Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat

Share On:

Post subject: DON'T PANIC!!!!
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:43 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

PLEASE in the light of a disappointing performance can we NOT panic???

We are 4 points behind 4th, and 2 points behind 8th.

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: DON'T PANIC!!!!
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:31 am 
Manager
Manager

Correct, no time for panic. If reaching the top was easy everybody would be doing it.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:12 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Of our 4 league games so far, we've played poor in 2 1/2 of them (the 1/2 being first half against Man U). Yet we are only 4 point off fourth and still above Veela........ All is not lost. :D
I think we need to recruit some quality into the squad in January though (tough ask) especially if we get out of the Europa League Group, which i believe we will.
Quality players that are able to play for us in The Europa league... is that even possible?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:41 pm 
First XI
First XI

I’m not panicking but I do think I’m gonna adjust my expectations. I thought we would challenge for the Europa spot again, but I think that’s going to be incredibly tough with the fixture congestion. Also because we didn’t add as many players as we probably needed. We’ve already played 10 matches in all competitions. 11 of our players have already played in 7+ matches. And the ones that will need rest the most IMO - Coady and Jimenez - have played in all 10.

I think Finishing top 10 again would be a fantastic accomplishment. But I think 11-14th is probably more likely unless we add a lot more in January and/or aren’t in Europa League anymore.

Not in panic mode by any means, just trying to judge a realistic outcome. I’m not discouraged by the winless start as we haven’t really been outclasses. Yesterday we made three abysmal mental mistakes. Those are fixable.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:26 pm 
Manager
Manager

I think its important Wolves find an identity then scout and sign players to fit that identity.

At the moment there is a conflict, some players fit one style, other players another.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
I think its important Wolves find an identity then scout and sign players to fit that identity.

At the moment there is a conflict, some players fit one style, other players another.

Interesting observation, and I guess Nuno can only do much with the players that he's being given, presuming he has little say in the recruitment, although I may be way off the mark. However, he's definitely turning Traore in to a better footballer, and he's becoming a pivotal player for us.

However, I do think that the Chelsea game now becomes an important game, and one we need to win.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:33 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Interesting observation, and I guess Nuno can only do much with the players that he's being given, presuming he has little say in the recruitment, although I may be way off the mark. However, he's definitely turning Traore in to a better footballer, and he's becoming a pivotal player for us.

However, I do think that the Chelsea game now becomes an important game, and one we need to win.

I think if you sign the Traore type your starting off very static and you will lack fluency.
Matt Doherty offers movement, an outball, pass and move, support of others.
Someone who Ruben Neves can use to turn opponents and go again.
With Traore your going one dimensional and limiting your options. Don't like it at all.
That's the crux sign players with the same mindset as Neves or sell him because he will get very frustrated with whats currently happening.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

The balance of the side is not right for me
I didn't understand or like the summer signings, the seemed more in desperation, and they did not improve the squad, which is criminal.
And the season will only get harder..this is Nuno's biggest test of his time at Wolves

Post Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:47 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I want to panic.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:05 am 
Manager
Manager

I don't post much as I don't go to the games so don't feel it apt...however...

We did not sign enough quality (or even quantity) in the closed season.

Nuno has bizarrely stated he wants to give the under 23's a chance,...what is he on about?

We will struggle this season, I hope we don't go down ...but I wouldnt bet against it.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:04 am 
Manager
Manager

Odd selections, tactically inflexible, some serious questions being asked of Nuno. Apart from that first sixty minutes against Leicester we haven't looked good at all.

With Palace away and Watford home up next we will have the opportunity panic if we don't get some more points on the board then, especially with Citeh away after that.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

In our last two games we have been woeful in defence, pure and simple. But, our bigger problem is that we have become too predictable. Teams now know that if they press us high up the pitch we struggle. Stop our back three from passing it around and we struggle. That said, for the first half an hour the game was going nowhere until a shot came out of the blue. Apparently Patricio was unsighted, but the next three goals were garbage defensively. However, our midfield is probably as much of an issue. Neves is being totally wasted playing so deep and Dendonker did nothing yesterday, was totally irrelevant to the game. Traore cannot defend so it was good to see Doherty come on, and he changed the game.

The EPL is getting tougher each year, and whilst relegation is unthinkable, it is not something to be ignored. Right now we need to roll our sleeves up and take the game to the opposition, and from the first whistle, not the second half. We need to wake up and get busy.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:16 am 
Manager
Manager

Its a fair point about the first half hour being pretty neutral .

Yet that first goal has as many questions as answers from a tactical point of view before we play the blame game card of its the keeper.

When an opponent has a corner any ball played into the box has to be contested.

The corner taker cant be allowed to knock a 25 metre pass into another player.

That situation cant occur if you position your players correctly.

Once the ball was returned into the same side an easy overload happened because of lack of numbers and players not doing their basic jobs.
Not going with runners = Joao Moutinho.

We still get a foot in, well done Jota.

But really, are we all ball watching rather than picking up opponents within shooting range.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:19 am 
Manager
Manager

Chelsea were already in control well before the first goal came.

Wolves had a "bright" opening 10 minutes in that we actually looked to be trying to work an opportunity for a goal, then it descended into our no typical "contain the opponent" mode, while doing almost nothing as an attacking unit.

Chelsea got comfortable with this and were already moving through our defensive lines with ease before the goal - which the keeper wouldn't have stopped even if well-positioned imo - arrived.

At 2-4, I thought this is a flattering scoreline, at least we've done something for the goal difference... the 5th then duly arrived to give it a little more reality.

Introducing Mr Jeff Shi – Executive chairman, board member, acting managing director, acting sporting director, unofficial deputy to Raul Jimenez in the striker department and confirmed Banks's drinker

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:28 am 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
Chelsea were already in control well before the first goal came.

Wolves had a "bright" opening 10 minutes in that we actually looked to be trying to work an opportunity for a goal, then it descended into our no typical "contain the opponent" mode, while doing almost nothing as an attacking unit.

Chelsea got comfortable with this and were already moving through our defensive lines with ease before the goal - which the keeper wouldn't have stopped even if well-positioned imo - arrived.

At 2-4, I thought this is a flattering scoreline, at least we've done something for the goal difference... the 5th then duly arrived to give it a little more reality.

Oh I agree, Chelsea for the first twenty minutes were showing respect for the home side and expected early pressure on themselves.
When they found Wolves were offering hardly anything they started to add more forward runners.
Chelsea were not that quick compared to even Chelsea of last season but they must have been surprised at the complete lack of speed within this Wolves side.
Once they started isolating opponents it was then a question of how many.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:35 pm 
Manager
Manager

This sort of result was long overdue, we rode our luck big time v Burnley and could have been 4 down in that game before the late penalty. Now hopefully, it is out of the system and one hopes that an afternoon full of lack-lustre performances and errors have been produced all on the same day. It is too early to panic but we need that first win on the board to settle things down both in the squad and in the stands. I was worried that Coady started the game with two different back three companions in Vallejo and Saiss, he misses Bennett and Boly big time and how it showed. I understand why Nuno changed the back three but it backfired and hopefully he will have learnt from that. Maybe we have been sussed out now, maybe not but Nuno only has Plan A and Plan A and Plan A, no Plan B or Plan C. Time and the players adaptability to a new unknown feeling ( bottom three) will be crucial over the next two league games. Fail to win against either Palace and / or Watford and then I think the panic will start in earnest.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

Interesting Frank played a 343. We switched when we were being swamped in midfield.

Need to go back to our usual back line next time now Doherty is fit. Mountinho can be a bit of a luxury, why not play Neves and Donk with Cutrone added up top. We have a lot of games, nice to have some options. Jimenez shouldn't be arriving back from Mexico and starting two days later, so why not use Neto. Nuno should remember what happened when Saiss played at CB against Southampton. Please stop seeking to shoehorn Traore in to the side, it is bizarre.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
This sort of result was long overdue, we rode our luck big time v Burnley and could have been 4 down in that game before the late penalty. Now hopefully, it is out of the system and one hopes that an afternoon full of lack-lustre performances and errors have been produced all on the same day. It is too early to panic but we need that first win on the board to settle things down both in the squad and in the stands. I was worried that Coady started the game with two different back three companions in Vallejo and Saiss, he misses Bennett and Boly big time and how it showed. I understand why Nuno changed the back three but it backfired and hopefully he will have learnt from that. Maybe we have been sussed out now, maybe not but Nuno only has Plan A and Plan A and Plan A, no Plan B or Plan C. Time and the players adaptability to a new unknown feeling ( bottom three) will be crucial over the next two league games. Fail to win against either Palace and / or Watford and then I think the panic will start in earnest.

We were poor at Leicester despite having a goal disallowed and missing two guilt edged chances.
Man Utd should have beaten us.
Burnley should have beaten us.
Against Everton we could have prevented all three goals, but the better side won.
Against Chelsea we were woeful, a Chelsea nowhere near the side we took four points off last season.

What Nuno is thinking ahead of the Palace game is anyone's guess, but we have got to raise our game by as much as 50% I reckon. We have to defend as team, from the front. We must mark players properly and track runners. We need to start games on the front foot and continue as we mean to go on, not give the impetus to the opposition. We have to get the basics right, and rebuild from there.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:32 pm 
Manager
Manager

Sometimes its not about systems its more about mentality, at this time I believe the mentality within a few has spread to the many.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:11 pm 

Looks like my return from Iceland has arrived just in time!

What have you done while I’ve been away??

Will be at Palace and confidently expect a return to winning ways!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:50 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Looks like my return from Iceland has arrived just in time!

What have you done while I’ve been away??

Will be at Palace and confidently expect a return to winning ways!

Maybe they missed you and that has caused the last couple of blips. Will you let me know when I can panic please. :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:44 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Bloody hell! I was just about to panic then and Jota stopped me.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:48 pm 

NO NEED....

Played well 1st half; not good 2nd.

Well worthy of point. Need to play with more confidence and STRIKE through the ball when in range!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:12 am 
Manager
Manager

Has any reporter asked Nuno if Neves was playing to instruction before he was dropped from the team.
And if he was, why was he dropped?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:12 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Perhaps he wasn't so much dropped as rested given that he played on Wednesday and has played most matches this season. I must admit that the deep role for Neves does seem a bit strange given that we play 3 centre halves and that Coady and Boly in particular are capable of playing the ball out rather than hoofing. It looks like belt and braces.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:50 am 
Manager
Manager

Although Watford were poor and stood off us, we had a better shape with Mouthino pulling the strings, and were more progressive I felt. Neves will come again...

Post Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:00 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
Although Watford were poor and stood off us, we had a better shape with Mouthino pulling the strings, and were more progressive I felt. Neves will come again...

Aye, it's all about squad and squad rotation at this level. Those that have a dip in form will be temporarily replaced and the team will grow stronger with the experience and the knowledge the manager has about who can actually fulfil what role.

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat