Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat

Share On:

Post subject: What is the Wolves way?
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:00 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

I just read a piece about “The West Ham way” of playing football. I have to admit I found it a bit annoying because they haven’t played proper football since the 60s or early 70s. So it got me thinking....if they can rely on past achievements to define their football....what is the Wolves way? By my memory it has pretty much been long ball.....but what about the team of the 50s? I remember reading that Stan Cullis liked passing the ball quickly to the forwards. Anyone actually know? Perhaps that chap who’s Father in law ran the line in a floodlit friendly would know?

Anyhow, bollocks to the West Ham Way.

Rich

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:00 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

They got it forwards quickly - and out wide.

Hancocks & Mullen hared down wings to by-line and crossed for crunching headers.....

My old man reckons Mullen was the only player he ever saw who could run at full pace and cross th ball without breaking stride - or tripping over himself. It was that pace that teams couldn't cope with.

We had other wingers in later years, from Wharton to Wagstaff, and always a great header - from Jimmy Murray, to Dougan, and even Andy Gray....

That was the Wolves Way (plus the customary defensive 'howlers' from the like of Joe Wilson, Fred Davies and the like....!)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Hancocks & Mullen hared down wings to by-line and crossed for crunching headers.....

My old man reckons Mullen was the only player he ever saw who could run at full pace and cross th ball without breaking stride - or tripping over himself. It was that pace that teams couldn't cope with.

We had other wingers in later years, from Wharton to Wagstaff, and always a great header - from Jimmy Murray, to Dougan, and even Andy Gray....

That was the Wolves Way (plus the customary defensive 'howlers' from the like of Joe Wilson, Fred Davies and the like....!)

Route 1, the long ball, kick and rush...it infuriated the opposition so much that they had to invent ways of insulting us.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:06 pm 

And of course in a later time, Graham Taylor was similarly abused for getting Watford from Div4 to Prem by playing pretty much this way.

Remember how he was abused for his crude tactics? (The likes of Glenn Hoddle and ray Wilkins thought we much preferred to watch 'side side back side...' football!)

Taylor had a simple philosophy: nearly all goals are scored from within the penalty area. If you get the ball into the opposition box, and get several players there too, you have a better chance of scoring (and indeed not conceding!) - so "GET IT INTO THE BOX" asap.

What a pity Taylor - having done the blueprint for the academy at Compton - was unceremoniously sacked by Sir Jack's son just when he was in a position to move us forwards. That Hayward cost us YEARS of progress....

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:44 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

After witnessing this team and how they have smashed all the myths that exist about English football I'm surprised anyone still thinks hoofball is a valid tactic to use, until we lose that mindset that "British managers know best" then we will never see England be a force at international level again

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:46 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2016/17

:lol:

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Forever in my Heart, Mum. 26/06/58 ~ 16/03/12.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:47 pm 
Manager
Manager

2.2 points overall is what it means. You can do it the Mick way and that wasn't bad whilst it lasted OR, you can do it the Nuno way. I choose the latter as it has more chance than the runabout a lot Mick way of being long-term successful, - but each to their own and their opinions, but the foregoing was/is mine.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:09 pm 
Manager
Manager

Traditionally we have been a long ball side with wingers I would say.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:47 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I think finishing 7th is usually the Wolves way.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:04 pm 

Rozza wrote:
I think finishing 7th is usually the Wolves way.

:lol:

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Forever in my Heart, Mum. 26/06/58 ~ 16/03/12.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

Our way has always been to set incredibly low standards and constantly fail to achieve them.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:25 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
Our way has always been to set incredibly low standards and constantly fail to achieve them.

You fookin hacked my Military confidential reports. However, I did get a few back to back 'Outstandings' and accelerated promotion. FFS, I could be a General now, but gave it all up for.......... enter your own version of events here.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:19 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
FFS, I could be a General now, but gave it all up for.......... enter your own version of events here.

Bed-hopping and Booze :lol: It's like an adult reproduction of Bedknobs and Broomsticks :lol: :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:57 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
FFS, I could be a General now, but gave it all up for.......... enter your own version of events here.

Bed-hopping and Booze :lol: It's like an adult reproduction of Bedknobs and Broomsticks :lol: :lol:

That threesome with Richard Gere and a well trained hamster ?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:29 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Don't think it was hoof back then,it wasn't.
They didn't become one of the best teams in the world by kick and rush.
It certainly wasn't tika-taka,but they did PASS the ball,long passes.
Hancocks and Mullen hit HARD crosses from the byline on the volley with as many players as
possible arriving into the box.
Pandemonium for defenders and a great chance of a goal for us.
Stan Cullis believed in the fewer passes the better to score system,who is to say he was wrong
for the times and conditions.
Look at what was achieved with this so called kick and rush.
What the purists never take into consideration was the pitches back then.
I love to watch Lionel Messi,the best player of all time imo,but he couldn't have played
as he does on those pitches and that is a fact.
Have a look at the history and achievements and decide yourself if it was hoof.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

The Wolves Way was renowned in the 50's and 60's under Cullis and since then has not really had a true "Wolves Way" mentality or style. Ronnie Allen, McGarry, Barnwell all had a go at establishing their Wolves Way but never really got it up and running consistently. Turner got a Wolves Way going briefly in the late 80's but that was at lower levels although he did very well. Taylor got sacked far too early but at the time there was no "Wolves Way" to be seen. McCarthy kind of established his way on to a "Wolves Way" but it was in an era where we could never compete on and off the pitch, so he was always struggling to keep us up in those torrid three years we had under him in the Prem. It is only now, under Nuno, that you can start to see a proper "Wolves Way" emerging bit by bit....not seen such great football here since the 1960's.....let's just hope that we can progress under him in the future like we have this season and then we can safely say: "This is the Wolves Way"...

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Route 1, the long ball, kick and rush...it infuriated the opposition so much that they had to invent ways of insulting us.

SEL old bean, it definitely wasn't Route 1 all long ball or kick and rush.

The Wolves of the fifties played quick effective attacking football. No square passing, no playing backwards but positive forward play. They could play through teams and they could play around teams.

Broadbent was a seriously gifted player, the like we've not seen at Molineux until Ruben arrived. He could pass long or short, leave players in his wake and score goals.

Flowers, Slater and Clamp were footballers. Not just strong blokes who hoofed the ball, make no mistake they could play.

Hancocks and Mullen didn't always hare down the wings and cross the ball. They could also inter pass with their inside forwards and wing halves. They were also very different players. Mullen, who was very pacey, wanted the ball inside the full-back to run on to. Hancocks, on the other hand, wasn't as pacey but was a better dribbler and so wanted the ball to his feet.

The 'Wolves Way' of the fifties took into consideration the state of the pitches, especially at this time of the year when they would be showing signs of considerable wear and tear so making some of the slick passing moves of the present team extremely difficult.

Make no mistake the boys of the fifties would have relished the underfoot conditions of today and flourished.

Feel better for that. :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:32 pm 
Manager
Manager

warn wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:

SEL old bean, it definitely wasn't Route 1 all long ball or kick and rush.

The Wolves of the fifties played quick effective attacking football. No square passing, no playing backwards but positive forward play. They could play through teams and they could play around teams.

Broadbent was a seriously gifted player, the like we've not seen at Molineux until Ruben arrived. He could pass long or short, leave players in his wake and score goals.

Flowers, Slater and Clamp were footballers. Not just strong blokes who hoofed the ball, make no mistake they could play.

Hancocks and Mullen didn't always hare down the wings and cross the ball. They could also inter pass with their inside forwards and wing halves. They were also very different players. Mullen, who was very pacey, wanted the ball inside the full-back to run on to. Hancocks, on the other hand, wasn't as pacey but was a better dribbler and so wanted the ball to his feet.

The 'Wolves Way' of the fifties took into consideration the state of the pitches, especially at this time of the year when they would be showing signs of considerable wear and tear so making some of the slick passing moves of the present team extremely difficult.

Make no mistake the boys of the fifties would have relished the underfoot conditions of today and flourished.

Feel better for that. :lol:

You misunderstand me, our warn. I was alluding to the insults heaped upon us (at least in my early days) when we beat the likes of Liverpool and Manure during my time as a lab technician in the North West all those years ago...but not quite so long as you can go back to. 8) Whoops! :oops: :oops:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:17 pm 
Manager
Manager

Enjoy today, but don't be disrespectful to yesterday.
Warn and wolfrunna are both correct.
Great players adapt, and we have had some across the years

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:20 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Didn’t we used to water the pitch because our team was very fit and would rely on the other team running out of steam on a heavy pitch? They were a good side....you don’t win the league and FA cup by being cloggers.

Fair play on the nod to Broadbent. Watched the 1960 FA cup final....full game on you tube. He was the only real footballer I could spot. I know the times were different, the ball appeared heavier and the players wore actual boots.....but the skill level of football has definitely increased....

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:38 pm 
Manager
Manager

RickyB wrote:
Didn’t we used to water the pitch because our team was very fit and would rely on the other team running out of steam on a heavy pitch? They were a good side....you don’t win the league and FA cup by being cloggers.

Fair play on the nod to Broadbent. Watched the 1960 FA cup final....full game on you tube. He was the only real footballer I could spot. I know the times were different, the ball appeared heavier and the players wore actual boots.....but the skill level of football has definitely increased....

They certainly watered the pitch at half time v Honved. They absolutely saturated it on Cullis's orders.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:41 am 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

I am sure you have all seen it, but here is the whole game in 1960....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mfiSQKZR8u8

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:51 am 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

I love the way Norman Deeley runs...after he scored his goal

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:49 am 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Some great stuff on here boys.

The MM prmotion team of 2009 was exciting, attacked with pace, and was full of goals. However, poor ball retention saw us often come under pressure and we were prone to conceding. This was epitomised in games like Derby 2 Wolves 3 in the run in.

A great team that deserved promotion, but despite 3 seasons in the Prem, you could never say we established ourselves as we rarely had the ball or controlled the midfield.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:42 am 
Manager
Manager

Good sides are not built on short ball or long ball football they are built on playing the right ball at the right time.

I never saw the fifties team but from footage saw them choose the right ball as required.

Even going back to Wolves latest match against Brentford this past week, first half Saiss kicking towards the North Bank.

From the right hand side produced a long diagonal ball into Douglas on the left who layed it back for a strike by Jota.

Second half.

Coady played a long diagonal into the path of Doherty who played it into Cav for a strike on goal.

For me the two best passes of the midweek game were these long balls that opened up the field for an attempt at goal.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:08 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Good sides are not built on short ball or long ball football they are built on playing the right ball at the right time.

Can't argue with that. A player who can deliver a long ball accurately is an important asset.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:54 am 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

knocker knowles wrote:

I never saw the fifties team but from footage saw them choose the right ball as required.

Even going back to Wolves latest match against Brentford this past week, first half Saiss kicking towards the North Bank.

From the right hand side produced a long diagonal ball into Douglas on the left who layed it back for a strike by Jota.

Second half.

Coady played a long diagonal into the path of Doherty who played it into Cav for a strike on goal.

For me the two best passes of the midweek game were these long balls that opened up the field for an attempt at goal.

The long diagonal ball has been a feature of our season. There have been some tight games but we have opened them up occasionally with this quality. Messrs Handbrake Jackett and Lambert didn’t have such luxuries.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
You misunderstand me, our warn. I was alluding to the insults heaped upon us (at least in my early days) when we beat the likes of Liverpool and Manure during my time as a lab technician in the North West all those years ago...but not quite so long as you can go back to. Whoops!

I was just being mischievous SEL. :lol: 8)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:25 pm 
Manager
Manager

Post Cullis I never thought Wolves knew how to balance their midfield, the central positions especially.

I thought Ronnie Allen saw the faults but couldn't find an answer through the transfer window, Burnside and Munro didn't work out.

Then through the seventies there were to many holes for sides to step through.

I thought Ian Greaves had a good tactical mind but he was here at the wrong time.

I think this problem continued through the decades, this midfield lacking balance.

And then fifty years on there was Nuno.. Ihe wait for a smart midfield was over.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

warn wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
You misunderstand me, our warn. I was alluding to the insults heaped upon us (at least in my early days) when we beat the likes of Liverpool and Manure during my time as a lab technician in the North West all those years ago...but not quite so long as you can go back to. Whoops!

I was just being mischievous SEL. :lol: 8)

You're a very naughty boy. :ctf2:

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat