Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Vent

Share On:

Post subject: Energy Suppliers
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:57 am 
Manager
Manager

I awoke yesterday morning on Saint Patrick's Day to a lovely sunny morning which was in stark contrast to that day 5 years ago when I first flew from Moscow to Sofia to start my new life in Bulgaria.

It was a slow casual morning when at about 11am the four dogs started their angry barking routine and the power went off. I kind of knew instantaneously that the Barsteward Power Company (EVN) had cut me off as I had completely forgotten to pay my bill - you basically get two months usage and then 10 days credit into the 3 month so in short, I ought to have paid the first of the two month's bills by 10th March.

In the 5 years that I have been here, this is the THIRD time I have been 'disconnected', I think it is a bad habit picked up from my Father who never had any money and would never pay before he got the Red Letter; I can recall the scandal and my Mother's 'what will the neighbour's think' when the MEB came and cut us off as my Father had forgotten to pay the Red Letter Bill which my Mother had somehow stuffed under the sofa cushion.

Anyway, I asked the pug faced miserable git that cut me off if he would be so kind and switch me back on now and I would drive straight into Karnobat (my nearest town) and pay the bill in the Post Office. I'd still have to pay the disconnection/reconnection charge of 19 Lev (8-9 Euros) at the Post Office so what difference does it make! Miserable git wasn't going to play ball and drove off.

Now, under normal circumstances, it wouldn't be a problem to be without electricity, but as I have no mains water, I currently rely solely on electricity to pump water from my borehole so even cleaning your teeth and/or flushing your toilet has to be done by bottled water.

Okay, went into town, paid the bill(s) then went to the EVN Offices to ensure that they knew I had paid (its all computerised apparently) and I was told that they should be able to reconnect the supply today, but if not tomorrow before 12. :evil: They came back about 3pm, reconnected me and then asked me if I had any questions. :lol: I asked/told them that for a company that is holding the nation to ransom without any form of competition, a Company with Austrian owners that doesn't send out bills of any description and requires its consumers to go to the Post Office to find out how much they need to pay - why did they feel they had the right to disconnect folk without any warning whatsoever?

I was given the usual flannel, but was told that there is a system where I can be notified/warned by SMS - Super, but why am I only hearing about this now after having been disconnected 3 times already in 5 years.

I fully accept that it is MY responsibility to pay my bills on time, but surely the supplier should forewarn me of how much I need to pay and if I don't, warm me again that they're about to pull the plug. Hopefully, by the end of this year I will have installed my 30kW solar electricity generating panels and the Barstewards will need to pay me.

How does billing work in the UK nowadays as I guess that 90% of folk are on direct debit, but what happens if you don't or can't pay - what is the system of disconnecting folk?

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Energy Suppliers
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:28 am 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
How does billing work in the UK nowadays as I guess that 90% of folk are on direct debit, but what happens if you don't or can't pay - what is the system of disconnecting folk?

What happens in the UK is that we are all ripped off. prices are sky high.

Couldn't tell you about the rest as I pay by DD.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:14 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow, don't they do direct debit in Bulgaria? :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:00 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:

Not in the way we understand it. To set up something similar, required opening a different bank account from the one I already have so I didn't do it.

I'll be going to the electricity supplier shortly to sign some forms so that I will receive an SMS should I forget to pay on time. That's PROGRESS in Bulgaria. :lol:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Embers wrote:

Not in the way we understand it. To set up something similar, required opening a different bank account from the one I already have so I didn't do it.

I'll be going to the electricity supplier shortly to sign some forms so that I will receive an SMS should I forget to pay on time. That's PROGRESS in Bulgaria. :lol:

Will you be going to said supplier, on your horse and cart? I would have thought with your big yard, you'd have your own solar panels and windmills.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:39 am 
Manager
Manager

One to have a good luck at but not checked them as yet, good tariffs.

http://www.sparkenergy.co.uk/your-home/ ... ur-tariffs

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:09 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
Embers wrote:

Will you be going to said supplier, on your horse and cart? I would have thought with your big yard, you'd have your own solar panels and windmills.

I currently have 3 solar panels that provide 300 litres of hot water which is also in turn heated by my wood burning stove during the winter. If/when there is no sun and no fire I have an 80 litre boiler being heated by a traditional electric immersion heater.

I have the approval to install solar electricity producing panels to 30kW and get the Feed In Tariff (FITS) which is now taxed in Bulgaria, but first I have to construct the garages/workshops upon it's roof will sit the majority of the panels. I only have the foundations done so far and it is quite a large investment overall - I might get it done this year or, I might not.

In tandem, I have been looking at a Wind/Solar system to pump up water from my borehole and/or from the stream at the bottom of my land incorporating some container water storage mainly for irrigation, but which could be filtered and treated for drinking should it be necessary.

My aim is to be able to go completely Off Grid should the brown stuff hit the fan. :roll:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 am 
Manager
Manager

When I lived in Kowloon, I received in the post a computerised bill for nothing. Yep, a complete bill but with nothing to pay.

As it's hard to pay nothing, I ignored it. After a time I got a reminder to pay nothing. Ignored that and got a red printed nothing demand with an eighty dollar "administrative" charge for failing to pay nothing.

The inevitable occurred and I was cut off for refusing to pay an administrative charge for failing to pay nothing.

Think I'd have been better off in Bulgaria :shock:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:50 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
When I lived in Kowloon, I received in the post a computerised bill for nothing. Yep, a complete bill but with nothing to pay.

As it's hard to pay nothing, I ignored it. After a time I got a reminder to pay nothing. Ignored that and got a red printed nothing demand with an eighty dollar "administrative" charge for failing to pay nothing.

The inevitable occurred and I was cut off for refusing to pay an administrative charge for failing to pay nothing.

That made me LOFF did that. :lol:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:32 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
suiging wrote:

That made me LOFF did that. :lol:

Gingo, were you put through to an Indian call Centre? :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:09 pm 
Manager
Manager

Nope

Surreal phone call where the operator insisted I pay the admin charge. i simply could not get her to see that you can't pay nothing.

Ended up having to go in person to their HQ and insisting on seeing an organ grinder. The first monkey on the desk still didn't get it :shock:

Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:52 am 
Manager
Manager

Thousands of fracking wells in Pennsylvania 'may be leaking methane'

Besides poisoning the water supply this bastard industry will do all sorts of damage, all to line the idle rich pockets, what a bunch of ....

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... ethane?CMP

Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:02 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:

Besides poisoning the water supply this bastard industry will do all sorts of damage, all to line the idle rich pockets, what a bunch of ....

Are we not in a day and age where we can produce energy without destroying the planet, and people's lives, or if there's billions of dollars to be made, who cares what happens?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:09 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Are we not in a day and age where we can produce energy without destroying the planet, and people's lives, or if there's billions of dollars to be made, who cares what happens?

They know the truth but will deny all responsibility when it goes tits up.
A few times they will say Sorry before moving on to the next earner.. Wankers.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:55 am 
Manager
Manager

Germany moves closer to fracking ban.

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/energy ... ban-303808

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:23 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Germany moves closer to fracking ban.

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/energy ... ban-303808

What is the opposition to this, in our country, and why isn't fracking being opposed more aggressively? Given that they don't know about the risks to the environment are, surely they can not just rail-road this through, and it must be at least passed through Parliament? I don't know the history is to be honest.

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Vent