Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat

Share On:

Post subject: Just Got Back - Palace
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:40 am 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

What a great day! Not a great performance, but a great day, despite having to share a table back to the Cotswolds with 2 very drunk Villa fans on their way back to Evesham.... And they were convinced we will only be in the Prem for 2 years....

Palace played nice football, but couldn't break us down. And our defending in and around the box was fabulous. Back 3 were the stars today - and of course the genius that is Ruo Patricio! How DID he manage that double save?? Just brilliant!!!

Kept our shape well, but not the free-flowing stuff we have come to expect. Gave the ball away much more than usual. Hodgson had set them up to foil our diagonal out-ball, and we had set up to nullify Zaha. Meant the first half the teams rather cancelled each other out. Goal utterly stunning, and again a great ball from Jimenez to Doc, and Hennessy has ALWAYS been suspect at near post... (and perhaps being booed throughout didn't help!)

Patricio - 9 - stunning saves. One semi-flap when he realised he was not going to make the catch, but otherwise well-night perfect. Has already paid pack his fee - whatever it was!
Bennett - 8.5 - super game. Absolute rock. And I love the fact that - surrounded by better footballers - he sticks to what he does best and does not try to emulate. Nullified Zaha.
Coady - 8.5 - Captain Fantastic again. Nipped in and snuffed out many a half chance on edge of box, and calmness itself in playing ball out. England call-up surely only a matter of time?
Boly - 8.5 - another almost faultless performance - and Zaha moved across after getting no change on left... and instantly regretted it!
Doc - 8.5 - combined with Bennett to neutralise threat of Zaha, and the goal just sublime. If only Jota could finish as deadly...!
Neves - 7 - worked socks off - as ever - but the most wayward I've seen him with passing. As always, clattered his ankles twice in first 10 minutes.
Moutinho - 7 - another tidy and busy performance, unhurried and unflustered. Rash challenge to get booked.
Jonny - 7.5 - another who worked so effectively to nullify their wide men, and some great challenges!
Costa - 7.5 - getting better and better. Some magical moments to wriggle free, but final ball just not quite working for him. Will get plenty of assists as season wears on...
Jimenez - 8.5 - this guy's workrate is PHENOMENAL. The antithesis of a 'prima donna international foreigner...'. Brilliant assist (again!) for goal. Denied by excellent Hennessy save in 1st half.
Jota - 6 - again worked and worked, but just not happening in final 25. Surprised he stayed on when Cav came on. Perhaps Costa was feeling pace after injury last week?? Just hope something happens for the lad soon. Nuno must be VERY tempted to give Cav a chance....

Cavaleiro - 7 - a stunning dipping strike we all thought was in for 2nd before smashing into bar... Looks to be loving football. Replaced Jimenez down middle. Surely will start soon?
Saiss - no surprise to see him come on - but as a replacement CF??? (Cav pushed wider). not a great moment for Bonatini - to realise Nuno preferred both Cav and Saiss up front down middle to him....
Traore - last few minutes - looked as if he might do 'a West Ham' a couple of times. What an impact sub to have!

Great support from crowd - as ever! Just a bit surprised with subs today. Bit later than usual. Thought Jota would be first to be hooked. Presumably Saiss was because we were worried at loss of height for defending corners & free kicks after Jimenez gone?? And to provide a bit of bite and stop them building from back.

All in all a nice day out - despite the incessant rain. Now a relaxing international break....

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:43 am 
Manager
Manager

Watching the game on stream the substitution of Saiss on made sense in respect that an English coach in the opposite dugout would likely go long ball in the last ten minutes.

Adding a player who enjoys heading the ball in duels seemed correct. The only threat Palace were offering were from set piece or direct play.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:08 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Watching the game on stream the substitution of Saiss on made sense in respect that an English coach in the opposite dugout would likely go long ball in the last ten minutes.

Adding a player who enjoys heading the ball in duels seemed correct. The only threat Palace were offering were from set piece or direct play.

Good and well made point. Nuno thinks before he acts. Certain other managers in the past used their watches to determine substitutions, along with a set rotation no matter what the situation on the pitch.

Nuno is the best we have ever had in my lifetime.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:20 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Good and well made point. Nuno thinks before he acts. Certain other managers in the past used their watches to determine substitutions, along with a set rotation no matter what the situation on the pitch.

Nuno is the best we have ever had in my lifetime.

Nuno did that a couple of times last season by bringing on N'Diaye and turning to what resembled a 5-3-2 (3-5-2) rather than the normal 3-4-3.

Allowing the wing-backs to be more defensive while adding an extra body in midfield but keeping an attacking outlet with two forwards.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:

Good point, well made...as they say. :wink:

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:

It could well have ben down to Ian Cathro's researches on the oppo:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... y-14863606

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:47 pm 
Manager
Manager

I thought the conditions and the wet surface caused both sides to give the ball away, more than expected, but Wolves controlled the game by and large and limited Palace to half chances apart from the Patricio double-save. Jiminez needs more help from Costa and Jota who need to be more clinical in front of goal. It's a shame as they cause the opposition problems and create opportunities, but they seem to be indecisive. Fortunately our well marshalled defence with Rui behind them, are helping us to protect small leads.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
I thought the conditions and the wet surface caused both sides to give the ball away, more than expected, but Wolves controlled the game by and large and limited Palace to half chances apart from the Patricio double-save. Jiminez needs more help from Costa and Jota who need to be more clinical in front of goal. It's a shame as they cause the opposition problems and create opportunities, but they seem to be indecisive. Fortunately our well marshalled defence with Rui behind them, are helping us to protect small leads.

Did you go, our Dave? :shock:

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:14 pm 
Manager
Manager

I thought with the heavy conditions and play moving up and down constantly Wolves found their two in the middle starting to tire around 70 to 80 minutes.

Neves seemed quite heavy legged and laboured towards the end, not quite at it as they say compared to during the first half.

Another reason to add Saiss even in a more forward role.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:36 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I'm starting to get a bit worried about Jota. He was dreadful in the first half yesterday. I don't know if he's carrying an injury, or if he's struggling for confidence, but he looks a shadow of the player we had this time last year and the crowd are starting to notice.

We've seen the player he can be, so he's definitely worth persevering with, but it really needs to click for him sooner rather than later.

Overall though it was a solid performance in a difficult game. I don't think a draw would have flattered Palace, but our resilience in defence won the day. Rui Patricio is proving to be one hell of a signing.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:52 pm 
Manager
Manager

lankywolf wrote:
I'm starting to get a bit worried about Jota. He was dreadful in the first half yesterday. I don't know if he's carrying an injury, or if he's struggling for confidence, but he looks a shadow of the player we had this time last year and the crowd are starting to notice.

We've seen the player he can be, so he's definitely worth persevering with, but it really needs to click for him sooner rather than later.

Overall though it was a solid performance in a difficult game. I don't think a draw would have flattered Palace, but our resilience in defence won the day. Rui Patricio is proving to be one hell of a signing.

Good points, Lanky. It was, indeed, a war of attrition but all's well which ends well.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:04 am 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
Embers wrote:

Nope, watched a local tributary instead. What amused me was that Woy looked absolutely bedraggled in the rain, yet he appeared for the second half all coiffured, like a new man. He'd obviously had the bloody hair dryer on :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:23 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
Embers wrote:

Nope, watched a local tributary instead. What amused me was that Woy looked absolutely bedraggled in the rain, yet he appeared for the second half all coiffured, like a new man. He'd obviously had the bloody hair dryer on :lol:

:mrgreen:

I was in the main stand facing the driving rain but far enough back (Row 20) to not be affected. Someone I know was in row 6 and was soaked. He came to sit by me in the second half in a vacant seat. We were both freezing cold, though.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:10 pm 

Quite cosy in Row 14 with the Wolves fans.

Sat next to a really nice guy from Oundle - like me a home and away STH. He was surprised I knew his small market town in Northants, and have visited a number of times.

You don't ONLY meet drunken numpties from ******* (insert your own favourite 'unpleasant' bit of Wolverhampton suburbia)!!

Great support, though, as always! (Just wish the extremes of language and boorishness could be left at home though!)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:21 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Quite cosy in Row 14 with the Wolves fans.

Sat next to a really nice guy from Oundle - like me a home and away STH. He was surprised I knew his small market town in Northants, and have visited a number of times.

You don't ONLY meet drunken numpties from ******* (insert your own favourite 'unpleasant' bit of Wolverhampton suburbia)!!

Great support, though, as always! (Just wish the extremes of language and boorishness could be left at home though!)

Indeed.
BTW,you usually inform on the details regarding your match tipple,an update perhaps ? :wink:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:22 pm 
First XI
First XI

lankywolf wrote:

Jota just needs a goal. He is class but we have Cavaleiro to put in his place if needs be.
Patricio has probably saved us 6 points already. He is our best signing this season and he has some stiff competition for that accolade what with Jiminez, Moutinho etc.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:17 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
I thought with the heavy conditions and play moving up and down constantly Wolves found their two in the middle starting to tire around 70 to 80 minutes.

Neves seemed quite heavy legged and laboured towards the end, not quite at it as they say compared to during the first half.

This will be a very hard season for those two. We need quality challengers for those positions in the January window.

I won't say back-up as I believe all squad members should be challenging for a starting spot.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:36 am 
Manager
Manager

warn wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

This will be a very hard season for those two. We need quality challengers for those positions in the January window.

I won't say back-up as I believe all squad members should be challenging for a starting spot.

" Come and join us, The Wolves are on the march !!!"

"Will I get first-team football ?"

"Well mate we have a squad system, you will be in competition with a bloke called Neves for a place. Don't worry, I'm sure if you work hard, you'll get the slot ".......Mmmmmmm

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:38 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
warn wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

" Come and join us, The Wolves are on the march !!!"

"Will I get first-team football ?"

"Well mate we have a squad system, you will be in competition with a bloke called Neves for a place. Don't worry, I'm sure if you work hard, you'll get the slot ".......Mmmmmmm

Wolves must have quality in depth if they are going to challenge.

As kk mentioned Neves looked heavy-legged in the latter stages on Saturday. Wouldn't it have been good if we had better quality than Saiss and MGW to bring on?

Moutinho and Neves are vital to Wolves. They won't play every minute of the thirty-eight games and the League Cup match against Leicester proved that their replacements leave a lot to be desired.

Wolves have to build a strong squad as well as encouraging the younger generation.

Wolves have two goalkeepers, the front three are covered although I wouldn't be surprised if they added to it if the right player came along. The back three are probably covered, another wing-back would be welcome as they have a very heavy workload, but they are short in central midfield.

Although Wolves have been unchanged for the first eight matches the days of a first eleven and reserves is over.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:28 pm 
Manager
Manager

warn wrote:

Wolves must have quality in depth if they are going to challenge.

As kk mentioned Neves looked heavy-legged in the latter stages on Saturday. Wouldn't it have been good if we had better quality than Saiss and MGW to bring on?

Moutinho and Neves are vital to Wolves. They won't play every minute of the thirty-eight games and the League Cup match against Leicester proved that their replacements leave a lot to be desired.

Wolves have to build a strong squad as well as encouraging the younger generation.

Wolves have two goalkeepers, the front three are covered although I wouldn't be surprised if they added to it if the right player came along. The back three are probably covered, another wing-back would be welcome as they have a very heavy workload, but they are short in central midfield.

Although Wolves have been unchanged for the first eight matches the days of a first eleven and reserves is over.

One or both of them will be injured and possibly suspended before long. I think it was Moutinho who went in heavy against Zaha and I was half expecting a red but he just got a yellow. That was pay-back time to Zaha who went in heavy against Boly...and I wondered if Zaha did that to invite a retribution in order to try and get one of ours sent off.

Anyhow, supporting your point, I don't think Saiss is sufficient in midfield if we are to challenge for a top 6 spot.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 am 
Manager
Manager

warn wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I think there's a player who Wolves could pick up on loan in January as long as they pay 40 million for him during the summer.
A player who Nuno rates highly and vice versa having worked together for three years in Portugal.
Not getting a look in at his current Premier league club having joined them last summer from Monaco.

A Jorge Mendes client capable of playing in a back three, right wing back or midfield.

The Brazilian International Fabinho currently wasting his time at Liverpool.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
warn wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I think there's a player who Wolves could pick up on loan in January as long as they pay 40 million for him during the summer.
A player who Nuno rates highly and vice versa having worked together for three years in Portugal.
Not getting a look in at his current Premier league club having joined them last summer from Monaco.

A Jorge Mendes client capable of playing in a back three, right wing back or midfield.

The Brazilian International Fabinho currently wasting his time at Liverpool.

That's very much worth a thought.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:23 pm 
Manager
Manager

Not sure if FFP restrictions would prevent Wolves spending 40million on one player next summer.

Another quality Brazilian midfield player agreed a transfer from South America to AC Milan yesterday.

Players that Jorge Mendes and Nuno would be well aware of but maybe just out of Wolves grasp at this time.

http://www.squawka.com/en/news/who-is-l ... loyUCHE.97

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:14 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Not sure if FFP restrictions would prevent Wolves spending 40million on one player next summer.

Another quality Brazilian midfield player agreed a transfer from South America to AC Milan yesterday.

Players that Jorge Mendes and Nuno would be well aware of but maybe just out of Wolves grasp at this time.

http://www.squawka.com/en/news/who-is-l ... loyUCHE.97

It's going to be interesting to see how we play the game...

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat