Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next

Share On:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:55 am 
Manager
Manager

SpaceMonkey wrote:
Wales 4 games against Serbia and Ireland gave them 3 points. By all accounts they played much better than that and just couldn't turn their decent performances into points. That's where qualification was lost for them. Scotland is a bit different. They were seriously rubbish for most of their campaign and while it came good at the end, way too late.

Coleman is probably safe, unless he chooses to walk away, but Strachan is surely gone.

The concern I would have for these countries is that they have been beaten to play off places by lesser teams.
Sorry lesser quality of players.

Never be surprised when Conservatives put Profit before People.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:24 am 
Manager
Manager

You can probably add Bruce Arena to this list in advance, what a bottlejob.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:55 pm 
First XI
First XI

shropswolf wrote:

More embarrassing than missing out on 9 straight World Cups b/w 1950&1990. CONCACAF is basically set up so that it's almost impossible for US & Mexico to the World Cup. Only 12 points from the last 24 with matches against Trinidad & Tobago (x2), Panama (x2), Honduras (x2), @ Mexico and Costa Rica at home.

Then Arena and USSF President Gulati had the gall to say that changes aren't really needed. We've missed out on two straight Olympics, now a WC. Time for major changes

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

The next new manager to be appointed..Scholes?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:15 am 
Manager
Manager

MichiganWolf wrote:
shropswolf wrote:

More embarrassing than missing out on 9 straight World Cups b/w 1950&1990. CONCACAF is basically set up so that it's almost impossible for US & Mexico to the World Cup. Only 12 points from the last 24 with matches against Trinidad & Tobago (x2), Panama (x2), Honduras (x2), @ Mexico and Costa Rica at home.

Then Arena and USSF President Gulati had the gall to say that changes aren't really needed. We've missed out on two straight Olympics, now a WC. Time for major changes

I bet the TV company that paid big bucks to the rights is absolutely seething. It surely can't be like in Europe, where they will still get big ratings even if the respective host nation is absent.

I'd say that a US World Cup in 2026 just got even more inevitable. FIFA can't allow such a huge market to lose interest in the game and if they can't qualify through playing games, well, let them qualify automatically...

Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

I wonder if in the long term, the US would do better if they joined the South American qualifying / Copa America rather than regularly playing Island nations. Like how Australia joined the Asian federation.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:07 pm 
Manager
Manager

SpaceMonkey wrote:
I wonder if in the long term, the US would do better if they joined the South American qualifying / Copa America rather than regularly playing Island nations. Like how Australia joined the Asian federation.

I don't think they'd be likely to be among the top 4 in that company tbh.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:10 pm 
First XI
First XI

shropswolf wrote:
MichiganWolf wrote:
shropswolf wrote:

I bet the TV company that paid big bucks to the rights is absolutely seething. It surely can't be like in Europe, where they will still get big ratings even if the respective host nation is absent.

I'd say that a US World Cup in 2026 just got even more inevitable. FIFA can't allow such a huge market to lose interest in the game and if they can't qualify through playing games, well, let them qualify automatically...

I think the effect on the TV will be overblown. Yes, it won't be as monstrous as it would have been with the US. But the casual sports audience in the US loves a big event. They'll tune in when the big nations are playing. Maybe not get quite as caught up in the other games like when the US in it the tournament.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:17 pm 
First XI
First XI

SpaceMonkey wrote:

Only if it increased the amount of spots available. I think it'd make us better as we'd be facing stronger competition on a regular basis as Paraguay, Ecuador & Peru etc > Honduras, Panama, T&T etc, but we'd also have to be alright with missing the WC more often. Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Colombia are pretty much guaranteed the top 4 every cycle. And I couldn't see the US moving without Mexico.

I'd rather stay in CONCACAF because we are guaranteed a spot unless we completely fook it up like we did this cycle. But we've had several cycles where we only got 17 points from 30 in the "Hex" and still automatically qualified. Heck, 13 would have done it for us this cycle. It's why I found Arena's comments about wanting to see some of the UEFA nations try going to some of Central American and Caribbean nations funny. Yes, England/Germany/Spain etc. would lose every now and then when they had to travel to Panama and the like for a match. But they'd also get 15+ points every Hex w/o a problem IMO.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:25 pm 
First XI
First XI

For the US, I think Tab Ramos will be the new manager. Current manager of our U20s, he was a very good player for us in the 90s. We were giving Brazil a game in the 94 World Cup until he got his face caved in by a Brazilian player. It's hard to try and hire a national team manager with the goal 5 years down the road. That's a long stint for any manager. I think Ramos is a good short term hire who will get the next generation blooded and ready to go (we don't have a competitive match for another 600 or so days). And if they don't think he can handle the qualifying cycle, they can find someone else.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

Shakey...?

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:19 pm 
Manager
Manager

CANNOCK WOLF wrote:
Shakey...?

Leicester sack Shakespeare, confirmed.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:05 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Bilic or Koeman? place your bets

Wonder who will be the first club to come knocking for Nuno?

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:50 am 
Manager
Manager

I can see Sheffield Wednesday losing today and Carlos Carvalhal losing his job soon afterwards.

Massive wages at that club with several on 40k plus, added to a spend of over 40 million since 2015,
Their owners will be starting to panic.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:58 am 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:

He has ''SACK'' written all over his face last night as they went 0-3 and the fans started leaving in droves exposing all of those nice white seats. I had the sound down so I guess the cameras were focussing in one of the Golds who didn't look too happy either.

I've never been a great lover of the Hammers for some reason or other so don't really wish them well. However, IF he goes this weekend or next week, who could replace him?

I feel confident that Nuno will stay with us this season, but who knows what the future holds and taking on a club early to mid-season allows little to no time for transition into your own style of play or getting your own players in.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:04 am 
Manager
Manager

Cant see Nuno leaving for a very long time.

He has everything he wishes to progress himself as a head coach where he is now.

If through hard work it all falls into position there will be very few more rewarding options for him.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:42 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:

He has ''SACK'' written all over his face last night as they went 0-3 and the fans started leaving in droves exposing all of those nice white seats. I had the sound down so I guess the cameras were focussing in one of the Golds who didn't look too happy either.

I've never been a great lover of the Hammers for some reason or other so don't really wish them well. However, IF he goes this weekend or next week, who could replace him?

I feel confident that Nuno will stay with us this season, but who knows what the future holds and taking on a club early to mid-season allows little to no time for transition into your own style of play or getting your own players in.

I think he is a gonner, Allardyce and Pardew are the obvious out of work candidates (unless Allardyce isn't allowed to manage after walking out on his contract?), Bilic always seems on the verge of being sacked,

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:26 am 
Manager
Manager

West Ham even under Bilic have enough to survive and maybe they should just let his contract run down which ends next summer.

Giving the owners really good time to evaluate their own ambition and how they perceive the club moving forward.

Could be better options for them managerially next summer. Best to work out what they want first.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

Any Bets as to how long Mick has got at Ipswich? 24k for their televised game against their enemy Norwich today and their fans are not happy with Mick albeit, he does do things on a very limited budget.

I only saw the final 10 minutes and close-ups of an under pressure Mick and a Clueless Connor.

If he gets the boot, where do they go after this?

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:44 am 
First XI
First XI

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Any Bets as to how long Mick has got at Ipswich? 24k for their televised game against their enemy Norwich today and their fans are not happy with Mick albeit, he does do things on a very limited budget.

I only saw the final 10 minutes and close-ups of an under pressure Mick and a Clueless Connor.

If he gets the boot, where do they go after this?

Ipswich are 4 points out of 6th place with a match in hand.....I think he’s there unless things go really bad.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

Koeman has gone. Will Everton come down our way?

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:25 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2016/17
Prediction League Winner 2016/17

SELWolf wrote:

Moyes to return and save the day?

Unlikely. :lol:

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Forever in my Heart, Mum. 26/06/58 ~ 16/03/12.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:18 pm 
Manager
Manager

wolvesforever_1979 wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

It's said that you should never go back.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:13 am 
Manager
Manager

wolvesforever_1979 wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

Kenwright will know better than anyone just how good Moyes is, but how much influence does he have at this time?

I would offer Moyes a short term contract taking him till the end of the season, with a review in the summer.

Do well and here's a three year deal do less than well and its thanks Dave, cheerio.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:04 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Jurgen Klopp has resigned from Liverpool!!!

He has had enough and has reported to be moving back to Germany, he has said " The Klopps go back this weekend folks"

Dean Saunders is interested!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:21 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Rozza wrote:

He has had enough and has reported to be moving back to Germany, he has said " The Klopps go back this weekend folks"

:lol: Thank you for the timely reminder Rozza.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:50 am 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:

Time to go back into the workforce, Rozza, retirement aye doin' ya any good.. 8)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:50 am 
Manager
Manager

Lee Clark sacked at Bury.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:31 pm 
First XI
First XI

gladbachwolf wrote:
Lee Clark sacked at Bury.

Not a surprise. Wheels started coming off late last season as Bury barely survived. Won 4 of his first 6 (13 points from 18) when he took over, and then only one win in his last 8 (6 points from 24) to end the season. Then obviously a bad start this year.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

Clark couldn't run a bath

Surely Sunderland will have to make a change, despite sending nothing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat