Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat

Share On:

Post subject: Just Got Back - phew!
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:33 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Well ... whoever invented the hackneyed truism 'a game of two halves' needs a pat on the back tonight! Ridiculous game. For 30 minutes we played champagne football and could and should have scored 5 in the first half. The champers was beginning to go a little flat before half time, and on half time Neves got clattered.

We never looked the same again, and in the end witness the unlikely spectacle of hanging on....!! A complete turnaround, and we just weren't able to cope with the half time tea break.

Ruddy - 7 - a couple of good saves and a couple of real howlers.... Won't be good enough for Prem. Time to give young Norris a go, Nuno??
Bennett - 7 - solid enough. God control and even some better distribution!
Coady - 7.5 - solid and organised, and a great goal-line clearance in last minute!
Boly - 7.5 - typical massive presence - but some uncharacteristic errors. A bit casual...??
Doherty - 6 - strangley almost unused in 1st half & not usual self in second. Disappointing.
Neves - 7.5 - brilliant 1st half, but muted 2nd. Did clatter before had time affect him?
N'Diaye - 7 - worked and worked as ever. Great box to box for goal.
Douglas - 6 - Another - like Doc - who did not get so involved in that pulsating first 45. Gave some poor balls away, but also some timely interceptions. Odd game. Still want him to take on FB more!
Cavaleiro - 9 - undoubtd MoM for me. Always a threat and SO much hard work. Fantastically unselfish to give Costa second. Full of tricks. Looked a class apart today.
Jota - 6.5 - strangely off-colour. Could have had a hat-trick, but just not quite on the money. Could have been a day to score for fun.... Will have to wait!
Costa - 7.5 - some great work. Nearly back to best. Faded in 2nd half.

Afobe - 6 - worked so hard. 2 glorious chances - both missed target. One AWFUL first touch when we looked certain to score... Trying too hard. Relax and the goals will come. Needs to score SOON or will be out of side and no chance to stake a claim for a move...
MGW - 7 - really added pace and purpose when he came on for last 10. Good that Nuno had confidence in lad to throw him on when we were under the cosh a bit. Easier options were available.

Overall, an odd day. Fabulous first 45, and nearly a disaster in the second. Oh well it's football. At least we didn't do a Bristol City.....!

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

Strange sort of match, so many opportunities to create and score but not decisive enough on this occasion.
Give QPR credit for stopping the wing-backs but it did open up opportunities inside them for Jota, Cav and Costa.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

I would like to know what Hollowhead did at half time, what did he change tactically? I know that he brought on a sub that had caused us problems during the first leg at Loftus Road, but how do you go from champaign football to hanging on in 45 minutes with the quality of our team and bench.

I predicted 5-0 and at times, thought that I had sold myself short and then, it all goes somewhat pear shaped. Anyway, another 3 points in the bag so mind the gap Aston Villa. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback Mr. Silver.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:06 am 
Wolves Academy
Wolves Academy

The introduction of Smith gave them a focus and he often positioned himself next to the undersized Coady for an easy ball forward. They played off this with Washington winning a lot of second balls too easily. The referee was far too inconsistent which caused frustration amongst players and fans alike.

One point, Bennett deserves to be equal with his CB partners for a goal saving tackle in the last 10, it was absolute quality anticipation and athleticism.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Credit to Holloway - he got them to by pass the midfield in the second half and make best use of the big bloke who kept getting knock ons and causing us a bit of panic at the back. Not sure why we didn't get Boly to deal with Smith's aerial threat. I think Cavaleiro in particular and Costa to a lesser extent were able to cause havoc in the first half BECAUSE Holloway had arranged for Douglas and Doherty to be closed down.

I do think though that the three central defenders were magnificent in throwing themselves into blocks and clearances and this was definitely a performance where we would have conceded the equalizer or worse late on in most of the last 20 seasons. Let's be pleased that we have the resilience as well when some of the creativity stops working.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:53 am 
Manager
Manager

I'm going to bed happy. That is all.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:53 am 
Manager
Manager

Did anyone notice Holloway's old fashioned body giggle secret messages to the players? I thought all the managers who used those funny dances were gone and dusted. Strange how it is still so common in baseball.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:36 am 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
I would like to know what Hollowhead did at half time, what did he change tactically? I know that he brought on a sub that had caused us problems during the first leg at Loftus Road, but how do you go from champaign football to hanging on in 45 minutes with the quality of our team and bench.

I predicted 5-0 and at times, thought that I had sold myself short and then, it all goes somewhat pear shaped. Anyway, another 3 points in the bag so mind the gap Aston Villa. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback Mr. Silver.

He realised he couldn't coach defensive football by half time, with ten behind the ball usually doing the work of five.
So he thought fuck this for a game of soldiers we may as well have a go.
So reaching back into his manager days at Blackpool he got players forward of the ball then tried to get it early to them.
Win the headers, be first to the ball, win the second ball, your traditional English qualities.
Add the fact that without Saiss Wolves sometimes lose their balance which leads to giving the ball away and leaving holes and its game on.
If as a team you push up and take away your opponents time you create a totally different game.
Often mentality beats strategy.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:27 am 
Manager
Manager

Strange week...and performances
Amazing last week, good again for 30 minutes, and then hanging on.
Jots got hit in the face, although I'm not sure, mobile phone footage can be used??
Ruddy with so many clean sheets is constantly under pressure.
We struggled when they went route one, to the big man.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:35 am 
Manager
Manager

The midfield looked somehow one paced at times. The beautiful football broken down when QPR realised they couldn't hope to compete with our Euro style and raised the tempo with a more route one approach.

We needed the lads to move up a gear between the boxes every now and again to keep QPR on their toes. A Conte like dynamo would balance our side offering that tempo change when needed.

Our passing sublime at times, however when that one pass went astray ( often NDiaye ) the team relied on Coady and Bolly to clear up.

One step away from greatness.

Edited to add, Ruddy is OK. Nothing more, and will struggle in the promised land.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:29 am 
Manager
Manager

A very pretty girl was serving in the Bar in The Major Buckley. She was totally out of her depth and was screwing the whole thing up. I said " Don't worry, you're just having a bad day."

She replied laughing, " No it's me. I have no common sense at all."

How can we not dominate world football when we employ such honest staff ?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:00 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
A very pretty girl was serving in the Bar in The Major Buckley. She was totally out of her depth and was screwing the whole thing up. I said " Don't worry, you're just having a bad day."

She replied laughing, " No it's me. I have no common sense at all."

How can we not dominate world football when we employ such honest staff ?

Sacked in the morning, she will be sacked in the morning, sacked in the morrrrrrrning, she will be sacked in the morning.

Well, we didn't help ourselves in the second half by being sloppy, and giving the ball away in midfield, cheaply. However, the game should have been over by half-time, and even when QPR got us rattled, we still had enough changes to finish them off. I though MGW looked more positive when he came on, and Fobes will score soon. Onwards and upwards.

Chant of the day: Shit Peaky Blinder, you're just a shit Peaky Blinder to which Holloway tipped his cap towards the South Bank :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:54 pm 
First XI
First XI

We still won. Another 7 wins and we are up. Wasn't so long ago I was saying another 10 wins and we are up.

Thought our first-half display sublime. A couple more goals and we would have breezed it. As it was a very tough second-half ensued. But we still won.

Gibbs-White. What a player.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:22 pm 
Manager
Manager

A weird game, we could have been two down after six minutes as QPR had two good openings on goal. Them we were suddenly two up and cruising. Then, second half we stopped doing the concentration thing and let them run the game, very lucky in the end but all teams need luck, the Coady goalline clearance was such a massive relief all round. I made my day even better by having a £1 bet on N'Diaye first scorer and Wolves to win 2-1, paid me £71 back.... 8)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:23 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Well ... whoever invented the hackneyed truism 'a game of two halves' needs a pat on the back tonight! Ridiculous game. For 30 minutes we played champagne football and could and should have scored 5 in the first half. The champers was beginning to go a little flat before half time, and on half time Neves got clattered.

We never looked the same again, and in the end witness the unlikely spectacle of hanging on....!! A complete turnaround, and we just weren't able to cope with the half time tea break.

Ruddy - 7 - a couple of good saves and a couple of real howlers.... Won't be good enough for Prem. Time to give young Norris a go, Nuno??
Bennett - 7 - solid enough. God control and even some better distribution!
Coady - 7.5 - solid and organised, and a great goal-line clearance in last minute!
Boly - 7.5 - typical massive presence - but some uncharacteristic errors. A bit casual...??
Doherty - 6 - strangley almost unused in 1st half & not usual self in second. Disappointing.
Neves - 7.5 - brilliant 1st half, but muted 2nd. Did clatter before had time affect him?
N'Diaye - 7 - worked and worked as ever. Great box to box for goal.
Douglas - 6 - Another - like Doc - who did not get so involved in that pulsating first 45. Gave some poor balls away, but also some timely interceptions. Odd game. Still want him to take on FB more!
Cavaleiro - 9 - undoubtd MoM for me. Always a threat and SO much hard work. Fantastically unselfish to give Costa second. Full of tricks. Looked a class apart today.
Jota - 6.5 - strangely off-colour. Could have had a hat-trick, but just not quite on the money. Could have been a day to score for fun.... Will have to wait!
Costa - 7.5 - some great work. Nearly back to best. Faded in 2nd half.

Afobe - 6 - worked so hard. 2 glorious chances - both missed target. One AWFUL first touch when we looked certain to score... Trying too hard. Relax and the goals will come. Needs to score SOON or will be out of side and no chance to stake a claim for a move...
MGW - 7 - really added pace and purpose when he came on for last 10. Good that Nuno had confidence in lad to throw him on when we were under the cosh a bit. Easier options were available.

Overall, an odd day. Fabulous first 45, and nearly a disaster in the second. Oh well it's football. At least we didn't do a Bristol City.....!

Don't bring religion into this.... :lol: :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:36 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Cheers Silver. Agree that Cav has been a revelation this season, young SEL was salivating as we discussed his peformances yesterday. However, I felt Coady was MOM yesterday, a battling, brave captains for performance. A very welcome 3 points!!!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:27 pm 

Not sure re Coady. I thought he was less confident than recently. Perhaps he had too much on his plate trying to deal with the giant in the 2nd half...

Can though has been for me the stand out player this year in terms of his progress. His workmate is quite phenomenal, and he does the unexpected... A fabulous player to watch! And usually a smile on his face! (Jota take note - the scowl is not for winners...!)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Not sure re Coady. I thought he was less confident than recently. Perhaps he had too much on his plate trying to deal with the giant in the 2nd half...

Can though has been for me the stand out player this year in terms of his progress. His workmate is quite phenomenal, and he does the unexpected... A fabulous player to watch! And usually a smile on his face! (Jota take note - the scowl is not for winners...!)

Is that Neves? :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:24 am 
Manager
Manager

alig4321 wrote:
The introduction of Smith gave them a focus and he often positioned himself next to the undersized Coady for an easy ball forward. They played off this with Washington winning a lot of second balls too easily. The referee was far too inconsistent which caused frustration amongst players and fans alike.

One point, Bennett deserves to be equal with his CB partners for a goal saving tackle in the last 10, it was absolute quality anticipation and athleticism.

Good points.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:56 am 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Did we sign Can from Liverpool in the window..??... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:01 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

gladbachwolf wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Did we sign Can from Liverpool in the window..??... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stop picking on Silver and his fat fingers :D

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:35 am 

Thank you Mr Jarse.... At my age, arthritic digits and myopic mince pies (not to mention bloody auto-correct) means Cav never comes out right.... Apologies to all for my ineptitude!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:09 am 
Manager
Manager

Apology accepted :wink:

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat