Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:41 am 
Manager
Manager

Should be a fun game, here's hoping Wolves can start playing with a freedom earned by not being in a relegation struggle.

A strange thought of mine, I think Newcastle will come and give it a go.

Forecast, not sure at all on this one.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Wolves vs Newcastle
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:35 am 
Manager
Manager

Benitez is a savvier manager than our opposition of late.

He will know better than most how to stop Wolves, but the positive is that he is handicapped by a weaker bunch of players than many PL sides. It's up to Wolves to cope with a team who isn't so accommodating as the clown defensive structure of Everton, West Ham or Leicester.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:55 am 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Trouble with Benitez is he thinks he is clever and tries to over-complicate things, and change tactics weekly depending on the opposition. Players are simple folk, and are left confused and unable to provide a coherent performance no matter how coherent was the plan.

In contrast, Nuno keeps things simple. He has a plan (and now a back-up) and drills the players to follow it. The players know what is expected. They get used to it. They can carry it out.

Wolves are near the top; Newcastle are near the bottom.

We will win.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:27 pm 
Manager
Manager

Their record signing will be wanting to prove his worth on his debut.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:25 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

They will probably go with the 10-0-0 formation they've used the last few games, I can see them being hard to break down, beat Man City playing very defensive and Spurs needed a bit of luck to win 1-0 last time out

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:59 am 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:

This is the key does the Newcastle manager now have an obligation to open up the game so that this lad can showcase his ability.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

This is the key does the Newcastle manager now have an obligation to open up the game so that this lad can showcase his ability.

I would say: Yes.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:35 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

I would say: Yes.

I would say may be. Or perhaps.......perhaps .?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:38 pm 
Manager
Manager

OK first half, generally looked good but Newcastle had a few dangerous scenes where we were struggling to win the 2nd ball and regain control. Their star new man will surely get on in the second half.

Jota and Raul working hard but neither managing to get an effort on target yet. Hoping for a repeat of the West Ham 2nd half, but it looks a tight contest.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

Very like the WHam game, Jonny and Donk never look quite certain when in the final third.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:02 pm 
Manager
Manager

Portugal must have been short on keepers the past few years for Patricio to have got so many caps.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:12 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Just how far away was Boly when their lad scored - he either goes to sleep or just doesn't like marking closely. I know the lad has some great attributes, but he seems to cost us goals time after time.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 pm 
Manager
Manager

He does go to sleep from time to time.

We do lack that no 10 to open teams up.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

Score off of the worst cross of the game, fantastic.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:01 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Oh the irony, the Newcastle fans always pride their selves on their macho hardiness, yet their current team incessantly fall around like pissed up menstruating schoolgirls at their first party when anywhere near a tackle.

Are Wolves becoming Man U?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

Another home game, another keeper between the sticks for us gifts the opposition goals from their only attempts at goal.

So frustrating to reward the opposition for so little danger...and our game fell to pieces after they took the lead, no recognisable pattern, just hoping with enough attackers on the field something will come off eventually.

We got lucky with the equaliser, the cross was terrible and most refs would disallow it even though it was no foul, but that's just how it goes in the modern game 9 times out of 10.

A draw was probably fair overall - 11 corners should have lead to more on target for us - but I felt the central midfield was too passive today against not a strong opponent.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
Oh the irony, the Newcastle fans always pride their selves on their macho hardiness, yet their current team incessantly fall around like pissed up menstruating schoolgirls at their first party when anywhere near a tackle.

That French guy at the back for them was ridiculous, just expects the officials to hand him a FK every time an opponent tries to challenge him for the ball. Ritchie has always been a little twat, well-schooled at Bournemouth.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:20 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Now Mr Boly - about these other attributes!! - consider yourself forgiven - for this week anyway!!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:23 am 
Manager
Manager

The time wasting from the Geordies came back to bite them. Somewhat poetic.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:54 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

It would have been a travesty had we lost that game. I think we played quite well overall, but perhaps not quite sharp enough in the final third.
Newcastle were very organised and defended well, but apart from a 3 minute spell at the end of the first half and the goal , offered very little as an attacking force.

It's probably a compliment to Wolves that they set up primarily not to concede. Their defensive line covered the entire width of the pitch making the Neves/Coady raking diagonals a pretty rare occurrence. Defend narrow against Wolves at your peril.

Having not read any other reports I thought Jonny was our MOTM. Got up and down the pitch all night, defended well and offered a bit more going forward than he has done on other games.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:00 am 
Manager
Manager

Used up yet another Monopoly "Get out of Jail free" card last night. Deserved the draw though, they pfaffed about with a sub during injury time and it blew up in their faces. Ha..!!!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:03 am 
Manager
Manager

Costa has lost it. The groans around the North Bank when he came on justified

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:37 am 
Manager
Manager

We see at first hand how Nuno wished to be brave early season by going 3-4-3.

Because by going 3-5-2 we become solid but somewhat bogged down with midfield passing and closing down against opponents whose first thought is to spoil.

It was a good display of technical quality, yet in England the fans want more seat of their pants moments.

Newcastle goal, to work that opportunity with a simple switch before stepping forward on one vertical line, you have to be joking in any standard of football.

Five Wolves players not doing their correct jobs.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:

I have noticed the Adama Traore fanboy club attacking Costa to deflect attention, even gaslighting on the Spurs game, when even the MOTD crew had enough football knowledge to highlight Costa coming on for Traore as changing the game. Costa needs to rediscover his early season form but he has given plenty for this club to be given a little support back.

On another day Raul would have bagged a brace and Doherty another. There is a reason four in a row top flight wins has not happened for a while, you end up with a game like last night where you don't get the breaks, add in Spain's answer to Tony Pulis parking the bus and you end up with a draw.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:14 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I'm not sure I agree with your analysis about 3 4 3 to 3 5 2 KK. I felt that when we were playing 3 4 3 teams worked us out and learned to stop the supply from the two central midfielders at source, The change to 3 5 2 countered that somewhat and we have done quite well with it since. I think that most fans have recognised and appreciated that. I think Lanky's comment about them defending wide last night was more pertinent as it did make the cross field passes more difficult. Rafa is not totally stupid and I notice he played proper centre backs and full backs in their correct positions last night which he failed to do at their ground.

I agree with Lanky that we played quite well in the first half but with their organised defending and , I felt, Jiminez not being quite on it, we just couldn't create the shooting chances.

I understand the criticism of Boly with his occasional carelessness but his tackling, heading and ability to move the ball forward I feel more than outweigh that and he is fully worth his place . Reminds me a bit of David Luis who sometimes has the same issues.

I was so glad that we scored in the 5th minute of the 4 added on because that player was subbed took about an hour to leave the pitch. Well done ref. It is also pleasing to see Rafa annoyed again about our goal - nothing's ever his team's fault. Perhaps he should have been berating his goalie as one of his players was rather than the ref.

I've really felt Rui's kicking is very poor (and that indirectly led to their goal last night) and his command in the air has not been great. That has generally been redeemed by his top class shot stopping so I hope that last night was a one off otherwise we may need to improve that position if we want to kick on.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:21 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

THE BIG BAD WOLF wrote:
suiging wrote:

I have noticed the Adama Traore fanboy club attacking Costa to deflect attention, even gaslighting on the Spurs game, when even the MOTD crew had enough football knowledge to highlight Costa coming on for Traore as changing the game. Costa needs to rediscover his early season form but he has given plenty for this club to be given a little support back.

On another day Raul would have bagged a brace and Doherty another. There is a reason four in a row top flight wins has not happened for a while, you end up with a game like last night where you don't get the breaks, add in Spain's answer to Tony Pulis parking the bus and you end up with a draw.

I don't agree that Costa looked that good even early in the season with the exception of short periods in the odd match. I have been a fan of Costa and I love his ability to control the ball and take players on but at the moment he does seem to have lost the willingness to take on responsibility and I think it is in his head. I do think he needs a break from the front line to sort himself out.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:39 pm 
Manager
Manager

Costa lost it when his ankle went under Lambert. All that fearlessness, the dribbling with close control and committing players, getting shots away whenever the opportunity arose.

Since then he has had a few "moments" at best, but this is the other side of the Mendes connection - sometimes his clients who haven't increased their market value will get to stick around on our payroll for longer than their performances deserved.

It's the trade-off for a Neves remaining longer at Wolves than the market probably dictates.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

I would still have Costa ahead of Cav and then Traore, as it appears Nuno does currently. None of the three had much impact last night.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:52 pm 
Manager
Manager

THE BIG BAD WOLF wrote:
I would still have Costa ahead of Cav and then Traore, as it appears Nuno does currently. None of the three had much impact last night.

Cav actually did well last night, cut out the usual stupid flicks where he loses the ball easily and their defence had to concede at least 3 corners from his dribbles in the short time he played (surely from 13 corners we should've got more on target?).

The only blemish was when he skied it over, though his foot went from under him as he shot.

His best display for a while all in all.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:07 pm 
Manager
Manager

Cav can be a lot better than he was last night. Of course I thought he was best against Arsenal, not unlike Costa, but then 343 on the counter attack suits both.

He is more of a goalscorer than Costa or one in sixty Prem games Traore.

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies