Share On:

Post subject: Just Got Back - Watford
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:32 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

...... boo hoo....!!

Rubbish ref....
International break....

Sorry guys - no excuses. I had to dash back for a concert so didn't stay to applaud at the end. Sorry!

Watford were better than us all over the pitch. They came with a plan and executed, snd we allowed them to. Disappointing, but there were ALWAYS going to be 'downers' as well as uppers. Perhaps some of the players (and staff) will now take a step back from the hype about us and our style and our quality and realise that win this league you get NOTHING for reputation. You have to work for it... every game.

First was a bit against run of play (was it Moutinho who didn't track back his player in the build up?), and the second looked a shambles of several being switched off at a vital moment. We just never really got our football going. Is it that top coaches and players are beginning to work out how to stop us? We created precious little until Vinagre came on. Foster almost not needed except to the goal kicks. Disappointing, but we move on. Got tickets for Brighton away, and they had a boost with first away win for AGES today....

Patricio - 6 - not at fault for goals, and did most efficiently. Kicking not great, but ok
Bennett - 6 - got REALLY wound up and was trying to hurt someone moist of second half. Will have to look at TV for goals to see if he could/should have done better.
Coady - 6 - did not seem to have the influence we would expect when 2 down.
Boly - 5 - skinned too many times. Recovered well, but not his best.
Collectively, we simply did not look secure at the back.
Doherty - 5 - just not the Doc we know!
Moutinho - 5 - hmmmm..... The physicality of Watford he found hard to cope with
Neves - 6 - not his day. Got very frustrated.
Jonny - 5 - skinned. Subbed
Costa - 6 - tried and some nice bits but....
Jimenez - 6 - seemed a bit off pace. Jet lag?
Jota - 6 - tried so hard, but... no end product - again

Vinagre - 7 - injected pace into attacks.
Cavaleiro = 6 - not much impact
Traore - 5 - no impact.

Was no 'centre forward' the right option? A front four of Cav, Traore, Jota & Costa at the end, and we never really made an impact.... We need to look at the way we are playing in the final third. We just are not clever enough....

Drawing board., We will see if Nuno really IS the manager of the month..... Expect so!

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:46 am 
Manager
Manager

Sometimes those games against sides with a very loose tactical game causes problems because the game lacks structure.

Watford set up to fill the holes, wait for your mistakes, then break in numbers.

What was the surprise was they found better quality and decision making on the ball than they normally muster.
Its bastardised football more usually used to frustrate the home side that on its day pays off if you get the breaks.

Like England away in Spain last week, goals change matches, confidence levels and belief.

A game which reflects the bookies occupational longevity because the margins can tilt in the moment.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:19 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Watford deserved to win. It was a pretty uneventful game until they scored the first.
The margins are so fine though. That shot 9 times out of 10 hits Coady in the bollocks and bounces away to safety, then the complexion of the game is totally different.

I have to say though, that although there seemed to be a lapse in concentration for the second, the finish was absolutely brilliant from Pereyra and was an example of something we lack.

We did make a game of it in the 2nd half which was encouraging, but we never really put any sustained pressure on the Watford goal and our finishing was wasteful.

As Dave Jones used to say every week "goals change games" and that was definitely the case yesterday.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:05 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

The only player who came up to expectations yesterday was "The Sultan" who came on for the second half and widened us out a bit.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:40 am 
Manager
Manager

I see by the interviews given post match Nuno was not a happy man and it was to do with Wolves core values.

Two things you expect from this squad, work ethic and doing the basics within the system.

Its been said we need an extra body in midfield, WE DONT.

We require players making themselves AVAILABLE to our midfield two to enable quick transfer of the ball.
We play very little through the middle our game is about switching the play into movement.

Getting the ball into situations where our extra numbers create the overloads.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:27 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
I see by the interviews given post match Nuno was not a happy man and it was to do with Wolves core values.

Two things you expect from this squad, work ethic and doing the basics within the system.

We require players making themselves AVAILABLE to our midfield two to enable quick transfer of the ball.
We play very little through the middle our game is about switching the play into movement.

Fair point, KK. I see what you mean.

We were very sluggish on Saturday; they played at speed and we trailed after their coat tails.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Last edited by SELWolf on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:39 am 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

We were very sluggish on Saturday; they played at speed and we trailed after their cat tails.

Just to use a boxing analogy we have to be careful we dont become all Ricky Hatton.

Look great against those we can back up, but when backed up find ourselves limited.

Our inside forwards have to offer more threat so the opposition midfield are asked to do more defensive work.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:15 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

We were very sluggish on Saturday; they played at speed and we trailed after their cat tails.

Just to use a boxing analogy we have to be careful we dont become all Ricky Hatton.

Look great against those we can back up, but when backed up find ourselves limited.

Our inside forwards have to offer more threat so the opposition midfield are asked to do more defensive work.

Everyone in the team, when they have the chance, needs to shoot more accurately. If that could happen then the pressure would be on. 8)

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:15 am 
Manager
Manager

Just looking back at the two goals conceded Wolves did very little wrong and its unlikely you will see those types again,
The first one Wolves defended well and all I would have asked was more awareness from Jota as he ran back into defensive position.
Try and mark the Watford player coming towards the box rather than space at the edge of the box.

The second its rare any team gets caught with 7 players forward of the ball and cant recover goalside with at least one or two.
Watford displayed Barcelona style speed on transition and worked the ball forward under control superbly before a Messi style finish.

You just applaud that stuff.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:45 am 
Manager
Manager

I watched the whole game live on TV in an Irish pub in Dusseldorf, Germany. We were very listless in ideas and Watford had our number. Fair play to them, they controlled most of the game in a canter and we could create virtually nothing. The ref was truly shocking, he seemed to go out of his way to award decisions against us, no matter what. He alone disrupted our rythym by his constant whistling against us and stifling our momentum. Worst ref I have seen at the Mol since Uriah Rennie v Bolton in 2004. We will learn from this game and it will be interesting to see how we react at Brighton and also, if we keep up the record of never having lost two successive games under Nuno.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:04 am 
Manager
Manager

If you saw the Arsenal vs Leicester City Monday night game you see how Arsenal overcame the same tactical problem that Watford posed Wolves.

What was key.

Arsenal second half started passing from Zone to Zone rather than passing within ONE Zone.

Once they started doing that Leicester for all their athletic capability couldn't prevent the Arsenal flow.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:18 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
If you saw the Arsenal vs Leicester City Monday night game you see how Arsenal overcame the same tactical problem that Watford posed Wolves.

What was key.

Arsenal second half started passing from Zone to Zone rather than passing within ONE Zone.

Once they started doing that Leicester for all their athletic capability couldn't prevent the Arsenal flow.

I did watch that game also in the Irish Pub and yes, I think what you say is correct.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:39 pm 

Yep - we have started doing too much sideways stuff (like Swansea 2 years ago - got lots of plaudits, but never got anywhere FORWARDS. Now look where they are..... Possession ain't everything!)

It is those forward defence-splitting balls into the channels, in behind defenders, that cause the panic & chaos. The ball out wide to Doc & Jonny look nice, but don't HURT teams. It is the next ball that does/should (be it from Doc/Jonny, or when re-cycled via Neves or Mourinho).

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:14 am 
Manager
Manager

I would like to see Jota and Costa mixing their game up more, sometimes the best option is not running with the ball and they have to develop their range of passing.

We can see with the best player on the planet Lionel Messi how over the past decade he developed his mid range and long range passing.

If after moving the ball out wide we can then as an option move the ball freely back through Moutinho or Neves we become less predictable with the probability of then linking others into an attack.

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat