Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:16 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Another league game upon us already. Worrying times at the moment given our poor run and we need a few points from two successive home games now.

I know we scored 3 at Brighton but most of the time we just don't do enough in the box and our overall return is poor. Neves and Moutinho aren't going to be in there on the end of things and even if Dendonker is more likely to his finishing is a bit hit and miss. Given that Silva clearly isn't ready for this level and we have decided that Cutrone is the man rather than spending any money then he looks our best hope for goals. After that we are relying on Saiss for corners and free kicks. The defence also feels unreliable with Semedo and Ait Nouri as the wing backs. Everton have been doing well lately so we have our work cut out, let's hope it is one of our better days at the office.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:40 pm 
Manager
Manager

Very tough game with little evidence of late that we can outscore opposition of any quality. We need some of our injured lot to get back fit as the present options just don't inspire confidence of clean sheets.

Introducing Mr Jeff Shi – Executive chairman, board member, acting managing director, acting sporting director, unofficial deputy to Raul Jimenez in the striker department and confirmed Banks's drinker

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:07 pm 
First XI
First XI

I have a horrible feeling we may have to kiss goodbye to 3 points ce soir. Too many important players still missing I'm afraid. Cutrone is a gamble. Too small a squad, too little depth. Hope with all my heart I am wrong.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:23 pm 
Manager
Manager

They are without Calvert-Lewis so there is some hope.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:01 pm 
Manager
Manager

Silva ahead of Cutrone and no Traore. Must be injured.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rui

Semedo
Coady
Saiss
Ait-Nouri

Neves
Dendoncker
Mouthino

Gibbs-White
Silva
Neto.

Traore with a soft tissue injury apparently according to Andy Thompson on website.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:57 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Not a great start, but definitely a great response. Pray Silva scores, he and we need it.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

Semedo has done well going forward, but he scares the hell out of me in defence. Dendonker with his usual miss. we`re looking good though, against a decent team.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:34 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Semedo definitely worries me - yes, good going forward, but in defense he either fails to cut out crosses, or is to be seen letting their forward get behind him, invariably to score - he just seems to switch off at important times.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

TStarr wrote:
Semedo definitely worries me - yes, good going forward, but in defense he either fails to cut out crosses, or is to be seen letting their forward get behind him, invariably to score - he just seems to switch off at important times.

I`m glad they haven`t got Calvert-Lewin to get on the end of those crosses.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

Update: MGW is still rubbish

Our lack of bottle to attack headers in both our own box and the opponents' has crippled us so often. You just knew they would be able to score from a setpiece with players with Mina and Keane on the field who actually time their jumps and attack the ball. It would be a huge help if Patricio would leave his line once in a while and come and catch the thing.

By contrast, we had Wonderboy and MGW floating around to zero effect. A problem was that Godfrey was just as fast as Neto and managed to neutralise him as a result.

Introducing Mr Jeff Shi – Executive chairman, board member, acting managing director, acting sporting director, unofficial deputy to Raul Jimenez in the striker department and confirmed Banks's drinker

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:41 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Agree - MGW not improved any. Lot of criticism for Silva, but can't say Cutrone made me sit up and want to play him in preference.

We missed Traore - seemed to have little threat without him. And Neto needs help such as Podence, as he can't do it all on his own.

I suppose you can't criticise Fosun too much for not panic buying to replace Raul - let's face it we needed someone other than Silva, back in August, and they didn't then. Coupled with all the injuries to first teamers, one can only conclude that they have written this year off - get Podence, Boly, Jonny, Raul, Traore back up and running, and give the new lads more time to settle in, then kick off again next season. As long as we don't edge towards the relegation zone, I fear that will do nicely for Fosun.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:47 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

We were okay tonight... It seemed there was a deliberate effort to get more players in and around the box, particularly in the first half. We are lacking a bit of presence at both ends though. Raul and Boly bring this quality in abundance and we are missing both of them.

Overall, it was a game that might have gone either way. We're just not getting the rub at the moment.

I'm not overly worried. We have a lot of good players to come back in and there are definitely more than three worse teams than us.

Stay calm and be patient.... The good times will come again.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:56 pm 
First XI
First XI

Hoever was straight elbowed in their box. If VAR had looked at that it was a penalty and a straight red. Absolute joke not getting a penalty for that.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

I've given up on VAR ever "finding" a decision for Wolves. We had 45 minutes in that 2nd half to fashion one shot on target, surely?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:06 am 
Manager
Manager

Another night of being pretty good everywhere on the pitch except in the two boxes. Defending one, and scoring in the other. If the game was about all the other bits, we were awesome.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:44 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
Another night of being pretty good everywhere on the pitch except in the two boxes. Defending one, and scoring in the other. If the game was about all the other bits, we were awesome.

Sums us up right now. We play neat football in tight situations, and recycle the ball for fun, but it's like watching a 90 minute training session. The Silva situation is embarrassing, he shouldn't be any where near the pitch, but it looks like Mendes has hoodwinked Jeff with that signing and now we're suffering.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:49 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Diego Costa would improve this team, there's a phrase I never thought i would ever say.

without Podence and Raul our attacking options are painfully thin, you could see Neto getting more and more frustrated with his options last night.
MGW and Sk8tr Boy are relegation options up front so is our gathering points deficit. There are definitely 3 teams that look destined for the bottom three one of which we take on Saturday.
If there were a full house on Saturday and we play like we do against struggling basic opponents Nuno would finally feel what its like to hear a Wolves crowd not particularly in love with you anymore.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:06 am 
Manager
Manager

A lot worse players than Diego Costa would improve this team. That the club have put all their eggs in Wonderboy's basket is going to make for a very painful remainder of the season.

We really need Neto, Traore and Podence (and maybe the Italian Andy Keogh) to scrape us 4 wins from 20 games and that should be enough. The campaign is a total write-off in terms of achieving anything of note, so for goodness's sake get safe in the league and wait and see what the situation next time around.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

Apart from the result, I thought we were competent and solid except for up top with its obvious lacking. Deserved a point but football is never like that, you get what you get, we just need that tad of luck, lost to the current league leaders with an added time deflection, threw away two points at Brighton and lost a good point last night, despite the heavy injury list, we are not too far away, just get an experienced striker in on loan asap. Six out injured last night who would, in normal circumstances, have started, Jonny, Boly, Jimenez, Marcal, Traore, Podence and that is more than half of a starting outfield so there you have it. Everton's goals were clinically taken, no arguments there at all, MGW needs game time, he has not played a full 90 minutes since his foot fracture at Swansea, am sure he will improve. Neves was superb last night, would have loved his dipping volley to have gone in, almost a carbon copy of his goal v Derby in the Championship days. Yes, the season is gone in the league but let us carry on in the Cup and go deep into it.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:50 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

If we could be assured of not getting dragged into the relegation battle, it would be nice to write off the league season and put our resources into concentrating on the cup. Trouble is, as our 2 problems seem to be not scoring enough and conceding too many we have work to do. Yes, there are 3 teams who are probably worse than us but we all know about clubs that are too good to go down and we need to get a couple of results in the league quickly.

I feel that we are vulnerable on both wings with Semedo and Ait-Nouri in, they look good going forward but get caught out regularly at the back. Neto looks like our best forward but he is trying to take too much on himself with no Podence or Jiminez around. Silva isn't ready (if he ever will be), and it seem pointless bringing Cutrone back to only give him 10 minutes to see if he is good enough. Who can stick the ball in the net regularly - Corbeanu?

Neves was superb last night (again) but Dendonker wasn't at his best and I fear that age is catching up with Moutinho who tends to steal the ball less regularly but gives away more fouls now.

All in all, a big disappointment last night, although I can't understand why VAR didn't ask the ref to look at the elbow in the face (how do they decide when to let it go and when to ask the ref to have another look, is missing an elbow in the face not considered a clear and obvious error?). Good job I'm in a positive frame of mind otherwise I might not have been so optimistic about the rest of the season.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

If we are going to use attacking wing-backs we have to go three at the back. Cutrone up top for me, put the kid back to "developing" for his own sake. Not saying Cutrone is the answer but he can`t be any worse than the kid and I`d rather we, potentially, ruined him than our £35 million prodigy. If we ain`t careful Neto`s going to suffer burn-out.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

How come we didn’t get a penalty for the elbow into Hoever’s chops right at the death?

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies