I couldn't see anything linking the initial quote to Saunders :?

Turner, OK. It began with a T and ended with an r. 8)
I think Taylor must have quoted him though. :wink:


TAYLOR didn't like Bully too much; ended his England career and then, when managing us, tried to sell him off. Turner has to take all of the credit for Bully's Wolves and England career in my opinion.

_________________
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:44 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34555
Location: S E London, near Kent
Moscow Wolf wrote:

TAYLOR didn't like Bully too much; ended his England career and then, when managing us, tried to sell him off. Turner has to take all of the credit for Bully's Wolves and England career in my opinion.

Indeed. However, I have a recollection of Taylor saying it when he was talking about Bully at a match he was co-commentator at one match at the Mol.

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

The Wolf will always be free to its members, but if you feel you would like to contribute towards the running costs, than please feel free to donate.

 

 

Disclaimer : This forum is for the general discussion/topic of Wolverhampton Wanderers. What is said within the forum is personal opinions, and The Wolf will not be held responsible. Your ip is logged for security reasons. The forum is viewable by the public and any topics you disclose/discuss can be viewed by the public. Some topics on this forum may only be suitable for those aged 18+.

cron