Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:55 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

It's been a couple of weeks now, is that good or bad. Will the lads be sinners or winners against the Saints?

Coady should be available but will Nuno think he is match fit - he hasn't missed one for a long time. I think Marcal looked more solid than Ait Nouri when he came on last time and I would expect him to start. Up front will Traore get a start or is he being left to sulk until he signs as some of the media suggest? I think it helps us that Ings is out and we need to keep the pressure on them and not let them settle.

We should be ok if we get the Molineux roar behind us - oh, hang on a minute...

Come on you Wolves.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

Will Coady have spent enough time in isolation and even if so will he be fit enough despite undergoing training routines?

He’ll be a big loss if unavailable.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:30 am 
Manager
Manager

It will be strange to see a Wolves side minus Coady. In the "olden days" we used to be pretty poor coming back from the international breaks. Ings being out is a definite advantage. Tough game this one.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:18 pm 
Manager
Manager

Whenever I think of Southampton I recall a 9-3 away defeat back in 1965 and that 0-6 home defeat in 2007. Add to that the fact that the lady who owns my local newspaper shop is a Saints fan and you can understand my worries. :lol:

The Saints are a different proposition this year, glad that Ings is missing, it will be very hard as most PL games are but if or if not Coady makes it, I would imagine that Saiss would take his place. Let's hope for a win as that last game at Leicester was very poor.

Max Kilman features on the programme cover, I read yesterday that he lost his father earlier this month, fair play to him for carrying on playing at such a terrible time.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Whenever I think of Southampton I recall a 9-3 away defeat back in 1965 and that 0-6 home defeat in 2007. Add to that the fact that the lady who owns my local newspaper shop is a Saints fan and you can understand my worries. :lol:

The Saints are a different proposition this year, glad that Ings is missing, it will be very hard as most PL games are but if or if not Coady makes it, I would imagine that Saiss would take his place. Let's hope for a win as that last game at Leicester was very poor.

Max Kilman features on the programme cover, I read yesterday that he lost his father earlier this month, fair play to him for carrying on playing at such a terrible time.

Yep, very tough and we also have one of our international players out who has caught Covid - they won’t say who it is beyond that he played v Leicester.

I’ll be happy with a point at this stage if Coady is missing.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:30 pm 
First XI
First XI

Coady misses the game. What a bloody shame. Dendonker deputises. Neto on bench. Traore starts. Neves captain. Moutinho starts.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:39 pm 
Manager
Manager

Yes the first ever game under Nuno where Coady does not start.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54955461

So it’s Saiss who has contracted Covid!

Perhaps Nuno’s reasoning is that he’ll bring on Neto on the hour with fresh legs to tear them a strip.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:36 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Madness to drop Coady - if he didn't actually have C Virus, then I am sure he would have been exercising properly and be more than fit enough - and to shatter his appearances run is a bubble burster, and a record that Coady would have been justifiably proud of - and how galling to lose out on a couple of England caps as well, all for no illness!!

And as to starting with Traore - when we have all seen him bring nothing to a match when on from the start - smells like pandering to him - will be watching his contribution keenly, with a slice of humble pie at the ready!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

A bit of a mess of a performance, perhaps predictably after the loss of Coady and Saiss and the necessitated moving of Dendoncker.

Southampton's movement off the ball is much more intelligent, rather than Wolves' scrambling after it and hoping somehow to create a goal. As a result, the main chances have come for us in setpieces.

Podence plays too much of a peripheral role for me to be starting matches in the PL. Neto at least harries the opposition endlessly, even if the end result is minimal too often. I'd be tempted to let Raul and Silva play as a front two and see if they can build up any form of partnership.

Introducing Mr Jeff Shi – Executive chairman, board member, acting managing director, acting sporting director, unofficial deputy to Raul Jimenez in the striker department and confirmed Banks's drinker

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:28 pm 
Manager
Manager

They are keeping the ball better than us. What`s happened to the old Jiminez / Traore partner ship? I think they will come at us a lot more second half. Still no Coady and 0-0 ? I`ll take that.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:19 pm 
Manager
Manager

Incredibly predictable.

Only once a goal down did we start creating chances regularly, but you know we will never score more than one so a draw was all we had in us. A disappointing state of affairs as we now enter the really tricky games.

Introducing Mr Jeff Shi – Executive chairman, board member, acting managing director, acting sporting director, unofficial deputy to Raul Jimenez in the striker department and confirmed Banks's drinker

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:53 pm 
Manager
Manager

Do I not like 442 on that showing. At least we turned up for the last 20 minutes. We seemed to apply the same tactics as when we have 3 at the back. Passing backwards, except Coady wasn`t there so it went to Rui and HOOF! I cannot understand, as he went for a 442 system he decided to go for youth over experience at left back. No creativity in midfield. No competition to give Raul a kick up the arse. Traore over Neto.... realy? Yet we keep getting points. Shows what I know.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:22 pm 
Manager
Manager

Another drab performance in my view, we have become insipid to watch this season and things will not change. Something is not right at the Mol, we are going backwards and the Traore situation does not help matters, sell him in January as he is so predictable running outside the full back(s) on the right wing. Strange to have taken our captain for the night off, even though his replacement got the equaliser..so, what do I know..??? Arghh..

Last edited by gladbachwolf on Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:35 pm 
Manager
Manager

TStarr wrote:
Madness to drop Coady - if he didn't actually have C Virus, then I am sure he would have been exercising properly and be more than fit enough - and to shatter his appearances run is a bubble burster, and a record that Coady would have been justifiably proud of - and how galling to lose out on a couple of England caps as well, all for no illness!!

And as to starting with Traore - when we have all seen him bring nothing to a match when on from the start - smells like pandering to him - will be watching his contribution keenly, with a slice of humble pie at the ready!

He wasn’t dropped as such. He hasn’t been training properly and he may not have even been able to take part.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Another drab performance in my view, we have become insipid to watch this season and things will not change. Something is not right the the Mol, we are going backwards and the Traore situation does not help matters, sell him in January as he is so predictable running outside the full back(s) on the right wing. Strange to have taken our captain for the night off, even though his replacement got the equaliser..so, what do I know..??? Arghh..

I thought it was a great game. We haven’t had so many shots for ages and at least there were more on target. Their keeper was man of the match imho. There’s still room for improvement though.

I thought that it was odd that Traore didn’t start playing until Neto came on!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:13 am 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:
Another drab performance in my view, we have become insipid to watch this season and things will not change. Something is not right the the Mol, we are going backwards and the Traore situation does not help matters, sell him in January as he is so predictable running outside the full back(s) on the right wing. Strange to have taken our captain for the night off, even though his replacement got the equaliser..so, what do I know..??? Arghh..

I thought it was a great game. We haven’t had so many shots for ages and at least there were more on target. Their keeper was man of the match imho. There’s still room for improvement though.

Yep me too, good game. The Southampton lads reacted like they'd won they were so relieved with the point. We are blooding some fantastic young talent. Yes, they're not the finished article, but when they get some miles under their belts, they will roar.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:49 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

Yep me too, good game. The Southampton lads reacted like they'd won they were so relieved with the point. We are blooding some fantastic young talent. Yes, they're not the finished article, but when they get some miles under their belts, they will roar.

Glad you saw it the same way as well. There were some moans on Facebook and I can’t believe how negative some can be. Perhaps it’s the effect of there not being fans in the stadium which makes a difference to how they regard it with the atmosphere being flat.

Missing Coady was a big loss and Saiss could also have made a difference despite them being withput Ings.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:18 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Did the 4-4-2 come about because Coady was missing???
Once we got to grips with the system i thought we did ok, only one team going to win it in the end hence Soton's relief.
BUT..... why do we persist in letting Moutinho take all the free kicks, for a talented bloke he seems to hit the first defender a hell of a lot, Neves desperately needs to get involved in our attacking play, having him on free kicks would help.
ALSO..... When we have a throw in near their box Jiminez is never in the box, normally recieves the throw in and trying to cross to our centre forward... oh hang on he's crossing the chuffing ball so we'll cross to the 4' tall Podence!

Small moans really in the Grand scheme of things as considering we haven't played very well so far we are remarkably in 9th position. Some people have short memories.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:22 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I think the lack of Coady led to the persistent lack of concentration by Kilman who continually played their attackers onside including their goal and the two very easy chances they had.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:39 am 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
I think the lack of Coady led to the persistent lack of concentration by Kilman who continually played their attackers onside including their goal and the two very easy chances they had.

Coady certainly is the glue that holds the defence together, who knew ? Huddersfield certainly didn't

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:53 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
Rozza wrote:

Coady certainly is the glue that holds the defence together, who knew ? Huddersfield certainly didn't

Nor did Wolves until Nuno walked in the door.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:39 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Rozza wrote:

Bit harsh on the goal... Nelson only had one eye on their attacker. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I reckon he was playing with his column at the time... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:55 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

To be fair to Kilman, he may have found concentrating a bit difficult with the recent death of his father. Personally, I thought both Semedo and Ait Nouri could have done better with preventing their goal. I had been hoping to see Nuno play a 4 man defence some time and his hand was forced a bit with Coady and Saiss missing but I think there is plenty of work to do on it. Moutinho Neves and Dendoncker as a midfield 3 doesn't give us enough flair in attack and it was noticeable how much more threatening we were when Neto came on and Podence went into the attacking midfield role. I didn't understand Neto not starting as I thought he had looked the most likely in recent games and I'm not convinced that Ait Nouri is a better option than Marcal at this stage.

However, we have maintained a top half position without playing particularly well and I grant that Nuno knows more about these things than me.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:55 pm 
Manager
Manager

Seems that Coady was available for Monday night game but was omitted....

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... from-squad

Did he want to just experiment with a back four or is there something wrong somewhere at Molineux..?? Perhaps with Conor not having trained properly, Nuno decided to use a back four in his absence..

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:35 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Seems that Coady was available for Monday night game but was omitted....

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... from-squad

Did he want to just experiment with a back four or is there something wrong somewhere at Molineux..?? Perhaps with Conor not having trained properly, Nuno decided to use a back four in his absence..

Not at all being in the know, that’s also what I concluded.

Being available doesn’t mean that he was fully equipped to take part.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:57 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I have no inside knowledge but I just felt that Nuno decided that as Coady hadn't trained properly for 10 days he didn't want to risk it. Also, I suspect that Saiss was the designated cover for Coady's position so Nuno was forced to try something else. It would be interesting to see if Coady could play the deep midfield role ahead of a back 4 and allow 2 other midfielders more freedom to move forward.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:46 am 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
I have no inside knowledge but I just felt that Nuno decided that as Coady hadn't trained properly for 10 days he didn't want to risk it. Also, I suspect that Saiss was the designated cover for Coady's position so Nuno was forced to try something else. It would be interesting to see if Coady could play the deep midfield role ahead of a back 4 and allow 2 other midfielders more freedom to move forward.

4-4-2 allowed greater penetration with all those shots and nine being on target! To be fair, he’s a good keeper but we could have come away with a win and three points but hey-ho we didn’t. Onward and upward!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:15 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:

Upon my initial disappointment over our display, having read your thoughts LB, I think you're right there. If there was no Saiss to replace the not fully fit Coady, what else could Nuno have done really?? Plus it let him try out four at the back and see how we got on.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:56 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Left back wrote:

Upon my initial disappointment over our display, having read your thoughts LB, I think you're right there. If there was no Saiss to replace the not fully fit Coady, what else could Nuno have done really?? Plus it let him try out four at the back and see how we got on.

and we got a point which, on reflection, I would have been happy with if we had used our usual system and a fit squad. So happy days.

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies