Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat

Share On:

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

At least we won’t have to pre-qualify for next season’s EL and have a late start to the season unless we win the EL this season (which I doubt that we will) so every cloud has a silver lining.

However, this could have an effect upon recruitment and retention (now I’m feeling glum) unless, of course, we win the EL!

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:51 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Well we couldn't trust Chelsea to do us a favour could we. It might be a blessing in disguise although you are right it might be more difficult to attract some of the better players. Anyway you never know we might be inspired in the Europa.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:27 pm 
Manager
Manager

Lampard is just Chelsea's version of Utd putting Solksjaer in charge. If the star players don't win the game for him, they crash. Pulisic pulled off one piece of magic for the lead early doors, then their team stunk the match out. Lampard scratched his head and found no solutions.

Arteta has surprised me, winning against Nuno, Klopp, Guardiola and Lampard inside a month.

Ultimately, we just didn't hold our nerve enough when the crunch games came at the end. We played 3 teams who were chasing European qualification with us - Arsenal, Chelsea and the Blades - and we lost every single one without making any impact on their goal whatsoever.

I think only against Everton (on the beach) did we play good, convincing attacking football. We were even awful against Palarse for the whole first half then nicked the second and they gave up.

The last 30 minutes at West Ham in the first match after the restart was the only other time I thought we looked pretty decent.

We can only hope the current situation focuses minds for the Europa games to come, but the level of opposition is very high.

Introducing Mr Jeff Shi – Executive chairman, board member, acting managing director, acting sporting director, unofficial deputy to Raul Jimenez in the striker department and confirmed Banks's drinker

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:19 am 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
Lampard is just Chelsea's version of Utd putting Solksjaer in charge. If the star players don't win the game for him, they crash. Pulisic pulled off one piece of magic for the lead early doors, then their team stunk the match out. Lampard scratched his head and found no solutions.

Arteta has surprised me, winning against Nuno, Klopp, Guardiola and Lampard inside a month.

Ultimately, we just didn't hold our nerve enough when the crunch games came at the end. We played 3 teams who were chasing European qualification with us - Arsenal, Chelsea and the Blades - and we lost every single one without making any impact on their goal whatsoever.

I think only against Everton (on the beach) did we play good, convincing attacking football. We were even awful against Palarse for the whole first half then nicked the second and they gave up.

The last 30 minutes at West Ham in the first match after the restart was the only other time I thought we looked pretty decent.

We can only hope the current situation focuses minds for the Europa games to come, but the level of opposition is very high.

That’s a very fair assessment, buddy. It might not be popular with some (the diehards on the South Bank) but it’s much in line with my own thinking. Victories over bottom clubs and an injury-riven Palace was pleasing but they were hardly scalps but to be fair, I did think we looked good v Everton.

There has to be a sea-change in our approach for us to get much further in the EL.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:26 am 
Manager
Manager

Whatever the eventual outcome of our EL journey, I feel that it will be beneficial for us not to have to go through three rounds of EL Qualifying games again next season. It has been a very long and tiring season for us to now and we need to get back to just the weekly PL game with nothing else to distract us having a go for top four. Three new signings needed for that aim, a striker as cover or to replace Jimenez, an attacking midfielder and another centre half. Whether Nuno would do that with his penchant for a small, tightly-knit squad is doubtful but I feel. necessary longer term. All this said, however, if we were to somehow win the EL and qualify for the CL, well, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:07 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Whatever the eventual outcome of our EL journey, I feel that it will be beneficial for us not to have to go through three rounds of EL Qualifying games again next season. It has been a very long and tiring season for us to now and we need to get back to just the weekly PL game with nothing else to distract us having a go for top four. Three new signings needed for that aim, a striker as cover or to replace Jimenez, an attacking midfielder and another centre half. Whether Nuno would do that with his penchant for a small, tightly-knit squad is doubtful but I feel. necessary longer term. All this said, however, if we were to somehow win the EL and qualify for the CL, well, I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Yep, on all counts. However, I am concerned that retention and recruitment will be affected by our lack of participation in the EL next season unless of course a miracle happens in August...

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:01 pm 
Manager
Manager

It is worth bearing in mind that the qualifying rounds have been cut to single matches, rather than two-legged ties.

We would essentially have played two very weak sides (Crusaders-, Pyunik-level) at home, where he could have fielded a weakened side, then one quite difficult final qualifier.

It's obvious that fewer matches will help the players be fresher for the league, but if we want to establish the club at international level we really need to have a presence in UEFA competitions as regularly as possible.

Introducing Mr Jeff Shi – Executive chairman, board member, acting managing director, acting sporting director, unofficial deputy to Raul Jimenez in the striker department and confirmed Banks's drinker

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:40 pm 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
It is worth bearing in mind that the qualifying rounds have been cut to single matches, rather than two-legged ties.

We would essentially have played two very weak sides (Crusaders-, Pyunik-level) at home, where he could have fielded a weakened side, then one quite difficult final qualifier.

It's obvious that fewer matches will help the players be fresher for the league, but if we want to establish the club at international level we really need to have a presence in UEFA competitions as regularly as possible.

Agree with that as well. Participation = better quality recruitment unless we can unearth some gems.

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat