Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat

Share On:

Post subject: Helda Costa
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

From hero to villain in one short season perhaps? When I first watched him play for us as a loanee, I got the impression that he had raw talent, but hadn't learned when not to dive and when to pass the bloody ball.

Since his long-term injury and return, he seems to have lost a YARD of pace and now looks to pass when he should just keep going until they chop him down. Surely, last season, he would have left that Brizzle defender for dead, but instead, the defender caught him up and made a goal saving tackle.

I might well be wrong in my interpretation of what I see, read and hear, but there were comments on here on Saturday about - ''who can we bring on that would hold the ball up better than Costa''. In the end, it wasn't necessary as Cavaleiro replaced him and just attacked the opposition.

FOSUN must be wondering how long before he gets back to his old 'good' self and will they see a return on their rather large investment.

Opinions please?

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Helda Costa
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:35 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

He looks a shadow of last seasons model, but he has had no pre-season. He looks skilful still, but has lost some pace and gets muscled off the ball too easily. He needs game time to improve his fitness, but the way he’s going he won’t get it. Cav made a huge difference to our performance when he came on last night.

I think we need to stick with him though as we know what he can do.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:44 pm 
Manager
Manager

Two very different appearances over Christmas, good against Millwall and awful against Bristol.
No pre-season, and No confidence, he doesn't look the same player.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:02 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

No point in selling. Who would buy? BUT we do need to keep him interested or he will slowly rot away....

At least we have opportunities for him to get back his mojo by using him in rotation. Am sure Nuno will know of potential and will be patient - but only for the rest of this season.

If he doesn't improve over next 3 months and get back to his old swagger, he will be gone in summer (as he won't have earned a place in Prem squad).

Is he a case of preferring to be 'a big fish in a small pool', and doesn't like the competition for adulation??

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:24 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I think it's psychological with Costa. He's playing catch up with most of his team mates and he's gone from being the main man, to being a squad player. I also think we're putting him under a bit more scrutiny than other players.

We know he's a class act, we've seen what he can do when on his game and we have seen glimpses this season. I think once the confidence is back in his own body after his injury and in his own ability, we'll see the player we became accustomed to.

It's a matter of when, not if. But it might not be until next season IMO.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:38 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I agree that it seems to be more of a psychological issue. He has still shown flashes of skill but he loses confidence when it matters. I also wonder, looking at him, if he has done a bit too much body building, perhaps when he couldn't run, and if this has actually slowed him down a bit.

He has only started about 3 or 4 games this season so I think it'e early yet to write him off, I think he still has time to come good again.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:27 am 
Manager
Manager

I don't think it would be good to sell at all. The buyer would possibly resell him at a profit after a season or too of good form. We would look stupid if he scores against us in the premiership in two years.

He needs time and I am sure he will come good.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:29 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Too soon to judge him, as said no pre-season and no proper run in the first team/no reserve football to get match sharp, he doesn't look the player he was last year but he was a diamond floating on a sea of shit then, this season he is well down the order of "star men" we have.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

Not fair to judge him against Bristol when it was 10 v 11 he was near enough playing as a loan striker and was crowded out everytime he got the ball. Simply did not have the space neither did Jota who had the same problem on the other side.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:08 pm 
Manager
Manager

Mowgli wrote:
Not fair to judge him against Bristol when it was 10 v 11 he was near enough playing as a loan striker and was crowded out everytime he got the ball. Simply did not have the space neither did Jota who had the same problem on the other side.

Exactly. Jota hasn't shown the same spark in recent games either. I believe that's more to do with how teams are playing us now, than because the player has lost form. Costa has started to look like his old self the last few games. He's going to play a big part over the remainder of the season. Doesn't help that Cav is probably our most in-form player right now.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:28 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

I don't get to see a lot of games but when he came on against the Blues I was shocked at how out of touch he looked with the rest of the team.

He had that chance against Blues where if he'd applied an easy finish I think he'd have gotten a lot of his confidence back, as it was he tried to go around the keeper by dragging his studs across the ball and that will have done more harm than good to his confidence.

Lots of games left in the season for him to prove that he's still a vital asset.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

Costa will be back.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

This January window should give us an indication if his fate is in his own hands or the hands of others.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:51 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

I voted for Helder in last seasons POTS award.
There is something missing this season,but I'm still confident he will be back to normal.
I didn't think he was the right player to play up top on his own against those BC defenders.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:09 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

wolfrunna wrote:
I voted for Helder in last seasons POTS award.
There is something missing this season,but I'm still confident he will be back to normal.
I didn't think he was the right player to play up top on his own against those BC defenders.

I didn't think so either but what seemed to work so well was Cavaleiro coming on at the right time to cause a bit of havoc so Nuno's decision ultimately paid off.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:43 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I think we left helder and Jota up top to use their pace to hit Brizzle on the break but Brizzle made it very hard for us to do that, worked out alright in the end though :D

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

He's getting there. He was poor against Bristol City, but they were fairly exceptional circumstances.

He needs to get some 90 minutes under his belt though, at the very least some half hour matches. He keeps coming on with 15 minutes to go, which isn't doing him any real good

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:58 pm 
Manager
Manager

He will be the only one of the team who played at Bristol who will probably play 90 mins v Swansea..

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:15 pm 
Manager
Manager

He's starting tonight instead of Cav.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

Played well. Surprised he got taken off tbh.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

SpaceMonkey wrote:
Played well. Surprised he got taken off tbh.

He's seems to be lacking in confidence, and needs to play with a bit more conviction, getting in to the box, taking his man on, and having a crack. It may just take one goal to spur him on, but until then Cav is looking very dangerous.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:26 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

He looked ok but did seem to lack confidence when he had the 1 on 1 with the keeper. Cav is on fire at the moment but I wonder if it helps when he comes on after an hour or so and he can be lively against tiring defences. Costa needa a full 90 minutes now to see what he can do.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

I thought he was underwhelming again last night. He is either petrified of getting injured again so plays below full pace or his injury has robbed him of the ability to go past players.

I don't see him being a key player here next season tbh.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:09 pm 
Manager
Manager

There are some players who like to feel the touchline by their side it comforts them.

Pep found that when he was looking to transform players at City, now with time it happens.

I remember Shankly had similar thoughts with Peter Thompson.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:37 pm 

People being harsh with Costa. Last night was his best performance for a while. Just needs a goal or two to get that confidence back. Those 1 on 1s he would have finished last year.

He was obviously really disappointed to be 'hooked' after 55, but should take positives from game.

He now needs to inject that explosive pace back into his game. Cavaleiro again took the game by the scruff of the neck, and DEMANDED attention from players & crowd alike. Costa needs to do likewise and start to BELIEVE in himself again.

I think Nuno saw enough to persevere. That is why he got picked; Nuni is trying to build his confidence. Wouldn't be surprised to see him start next 3 as well.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:00 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
People being harsh with Costa. Last night was his best performance for a while. Just needs a goal or two to get that confidence back. Those 1 on 1s he would have finished last year.

What I don't understand is when on a one-on-one like Costa (a few times) and Ebok were (v City) that they don't chip the keeper. Surely with the keeper being so far advanced on the occasions I've witnessed they have both the nous and the ability to do so instead of blasting the ball at their legs. I'm sincerely puzzled about this.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:44 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:

What I don't understand is when on a one-on-one like Costa (a few times) and Ebok were (v City) that they don't chip the keeper. Surely with the keeper being so far advanced on the occasions I've witnessed they have both the nous and the ability to do so instead of blasting the ball at their legs. I'm sincerely puzzled about this.

Panic. In a training game they'd chip the keeper easily without even thinking about it I bet.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:32 pm 
Manager
Manager

He apparently (according to Twitters) came alive after Mir came on!

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:35 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Moscow Wolf wrote:

I thought he had a good match throughout really. He is still not back to his best but he caused them some trouble. What Mir seemed to give as well as a couple of decent runs was some height to cross to.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:44 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

I thought he had a good match throughout really. He is still not back to his best but he caused them some trouble. What Mir seemed to give as well as a couple of decent runs was some height to cross to.

Haha, The Wolves Way - you'll upset the footballing purists with those kind of remarks. :|

Mark Twain

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat