Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat

Share On:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:44 am 
Manager
Manager

Two can play that game, Spain and Germany have sides who have moved the game forward.

But for those youth team coaches, or semi pro, sunday league coaches, don't try this at home.

Play your traditional way, leave the high pressing to the experts, you would kill your players with a massive work load.

Pressing and its complexities.

http://spielverlagerung.com/2013/03/08/ ... ng-201213/

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:20 am 
Manager
Manager

After last nights game Robben spoke of Man City not having defensive organisation. I think he was speaking about Nasri, Navas, Dzeko and Aguero.

Bayern gave Man City the utmost respect not playing any player forward of the ball who couldn't work both ways for his team.

They use the pitch as they move around it, not isolating players who stand in pre set positions.

Show them the same respect, don't think you can beat them with 8, 9 or 10 players and carry a statue.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:52 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

Or just score 1 more than they do :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

In my lifetime only a few things have changed football.

Holland mid seventy's began all revolutions.

Mid eightys three talented dutch players went to Milan and Sachi mixed that with Italian organisation and created the best side I have ever seen.

Crjuff who was the key player in Hollands total football became manager at Barca and created the dream team and Barca gave birth to a football philosophy.

The Germans a decade ago decided to alter slighty how they played in all levels and now we see the emergence of that style that equals the tika taka of Spain

For me the three most important changes in football, Sachi though created the modt complete side I have ever seen.

....................... Muslera

....... Puyol (c) .... Pique ...... Chielini

....................... Busquets

Alves ..... Xavi ............ Iniesta .... Criscitio

.............................. Messi
............. Michu

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:53 am 
Manager
Manager

Attachment:
list..jpeg
list..jpeg [ 54.44 KiB | Viewed 9459 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:36 am 
Manager
Manager

Ribery for me

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:30 am 
Manager
Manager

Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi should have been listed for best coach. Ribery did it all season, has to get the players vote.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:23 am 
Manager
Manager

toomb wrote:
Ribery for me

Or Robben for me.

"Oooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! UNBELIEVABLE!" - Gary Neville 2012

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi should have been listed for best coach. Ribery did it all season, has to get the players vote.

I've no idea why Simeone hasn't been considered, yet Del Bosque and Scolari are both on the shortlist :?

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:22 pm 
Manager
Manager

Jurgonn Klopp for me last season and Zlatan

....................... Muslera

....... Puyol (c) .... Pique ...... Chielini

....................... Busquets

Alves ..... Xavi ............ Iniesta .... Criscitio

.............................. Messi
............. Michu

Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:01 am 
Manager
Manager

At Mainz 05 the youth and first team setup is very closely linked and clearly structured. When we established
the first team a year ago, we decided on a maximum of 21 or 22 players in the squad. There are 18 ‘seasoned’ professionals
and three or four places are kept free for the most promising young players. A rotation of players occupying these places
can take place every year or every other year. In the 2010-11 season they are occupied by Petar Sliskovic, Eugen Gopko and Jan Kirchhoff. On account of his development Kirchhoff will be placed with the 18 regulars in the 2011-12 season, and another such place will be given, for example, to Yunus Malli, who joined us from Mönchengladbach.
In keeping the squad small, we want to ensure that we give every professional the necessary appreciation. But, above all,
our academy must be able to fulfil its own mission. It’s not about being given a certificate with three stars, it’s about educating the players for our own first team. In any case, it is an important signal to young players: we have three or four guaranteed places in the first team squad, so snap them up!
From an outsider’s point of view the decision to limit the number of places in the squad to 21 may seem brave. But among
the coaching team we have always found that, every weekend, only 18 players come into contention for the team sheet, and barely ever more than that. That’s why we remain consistent and have set a crop of 18 players we want to have in the first team squad. The club saves on costs and youngsters get the best possible starting point from which to launch their careers.
In my view, it’s important that every player knows and feels he has a real chance of playing. That goes for the young players in particular.
After having worked at the academy for a year myself, and knowing that the mutual bond of trust between myself and the
two academy directors Volker Kersting and Stephan Hoffmann is extremely strong, I of course know every procedure inside out and know how much support is required from the professional side of the club. Close, regular and trusting contact is an essential mark of quality for an effective collaboration of the youth and professional
areas. At Mainz this isn’t just done on paper, it’s a firm belief lived and proudly promoted by the club’s directors. Cooperation
between the senior squad and the academy isn’t left to chance or people’s good intentions – there are clear standards of communication, with regular meetings taking place between the coaches and responsible administrators on both sides
An important instrument of this close co-operation is the ‘elite’ training, which my assistant coach and I conduct once a month for the best players from the U15s to the U18s. The U19 age group constantly has the opportunity of practicing with the U23s or even the senior squad. This ‘elite’ training means a lot to the younger players by way of being recognized, they see their participation as a reward. We coach these players, giving them specific tips and suggestions,
thus enabling them to lose their inhibitions about working with the first team coaches. It’s the best way for us to get to know
talented youngsters by name. There are roughly around 16 to 20 players and participation is rotated every month by the academy directors, although approximately 80% of the group stays the same. We first team coaches also make a point of watching the home games of the U19 and U17 teams as often as possible.
Since the era of Wolfgang Frank und Jürgen Klopp Mainz lives a certain football ethos, which is an immense help in our work. It allows us to make the most of our opportunities.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

Good piece on counter pressing, you will need to translate.

http://spielverlagerung.de/2013/01/04/u ... npressing/

Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:53 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Bloody hell. I don't understand the stuff you copy and paste in English let alone this.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:46 am 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
Bloody hell. I don't understand the stuff you copy and paste in English let alone this.

Sorry about that old chap but it really is a good piece which required the diagrams, especially for those who love to sink their teeth into the more complex side of the game.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:00 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Left back wrote:

Sorry about that old chap but it really is a good piece which required the diagrams, especially for those who love to sink their teeth into the more complex side of the game.

I always think it's meant to be a simple game.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:45 am 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
Left back wrote:

I always think it's meant to be a simple game.

Its whatever you wish it to be.

You know I can enjoy Cricket more because I know less about the technicalities so i can sit back and not get frustrated.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:20 am 
Manager
Manager

Down to earth Germans travel to training on the tube.
Attachment:
Joachim Low and team.jpeg
Joachim Low and team.jpeg [ 39.03 KiB | Viewed 9400 times ]

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:03 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:

You know I can enjoy Cricket more because I know less about the technicalities so i can sit back and not get frustrated.

I love cricket. I know as much about that as football.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I love cricket. I know as much about that as football.

the beautiful game

i'll be in zombie mode tomorrow - gonna tune in from midnight and have no plans to move from the couch

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:32 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Enjoy Kammie. I'd love to do it but I wouldn't cope with work tomorrow if I did.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

How about the Italians?

Qualche mese fa, in una notte d’inverno, non riuscivo a dormire. Il mio pensiero si dibatteva tra Italia ed Inghilterra, riflettendo sul calcio delle due nazioni. In preda alle divagazioni della mia mente, presi carta e penna e buttai giù i miei pensieri, di getto. Ciò che segue è il frutto della mia notte insonne. Mai visto gli inglesi togliere il piede dall’acceleratore. Vanno sempre a tavoletta. Il ritmo è elevatissimo, non ci sono pause. L’arbitro fischia pochisssimo, i calciatori adorano lo scontro fisico, lo accettano e non richiedono l’assistenza del fisioterapista- massaggiatore, se non in casi gravi.

In English.

A few months ago, on a winter's night, I couldn't sleep. My thought struggled between Italy and England, reflecting on football of the two Nations. Prey to the ramblings of my mind, picked up pen and paper and I threw down my thoughts, casting. What follows is the result of my sleepless night. Ever seen the English remove the foot from the accelerator. Should always be a tablet. The pace is high, there are no pauses. The referee whistle pochisssimo, players love the physical fight, accept it and do not require the assistance of a physiotherapist-masseur, except in severe cases.

Tell you what over 50% of English coaches will read the whole piece.

The Briton is confident, almost arrogant, and if he finds a glimmer of light he hits it. If not, he stubbornly continues in attack to satisfy the necessity to relish the taste of victory. He doesn't fear his opponent on principle and this makes him dangerous but also vulnerable.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

Italians view on football, MOTD Italian style.

http://footyjokes.lockerdome.com/media/110607432

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:16 am 
Manager
Manager

"I'm spinning plates," Huw Jennings says. "I don't trust people who say they aren't busy." We are sitting in his office at Fulham's training ground in Motspur Park and he is talking about his typical day; it does not quite last 12 hours but it is close.

Jennings, Fulham's academy director, is not complaining, though. Far from it. Not many people look out of their office window and see a football pitch. There are worse places to be. Laughter can be heard in the room next door. "Probably something I should suppress," he jokes. This does seem like a happy, welcoming place to work – and an increasingly successful one too.

While Fulham are in danger of relegation from the Premier League, at least their youth system gives cause for optimism. Fulham are top of the Under-21 Premier League, three points ahead of Chelsea, and their under-18s have won three successive titles, explaining why many supporters have been calling for their youngsters to be integrated into an ageing first team.

That never seemed possible when Martin Jol was in charge but there has been a shift since René Meulensteen took over in December and Sunday's 2-2 draw at Manchester United featured an excellent performance by Dan Burn, a 21-year-old defender. Muamer Tankovic, an 18-year-old Swedish forward, also impressed on his first league start.

Fulham do not have a great record of producing players but that is starting to change. Jennings was formerly Southampton's academy director and helped establish one of the finest production lines in the country, finding Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott and Adam Lallana. Jennings has been joined at Fulham by two of his colleagues from those days, Malcolm Elias and Steve Wigley, and Southampton's current success can be partially attributed to them all.

Jennings, who spent 12 years as a teacher in a comprehensive school, left Southampton in 2006 because he was unsure about their long-term future and joined the Premier League, before being tempted to Fulham by Alistair Mackintosh, the club's chief executive. Mackintosh had been praised for his emphasis on youth when he was at Manchester City.

"At Man City, with very little resources because they slumped through the divisions, they re-emerged on the back of a really vibrant youth policy," Jennings says. "He [Alistair] made it clear to me that at Fulham he'd like to give youth an opportunity because perhaps in the past that's not been the case. The excitement for me was to go into a club where there hadn't been a DNA for youth and hoping to create one.

"One of the best things is I inherited a terrific group of staff who just needed to be liberated by a vision. I found a little bit that the academy was viewed as the thing that we had to have and it better be quiet and stay in the corner, otherwise if it caused any mischief we might not have to have it.

"Now maybe that's being a bit harsh on the way the club was set up but that was the feeling amongst some of the staff, so what I tried to do was set about trying to develop our infrastructure and programme, and be a place where young players would want to come. Hopefully we're on that road."

So what's the secret? "You've got to have quality recruitment," Jennings says. "There's a saying: it's not just about the players you recruit that matter, it's also about the players you don't."

He accepts that young players may be dazzled by the glamour of Chelsea but Fulham are quietly excited about their youngsters. Moussa Dembélé, the French forward who was signed from Paris Saint-Germain, and Patrick Roberts, a tricky English winger, who are both 17, have caught the eye. Jennings is reluctant to place unnecessary pressure on these kids. Instead he mentions "pathways" a lot and stresses the importance of being patient and dealing with disappointment. Special players like Walcott whizz straight into the first team and others need time. Jennings cites the case of Burn, who was excellent at United.

"You can't force it," he says. "There's got to be the right stepping stones. If we take Dan Burn, who's played two games for the first team, his stepping stone started at Darlington, where we identified his potential. We then developed him in our way, then he plays for Yeovil in League One. Then he goes to Birmingham, a club that's a bit bigger. Now he's back at Fulham for a few games. It's fascinating to see the way he's progressed. At club level people want players in a team before they're ready for it.

"If I reflect back on the period with Kerim Frei, he got into the team a bit early as a 17-year-old and instantly the crowd took to him because he's a dribbler and he's exciting to watch. But things didn't go as well for Kerim as people hoped and, reflecting back, we forced him into the team a bit too early. As a result he missed out on some of those steps."

Jennings does not yearn for the days when youngsters cleaned the senior pros' boots. "We've got to take the best principles and use them in a modern context," he says. "On the subject of cleaning boots, I actually think an affinity with senior players helps. We invite players to come in and do Q&As with the young players. It's good education both ways actually, the senior players quite enjoy it. We have a lot of mentoring between the senior players and the youngsters. It's informal but it helps in a way that actually is about learning about football. Develop a link and an appreciation between the players. It's about football, not whether the studs look shiny."

Jennings praises Meulensteen for the way he has integrated youngsters into his training sessions. While doubts remain about Meulensteen's managerial credentials, given that Fulham have dropped to the bottom of the Premier League under him, the Dutchman has an excellent record of working with young players and has not been afraid to use them.

There have been regular games between the first team and the youth team in training. The youngsters have won a few but Jennings is more interested in how they play. "What's it like in a practice match against Brede Hangeland?" he says. "You have to demonstrate that you're not thinking it's Brede Hangeland."

Equally, Jennings recognises that a winning mentality is crucial and believes that England must learn how to handle tournament play. "We've just taken our under-18s to an indoor tournament in Germany for the fifth year in a row," he says. "It's five v five, 30 minutes a game, you're right in the industrial heartland of Germany playing against teams like Schalke, Borussia Mönchengladbach, Dortmund, Hertha Berlin, Hamburg.

"What you notice about the Germans is they know how to win at that age. Now we finished fourth out of 28 teams and we don't play indoor football on a regular basis. But you work it out and what it's done for our youngsters is it's opened their eyes on how to get the competitive nature right because we beat Mönchengladbach on penalties in the quarter-final. You certainly realise in that situation how you give young players the preparation they may need for later. England national teams need to know how to play at tournament level.

"You can't succeed at this level if you're not a winner. Losing sometimes is good. You learn a lot but if you haven't got a winning mentality, you don't come here. I take that from a very young age. Results don't matter – a winning mentality does." Perhaps Fulham will find one with Jennings around.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

This should bring back memories, a superb performance from KK.

Attachments:
kk.jpg
kk.jpg [ 40.93 KiB | Viewed 9368 times ]

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ckets.html

By contrast, Bayern are paying £24.80 towards the cost of their supporters’ £60 tickets for the match.

Some Clubs boards represent the fans, other clubs boards just screw the fans.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:11 pm 
Manager
Manager

One to one work, working with the individual rather than in groups.

This is something where i have the most arguments when discussing the game with English coaches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB422EtbpaU

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:22 pm 
First XI
First XI

Schalke to get busted open tonight, can't see Real scoring fewer than 3 goals.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:35 pm 
Manager
Manager

Seyi Olofinjana wrote:

Have a close look at Roman Neustädter see if you think he could make the step up to a larger club such as Man Utd.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:37 pm 
First XI
First XI

I've seen a fair amount of Schalke this year, admittedly before the winter break so I've not seen their resurgence. I think they've got a good squad but just look really disjointed. Aogo, Draxler, Neustatder, Huntelaar, KPB are all good players but they're such a sloppy team because all those players are so direct. It's maybe a little symptomatic of the Dortmund effect on German football at the moment.

Having said that they're still close to averaging 2 points per game which is impressive. They have Anthony Annan who was great at the last World Cup and could be the kind of player to bring the midfield together but he's just coming back from a year out so I doubt will show his best this season.

I heard a stat that Real have only ever won once in Germany but I think they do direct football much much more effectively than Schalke and I think Ancelotti knows he can put the game to bed in the first leg.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:12 am 
Manager
Manager

Seyi Olofinjana wrote:

Bit of an understatement.

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat