Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat

Share On:

Post subject: JUST GOT BACK - Saints
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:42 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Well what a strange one! Ref was not a homer but WAS very weak. From the first minute he allowed both teams to get away with stuff - poor challenges, pulls, pushes, and general shoving. All went to make it a very scrappy game 'of two halves'.

First half Wolves very very poor. Passing game just not working. Poor first touch. Lack of control. Even Moutinho making several errors. Defence looked all over the shop - to easy to get round, then mis-cuing clearances... missing headers... Traore gave a silly free kick (when will players learn that if you run into the back of a stationary player he WILL fall down, and the ref WILL give a foul?) and the resulting play led to a simple ball into box we collectively failed to deal with, and left a guy completely free (from start to finish) at far post. 2nd one was sloppy play to lose possession, then Jonny thought ball was going out, guy hooked it back in, one pass down wing, cross, and Long at near post to score first goal for over 200 days.... AGAINST US!

Fans traumatised. Hundred left stands when 2nd went in (presumably to go and drink. Why do such people bother coming to games? I assume they are all the 'fans' we have gained whilst successful. Pathetic. When 2 down, that's when the TEAM NEEDS YOU!)

Second half Nuno did the obvious (since forwards were simply too distant from each other - Adama and Pedro wide on line, and Raul 40 yards away from both, down the middle. We barely looked like creating anything. In fact, what worried me throughout the match was that we seem to have abandoned our passing game and instead now hoof it forwards and hope Traore will make something of it. Anyway, in second half, Nuno withdrew Neto to play just behind the other two, and got Traore and Jimenez and the supporting Neto to play much closer together.

But even though we scored 3 goals and conceded none, I never felt we really played at all well. Yes, more energy - but the passing was still pretty dire and control poor. Battled well, and defended deep and just about ok for last 10 minutes (but still a couple of hairy moments!)

Oh well - at least it stopped the rot, and 3 points is great when lots of others draw (and Chelsea lose). But we REALLY DO need some fresh legs and fresh bodies. Liverpool soon, then a bit of a break to Man Utd, then another break (thanks to Man Utd in Cup!). Time to recuperate and go again in mid-February!

Patricio - 5 - not much he could do re goals, but his kicking remains very dodgy. Almost caught out by being too slow twice; he is NOT a dribbler. He needs to get rid quicker!
Dendonker - 5 - really not a good game. Struggled to contain pacy wingers.
Coady - 5 - must take responsibility for organising defence from set pieces. Should have spotted spare man (as should GK) and dealt with it. Misplaced passes and miskicked clearances and missed headers more in one game than in whole of last season.
Saiss - 6 - worked socks off and tried desperately to get booked but ref just wouldn't....
Doherty - 5 - here is someone in need of a 2 week rest to recharge batteries. Nothing seemed to go right for him.
Neves - 5 - poor game. Will be interested to see stats. I reckon his worst pass completion rate since he came to Wolves.
Moutinho - 6 - more mistakes than I've seen from him before. Just never got to grips with midfield in 1st half. Moved into Neto role behind front 2 when Neto subbed. A bit better.
Jonny - 5 - seemed to struggle positionally. Has he failed to find the same rapport with Neto and Traore that he has with Jota? Certainly seems at sea. Broke into box brilliantly when 2-2 and for some reason didn't shoot! JUST SMASH IT!
Neto - 7 - started on right. Very busy and quick. Problem - 1st half just too isolated. No pattern to play in final third. He scored! He didn;t use hand! (thanks VAR!). He smashed a GREAT chance over bar (when 2-2) when beautifully set up. Much better in 2nd half 'in the hole'. Struggled with the physicality meted out to him by Soton.
Jimenez - 5 - yep he got 2 (one a penalty - awarded by VAR!!!!! Yes - we got a decision finally!), but looked way out of sorts. Worked and worked - but that's a given, but again so many passes went astray, and balls bobbled away. He is another who DESPERATELY needs 10 days complete break.
Traore - 7 - battered tugged pulled bruised yet again. Again set up several chances, and pulled one get ball back for Neto to score, and for Jimenez too. But he must be getting fed up that he is treated this way by English refs. And he must be getting a bit brassed off that Wolves are increasingly using 'get it to Adama' as tactic A, B, C and now D. We must beware running him into the ground or he will lose his biggest asset.

Sub: Kilman on for Neto (with Saiss into MF and Moutinho pushed into 'hole') - did some solid defending when needed in last 10 minutes.

A strange day. A strange game. A great result.

But as Nuno says: "WE NEED HELP". Get the players in; 5th place is still up for grabs for whoever is willing to put in a solid Spring offensive.

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Last edited by SilverstoneWolf on Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:02 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

What - NIL score for Adama - did you think him that bad? Thought he was worth at least a 7 myself!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:52 am 

Oops - sorry - amended!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:20 am 
Manager
Manager

It`s a nice feeling, winning when you have played so badly. The players, at least, showed great character to turn the game round. Nearly threw away two points though at the end leaving their man free at the back again. Good job he didn`t have his shooting boots on! Those couple of breaks can`t come soon enough.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:50 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Well, the spirit of this team is undeniable. By far the most dangerous team in the league when in a losing position.

But, it was largely not a particularly good performance. As Silver pointed out, despite getting two goals, Raul had an off day. His hold up play is not up to it's usual high standard, maybe due to fatigue?
Doherty isn't having as much influence on games as we know he can either, and Donk doesn't look that comfortable in a back three to me.

How Nuno is getting the results he has, considering the Squad depth and schedule is nothing short of miraculous, but something will have to give eventually. I hope this result doesn't mask the urgent need for some new faces.

Oh, and VAR, even though going in our favour yesterday, completely ruined the best moments of the day. Get rid for Christ's sake.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Well what a strange one! Ref was not a homer but WAS very weak. From the first minute he allowed both teams to get away with stuff - poor challenges, pulls, pushes, and general shoving. All went to make it a very scrappy game 'of two halves’...

Thanks for your observations which are always appreciated and are generally fair from how I see matches which we both respectively see. You were there and I wasn’t, Mr Silver, so I can’t challenge your judgement with much force about this one. However, I did see some of the game on the ’net and I did listen to the commentary throughout and I did see MotD which I concede can definitely give one a false impression. But as a result, I think the ratings from the over-enthusiastic E&S reporter are a bit nearer the mark:
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... r-ratings/

Not only fifth place but I reckon 4th place is also up for grabs.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Last edited by SELWolf on Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

Vital three points, looks like Neto might be a goalscorer too, we are little light in that department.

Good to read Nuno got the front three playing a lot more centrally.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:17 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thanks Silverstone. Your low marks did surprise me a little after another magnificent comeback but I wasn't there so I bow to your on the ground experience.

It does look like the key was the change up front which both you and BBW have highlighted, Jiminez actually had some closer support in the second half.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:16 pm 

Regarding low marks, I genuinely felt quite a number did not play well, and that even though we 'won' the 2nd half 3-0, we still looked strangely disjointed and lacking our usual fluency.

I was AMAZED at some of the scores awarded by E&S. A '9' for Jimenez??

I suspect that several newspapers and 'experts' simply did not watch the game, but rather saw the result, the goalscorers and the half time score, and made assumptions.

Similarly thought the comments on MotD were over the top. Did they REALLY watch the game? Shearer & co seem to have been watching the Newcastle game rather more...!!

You all know me to be positive and an optimist, but yesterday just did not feel good. And like others I hope the result is not allowed to be an excuse for lack of action in the transfer window. We need some refreshing.... But at least Nuno spot the problem and solved it!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:27 pm 
Manager
Manager

Agree with most of the opinions on this thread, we were awful first half and managed to play around 30 mins in a better gear in the second half and won the game. Don't forget that Saints also hit the woodwork through Long and Redmond, on another day we could have lost by 4 or so. Fine margins at times, our spirit is great but how we need Boly back asap.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:55 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Regarding low marks, I genuinely felt quite a number did not play well, and that even though we 'won' the 2nd half 3-0, we still looked strangely disjointed and lacking our usual fluency.

I was AMAZED at some of the scores awarded by E&S. A '9' for Jimenez??

I suspect that several newspapers and 'experts' simply did not watch the game, but rather saw the result, the goalscorers and the half time score, and made assumptions.

Similarly thought the comments on MotD were over the top. Did they REALLY watch the game? Shearer & co seem to have been watching the Newcastle game rather more...!!

You all know me to be positive and an optimist, but yesterday just did not feel good. And like others I hope the result is not allowed to be an excuse for lack of action in the transfer window. We need some refreshing.... But at least Nuno spot the problem and solved it!

Fair comment, Mr Silver, and as I said, not being there I’m not in a position to challenge you about your gradings. I also think that the E&S ratings were OTT; Rosie Swarbrick is new to the job and is from Preston so her motives could be regarded as suspect whilst in the process of finding her feet.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

To be fair, the Wolves and Newcastle games were not at the same time and as an ex-Southampton player, Shearer probably would be more interested in their game than most of the other 3pm games.

Introducing Mr Jeff Shi – Executive chairman, board member, acting managing director, acting sporting director, unofficial deputy to Raul Jimenez in the striker department and confirmed Banks's drinker

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:51 am 
Manager
Manager

It was a nice surprise as I expected nothing.

As regards team shape and ability to function I fear Wolves have completely lost their way.

Quality individual moments coming to the rescue...Again.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:37 pm 
Wolves Academy
Wolves Academy

Do you think Traore and Jiminez may become this generation’s Wagstaffe and Richards ?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:30 am 
Manager
Manager

raggedwolf wrote:
Do you think Traore and Jiminez may become this generation’s Wagstaffe and Richards ?

I would go with Wharton and Dougan.

With the centre forwards having the imaginative brain while the wide players offers head down strength and speed.

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat