...according to The Sun.

And there's this
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/ ... loan_move/

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:41 am 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Yep - he’s back. I am sure he’ll do well.

Seems we paid a loan fee and all his (premier) wages, BUT - though we have an option to buy - no obligation.

This looks sensible. He costs a fair bit but should guarantee promotion. Nuno can watch & coach & decide if he will be an asset in Premier.

Looks to be very sensible - if a bit costly - business. Clearly didn’t want to be exposed with say 2 injuries.... They’ve seen tackles on Jota.... Lucky so far....

WELCOME BENEK - now knuckle down & enjoy the ride!!!! It is VERY different from last time...

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:42 am 
Manager
Manager

£1 million loan fee, apparently.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:47 am 
First XI
First XI

I am, for one, delighted with this. I think he will do well in this team. Competition up front now. He has a lot to prove but if he can't do well in this team he won't do well anywhere. Come on Benik, get stuck in son.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:47 am 
Manager
Manager

It's on SSN now as having been confirmed.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:16 am 
Manager
Manager

Great work by Wolves to not blink first too. Shows we won't be pushed over.

Really happy with this signing. Top striker and will suit our style.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:01 am 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Perhaps Chelsea folding 0-3 to brownmuff at home convinced the brownies of their survival ....so they thought they don’t need him now , and kerching take the fee and his wages gone.

If he cost 8 million on three years contract 1 million for just under half a season ( 17 games) is reasonable.

I would certainly start him and give Leo a four week rest as sub....coming on if necessary

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:16 am 
Manager
Manager

I am glad we now have the extra striker as cover. We were skating on thin ice for some time and the ice always melts..

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:25 am 
Manager
Manager

Fantastic signing. Give him a start right away so that jaded players can have a break.

Having Benek and Rafa will really give our front three more options, breaks and should put the teeth back into our bite.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:01 am 
Manager
Manager

A good signing and a good deal.
He is a player we could take with us if we go up.
Welcome back, hopefully he will see we are a different club and team to the one he left

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:03 am 
Manager
Manager

Proves we are owned and managed by folk who know what they're talking about.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:01 am 
Manager
Manager

Gave up last night disappointed that we were leaving ourselves so short on the striker front - delighted to wake up to this news.

A player proven at Championship level for a minimal fee to help get us over the line and a better forward than any of our rivals have signed. On top of that, there's no reason to fear him not settling in and he may well be fired up to prove something to both some of our fans as well as his parent club.

Top work Wolves.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:34 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Thelwell 2 years ago:

"You could list our entire first team squad and see that they were trying"
"Benik was no longer trying to play for us and that was undermining everything we were trying to achieve"

One of the local hacks simply has to ask him about those comments

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:29 am 
Manager
Manager

woodwolf wrote:
Thelwell 2 years ago:

"Benik was no longer trying to play for us and that was undermining everything we were trying to achieve"

The lure of the Prem has turned the heads of many a young man. Hopefully he will be older and wiser and well aware of the opportunity that he has been given.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:38 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

suiging wrote:
woodwolf wrote:
Thelwell 2 years ago:

The lure of the Prem has turned the heads of many a young man. Hopefully he will be older and wiser and well aware of the opportunity that he has been given.

I don't blame Afobe for going, it was clear we were on a road to nowhere and Moxey wanted to offload our prized assets. I'd just love Thelwell to say something similar.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:54 am 
Manager
Manager

I'm fairly neutral about BA's return mainly for his attitude towards the end of his first spell here, but there again I wasn't that keen when we signed Dougan. 8)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:32 pm 
First XI
First XI

woodwolf wrote:
Thelwell 2 years ago:

Yes. It was obvious he was underperforming. But, we don't know the reason for that. Maybe it was internal politics. Who knows? Who cares? We all know he can score at this level given the service and this team can certainly supply the chances. He will be a much wiser human being than when he left us. Come on Benik, lead us back to the Prem.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:11 pm 
Manager
Manager

woodwolf wrote:
Thelwell 2 years ago:

What do you want to achieve by this? Don't you want him to fit in, do well and help to get us promoted?

The past is the past. There's no need to drag this up again for no useful purpose.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:28 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

woodwolf wrote:
Thelwell 2 years ago:

Thelwell was bang out of order with these comments as was Moxey with his. The fact was that the club had stopped trying. Morgan had lost interest and was quite happy for us to drift aimlessly until he could sell up for a tidy profit. It must have been pretty demotivating for our one of our 'star players' seeing good players leave without being adequately replaced. I don't believe for a second that Afobe gave less than his all, but I do believe that he was disillusioned at the lack of ambition at the club. That along with a lack of talent around him made him look distinctly average in the last few months of his time here.

That said, all this prodigal son returns nonsense that I'm reading in some quarters is a bit much. He was only here for twelve months and was pretty average for a good chunk of that time.

Overall a loan deal is low risk. I'd have been very sceptical about buying him outright, but this deal suits us.

Last edited by lankywolf on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:45 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

woodwolf wrote:
Thelwell 2 years ago:

Is he African?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:35 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

I thought Thelwell was spot on evidenced by the Afobe I witnessed in his final days.
That was then and this is now,so if he does the job require then its an astute signing.
When he played for us,I thought it was Sako and Dicko that made him.
I wish him well,he's older and hopefully wiser now.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:18 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

SELWolf wrote:
woodwolf wrote:
Thelwell 2 years ago:

What do you want to achieve by this? Don't you want him to fit in, do well and help to get us promoted?

The past is the past. There's no need to drag this up again for no useful purpose.

Quite the opposite really; I have no desire for this to be dragged up but it's the elephant in the room, undoubtedly still fresh in the minds of both Thelwell and Afobe, and it certainly hasn't been forgotten in the media from what I was reading yesterday.

I'd like to think they're both adult enough to draw a line under it and I'm sure we can all make our minds up who was really behind his departure, but I hope Thelwell has got his carefully chosen words ready for if/when this type of question is put to him.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

woodwolf wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
woodwolf wrote:
Thelwell 2 years ago:

Quite the opposite really; I have no desire for this to be dragged up but it's the elephant in the room, undoubtedly still fresh in the minds of both Thelwell and Afobe, and it certainly hasn't been forgotten in the media from what I was reading yesterday.

I'd like to think they're both adult enough to draw a line under it and I'm sure we can all make our minds up who was really behind his departure, but I hope Thelwell has got his carefully chosen words ready for if/when this type of question is put to him.

It's a matter between them which I reckon both would like to dismiss and get on with hte new job at hand. If you don't want it to be dragged up then you shouldn't have mentioned it.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

I doubt he would have signed here again if he was that bothered by Thelwell's comments.

Thelwell wasn't wrong either. But footballers do it all the time to force a move. I assume Thelwell thought we'd never be in the position to re-sign Afobe so it wouldn't be an issue to publicly slate him. Ah well :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:44 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

SELWolf wrote:
woodwolf wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

It's a matter between them which I reckon both would like to dismiss and get on with hte new job at hand. If you don't want it to be dragged up then you shouldn't have mentioned it.

When I say I have no desire for it to be dragged up, I refer to an environment outside a message board. I doubt my post here has brought this issue to the fore, indeed, I'd forgotten what was actually said until I read it several times over on various social media yesterday.

I was merely pointing this out and that I would be surprised if some reference wasn't made to it at some point by local hacks, but hadn't thought that I might be responsible for it.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:26 pm 
Manager
Manager

woodwolf wrote:
When I say I have no desire for it to be dragged up, I refer to an environment outside a message board. I doubt my post here has brought this issue to the fore, indeed, I'd forgotten what was actually said until I read it several times over on various social media yesterday.

I was merely pointing this out and that I would be surprised if some reference wasn't made to it at some point by local hacks, but hadn't thought that I might be responsible for it.

I sense that you're moving the goalposts.

Anyhow, let's knock it on the head as we both (so you intimate) don't think it's worth thinking about.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:33 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Was OK here last time - sold for a big profit - was disinterested towards the end - was diss'ed by many on here not just Thelwell.
Went to the prem - hasnt pulled any trees up- hence they wanted their money back.

A bit of an odd signing all round tbh - and one Im particually nonplussed by.

Many on here didn't want him back ...but many (maybe even some of the same) now acting like he will be the prodigal son rerturning.

Maybe he will fit in and score the goals we so obv. need so in that respects it may work....

but then what?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:10 am 
Manager
Manager

I think he has a lot to prove......again.

If ever a man was put in a position where he needs to work his socks off, he be that man.

Not a lot of money for a guy who can score, is big enough and now experienced enough to handle chump defenders, and a man laterally playing for his footballing life.

Not a bad call

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:41 am 

Agree. Am sure Afobe & Thelwell will have had face to face & resolved it.

We have a good deal. Nothing to lose. If Afobe wants his career back on line, needs to make a big success here. If so, & Nuno believes good enough -even as back up for Prem - he will sign; if not, its back to Cherries & possibly a future bouncing round lower leagues (with Leon Clarke!)

Come on Benik - it's up to you; no excuses. No drooping shoulders; no moans. Learn from Jota & co....

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:37 am 
Manager
Manager

davejonesears wrote:
Was OK here last time - sold for a big profit - was disinterested towards the end - was diss'ed by many on here not just Thelwell.
Went to the prem - hasnt pulled any trees up- hence they wanted their money back.

A bit of an odd signing all round tbh - and one Im particually nonplussed by.

Many on here didn't want him back ...but many (maybe even some of the same) now acting like he will be the prodigal son rerturning.

Maybe he will fit in and score the goals we so obv. need so in that respects it may work....

but then what?

I'll admit I'm one of those who was placed in the first camp but now feel quite excited about his return. I'm not one to hold grudges over trivia and think wtf, if he does well it was worth the gamble.

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat