Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Vent

Share On:

Post subject: Pubs am shit now.
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:39 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Since the lockdown has eased and pubs have re-opened I have been in about four so far and each one of them has been utterly soulless and shit.
You queue up, provide name date and serial number to be randomly waited upon by apologetic staff in a sterile area that has less atmosphere than a proton.
The worst one to date was one of my favourite pubs, it is called The Woodbridge at Coalbrookdale a place Mr ging will be well familiar with. It sits alongside a beautiful location 50 yards away from the River Severn.
Last year, whilst drinking a cooling draft of local ale that was possibly made by Michaelangelo or the baby Jeebus, I saw a wild Otter frollicking on the opposite bank to us, it was mesmerising to see a wild animal that is personally my favourite at play.

This year (yesterday), we waited in the queue, provided I.D. and several references, to be marched to a table next to four middle aged ladies all squawking to be heard whilst trying not very hard to interrupt their fellow squawkers turn in squawking.
No topic was safe, their loudest squawkery concerned one of the smaller squawkers referring to being a size 8, why four women clucked so loudly about woodscrews I presume is beyond me.

Then the bombshell, the waiter quite surprisingly cautiously asked us what we wanted to drink, when I asked for a sumptuous local blonde ale, he replied, "Sorry sir we have no ales only lager and cider"
My face contorted into that painting called The Scream by Edvard Munch, and whilst asking him to repeat his message it was clear that he too was very embarrassed by the situation, my ghast has never been so flabbered.
Well we had a quick pint of cider and a white wine whilst listening to the ladies hoovering oxygen. The waiter appeared again and the ladies ordered a flat white, an uneven white or possibly a hilly white, a choco moccalotta chocca, a crappy Frapochino or a crappy pair o Chino's I dunno, the waiter fucked off sharpish and bought the ladies back a sordid array of coffee's for fucks sake, pubs should be all about ALE, fuckin BEER, LOCAL ALE AND BEER, not bastard warm cups of overpriced shite for Doris and Cynthia to quaff whilst pissing off their fellow incumbents.

GET YOU PRIORITIES RIGHT.

rant over.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Pubs am shit now.
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:53 am 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
Since the lockdown has eased and pubs have re-opened I have been in about four so far and each one of them has been utterly soulless and shit.
You queue up, provide name date and serial number to be randomly waited upon by apologetic staff in a sterile area that has less atmosphere than a proton.
The worst one to date was one of my favourite pubs, it is called The Woodbridge at Coalbrookdale a place Mr ging will be well familiar with. It sits alongside a beautiful location 50 yards away from the River Severn.
Last year, whilst drinking a cooling draft of local ale that was possibly made by Michaelangelo or the baby Jeebus, I saw a wild Otter frollicking on the opposite bank to us, it was mesmerising to see a wild animal that is personally my favourite at play.

This year (yesterday), we waited in the queue, provided I.D. and several references, to be marched to a table next to four middle aged ladies all squawking to be heard whilst trying not very hard to interrupt their fellow squawkers turn in squawking.
No topic was safe, their loudest squawkery concerned one of the smaller squawkers referring to being a size 8, why four women clucked so loudly about woodscrews I presume is beyond me.

Then the bombshell, the waiter quite surprisingly cautiously asked us what we wanted to drink, when I asked for a sumptuous local blonde ale, he replied, "Sorry sir we have no ales only lager and cider"
My face contorted into that painting called The Scream by Edvard Munch, and whilst asking him to repeat his message it was clear that he too was very embarrassed by the situation, my ghast has never been so flabbered.
Well we had a quick pint of cider and a white wine whilst listening to the ladies hoovering oxygen. The waiter appeared again and the ladies ordered a flat white, an uneven white or possibly a hilly white, a choco moccalotta chocca, a crappy Frapochino or a crappy pair o Chino's I dunno, the waiter fucked off sharpish and bought the ladies back a sordid array of coffee's for fucks sake, pubs should be all about ALE, fuckin BEER, LOCAL ALE AND BEER, not bastard warm cups of overpriced shite for Doris and Cynthia to quaff whilst pissing off their fellow incumbents.

GET YOU PRIORITIES RIGHT.

rant over.

Tis true. The beer in there used to be fine. However, they are now a fully committed 'Gastro Pub" and the likes of you wanting good beer and ordering it with a funny accent, aint appreciated or wanted. Covid, or no Covid.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

Aye, Rozza, it is like sitting in a pub at a wake post funeral. My local has a handful of regulars who pop in for a few hours, some book ahead some walk in on the off chance there is a table free. The staff are great and apologise for the situation they must operate in and also for the reduced range of draught ales. It is soulless but it's better than no pub at all....small mercies and all that...now we sadly treasure something we always took for granted...life is harsh and fickle at times..

Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:08 pm 
Manager
Manager

The past two wik on a Tuesday, I've popped in the Crown Joules in Codsall, formerly The Crown but now owned by the Joules brewery. Now, whilst the drinking experience is more regimented and disciplined at present, they still have a cracking selection of ale on tap, and the Hawaii Five Joe tropical IPA is a truly sumptuous beverage, and for two pints for less than 8 quid, tay bad. Over the road is a Craft Ale bar called Love & Liquor which I've yet to sample, and the previously closed Legion club is now Charlie's Sports Bar & Grill. Here's hoping they all survive and and in time, prosper, and that albino berk and his bell-ends don't give them a death sentence.

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Vent