Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » FORUM MANAGEMENT » Announcements

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Share On:

Post Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:17 pm 
A Right Bastard Admin
A Right Bastard Admin

Okay I think we can all agree The Wolf as been pretty quiet the past two seasons and it has become a shadow of the forum it once was. I was honestly going to close the place down but it's been around over ten years now and I think it deserves better than that. So I am going to be making some changes over the next month or so, but what would you like to see? What do you want to see more of? What do you want to see less of? What features would you like to see added? Is there anyone you would like to see as a moderator? I want genuine suggestions on how you think we can improve things and get The Wolf back to being the number one Wolves forum on the net.

Cheers

Mcdogs :clap2

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:25 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

Maybe a change of format on viewing ?
Sometime a change of appearance is good.
Just as long as it does not go down the of the M.Mix with groups of posters in pockets of groups just arguing, That's why I stopped posting really (Not just here) cause some petty squibbles if someone does a post that they don't agree with.
But i also think that US the members need to start bigging the site up so others come back/join.

http://original.justgiving.com/jasongartshore
Charity Bike Ride I will be doing if you would like to sponsor me :)

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:23 am 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Yes - occasionally, just a 'freshen up' can be good - but be careful not to get rid of the baby....

No particular suggestions, but maybe there are just too many different boards. I may be unusual, but I visit Wolves Chat and the Prediction League, and almost nothing else. Is the proliferation of 'beyond wolves' stuff performing a useful function?

Perhaps we need to concentrate on our core business - a forum about Wolves for Wolfies.

But don't get downhearted; this has been a disastrous 2 years for the club; the decline in interest is perhaps unsurprising. We will hopefullly head into more interesting times in the Chump!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:16 am 
Manager
Manager

There are plenty of forums within it which could be done away with as nobody is posting on them any more but I've got used to the lay-out and like it a lot. Any major change would piss me off like going into a supermarket and not being able to find what I want following a typical management overhaul.

I also think that we're going through a better spell this last season or two as there have been very few wind-ups and those that have occurred have been well within boundaries of acceptability. There's a really decent relationship between folk as well as funny and interesting discussions. People on it meet up pre-match and the chats I've had are all positive - unlike a few years ago when there was a lot of controversy on here...notably caused by some "away" fans who were regulars. The quality of posting is a lot better than in earlier days when there may well have been a lot more on here but mindless stuff that they came out with diminished the overall quality - summat to be mindful of if you want to attract new posters.

I suspect there will be more activity next season with us playing in the Chump and hopefully there'll be plenty of World Cup discussion though I expect the Wolves Chat to dive a bit until the season starts.

It would be a great shame if it was to fold.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:08 am 
Manager
Manager

There are a number of posters who were regulars and good value who seem to have gone.

Perhaps it would be productive to ask them ( I presume you have their mail from registration) why they went. Might be more insightful than asking those of us who stay what we'd like, as we must to a degree like, hence our continued participation.

You do a great job Mc D, keep on trucking.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:35 am 
Manager
Manager

yes this issue had to be raised if not the place was/is dying on its feet. firstly there are way to many sub forums which are not being used maybe because they are worthless or simply not required in this day and age? a major streamlining is required? our club as been in decline for 2 seasons so that will have a knock on effect on this forum without a doubt. why should I bother to give suggestions as my input here over the last few seasons as been poor? well because I love this place and without it id be worse for it, when you have had the disease ive had you lose interest in everything sadly and doing anything is a massive task but hey ho im coming back slowly.
the moderation team needs a massive shake up I only see cally and rozza on a regular basis and clocks does a good job with the prediction league a major rethink is required on this issue.
mr mc d is a great lad ive met him a few times as I have quite a few members on here who have become good friends and was always great meeting up in the moon on match days for a good few hours before a match. concluding what I think yes you will always have spats and sarcasm on forums but on the wolf it is very minimal and mostly tongue in cheek so all in all keep the wolf going mc d im sure everyone repects you for it !!!!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:40 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I agree with the majority, there are too many sub forums which people hardly post in and many can be combined. The Banter forum isn't too busy that we can't combine that with The News Stand, TV & Film and Music for example. A lot of sections were set up with good intentions but have naturally died away (Newbies, Welcome to the Real World for example), and others were set up to pander to members who give nothing to the forum except self-indulgent crap which centres around them.

The forum declines with the team unfortunately and I think this season has been quiet because some fans have jumped ship for being in League 1. Others just don't have the time. Despite people complaining that the board is struggling, we'd miss it if it was gone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:07 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Open it up so that you don't have to register to view the forum, the other main fan forums don't require you to do that and I think that is holding this place back.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:11 am 
Manager
Manager

Logging In/Registration: It seems to me that we're a closed shop, I can understand why Admin/MODS would want that as it makes life far easier, but not being able to get past the front page without logging in, registering seems OTT to me.

Surely, to invite/incite further interest to join up and register, you need a taster of what is going on inside as you see folk on holidays reading the restaurant menu on the street before deciding whether or not to go in and try the food.

Financing The Wolf: Why can't you have a Front/Home page on the Forum where you can have all the useful WOLVES related links to other Forums, Facebook, Twitter, OS etc. together with and all of your ADVERTISING, but keep them off the Members section where we read and write?

I don't know the legalities, but was thinking about some kind of sweepstake/lottery whereby, if you contribute a few bob then, once the target is reached, anything over that amount gets 'won' by someone who contributed in the first place.

Content: When the troops are too thin on the ground, you regroup and try to defend less ground and therefore the Forums definitely needs a good house clean - get rid of unwanted/unused sub forums and merge those of similar genes. Nutty's Counselling House, Fun and Games, Vent, News Room all into Banter for example. The two 18+ sub forums combined with a one time request from Admin to access both. Films, TV, Books, Music all into one sub forum. Football Chat, General Sport merge them etc. Recession Buster, Classified, Gaming etc, surely can be merged into something somewhere. I would like to log on and see an A4 size front page with all of the sub-forums visible without having to scroll up or down my computer screen.

Moderation/Admin: In my opinion, you (McDogs) need to find a computer technically literate assistant to help you with the day to day, Messages to the MODS/Admin, someone that can do what JON did all those years back. I do not have a problem with the 2.5 MODS we see currently, but one works from a mobile device and the other can't get his dongle to work, so I wouldn't expect them to be moving threads around etc.. but might be I am wrong.

As for new MODS. I don't know why most of them don't appear as often as they used to do, perhaps it is something behind the scenes that isn't shared with the rest of us, but if they don't wish to Moderate then, replace them with those that wish to do so. Suiging would be a good call if he can master the editing part of the job as he is usually active when the rest of us are asleep and keep house.

Muss ought to be considered also.

I'll probably add things later as the thread develops and I've had my second morning coffee.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:08 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Regarding the amount of users on here, I think it is worth noting that both Molineux Mix and The Wolves Forum have been a lot quieter recently, so it is not just this place that has seen a downturn in traffic. I agree with a lot of comments particularly about opening this place up. To attract new members you need to let them see the forum in action.

In my view one of the issues that need addressing is the input from the moderators of this forum. I am certainly not criticising them for the way this place is run, as they do an excellent job, but in quieter periods the moderators should be encouraging debate by opening new threads and joining in the discussions. If I may just mention the Wolves forum for a minute, on there the most frequent posters are nearly all moderators, and a few on here probably know them. On there we have certain light hearted threads such as things that make you happy, or things that make you sad. And they are popular threads. Also in general sport, the cricket thread on TWF is very popular. The one consistent factor though is the input from the moderators on TWF, there are nearly always three or four on line, as we consider moderators to just being ordinary members except for the occasions when we have to keep things in check.

I think this forum is unique in the way it just meanders along in its own way, and I do like it on here as there is very little abuse or winding up going on, though on occasions a bit of good old fashioned mickey taking does no harm.

I would like to finish by saying that my above comments are in no way critical of the management of the Wolf, and I hope steps can be taken to build up the active users.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRKBAmir50

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:52 am 
A Right Bastard Admin
A Right Bastard Admin

I appreciate all of the comments and am honestly surprised how positive they are, keep them coming!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:46 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I agree with Frank the moderators on the other forums are much more active members, this isn't a dig at the current mods as they do a great job and have been on here so long they probably don't have much more to say that they haven't already said, nor am I putting myself forward for the job, I ay no po po :lol:

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:59 pm 
Most Successful Thrush Thrasher

mcdogs wrote:
and get The Wolf back to being the number one Wolves forum on the net.

Has it ever not been number 1? :wink:

As Moscow said, I think the troops are spread a bit too thin....

And I guess it would be preferable if the mods were folk who were frequent visitors and could facilitate some 'activity' when times are slow....
But you'll know what's best Mr Mcdogs :wink:

Last edited by nuttymate on Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

mc dogs does know best I agree and I have to say being a mod on any forum is a commitment which is priveledged and should be an honour to serve that board, sadly on here staff have not done a good job [some of them] get it sorted with a mix of young and old staff to serve all tastes.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:02 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Moscow Wolf wrote:

Moderation/Admin: In my opinion, you (McDogs) need to find a computer technically literate assistant to help you with the day to day, Messages to the MODS/Admin, someone that can do what JON did all those years back. I do not have a problem with the 2.5 MODS we see currently, but one works from a mobile device and the other can't get his dongle to work, so I wouldn't expect them to be moving threads around etc.. but might be I am wrong.

It's possible to do a lot of moderation tasks on a mobile device, but when has there been a desperate need to be on a computer? If needs be it's easy to access a PC when necessary. I think you need to remember that no one really knows how capable some of the mods are on the computers, I don't believe Mcdogs needs an 'assistant'.

With regards to the mods, I know for a fact that some of them do their job when necessary, being a quiet poster does not mean that they aren't carrying out their duties. However, if the general consensus is that the mod team need an overhall then I would be in support of that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

I don't think it's a coincidence that the board has gotten quiet in the period wolves have slumped.

Just the registration thing for me. I personally use the rest of the forum more than wolves chat, but it could be condensed a bit. There are a few sections that are quite strong and a bunch that no one visits.

As daft as it sounds, I would also recommend dropping the 'biggest pain in the bum' trophy as well, folk are too sensitive nowadays, but every winner thus far has buggered off. I actually think that a few plonkers lead to some decent debate at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

Cally wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

It's possible to do a lot of moderation tasks on a mobile device, but when has there been a desperate need to be on a computer? If needs be it's easy to access a PC when necessary. I think you need to remember that no one really knows how capable some of the mods are on the computers, I don't believe Mcdogs needs an 'assistant'.

With regards to the mods, I know for a fact that some of them do their job when necessary, being a quiet poster does not mean that they aren't carrying out their duties. However, if the general consensus is that the mod team need an overhall then I would be in support of that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

PLEASE DO NOT TAKE IT PERSONALLY. I am trying to be positive and as an Ex-MOD I do have experience from both sides of the coin. No MODS have ADMIN Tools, you can delete, edit make stickies etc. but you cannot do anything that McDogs/Kat can do or, as I suggested JON could do as he was given ADMIN access.

How many times this past season has an ordinary member had to start the Matchday Sticky for example - in the old days it was always done by a MOD or stuck very quickly by a MOD if an ordinary member started it. It is just discipline between you MODS and hence I suggested that MUSS might be a good choice as he is always on here 24/7 (sad git). :wink:

With Kat being an absent owner, it is down to Lee (McDogs) to shoulder all of the work. He won't shirk it, but the guy has to make a living also and he ain't making a buck on here. I just thought that having a fully Computer Literate Volunteer might speed up some of the questions that do sit for a while in questions to the MODS/Admin. In the old days, when The Wolf went down, I would SMS or email McDogs to ask if there was a problem - I don't do it now, but what if McDogs isn't available is Kat going to reply to a PM - I doubt it hence, my suggestion.

Let's be honest, you haven't hardly any fires to put out these days, not much in the way of Internet Warriors etc. so there should be time for keeping house in other ways. I fully appreciate that we/you all have private lives, but you are still here why - cos it is a mainly friendly place with like minded folk chewing the cud.

To address your 'mobile device' comment - not for me to say really as you are from a different generation from myself albeit, I do now have a smart phone and I do use my Wife's iPad, but I just find them so small and fiddly that there is noway that I would risk editing a thread with my 10 Walls Pork Sausage Fingers.

I should also add to my previous post that perhaps EMBERS might also be a good shout for a MOD - he works with computers as I understand it and spends most of his working day on here anyway. :wink:

Over and OUT. :wink:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:03 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

? How do you interpret my post as me 'taking it personally'? I replied to your comment, isn't that how forums work? Am going to be a stressy hormonal woman now because I've replied again? 'Calm down, young Cally'.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

Cally wrote:
? How do you interpret my post as me 'taking it personally'? I replied to your comment, isn't that how forums work? Am going to be a stressy hormonal woman now because I've replied again? 'Calm down, young Cally'.

You won't get that from me - it is just debate, I interpreted your post as you taking it SLIGHTLY personally and I replied on my interpretation. Period. (that wasn't sexist that last remark was it. :wink: )

I think you were and still are the YOUNGEST PERSON to have been made a MOD on here. Respect.

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:03 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

How much does this 'privileged' position of Mod pay nowadays then :roll:

The thread seems to have descended into the value of the Mods or the benefits of having new Mods.

Sack us all off and poll the site for replacements is my opinion, as the contributors to this thread seem to be alluding to as well.

Good posters dont necessarily make good Mods if in fact a "Good Mod" can be quantified. The higher up the leagues we get, the more folk post, the more folk post , the more the need to read and review, the more the need to read and review the more need there is to Mod, the more you Mod the higher your profile, the higher your profile the more shit you get, the more shit you get, the more you have to Mod.

Moli and Brownhills, Willenhall Wolf were all good posters but made poor Mods because they lacked the will or inclination for confrontation or challenge.
Conversely, the more you confront or challenge the more "You are a c.nt"

I have had a bellyfull of shit on here over the past ten years both open and closed including death threats and boastful shite about kicking my head in, and for what?, for fuck all is what.

The current Mods and previous Mods including Mossie have made this place what it is, and what it is is a pleasing and gregarious diversion that has caused me grief,yet allowed me a cathartic way of venting my big fuck off spleen without gassing some fucker or getting sacked.

It is an internet chat room, nothing more nothing less, It is run by volunteers, not egotistical self serving bellends, but by people of a shared experience.

Lee, all the Mods I know of have been, or were chosen personally by you and Miss Green wherever she is now :wink: , perhaps that needs to change to allow the board to pick the folk that they wish to give a round of fucks to when tham feeling rough, innit.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:14 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I ony sed yow shud post a bit mower! :P

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:21 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I do think that opening the site up for visitors to view again would have a positive impact as the current closed site makes it difficult for potential newcomers to assess whether it is worthwhile joining.

I agree that there are too many different forums and they need to be consolidated and culled a bit. The technology world has changed a bit since this site started and I think it is hard to compete with the likes of facebook and twitter in some aspects so the site does need to offer a niche for Wolves fans.

I've always liked a bit of spicy debate on here so I'm not sure that the loss of some "controversial" people has been a good thing. I would like to think that the mods could accommodate this with the important bit being to know when and where to draw the line when things spill over and become personal. I do love a good piss take though.

LA Wolf - I'm a former pain in the arse who hung around. In fact I was quite proud of it at the time although I would probably approach things differently now. Having said that I agree that although it is meant to be light hearted it can upset people and I've never actually voted in that section.

It does seem that only Cally and Rozza seem to be particularly active mods at the moment and their membership probably does need review. I would definitely vote for Muss if he is interested and it looks like FrankMunro has some experience so he may be worth considering too.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:44 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Ironfistedmonk wrote:

I know I know, I was overcome with emotion after having four winning hosses on a Lucky 15 today :lol:

If they get rid of me as a mod and give yow the job I can give yow a round of fucks like a naughty kid again, hussahh!!!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:39 pm 
Manager
Manager

The problem for me is with the rise in popularity of twitter and Facebook groups.

I used to use this forum every day but rarely use it now as I get the news I want in a few seconds from twitter and Facebook newsfeed.

I used to love the banter but more recently every thread turns in to and argument and a player bashing, more recently Leon Clarke/Ohara but in years gone by, Stearman, Edwards, Johnson, Naylor. Never relevant to the original thread, whether tighter moderation required ie each thread is monitored for keeping on topic?

Agree with the others the homepage needs decluttering, less forums or the option to only view ones that you subscribe to?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:52 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I agree that Facebook and Twitter are threats which is why this site needs to become a bit of a community of mutual interest. I think it would be an impossible task for mods to keep threads on topic and I don't personally think it is desirable. Threads tend to be organic with a life of their own and they go where the posters take them. Many would die if responses had to be within strict "topic" criteria which would be difficult to define anyway.

Your sincerely

Mr D. Railer

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:57 pm 
Most Successful Thrush Thrasher

Rozza wrote:

Sack us all off and poll the site for replacements is my opinion, as the contributors to this thread seem to be alluding to as well.

:lol: .... You this tetchy if you're dropped from the darts and dominoes...? :wink:

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:19 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Rozza wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:

I know I know, I was overcome with emotion after having four winning hosses on a Lucky 15 today :lol:

If they get rid of me as a mod and give yow the job I can give yow a round of fucks like a naughty kid again, hussahh!!!

I would ban all the happy clappers, there's a fust :wink:

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:26 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

nuttymate wrote:
Rozza wrote:

:lol: .... You this tetchy if you're dropped from the darts and dominoes...? :wink:

I ay bin dropped yet ya cheeky mare, in fact I was mekkin the cheese and black puddin an Spanish Onion buffet when I found out about this thread.

Hey up, if I do get dropped, will I lose that air of mystery and aphrodisiac allure that bosses have to flighty wenches like yow nutty?

FFS, If I cor impress a bird like nutty anymore, or command a pre match drink request from the new and proven on here, then Lee, you can break my moderating sword over your knee and fuck me off barracks in disgrace mate.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:28 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
Rozza wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:

I would ban all the happy clappers, there's a fust :wink:

There woe be a ying for a yang then chap and the fabric of the universe will just collapse.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:23 am 
Manager
Manager

Few thoughts.

Quote.

I was honestly going to close the place down but it's been around over ten years now and I think it deserves better than that.

Probably a good time to look at the ownership, maybe ownership should be spread between four or five active members.

Moderators, I feel they should be elected on a yearly basis, with mods pretty much obliged to be active at least 3 or 4 days a week.

Open the forum up to try and stimulate new fresh interest.
The forums quality and standards have nose dived through maybe the last three or four years.
Not really surprising when you consider between a dozen to twenty very good posters have left for one reason or another.

I think if you improve the content, numbers and quality your onto a winner, it seems this forum has just staggered on regardless.
Needs fresh ideas, fresh people and an ability to reach out to a wider range of football supporter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » FORUM MANAGEMENT » Announcements