Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat

Share On:

Post subject: Just Got Back - Saints
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:47 am 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Well - another day, another lie. Not just - shared a bottle of Pinot Noir after a couple of nice chilled Sauvignon Blancs.... Now ready....

To be honest, a rather disappointing performance. Not quite to our usual standard. Could and should have been in front in first 15, but then went off the boil. Southampton were our equals for last 25 of first half, and the first 25 of second. But subs make a difference. Some excellent saves by McCarthy early on. Patricio had to be alert. But Saints - whatever you say about Hughes - DID have a plan to stop our wingback from being so influential. And it worked for an hour.... But then...!!

Patricio - 7.5 - commanded box in air. Made saves look very straightforward. Spilled one but recovered well. Looks such a class act, he oozes confidence that spread to defence.
Bennett - 7 - apart from a couple of dodgy moments, did his usual stuff with little alarm.
Coady - 7 - more great positioning to marshall defence.
Boly - 8 - this guy has certainly stepped up after an uncertain start v Everton. Made several great bursts forward. Wish we could do something more creative with corners to get him in better positions....
Doherty - 8 - another massively influential game. Pegged back in first half, but became a major threat in second. Great perseverance for assist. BBC had him as MotM.
Neve - 6 - not quite as sharp as usual. Shooting boots need to find target. Worked socks off!
Moutinho - 7 - another classy performance. Kept their midfield quiet.
Jonny - 6 - not too great a game - until he popped up for a nerve-settling second!
Costa - 7 - looked a constant threat. Hope injury not serious. Subbed at 55.
Jimenez - 8 - love this guy and all he offers. So unlucky with 2 efforts that demanded excellent saves from keeper. A couple of quick shots on turn too. He is gonna score plenty!!
Jota - 6 - really worked hard, and an effective game, but last touch not running for him. It'll come!

Subs:
Traore - terrible start. Lost ball and way several times for 10 minutes, then suddenly looked the most threatening player on the pitch! The guy is gonna be great when Nuno's team have finished with him!
Cavaleiro - first touch in PL and scores. What an impact. So enjoyed himself. A thorn from the minute he came on.

What will Nuno do? We have already created a record by picking same side for 7 matches... Will he go for 8, or will Traore or Cavaleiro force a way into his thinking?

Interesting that Dendonker and MGW both didn't make bench today after being ok in midweek...?

Not a great game, but we did our usual. We passed neatly, and mainly looked solid. We need to show more creativity not just in open play, but also with free kicks and corners. We are NOT creating space. We are not doing enough 'clever' runs in between defenders. We have midfielders who can spot it and find it - we need the forwards to be on same wavelength.

Still - 3 points is 3 points. Onwards and upwards - and off to Crystal Palace next week! (Just bought tickets for Brighton in a month too!)

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:14 am 
Manager
Manager

I thought Rui had a superb game. It wasn't just the shots which he saved but the way he commanded the box which made him man of the match for me.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:31 am 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Jiminez MOM for me, worked his nuts off.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:59 am 
Manager
Manager

hugh jarse wrote:
Jiminez MOM for me, worked his nuts off.

Isn't he the bloke who was hopeless up front and soooo many questioned why we kept him and got rid of that great player and loyal Wanderer, Afobe ?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:10 pm 
First XI
First XI

Jiminez and Boly for me.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:52 am 
Manager
Manager

What pisses me off

Is how long substitutes take to get ready to come on.

I think Nuno should have a buzzer on top of the dugout, once pressed he shouts a players name and they have thirty seconds to be ready.

At the moment, its find the shirt, check the pads, how high are the socks.

Lads its a game of football not a friggin catwalk.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
What pisses me off

Is how long substitutes take to get ready to come on.

I think Nuno should have a buzzer on top of the dugout, once pressed he shouts a players name and they have thirty seconds to be ready.

At the moment, its find the shirt, check the pads, how high are the socks.

Lads its a game of football not a friggin catwalk.

What about that Saints player who got a minimal knock and his treatment consisted of leaving the field for at least 5 minutes to change his boots!?

An absolute red alert of a player who doesn't want to be part of the team.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:36 pm 

My complaint about subs is that NO team ever seems to warm them up properly.

A few jogs down the line, a couple of hamstring stretches, and a shake of the manager's hand is not proper preparation.

If I were Nuno, I would send a player plus fitness coach back down the tunnel 5 minutes before bringing him on, and do some vigorous stretches and exercises to get a sweat on before coming on. How often do we say a sub "has not yet got to the pace of the game"? Of course he hasn't - if he did, he would pull a hamstring or spread a plate!

GET THEM WARMED UP PROPERLY, MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

A few jogs down the line, a couple of hamstring stretches, and a shake of the manager's hand is not proper preparation.

If I were Nuno, I would send a player plus fitness coach back down the tunnel 5 minutes before bringing him on, and do some vigorous stretches and exercises to get a sweat on before coming on. How often do we say a sub "has not yet got to the pace of the game"? Of course he hasn't - if he did, he would pull a hamstring or spread a plate!

Very good point.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:57 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I think a tweak in the starting line up might just freshen things up now.....Give teams another aspect to consider... Cav and Traore to start for me, but hey what do i know?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:32 am 
Manager
Manager

wolfman169 wrote:
I think a tweak in the starting line up might just freshen things up now.....Give teams another aspect to consider... Cav and Traore to start for me, but hey what do i know?

Cav if he's fit enough, perhaps, but definitely not Traore. His strength is in coming on as a sub for the last 15-20 minutes. His passes are still wayward and he is a bit of a loose canon which fine towards the end of the match running against tired legs.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:08 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Whatever happened to "IN NUNO WE TRUST".

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

wolfrunna wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Whatever happened to "IN NUNO WE TRUST".

The warm-up is a very complex issue with no definite conclusions.

There is insufficient evidence to endorse or discontinue routine warm-up prior to physical activity to prevent injury among sports participants. However, the weight of evidence is in favour of a decreased risk of injury. Further well-conducted randomised controlled trials are needed to determine the role of warming up prior to exercise in relation to injury prevention

Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 2006

So you take your pick. 8)

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:41 pm 

But it isn't JUST abut injury-prevention.

It is about the newcomer IMMEDIATELY getting up to the speed of the game that the other 21 are now fully warmed up for and engaged in.

Still think it's worth a try. And I DO still trust in Nuno, but just offering a piece of advice as to how we might just be very slightly better in the immediate minutes after a sub comes on, so he just gets to the cross & scores rather than just not!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:42 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

It is about the newcomer IMMEDIATELY getting up to the speed of the game that the other 21 are now fully warmed up for and engaged in.

Still think it's worth a try. And I DO still trust in Nuno, but just offering a piece of advice as to how we might just be very slightly better in the immediate minutes after a sub comes on, so he just gets to the cross & scores rather than just not!

Cav did. :lol:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:54 pm 

No he didn't.... didn't even reach the box. Relied on Jimenez to spot him arriving late on edge of box, and supply a ball straight back to him!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:41 am 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

It's impossible to get up to speed in any game until you're in it.

To be as warmed-up as you possibly can be you would have to be involved in game related drills and that's impossible on the touchline. Anyway, the effects of warm-up begin diminishing after about 90 seconds.

Game related warm-ups, as well as warming and stretching the muscles, help you practice your skills and make you aware of what is needed during the match.

The necessity of a warm-up is a complex issue but if the player is convinced he's done all he can to be ready then he is. So if you put in place the most simple of warm-up routines and the player believes in it then you're on a winner. :wink:

A lot of it is between the ears.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:11 pm 
Manager
Manager

The difference in our fitness and injury count, since the Mick and TC days is truly amazing.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
The difference in our fitness and injury count, since the Mick and TC days is truly amazing.

Unbelievable difference. Let's hope it continues.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:09 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
No he didn't.... didn't even reach the box. Relied on Jimenez to spot him arriving late on edge of box, and supply a ball straight back to him!

Did Cav not get there to score then? You didn't mention about getting into the box before. I wasn't particularly disagreeing with your contention, I just wanted to remind us that Cav scored cos it's nice.

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat