Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Share On:

Author Message
 Post subject: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:32 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34256
Location: S E London, near Kent
I can't find the other thread I started which contained interesting Wolves "firsts" and records etc; I added to it a month or so ago but it seems to have disappeared.

Anyhow, I discovered two other notable unusual facts.

We were the first club to field both goalkeepers in an international match Cyril Sidlow (Wales) and Bert Williams (England) at the Poorthorns.

We also hold the ground record at Old Trafford (76,962) playing the mighty Grimsby (1st Division at the time) in the 1939 FA Cup semi-final.

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:38 pm 
Offline
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:34 pm
Posts: 8527
Location: Silverstone, Northants
Both interesting ... and both show just why it is so important to live in the past!
:wink:

_________________
E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:56 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34256
Location: S E London, near Kent
SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Both interesting ... and both show just why it is so important to live in the past!
:wink:

It seems that the Wolves book "Forever Wolves" could be in error as I've just got this from Wiki:

Quote:
Born in Colwyn Bay, Conwy, North Wales, Sidlow played for Llandudno, Colwyn Bay and Wolverhampton Wanderers. Signed by Wolves in 1937 by the great Major Frank Buckley[1] Sidlow was the first choice Wolves keeper both before the war. The rise of England great Bert Williams at Wolves after the war limited his chances, this included a notable international match between England and Wales at Ninian Park where Wolves supplied both the England Keeper (Williams) and Welsh keeper (Sidlow).

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:15 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 10:13 pm
Posts: 14034
Our wikipedia entries have a lot of errors. Some of our books do too, I've heard. Difficult to know who's right sometimes.

_________________
Nibbs

Three or four? | Pub team selection explained | Puns | Keep Calm | More


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:13 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:26 am
Posts: 23175
Location: South East Bulgaria
SELWolf wrote:
I can't find the other thread I started which contained interesting Wolves "firsts" and records etc; I added to it a month or so ago but it seems to have disappeared.

Anyhow, I discovered two other notable unusual facts.

We were the first club to field both goalkeepers in an international match Cyril Sidlow (Wales) and Bert Williams (England) at the Poorthorns.

We also hold the ground record at Old Trafford (76,962) playing the mighty Grimsby (1st Division at the time) in the 1939 FA Cup semi-final.


Your original thread was started in February 2014, has 6 or more pages and you asked for it to be made a sticky which was ignored or overlooked.

Personally, I feel it as worthy of a sticky as old pictures of our stadium, but I don't make the rules, but anyway, these posts could/should be added to the original thread to keep it all together in my humble opinion.

http://www.the-wolf.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66073&hilit=History

_________________
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:45 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:24 pm
Posts: 14367
Location: My mind's eye
I've stickied the original thread for ya

_________________
Say no to hoof!!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:53 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:26 am
Posts: 23175
Location: South East Bulgaria
Ironfistedmonk wrote:
I've stickied the original thread for ya


Yo could've dun it a bit faster tho! :lol: :wink:

_________________
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:54 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:24 pm
Posts: 14367
Location: My mind's eye
Moscow Wolf wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:
I've stickied the original thread for ya


Yo could've dun it a bit faster tho! :lol: :wink:


I day have the power back then

_________________
Say no to hoof!!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:27 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34256
Location: S E London, near Kent
Ironfistedmonk wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:
I've stickied the original thread for ya


Yo could've dun it a bit faster tho! :lol: :wink:


I day have the power back then


Well done. You're a good lad...regardless of what Rozza says. :mrgreen:

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:10 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:59 pm
Posts: 18554
Location: WV4 and WL4
Moscow Wolf wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
I can't find the other thread I started which contained interesting Wolves "firsts" and records etc; I added to it a month or so ago but it seems to have disappeared.

Anyhow, I discovered two other notable unusual facts.

We were the first club to field both goalkeepers in an international match Cyril Sidlow (Wales) and Bert Williams (England) at the Poorthorns.

We also hold the ground record at Old Trafford (76,962) playing the mighty Grimsby (1st Division at the time) in the 1939 FA Cup semi-final.


Your original thread was started in February 2014, has 6 or more pages and you asked for it to be made a sticky which was ignored or overlooked.

Personally, I feel it as worthy of a sticky as old pictures of our stadium, but I don't make the rules, but anyway, these posts could/should be added to the original thread to keep it all together in my humble opinion.

http://www.the-wolf.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66073&hilit=History


The problem is, McDogs got a bit trigger happy, or he decided to revamp the site after he'd been on the lash, as a lot of posts and pics, went AWOL. SHIFT-ALT-DEL...SHIT!

Any road, don't we have the record for the being the first club to drop from the top division to the fourth, in successive seasons?

_________________
Thank you very much for Stevie Bull. Thank you very much, thank you very, very, very much.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:23 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34256
Location: S E London, near Kent
Embers wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
I can't find the other thread I started which contained interesting Wolves "firsts" and records etc; I added to it a month or so ago but it seems to have disappeared.

Anyhow, I discovered two other notable unusual facts.

We were the first club to field both goalkeepers in an international match Cyril Sidlow (Wales) and Bert Williams (England) at the Poorthorns.

We also hold the ground record at Old Trafford (76,962) playing the mighty Grimsby (1st Division at the time) in the 1939 FA Cup semi-final.


Your original thread was started in February 2014, has 6 or more pages and you asked for it to be made a sticky which was ignored or overlooked.

Personally, I feel it as worthy of a sticky as old pictures of our stadium, but I don't make the rules, but anyway, these posts could/should be added to the original thread to keep it all together in my humble opinion.

http://www.the-wolf.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66073&hilit=History


The problem is, McDogs got a bit trigger happy, or he decided to revamp the site after he'd been on the lash, as a lot of posts and pics, went AWOL. SHIFT-ALT-DEL...SHIT!

Any road, don't we have the record for the being the first club to drop from the top division to the fourth, in successive seasons?

Then there's that other one about a double drop. Oh, well. Shit happens and we've bounced back. :wink:

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:35 am 
Online
Prediction League Winner 2016/17
Prediction League Winner 2016/17
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Posts: 11839
Location: Wolverhampton
Image

52 today. :shock:

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

_________________
Image

Forever in my Heart, Mum. 26/06/58 ~ 16/03/12.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:42 am 
Online
Prediction League Winner 2016/17
Prediction League Winner 2016/17
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Posts: 11839
Location: Wolverhampton
Image

Wolves Subbuteo (1977)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

_________________
Image

Forever in my Heart, Mum. 26/06/58 ~ 16/03/12.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:17 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 6684
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
Good old Subbuteo. If you look at the players on the picture, you can see that back in 1977, we were playing 3-4-3... :lol:

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:39 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34256
Location: S E London, near Kent
gladbachwolf wrote:
Good old Subbuteo. If you look at the players on the picture, you can see that back in 1977, we were playing 3-4-3... :lol:

For a heavyweight edition they seem a bit too orange to me and rather shiny like a repaint...and I certainly don't like the numbers painted on their backs.

Warn's the one to confirm whether they're legit (which I suppose they are) but I thought I'd got all the permutations from that period and they don't look right to me...unless it's the effect of the flash.

Team 77 is the correct reference for Wolves in the 1970s but looks less orange in the catalogue:

http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/subhw1.htm

Another point is that they're painted on flesh coloured plastic so that might account for the different appearance/shade of the shirts.

This Subbuteo lark is a science in itself. :wink:

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:40 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:59 pm
Posts: 18554
Location: WV4 and WL4
SELWolf wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:
Good old Subbuteo. If you look at the players on the picture, you can see that back in 1977, we were playing 3-4-3... :lol:

For a heavyweight edition they seem a bit too orange to me and rather shiny like a repaint...and I certainly don't like the numbers painted on their backs.

Warn's the one to confirm whether they're legit (which I suppose they are) but I thought I'd got all the permutations from that period and they don't look right to me...unless it's the effect of the flash.

Team 77 is the correct reference for Wolves in the 1970s but looks less orange in the catalogue:

http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/subhw1.htm

Another point is that they're painted on flesh coloured plastic so that might account for the different appearance/shade of the shirts.

This Subbuteo lark is a science in itself. :wink:


Hey SEL, you would have had a tear in your eye, had you seen me over the weekend, in a bric-a-brac shop, in Bratislava. Out on the lash one night, and I walked past this window, and there it was, a 1974 World Cup Pennant, with the Germans and Brazil on it. After some bartering, it was mine :wink:

_________________
Thank you very much for Stevie Bull. Thank you very much, thank you very, very, very much.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:40 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34256
Location: S E London, near Kent
Embers wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:
Good old Subbuteo. If you look at the players on the picture, you can see that back in 1977, we were playing 3-4-3... :lol:

For a heavyweight edition they seem a bit too orange to me and rather shiny like a repaint...and I certainly don't like the numbers painted on their backs.

Warn's the one to confirm whether they're legit (which I suppose they are) but I thought I'd got all the permutations from that period and they don't look right to me...unless it's the effect of the flash.

Team 77 is the correct reference for Wolves in the 1970s but looks less orange in the catalogue:

http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/subhw1.htm

Another point is that they're painted on flesh coloured plastic so that might account for the different appearance/shade of the shirts.

This Subbuteo lark is a science in itself. :wink:


Hey SEL, you would have had a tear in your eye, had you seen me over the weekend, in a bric-a-brac shop, in Bratislava. Out on the lash one night, and I walked past this window, and there it was, a 1974 World Cup Pennant, with the Germans and Brazil on it. After some bartering, it was mine :wink:

I like those kind of stories. :wink: Well done.

I've still got my 1970 Wolves pennant in perfect nick as well. It's not worth a great deal on the open market but it means a lot to me and worth considerably more. 8)

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:17 pm 
Online
Prediction League Winner 2016/17
Prediction League Winner 2016/17
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Posts: 11839
Location: Wolverhampton
Image

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

_________________
Image

Forever in my Heart, Mum. 26/06/58 ~ 16/03/12.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:34 am 
Online
Prediction League Winner 2016/17
Prediction League Winner 2016/17
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Posts: 11839
Location: Wolverhampton
Image

All three played in the old gold...

Cowens, Hibbitt and Withe.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

_________________
Image

Forever in my Heart, Mum. 26/06/58 ~ 16/03/12.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:11 pm 
Offline
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:33 pm
Posts: 1482
Location: WOLVERHAMPTON
wolvesforever_1979 wrote:
Image

All three played in the old gold...

Cowens, Hibbitt and Withe.
I may be wrong,but I think Cowans may be Frank Carrodus.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:39 pm 
Offline
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:42 pm
Posts: 1519
Location: Wombourne
wolfrunna wrote:
wolvesforever_1979 wrote:
Image

All three played in the old gold...

Cowens, Hibbitt and Withe.
I may be wrong,but I think Cowans may be Frank Carrodus.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk


Deffo Cowans


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:54 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34256
Location: S E London, near Kent
What's happened to all the stats, info, history and posts that used to be on this thread? And it used to be a "sticky"? What's gone wrong? :shock:

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:49 am 
Online
Prediction League Winner 2016/17
Prediction League Winner 2016/17
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Posts: 11839
Location: Wolverhampton
SELWolf wrote:
What's happened to all the stats, info, history and posts that used to be on this thread? And it used to be a "sticky"? What's gone wrong? :shock:

Yeah, what happened to it? It used to be a sticky.

Didn't you create that thread? I had to trawl through the sub forum to find this one.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

_________________
Image

Forever in my Heart, Mum. 26/06/58 ~ 16/03/12.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:25 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22166
Location: Cannock.
hugh jarse wrote:
wolfrunna wrote:
wolvesforever_1979 wrote:
Image

All three played in the old gold...

Cowens, Hibbitt and Withe.
I may be wrong,but I think Cowans may be Frank Carrodus.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk


Deffo Cowans


Yep pre accident, you could always spot Sid post accident because of the nose.

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:03 am 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:24 pm
Posts: 14367
Location: My mind's eye
SELWolf wrote:
What's happened to all the stats, info, history and posts that used to be on this thread? And it used to be a "sticky"? What's gone wrong? :shock:


It was a sticky, I stickied it! Who has undone my sticking and where have all the posts gone? I ask sticky questions and demand answers

_________________
Say no to hoof!!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:25 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 22166
Location: Cannock.
Ironfistedmonk wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
What's happened to all the stats, info, history and posts that used to be on this thread? And it used to be a "sticky"? What's gone wrong? :shock:


It was a sticky, I stickied it! Who has undone my sticking and where have all the posts gone? I ask sticky questions and demand answers


Your a lame duck moderator, the powers that be dont trust you.

_________________
Wishing you a merry Wolves Christmas in a special season.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:52 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34256
Location: S E London, near Kent
Where has our "history" gone? There were some great bits of info on that thread.

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:47 am 
Offline
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:03 pm
Posts: 3224
Location: wolves
SELWolf wrote:
Where has our "history" gone? There were some great bits of info on that thread.


this deserves an investigation from internal affairs...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:30 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:59 pm
Posts: 18554
Location: WV4 and WL4
sniff the wolfhound wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
Where has our "history" gone? There were some great bits of info on that thread.


this deserves an investigation from internal affairs...


I demand a witch hunt, and then a stoning. We haven't had a good stoning, in ages.

_________________
Thank you very much for Stevie Bull. Thank you very much, thank you very, very, very much.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wolves history...
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 20175
Location: Four Oaks
Well I've tried looking for it this morning and cor find it anywhere. Unless one of the other Mods has some specific information I can only guess that McDogs did a bit of trimming and filtering at some stage and may have removed it. Don't know why that would be though.

I will send Mr McDogs an email and see if he can throw any light on it.

Getting stoned may not b a bad idea Embers. 8)

_________________
The next level awaits


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

The Wolf will always be free to its members, but if you feel you would like to contribute towards the running costs, than please feel free to donate.

 

 

Disclaimer : This forum is for the general discussion/topic of Wolverhampton Wanderers. What is said within the forum is personal opinions, and The Wolf will not be held responsible. Your ip is logged for security reasons. The forum is viewable by the public and any topics you disclose/discuss can be viewed by the public. Some topics on this forum may only be suitable for those aged 18+.