Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat

Share On:

Post subject: Youth teams
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

Thinking it would be nice to have a thread focusing on the Young Wolves coming through.

I went to watch Wolves U23s play against Nuneaton FC this morning. It was a good test for them, against players far older and more physically developed.

It wasn't a particularly good game, Wolves won 1-0 thanks to a first half own goal. Pick of the players was perhaps Toyosi Olusanya, who is on trial from AFC Wimbledon. He spent time at Chelsea earlier this summer. Played left wing, but looked more of a centre forward to me.

The U23s are playing a tournament at Nuneaton. Weather permitting, I'll be back tomorrow to see them play Rangers U23s

Also today, that man Austin Samuels scored twice for the U18s in a 2-2 draw with Coventry U18s.

I write about Wolves

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Youth teams
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:33 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Good idea, I've made it a sticky, despite all the fancy foreign signings we have made we do seem to be continuing our focus on youth development what with our recent recruitment drive for academy scouts, I don't think our youth will be overlooked under Fosun.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:39 pm 
Manager
Manager

Under Fosun, youth could become history.
Easy to buy than develop...hopefully this won't happen and one of our own will shine.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:04 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

U-23's drew 2-2 with Rangers today

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:04 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

CANNOCK WOLF wrote:
Under Fosun, youth could become history.
Easy to buy than develop...hopefully this won't happen and one of our own will shine.

Don't agree.

Fosun are a business - hard-headed.

They know that in the short term, we need urgent help from outside - which costs money; but in the long term I am sure they appreciate the wisdom of having a focus on youth and bringing on top young players. Even if only one every 2 years makes the first team squad, over a period of 10-12 years that gives you 5-6 players who are worth several million each.

Surely that makes business sense? And the academy does not cost THAT much to run. Why else would Man Utd, Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea, Spurs etc etc have academies? Yes - they buy the best from elsewhere, but they still see the merit of the occasional diamond, and the economic sense of moving on lots of others into the lower leagues for reasonable fees.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:22 pm 
Manager
Manager

The U23s drew 2-2 with Rangers U23s today at Nuneaton. Rangers were clearly the more talented team, but were also clearly more experienced, with a few players in there who've played for their first team, including Ryan Hardie and Jordan Rossiter who are both very highly rated.

Rangers were far better early on and took the lead through Jordan Rossiter, who won the ball from Pedro Goncalves and then went through Aaron Simpson's powder puff challenge before firing it in at the near post. They then nearly doubled the lead through an excellent Hardie freekick that hit the bar. I missed our equaliser, but think it was Aaron Collins. Collins then gave us the lead in the second half, finishing very nicely, lifting if over the advancing goalkeeper when sent one on one by Daniel Armstrong. Rangers equalised right at the death, as pretty much every Wolves player switched off and their centre back was able to slot home following a freekick.

It was a completely different team to yesterday, but a different challenge for them. Daniel Armstrong, on the left wing, was probably pick of the players for me. I'd be very surprised if anyone that I've seen over the past couple of days goes on to play first team football over the next year or so, but that shouldn't really be a surprise given that the U23s with first team chances are with the first team -e.g. Conor Ronan, Bright Enobokhare and Morgan Giggs-White

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:56 am 
Manager
Manager

I hope the under23s and younger sides eventually play the new Wolves way rather than the more frantic and rushed style we see at the moment.

Just watching the highlights both sides were operating for the most part on three lines, often the same lines which resulted in close early combat.

Either that or the ball over the top for runners.

As we saw with Leicesters first teams Dinosaur football Saturday the games moved forward somewhat into occupation of the half spaces and fluency of movement through and between lines.

I doubt Nuno will tolerate Dinosaur football.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:00 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
I hope the under23s and younger sides eventually play the new Wolves way rather than the more frantic and rushed style we see at the moment.

Just watching the highlights both sides were operating for the most part on three lines, often the same lines which resulted in close early combat.

As we saw with Leicesters first teams Dinosaur football Saturday the games moved forward somewhat into occupation of the half spaces and fluency of movement through and between lines.

Albeit, I bet we will be beaten by it on more than one occasion this coming season. We are going to be every smaller club's Wembley this season.. :idea:

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:01 am 

Very true Moscow, but good players will rise to it.

And when we DO get turned over by a side playing dinosaur footie, please can the doom mongers not come on here calling for a CH, CM and CF who are more muscle than brain?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:17 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:

I think the main issue over the weekend is that we ended up paying almost 4-4-2 in both games, but that is more because of the personnel. The #10s for the two games were Jordan Allan and Duken Nazon, both of whom are really centre forwards. The players who could play 10 more effectively, the likes of Daniel Armstrong and maybe Carlos Heredia were shunted out towards the flank. I guess sometimes it's a question of balancing game time with where a player is most suited

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:56 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

And when we DO get turned over by a side playing dinosaur footie, please can the doom mongers not come on here calling for a CH, CM and CF who are more muscle than brain?

You know that won't happen, our fan base is still stuck in the 70's and graft is all they care about

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:35 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:

You know that won't happen, our fan base is still stuck in the 70's and graft is all they care about

But, I do remember how much you loved Kenny's Tippy Tap. :lol:

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:42 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:

But, I do remember how much you loved Kenny's Tippy Tap. :lol:

When we stormed League 1 we played some lovely stuff the second half of the season, kenny abandoned it when he signed Afobe and we went more direct again, I did enjoy League 1 though, it was nice winning virtually every week and not watching the ball lumped aimlessly up field for a change.

Tippy tappy is a derogatory term, a bit like hoofball, but one has a future, one does not, red pill or blue pill people

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:53 am 
Manager
Manager

toomb wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I think the main issue over the weekend is that we ended up paying almost 4-4-2 in both games, but that is more because of the personnel. The #10s for the two games were Jordan Allan and Duken Nazon, both of whom are really centre forwards. The players who could play 10 more effectively, the likes of Daniel Armstrong and maybe Carlos Heredia were shunted out towards the flank. I guess sometimes it's a question of balancing game time with where a player is most suited

I just think if we are going to develop players to their maximum we have to help them slow the game down a tad by giving them more options on the ball.

Playing off more lines, creating better angles, accepting the ball can be rotated and come out either side.
Accepting mistakes but willing these teams to take risks.

Its all about space and time, at the moment its to hurried and frantic and for many of these talented boys the games passing them by.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:40 pm 
Manager
Manager

Under 23's lost to Birmingham behind closed doors in front of Arry 3-2 to them with Nazon and Armstrong our goal scorers.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

Mowgli wrote:
Under 23's lost to Birmingham behind closed doors in front of Arry 3-2 to them with Nazon and Armstrong our goal scorers.

I don't really understand why we are playing Nazon so much. He's 23, and given he's still in the U23 squad, presumably he isn't someone who the club feel will be first-team ready. I have to say that on the few occasions I've seen him he's stood out, but this is more because he's a fully developed 23 year old surrounded by 18/19 year olds

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:43 pm 
First XI
First XI

toomb wrote:
Mowgli wrote:

I don't really understand why we are playing Nazon so much. He's 23, and given he's still in the U23 squad, presumably he isn't someone who the club feel will be first-team ready. I have to say that on the few occasions I've seen him he's stood out, but this is more because he's a fully developed 23 year old surrounded by 18/19 year olds

When we signed him to a new deal at the end of the season, I thought it meant he'd earned a chance with the senior team. But apparently not. So why re-sign him? I know he's not breaking the bank, but surely younger players would be a better investment on the playing time at the position.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:14 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mowgli wrote:

It was quite a strong Birmingham 11

Kuszczak, O'Keeffe, Shotton, Robinson, Keita, Cotterill, Tesche, Gleeson, Lakin, McDonald, Hale

Our u-18's also lost 3-2 against Crewe, we were 2 goals up as well

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:16 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

U-16's beat QPR 2-1

We have another U-23 game tonight against Charlton at Lilleshall

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:20 am 
Manager
Manager

I can only think that Kevin Thelwell is being true to his word with The Duck and giving him every opportunity possible.

Its the kind of gamble and signing you would expect from Walsall, maybe he should loan at Bescot.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:52 pm 
Manager
Manager

As he came to football late on I guess he is still learning his trade and not quite ready for a loan as yet.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

Mowgli wrote:
As he came to football late on I guess he is still learning his trade and not quite ready for a loan as yet.

He has played and scored at an international competition...

He does look very raw though. I guess that one argument is that we have kept Nazon to play for the U23s and this allows Niall Ennis to go out on loan to Shrewsbury

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:27 am 
Manager
Manager

toomb wrote:
Mowgli wrote:

He has played and scored at an international competition...

He does look very raw though. I guess that one argument is that we have kept Nazon to play for the U23s and this allows Niall Ennis to go out on loan to Shrewsbury

I can see the argument for the inclusion of two or three older heads to teach and guide the youngsters on the pitch as the match is in progress.

You cant buy that kind of experience and it dont half help with player development.

Sometimes its a few yards here a few yards there, touch tight or let him go.

Its just learning the when and where.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:42 am 
Manager
Manager

Aaron Simpson joins Telford on loan.

About his level.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:14 pm 

And Duckens Nazon to Coventry for 5 months. Get goals, my lad, and come back a valuable striker....

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:53 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Morgan Gibbs-White is on the bench for England U-17's playing Chile in the World Cup right now, Southgate should have picked these kids for the senior side, they are much more entertaining to watch

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:44 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Gibbs-White came of the bench for a 15 minute cameo if anyone is interested, playing in central midfield he made a few bursts forward and hit the post after playing a 1-2, a very good if brief showing, I was impressed

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:11 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
Morgan Gibbs-White is on the bench for England U-17's playing Chile in the World Cup right now, Southgate should have picked these kids for the senior side, they are much more entertaining to watch

Very impressed with the Ingerland yute, made a good South american side look very ordinary, I wonder if we can train it all out of them quite soon :roll:

PS
I deleted the big picture because it was a very big picture, sorry.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:48 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Rozza wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:

Very impressed with the Ingerland yute, made a good South american side look very ordinary, I wonder if we can train it all out of them quite soon :roll:

PS

I thought we had more pace and power but combined it with skill and intelligence, we could have scored more than 4, can't wait for the next game, we've got Mexico tomorrow

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
Rozza wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:

PS

I thought we had more pace and power but combined it with skill and intelligence, we could have scored more than 4, can't wait for the next game, we've got Mexico tomorrow

Gibbs-White aside. Just how good are the English attacking players? Gomes, Sancho, and Foden. :smt050

It's about time the 2 big Manchester clubs started living up to their world class billing and produced quality English players.

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat