Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Vent

Share On:

Post subject: Hotel room booking scams
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

I had an email telling me i had booked a room at a hotel in Cheltenham ; seemed believable but obviously a scam. I rang the hotel and they confirmed a booking , i then rang the bank who informed me no payment had been made , so , i put a lock on my card. Rang the hotel back and they confirmed a payment had been made by Expedia. The hotel gave me a number for Expedia which was automated and asked for a booking number which i gave. After a pause, the automated voice stated it did not recognise my booking number. I rang the bank again who told me that no money has gone out - i cancelled my card. The email was from reservations@hotelsone.com

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:44 am 
Manager
Manager

i would imagine that you would go a bit further than Cheltenham for a holiday...

www.vwcaddy.com

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:50 am 
Manager
Manager

whelp wrote:
i would imagine that you would go a bit further than Cheltenham for a holiday...

Cheltenham is a long way from Low Hill :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

The booking gave an address , for the booker , which is a hire cottage in Warwickshire and a phone number. I rang the hotel later asking if .......(the person with my name) ............ had checked in and they told me he had - bizarre. I'm thinking someone had hacked into hotelsone.com ( i have never been on it) which triggered some sort of e-mail to anyone with the same name featured in their e-mail address.

Expedia stated that their itinerary numbers have 11 digits , the one i gave them (from the e-mail) only had nine digits.

What confuses me is that the hotel told me a payment had been made via Expedia - who made that payment?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:22 am 
Manager
Manager

Low Hill Born wrote:
The booking gave an address , for the booker , which is a hire cottage in Warwickshire and a phone number. I rang the hotel later asking if .......(the person with my name) ............ had checked in and they told me he had - bizarre. I'm thinking someone had hacked into hotelsone.com ( i have never been on it) which triggered some sort of e-mail to anyone with the same name featured in their e-mail address.

Expedia stated that their itinerary numbers have 11 digits , the one i gave them (from the e-mail) only had nine digits.

What confuses me is that the hotel told me a payment had been made via Expedia - who made that payment?

Be very careful mate, identity theft is big business and "selling" identity packages is also on the rise. If your good name has been taken, it can only be for the bad and I for one would inform the security sections of my Bank, Credit card and anything else I could think of about my suspicions as well as having a "report number" from Rozza's mob......Just in case your "other" name turns up on Cliff Richard"s phone book or the like.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:15 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
Low Hill Born wrote:

Be very careful mate, identity theft is big business and "selling" identity packages is also on the rise. If your good name has been taken, it can only be for the bad and I for one would inform the security sections of my Bank, Credit card and anything else I could think of about my suspicions as well as having a "report number" from Rozza's mob......Just in case your "other" name turns up on Cliff Richard"s phone book or the like.

If it transpires that Low Hill once got fruity with Sir Cliff, then I'm jacking in The Wolf, and becoming a man of the cloth.

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Vent