Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 

Share On:

Author Message
 Post subject: Just Got Back - phew!
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:33 pm 
Offline
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:34 pm
Posts: 8889
Location: The Cotswolds
Well ... whoever invented the hackneyed truism 'a game of two halves' needs a pat on the back tonight! Ridiculous game. For 30 minutes we played champagne football and could and should have scored 5 in the first half. The champers was beginning to go a little flat before half time, and on half time Neves got clattered.

We never looked the same again, and in the end witness the unlikely spectacle of hanging on....!! A complete turnaround, and we just weren't able to cope with the half time tea break.

Ruddy - 7 - a couple of good saves and a couple of real howlers.... Won't be good enough for Prem. Time to give young Norris a go, Nuno??
Bennett - 7 - solid enough. God control and even some better distribution!
Coady - 7.5 - solid and organised, and a great goal-line clearance in last minute!
Boly - 7.5 - typical massive presence - but some uncharacteristic errors. A bit casual...??
Doherty - 6 - strangley almost unused in 1st half & not usual self in second. Disappointing.
Neves - 7.5 - brilliant 1st half, but muted 2nd. Did clatter before had time affect him?
N'Diaye - 7 - worked and worked as ever. Great box to box for goal.
Douglas - 6 - Another - like Doc - who did not get so involved in that pulsating first 45. Gave some poor balls away, but also some timely interceptions. Odd game. Still want him to take on FB more!
Cavaleiro - 9 - undoubtd MoM for me. Always a threat and SO much hard work. Fantastically unselfish to give Costa second. Full of tricks. Looked a class apart today.
Jota - 6.5 - strangely off-colour. Could have had a hat-trick, but just not quite on the money. Could have been a day to score for fun.... Will have to wait!
Costa - 7.5 - some great work. Nearly back to best. Faded in 2nd half.

Afobe - 6 - worked so hard. 2 glorious chances - both missed target. One AWFUL first touch when we looked certain to score... Trying too hard. Relax and the goals will come. Needs to score SOON or will be out of side and no chance to stake a claim for a move...
MGW - 7 - really added pace and purpose when he came on for last 10. Good that Nuno had confidence in lad to throw him on when we were under the cosh a bit. Easier options were available.

Overall, an odd day. Fabulous first 45, and nearly a disaster in the second. Oh well it's football. At least we didn't do a Bristol City.....!

_________________
E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity


Top 
 Profile  
 
Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:43 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:35 pm
Posts: 8546
Strange sort of match, so many opportunities to create and score but not decisive enough on this occasion.
Give QPR credit for stopping the wing-backs but it did open up opportunities inside them for Jota, Cav and Costa.

_________________
http://www.rugusavay.com/wp-content/upl ... otes-2.jpg


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:46 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:26 am
Posts: 23348
Location: South East Bulgaria
I would like to know what Hollowhead did at half time, what did he change tactically? I know that he brought on a sub that had caused us problems during the first leg at Loftus Road, but how do you go from champaign football to hanging on in 45 minutes with the quality of our team and bench.

I predicted 5-0 and at times, thought that I had sold myself short and then, it all goes somewhat pear shaped. Anyway, another 3 points in the bag so mind the gap Aston Villa. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback Mr. Silver.

_________________
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:06 am 
Offline
Wolves Academy
Wolves Academy

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:42 am
Posts: 394
The introduction of Smith gave them a focus and he often positioned himself next to the undersized Coady for an easy ball forward. They played off this with Washington winning a lot of second balls too easily. The referee was far too inconsistent which caused frustration amongst players and fans alike.

One point, Bennett deserves to be equal with his CB partners for a goal saving tackle in the last 10, it was absolute quality anticipation and athleticism.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 am 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 20580
Location: Four Oaks
Credit to Holloway - he got them to by pass the midfield in the second half and make best use of the big bloke who kept getting knock ons and causing us a bit of panic at the back. Not sure why we didn't get Boly to deal with Smith's aerial threat. I think Cavaleiro in particular and Costa to a lesser extent were able to cause havoc in the first half BECAUSE Holloway had arranged for Douglas and Doherty to be closed down.

I do think though that the three central defenders were magnificent in throwing themselves into blocks and clearances and this was definitely a performance where we would have conceded the equalizer or worse late on in most of the last 20 seasons. Let's be pleased that we have the resilience as well when some of the creativity stops working.

_________________
The next level awaits - Euros now


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:53 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:44 pm
Posts: 34624
Location: S E London, near Kent
I'm going to bed happy. That is all.

_________________
:wolvlog

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:53 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:27 pm
Posts: 4479
Location: Queensland at the moment
Did anyone notice Holloway's old fashioned body giggle secret messages to the players? I thought all the managers who used those funny dances were gone and dusted. Strange how it is still so common in baseball.

_________________
Time for a beer.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:36 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 23123
Location: Cannock.
Moscow Wolf wrote:
I would like to know what Hollowhead did at half time, what did he change tactically? I know that he brought on a sub that had caused us problems during the first leg at Loftus Road, but how do you go from champaign football to hanging on in 45 minutes with the quality of our team and bench.

I predicted 5-0 and at times, thought that I had sold myself short and then, it all goes somewhat pear shaped. Anyway, another 3 points in the bag so mind the gap Aston Villa. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback Mr. Silver.


He realised he couldn't coach defensive football by half time, with ten behind the ball usually doing the work of five.
So he thought fuck this for a game of soldiers we may as well have a go.
So reaching back into his manager days at Blackpool he got players forward of the ball then tried to get it early to them.
Win the headers, be first to the ball, win the second ball, your traditional English qualities.
Add the fact that without Saiss Wolves sometimes lose their balance which leads to giving the ball away and leaving holes and its game on.
If as a team you push up and take away your opponents time you create a totally different game.
Often mentality beats strategy.

_________________
Nuno is the first Wolves coach I have believed in since the internet was invented.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:27 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 6753
Strange week...and performances
Amazing last week, good again for 30 minutes, and then hanging on.
Jots got hit in the face, although I'm not sure, mobile phone footage can be used??
Ruddy with so many clean sheets is constantly under pressure.
We struggled when they went route one, to the big man.

_________________
In this world, you only, have one life - and I gave mine to Wolves.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:35 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 15715
Location: Moved
The midfield looked somehow one paced at times. The beautiful football broken down when QPR realised they couldn't hope to compete with our Euro style and raised the tempo with a more route one approach.

We needed the lads to move up a gear between the boxes every now and again to keep QPR on their toes. A Conte like dynamo would balance our side offering that tempo change when needed.

Our passing sublime at times, however when that one pass went astray ( often NDiaye ) the team relied on Coady and Bolly to clear up.

One step away from greatness.

Edited to add, Ruddy is OK. Nothing more, and will struggle in the promised land.

_________________
Dyslexics are teople poo


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:29 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 am
Posts: 15715
Location: Moved
A very pretty girl was serving in the Bar in The Major Buckley. She was totally out of her depth and was screwing the whole thing up. I said " Don't worry, you're just having a bad day."

She replied laughing, " No it's me. I have no common sense at all."

How can we not dominate world football when we employ such honest staff ?

_________________
Dyslexics are teople poo


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:00 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:59 pm
Posts: 18975
Location: WV4 and WL4
suiging wrote:
A very pretty girl was serving in the Bar in The Major Buckley. She was totally out of her depth and was screwing the whole thing up. I said " Don't worry, you're just having a bad day."

She replied laughing, " No it's me. I have no common sense at all."

How can we not dominate world football when we employ such honest staff ?


Sacked in the morning, she will be sacked in the morning, sacked in the morrrrrrrning, she will be sacked in the morning.

Well, we didn't help ourselves in the second half by being sloppy, and giving the ball away in midfield, cheaply. However, the game should have been over by half-time, and even when QPR got us rattled, we still had enough changes to finish them off. I though MGW looked more positive when he came on, and Fobes will score soon. Onwards and upwards.

Chant of the day: Shit Peaky Blinder, you're just a shit Peaky Blinder to which Holloway tipped his cap towards the South Bank :lol:

_________________
Thank you very much for Stevie Bull. Thank you very much, thank you very, very, very much.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:54 pm 
Offline
First XI
First XI
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:52 am
Posts: 2030
Location: Wolverhampton
We still won. Another 7 wins and we are up. Wasn't so long ago I was saying another 10 wins and we are up.

Thought our first-half display sublime. A couple more goals and we would have breezed it. As it was a very tough second-half ensued. But we still won.

Gibbs-White. What a player.

_________________
My son - Wolves through and through. The best part of my life is going to the match with him.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:22 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 7220
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
A weird game, we could have been two down after six minutes as QPR had two good openings on goal. Them we were suddenly two up and cruising. Then, second half we stopped doing the concentration thing and let them run the game, very lucky in the end but all teams need luck, the Coady goalline clearance was such a massive relief all round. I made my day even better by having a £1 bet on N'Diaye first scorer and Wolves to win 2-1, paid me £71 back.... 8)

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:23 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 7220
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Well ... whoever invented the hackneyed truism 'a game of two halves' needs a pat on the back tonight! Ridiculous game. For 30 minutes we played champagne football and could and should have scored 5 in the first half. The champers was beginning to go a little flat before half time, and on half time Neves got clattered.

We never looked the same again, and in the end witness the unlikely spectacle of hanging on....!! A complete turnaround, and we just weren't able to cope with the half time tea break.

Ruddy - 7 - a couple of good saves and a couple of real howlers.... Won't be good enough for Prem. Time to give young Norris a go, Nuno??
Bennett - 7 - solid enough. God control and even some better distribution!
Coady - 7.5 - solid and organised, and a great goal-line clearance in last minute!
Boly - 7.5 - typical massive presence - but some uncharacteristic errors. A bit casual...??
Doherty - 6 - strangley almost unused in 1st half & not usual self in second. Disappointing.
Neves - 7.5 - brilliant 1st half, but muted 2nd. Did clatter before had time affect him?
N'Diaye - 7 - worked and worked as ever. Great box to box for goal.
Douglas - 6 - Another - like Doc - who did not get so involved in that pulsating first 45. Gave some poor balls away, but also some timely interceptions. Odd game. Still want him to take on FB more!
Cavaleiro - 9 - undoubtd MoM for me. Always a threat and SO much hard work. Fantastically unselfish to give Costa second. Full of tricks. Looked a class apart today.
Jota - 6.5 - strangely off-colour. Could have had a hat-trick, but just not quite on the money. Could have been a day to score for fun.... Will have to wait!
Costa - 7.5 - some great work. Nearly back to best. Faded in 2nd half.

Afobe - 6 - worked so hard. 2 glorious chances - both missed target. One AWFUL first touch when we looked certain to score... Trying too hard. Relax and the goals will come. Needs to score SOON or will be out of side and no chance to stake a claim for a move...
MGW - 7 - really added pace and purpose when he came on for last 10. Good that Nuno had confidence in lad to throw him on when we were under the cosh a bit. Easier options were available.

Overall, an odd day. Fabulous first 45, and nearly a disaster in the second. Oh well it's football. At least we didn't do a Bristol City.....!



Don't bring religion into this.... :lol: :lol:

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:36 pm 
Offline
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:42 pm
Posts: 1604
Location: Wombourne
Cheers Silver. Agree that Cav has been a revelation this season, young SEL was salivating as we discussed his peformances yesterday. However, I felt Coady was MOM yesterday, a battling, brave captains for performance. A very welcome 3 points!!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:27 pm 
Offline
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:34 pm
Posts: 8889
Location: The Cotswolds
Not sure re Coady. I thought he was less confident than recently. Perhaps he had too much on his plate trying to deal with the giant in the 2nd half...

Can though has been for me the stand out player this year in terms of his progress. His workmate is quite phenomenal, and he does the unexpected... A fabulous player to watch! And usually a smile on his face! (Jota take note - the scowl is not for winners...!)

_________________
E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 pm 
Offline
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 20580
Location: Four Oaks
SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Not sure re Coady. I thought he was less confident than recently. Perhaps he had too much on his plate trying to deal with the giant in the 2nd half...

Can though has been for me the stand out player this year in terms of his progress. His workmate is quite phenomenal, and he does the unexpected... A fabulous player to watch! And usually a smile on his face! (Jota take note - the scowl is not for winners...!)


Is that Neves? :lol:

_________________
The next level awaits - Euros now


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:24 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 23123
Location: Cannock.
alig4321 wrote:
The introduction of Smith gave them a focus and he often positioned himself next to the undersized Coady for an easy ball forward. They played off this with Washington winning a lot of second balls too easily. The referee was far too inconsistent which caused frustration amongst players and fans alike.

One point, Bennett deserves to be equal with his CB partners for a goal saving tackle in the last 10, it was absolute quality anticipation and athleticism.


Good points.

_________________
Nuno is the first Wolves coach I have believed in since the internet was invented.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:56 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 pm
Posts: 7220
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Not sure re Coady. I thought he was less confident than recently. Perhaps he had too much on his plate trying to deal with the giant in the 2nd half...

Can though has been for me the stand out player this year in terms of his progress. His workmate is quite phenomenal, and he does the unexpected... A fabulous player to watch! And usually a smile on his face! (Jota take note - the scowl is not for winners...!)



Did we sign Can from Liverpool in the window..??... :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:01 pm 
Offline
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:42 pm
Posts: 1604
Location: Wombourne
gladbachwolf wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Not sure re Coady. I thought he was less confident than recently. Perhaps he had too much on his plate trying to deal with the giant in the 2nd half...

Can though has been for me the stand out player this year in terms of his progress. His workmate is quite phenomenal, and he does the unexpected... A fabulous player to watch! And usually a smile on his face! (Jota take note - the scowl is not for winners...!)



Did we sign Can from Liverpool in the window..??... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stop picking on Silver and his fat fingers :D


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:35 am 
Offline
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:34 pm
Posts: 8889
Location: The Cotswolds
Thank you Mr Jarse.... At my age, arthritic digits and myopic mince pies (not to mention bloody auto-correct) means Cav never comes out right.... Apologies to all for my ineptitude!

_________________
E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:09 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:59 pm
Posts: 18975
Location: WV4 and WL4
Apology accepted :wink:

_________________
Thank you very much for Stevie Bull. Thank you very much, thank you very, very, very much.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

The Wolf will always be free to its members, but if you feel you would like to contribute towards the running costs, than please feel free to donate.

 

 

Disclaimer : This forum is for the general discussion/topic of Wolverhampton Wanderers. What is said within the forum is personal opinions, and The Wolf will not be held responsible. Your ip is logged for security reasons. The forum is viewable by the public and any topics you disclose/discuss can be viewed by the public. Some topics on this forum may only be suitable for those aged 18+.