Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat

Share On:

Post subject: Just Got Back - Cup
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:02 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

After all the build up, a bit of a disappointment, or is it?

Both fielded a weakened but not reserve side. Match spoiled (again?) by a so-called 'top ref' who insists on instant decision-making and overcome by a desire to be the talking point of every game.

Surprised to see Doherty and Bonatini not rested, but it gave us a positive outlook. Game was quite even (did Swansea REALLY have 67% of of first half? Didn't feel like it, and we certainly had by far best chances.)

Norris - 7 - yet another very competent display, and STILL to concede a single goal! A couple of good catches, a couple of straightforward saves, and a stupendous push of a free kick onto and over bar that the useless ref did not notice! (Best thing he did all day - the ref that is!)
Bennett - 7 - calm unflustered and some key wins in our box. Increasingly solid.
Coady - 7 - solid and organised and blocked as usual.
Hause - 8 - really growing into a solid performer. Refuse to be rushed. Skilful. Distribution thoughtful. Some great aerial wins. Really impressive performance when he needed one!
Doherty - 7 - typical Doc. He has allied some really good flicks and touches with Costa - link up excellent: surely the most improved FOOTBALLER in the side?
N'Diaye - 9 - undoubted MoM for me. Worked his socks off and an absolute BEAST in middle of park. Won everything, chased, hassled and harried. Won aerial battles (so nearly scored in 1st half). Looked after the young lad in first half. A great performance, and one that will give Nuno a delightful headache!
Gibbs-White - 7 - shame the lad was sacrificed after the red card. Looked confident and composed. Quality player, certainly not fazed by Prem opposition. A bit more confidence and might have scored.
Vinaigre - 5 - was already in ref's bad books after 2 over-robust 'barges' to give away fouls. Red maybe harsh, but on seeing replay, it is not a ludicrous decision - just an unforgiving one. Would he have escaped without the previous fouls? Till then, competent but nothing special.
Costa - 8 - MUCH better performance (and he needed one!) He looked almost back to his mesmeric best. Seemed a bit quicker today, and more confident in self and ability to run with ball. A couple of half chances, but signs we are going to get the Costa of last year back very soon!
Bonatini - 6 - love this guy. Does so much unheralded work. No major chances, and NEARLY put in brilliantly just before being subbed. If the lad had just a tad more pace....
Enobakhare - 6 - rapidly turning himself into one of those infuriating players who seems to have it all, and has nothing. Does so much good work, and then spoils with a shocking pass, or wayward shot. Is anyone working on his TECHNIQUE for shooting. A decision needs to be taken on the lad quickly. We cannot wait forever. Only 19, but he should be showing more signs of composure and decision-making. SHOCKING failure to hit target when N'Diaye had a header saved & he blasted past an open goal from 8 yards.

Douglas - 6 - not usual busy self. Perhaps he resented being called upon through Vinaigre's silliness?
Cavaleiro - 6 - injected life and pace, but not much end product today.
Mir - 7 - (generous, but he's new!) looks a beast, and certainly put himself about in box. Won a couple of headers well, and had a brilliant effort (great run and through ball) superbly blocked by Swans defender. Will need an early goal to give confidence. His 'shot' from outside box was embarrassing (did GK have to run forward to collect?) Looks a fair prospect.

Overall a reasonably entertaining game. We did more flicks and tricks and clever passes and link play than Swans ever did. They also looked clumsy at the back with poor first touch. If Nuno wants to win there in 10 days, I suspect we can.

Swansea CERTAINLY won't be relishing the prospect of another game; they might field a very weak side... Might depend on the draw, and who we are due to meet in 4th round....

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Just Got Back - Cup
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:53 pm 

Having seen the replay of Fer's red, I can see why it was given. He was miffed having lost out to Costa, got up, gave chase, and kicked Costa - not tripped - cynical and quite aggressively.

I can see why it was a red for violent conduct.

If they appeal that one, no hope of being rescinded.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:39 am 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Having seen the replay of Fer's red, I can see why it was given. He was miffed having lost out to Costa, got up, gave chase, and kicked Costa - not tripped - cynical and quite aggressively.

Nuno said it was a red so I guess there will be no appeal.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:45 am 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Cheers Silver, you have been slacking on your just got back duties and I always like them, please up your game :D

As goalless draws go, it was fairly enjoyable. I was annoyed that we didn’t take advantage of at least one of the tremendous chances we had prior to Vinagres indiscretion. MOM for me was Hause, he was under pressure to perform, and did so! Mir looked raw but a good option from the bench, I still think we will bring in another striker though. Bright is running out of time to prove himself, what is he supposed to be?

I can’t see thar Swans team surviving in the Prem, very little flair.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:19 am 
Manager
Manager

On another day we could have won 2-0 despite being down to ten for most of the game. Realistically given the sending off of poor Ruben for a rash step it was not a bad result. I am sure Costa, Alfred, Will Norris and a few others benefitted form the game time glad they are getting another pop at it in Swansea.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:40 am 
First XI
First XI

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Kicked him my arse! he ankle tapped him as he ran off, deliberate, cynical and a yellow all day long but if that was violent conduct we might as well all give in now. Neves certainly might as well retire because if you start sending people off for challenges like that he'd never last a game, still I suppose he's one of ours so it dosn't count.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:16 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Cymru Wolf wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Kicked him my arse! he ankle tapped him as he ran off, deliberate, cynical and a yellow all day long but if that was violent conduct we might as well all give in now. Neves certainly might as well retire because if you start sending people off for challenges like that he'd never last a game, still I suppose he's one of ours so it dosn't count.

Clearly we have different opinions. I saw it as a kick in anger because he lost the ball. If that wasn't the case, an appeal should sort it out.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:48 pm 

Interesting differences.

It wasn't a hard kick, but it was retribution for what he saw as being made a mug of by Costa.

It was a harsh red, but I think the ref took several things into account in the build up, not just the 'ferocity' or otherwise of the trip/kick.

Anyway - it won't matter much; we'll win the replay whether he is banned or not!

A replay is good for the second string; another opportunity for good game time for N'Diaye, Norris, Hause, Batth, Vinaigre (if available), Gibbs White, Costa, Mir, Enobakhare, Wilson, etc. Just a problem for the 2 wing-backs.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:28 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I like your positivity Silverstone. I said to my son when their goalie was deliberately time wasting that he could be making a big mistake if he thought their best chance of winning the tie was by taking it to a replay.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:12 pm 

Exactly!

Swansea do not have a game the following weekend until Monday - at home to Liverpool - so I suspect they will put out a strong side against us. But that brings its own risks - not just of injury, but of morale too!

If their best XI is beaten by effectively our 2nd XI just what will that do to already fragile confidence?

Carvalho has a big decision to make. Does he go for it and risk... or does he just how in their 2nd team?

Me? I am confident WHATEVER team they put out.

(Oh - and presumably Nottm Forest guy sent off will not be available v us.)

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:50 pm 
First XI
First XI

"It wasn't a hard kick, but it was retribution for what he saw as being made a mug of by Costa.

It was a harsh red, but I think the ref took several things into account in the build up, not just the 'ferocity' or otherwise of the trip/kick."

Trouble is under the laws of the game that dosn't matter. Don't know how you watched the highlights, but I watched MOD last night mainly to see the Vinigre sending off which didn't look a red at the time but clearly was.

I think it was Upson who went over the Leroy Ferr sending off and as he said, cynical and a yellow but he could'nt see what he'd done that constituted a red card offence under the laws of the game as it wasn't violent and wasn't a clear goal scoring oppurtunity.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:50 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Presumably the ref either interpreted it as violent or as a clear goal scoring opportunity. If he appeals it will be interesting to see how the panel look at i.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:30 pm 
First XI
First XI

The expected appeal has been forthcoming, violent conduct, be interesting to see what the panel make of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42610243

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat