Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat

Share On:

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:53 pm 
Wolves Academy
Wolves Academy

I have a feeling we could well go on to be the most successful newly promoted team ever.
Does anyone even expect us to be in a relegation battle?

Heart says top 6. Head says top 10 for me.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

We're gonna win the World Cup fust.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:46 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I'd like to think that we can get a comfortable mid-table finish. We do need to strengthen for that though, Fulham Cardiff and Villa all beat us this season and we struggled against Swansea in the cup. We create a lot but still don't finish enough of the chances made. I think that we need cover for the wing backs, more high level competition in central midfield and an upgrade at Goalkeeper too.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

Consolidation the name of the game for next season. Stay up. Build the fan base world wide, expand the stadium in 19, and then the following year go for world domination. Easy.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:43 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Hope to stay up comfortably and get some more "I was there" moments. Maybe upset a couple of the big boys as well.
It'll be nice to rock up at places like Stamford Bridge & Old Trafford thinking that we might actually have a decent chance of coming away with summat.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:40 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Staying in the division needs to be addressed fust, before we then move on to the, gulp, next level.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

Old Wulf wrote:
I have a feeling we could well go on to be the most successful newly promoted team ever.

Clough won the title with Forest straight after promotion then won the European Cup two years in a row, so we're going to have to go some to be the most successful newly-promoted team ever.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:13 pm 
Wolves Academy
Wolves Academy

shropswolf wrote:
Old Wulf wrote:

Clough won the title with Forest straight after promotion then won the European Cup two years in a row, so we're going to have to go some to be the most successful newly-promoted team ever.

Well we won't win the European Cup, that's a fact....
I was talking Premier League era. Anyone know what the most successful 1st season is?

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

Forest finished 3rd after promotion when their team included Stan Collymore.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:52 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Rozza wrote:
Staying in the division needs to be addressed fust, before we then move on to the, gulp, next level.

But we do have Senor Pantaloon now.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:53 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Left back wrote:
Rozza wrote:

One Senor Pantaloon does not a summer make. I myself feel that all the planets of success are now aligned for Wolves but as a fan and a realist I know our squad is nowhere near ready for the step up to the premiership.
We have the backing, we have the funding, we have the wherewithal to REALLY make a name for ourselves now but at present we do not have the squad. Call me a sad old wanker, but the murmurings of a top 4/10 finish are just plain daft at present.
The premiership this season has shown just how teams of Wolves stature can fall on their arses pretty quickly, Stoke, Albion and indeed Swansea are at some point teams that people on this board wished us to emulate or become. Well they shit it day they.

The Next Level remains a distant and cloudy concept of the fool, because it doe exist and it has no substance. In August we commence the Next Level, lets see how it guz.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:07 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

I would be disappointed if we were in a relegation dogfight. I would be happy with about 12th - with some great wins - and some inexplicable defeats!

I really do not want another of those 'backs to the wall; park the bus; hope for a breakaway; hope the opposition hit the woodwork etc etc and our keeper has a blinder....' seasons. It really did get depressing knowing week in week out that we had little chance of victory - unless a pretty dull and boring one!

I am confident there will be enough sides in there that will be inferior to us, and enough managers that do not have Nuno's talent for bringing the best out of people.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:14 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Rozza wrote:
Left back wrote:
Rozza wrote:

One Senor Pantaloon does not a summer make. I myself feel that all the planets of success are now aligned for Wolves but as a fan and a realist I know our squad is nowhere near ready for the step up to the premiership.
We have the backing, we have the funding, we have the wherewithal to REALLY make a name for ourselves now but at present we do not have the squad. Call me a sad old wanker, but the murmurings of a top 4/10 finish are just plain daft at present.
The premiership this season has shown just how teams of Wolves stature can fall on their arses pretty quickly, Stoke, Albion and indeed Swansea are at some point teams that people on this board wished us to emulate or become. Well they shit it day they.

The Next Level remains a distant and cloudy concept of the fool, because it doe exist and it has no substance. In August we commence the Next Level, lets see how it guz.

Oh Rozza! You mean my signature has no meaning. It's been up there for 3 years and I only added the Euros bit a couple of weeks ago. :lol: Seriously, I get what you are saying and you will see from my first post in this thread that I agree there is a lot to do. I do think though that with this manager and the resources we have available we are capable of doing enough to stay up and be comfortable enough not to be almost certs for relegation halfway through the season. The main thing is that we have been enjoyable to watch this last season (I can't remember the last time I could say that) and I'm hoping we can enjoy a few of the matches next season.

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:44 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

It's not next season that worries me, it's the following one and the dreaded 'second season syndrome'. It'll be great to finish top half, but it'll count for nothing if we struggle in the next campaign. For once, I'd be happy with a bit of mid-table mediocrity so we can build a decent team to establish ourselves with.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

The team behind the team will make the difference this time round. I'm positively glowing.

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:01 am 
Manager
Manager

I stupidly placed a bet on us finishing top four :shock:

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

Mowgli wrote:
I stupidly placed a bet on us finishing top four :shock:

You was lost in the flood mate, to quote The Boss. It all depends on the amount of investment and who we bring in. As we stand, although we have been a diamond in the ruff in the Chump, the present squad would just about survive in the Premiership. Let`s see who comes in. Exciting times.

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:07 pm 

I think 'just about survive' is a bit negative! With NO additions and NO departures I would expect us to have the occasional hammering, but to beat quite a few sides in there (Palace, Cardiff, Huddersfield, West Ham, Newcastle, and so on).

I think we would finish about 14th and be safe with several games to go.

If we recruit reasonably well and the side gels quickly (as this last year) then I would be expecting between 12th and 10th, with the mouth-watering possibility of recruiting even better and aiming for top 8 the following year....

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

We will push City all the way after an opening day 5-4 injury time defeat at The Ethiad, but just fall short. Still, with the League Cup in the bag, it will be Champions League footy for us :lol:

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:34 am 
Manager
Manager

On balance I would be happy with finishing 12th or above. Any lower and we may fail to attract quality players as they may perceive us as future relegation candidates. But I am quietly hoping we will finish in the top half and then I will be very satisfied indeed. Realistically any expectations of European football will need to be put on hold for at least a couple of seasons. But I do agree with Captain Sensible and enjoy the 'Happy Talk'.

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:38 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
We will push City all the way after an opening day 5-4 injury time defeat at The Ethiad, but just fall short. Still, with the League Cup in the bag, it will be Champions League footy for us :lol:

So....what new ales are on offer at the Lychgate Tavern, sir..???

:lol: :lol:

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:40 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Embers wrote:

So....what new ales are on offer at the Lychgate Tavern, sir..???

:lol: :lol:

Ale a plenty sir, and I hope sir had a jolly good time in the Cypriot sunshine.

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:23 am 
Manager
Manager

I'll try to get a photo of the Embers bar and restaurant at Parrakilis beach..

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:33 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

gladbachwolf wrote:

I was in Barcelona last year and came across a bar called Growlers :lol:

My wife never tired of hearing me ask her if I could get into growlers while they are open, well, until she kicked me in the plums that is.

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:38 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Mid-table, half the league are dross.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:07 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:

I was in Barcelona last year and came across a bar called Growlers :lol:

My wife never tired of hearing me ask her if I could get into growlers while they are open, well, until she kicked me in the plums that is.

I always enjoyed a beer in The Cockwell Inn. It somehow had a"ring" to it.

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:25 pm 
First XI
First XI

10th. Any better and we will have done very well for our first season back. Much depends on our signings though, obviously.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:42 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I've had this nagging feeling of 12th since promotion was confirmed, and I'm sticking with it.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:29 am 
Manager
Manager

Really difficult to work out if the Wolves Championship squad has a bit of Graeme Hick flat track bully about it.
Designed to take advantage of poor sides by playing on the front foot.

But when backed up does it suddenly show its frailty and come under pressure.

This is a massive test for Nuno and a crop of relatively young players.

Certainly going to be a huge learning curve for Ruben Neves.

Key additions this summer so important.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

I`ll be happy with 14th or above. Survival and I will be even happier.

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat