Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Share On:

Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:53 am 
First XI
First XI

Madrid have the best team and manager around at the moment, in my opinion. I think they'll win both La Liga and the Champions League if all things are equal because I'm not sure about their backup.

The quality of the Bundesliga is low at the moment though, so this result can't be read into too mucb.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

Seyi Olofinjana wrote:
Madrid have the best team and manager around at the moment, in my opinion. I think they'll win both La Liga and the Champions League if all things are equal because I'm not sure about their backup.

The quality of the Bundesliga is low at the moment though, so this result can't be read into too mucb.

Thats one you smacked right out of the ball park, Real Madrid champions league winners this year, possible but i couldn't bet on it.

If team culture is weak losing divides the team. If team culture is strong, losing creates the hunger to win again. Either way culture rules.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:32 pm 
First XI
First XI

Any opinions on the Europa League?

I was quite surprised that Lazio got beat by Ludgorets at home. With Ludgorets at home this time I was surprised Lazio were made favourites. Ajax losing at home to Salzburg surprised me too but I think they're better away from home.

I hope Swansea get through and I think Spurs will get through fine.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:36 pm 
First XI
First XI

knocker knowles wrote:
Seyi Olofinjana wrote:

Thats one you smacked right out of the ball park, Real Madrid champions league winners this year, possible but i couldn't bet on it.

My rankings of first teams would be 1) Real 2) Bayern 3) PSG 4) Barca 5) Dortmund 6) Atletico 7) Chelsea

Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:52 pm 
Manager
Manager

Seyi Olofinjana wrote:
Any opinions on the Europa League?

I was quite surprised that Lazio got beat by Ludgorets at home. With Ludgorets at home this time I was surprised Lazio were made favourites. Ajax losing at home to Salzburg surprised me too but I think they're better away from home.

I hope Swansea get through and I think Spurs will get through fine.

Europa league.
Not been concentrating on all matches just the odd one in each round, so not sure which clubs are fielding near full strength sides.
This season i hope for an Italian vs England final, Napoli or Juventus vs Spurs. next season it has to be Man Utd.

If team culture is weak losing divides the team. If team culture is strong, losing creates the hunger to win again. Either way culture rules.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:50 am 
Manager
Manager

One to watch -- Christoph Moritz at Mainz who I thought might nick a draw against Bayern yesterday, it wasn't to be.

The Mainz holding midfielder would be a solid signing for clubs such as Everton who just need a little tinkering with their balance.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:49 am 
Manager
Manager

Good player, one to watch this summer, not German.

https://vine.co/v/MMIrOtWD3II

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:56 am 
Manager
Manager

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/icmyi-crazy-image-leverkusen-v-freiburg-last-season/?CMP=spklr-_-S9DreamTeam-_-TWITTER-_-dreamteamfc-_-20150909-_-DreamTeamSocial-_-233598665

Three or four? | Pub team selection explained | Puns | Keep Calm | More

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:33 am 
Manager
Manager

Nibbs Minton wrote:

The game has changed, now if you have someone rapid out wide you can switch the play and turn your opponents.
Superiority in positioning is necessary to be able to penetrate the opponent’s defensive lines, move the ball efficiently, and to have stability in possession. One form of superiority is numerical superiority. Having a numbers advantage means that your team has a free man. The goal is to find the free or unmarked man by moving the ball, positioning, or player movement. The free man in your attack has the best situation on the field and is very valuable to the attack. This is exemplified in this quote by Juan Manuel Lillo:

“Look for the 3rd man (free man) to be able to turn and face the play.”

– Juan Manuel Lill

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:23 am 
Manager
Manager

I was laughing at Mark Lawrenson and Martin Keown on Match of the day last night they hadn't got a clue how to Analize the player that is Bastian Schweinsteiger.

There's more to his movement than just thinking Joe Montana compared to the Michael Carrick Dan Marino.

Bastian Schweinsteiger looks at the forward picture, three, four or more passes ahead, his movement is not just for himself but to open up the pitch for those around him.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:06 am 
Manager
Manager

Bundesliga Table Team MP W D L G P
1 Bayern München 7 7 0 0 +20 21
2 Borussia Dortnd 7 5 2 0 +15 17
3 Schalke 04 7 5 1 1 +5 16
4 Wolfsburg 7 3 3 1 +2 12
5 Mainz 05 8 4 0 4 +1 12
6 Bayer Leverkun 7 4 0 3 -1 12
7 Hertha BSC 7 3 2 2 +0 11
8 Köln..... . 7 3 2 2 -2 11
9 Ingolstadt 7 3 2 2 -2 11
10 Darmstadt 98 8 2 4 2 -2 10
11 Hamburger SV 7 3 1 3 -2 10
12 Eintracht Ffurt 7 2 3 2 +4 9
13 Werder Bremen 7 2 1 4 -5 7
14 Bor M'gladbach 7 2 0 5 -6 6
15 Hoffenheim 7 1 2 4 -4 5
16 Augsburg 7 1 1 5 -5 4
17 Stuttgart 7 1 0 6 -8 3
18 Hannover 96 7 0 2 5 -10 2

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:37 am 
Manager
Manager

Whats the first thing that will change if Jurgen Klopp takes over at Liverpool.

Forget the quality of the individual player for a moment, whats key and he will change it is MENTALITY.

For one thing those players will have to add far more workrate without the ball.

It amazes me how football has gone full circle within the training ground.

At one time the players never saw the ball, now everything is done with the ball.

The one big progression should be team play without the ball, its an absolute must going forward.

Watch Klopp make Liverpool defend as a team, defend by sprinting as a team, it should be enjoyable.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:15 am 
Manager
Manager

Klopp says he'll watch 17 DVDs of recent LFC games over the next 48 hours..

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:18 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Klopp says he'll watch 17 DVDs of recent LFC games over the next 48 hours..

Shades of Solbakken watching our horror show DVD's of that last prem season.. :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:45 am 
Manager
Manager

Like Solbakken, the DVDs are just PR bullshit.

Solbakken almost certainly never watched those DVDs and Klopp isn't so unambitious/insular that he hasn't watched the Premier League week in week out.

No idea why Liverpool wasted 6 months with Rodgers when Klopp announced he was leaving BVB. They've handicapped their season starting so late on and with the transfer window closed with more no-mark incomings.

There's no English club he fits better to than Liverpool and never was going to be, but the squad he's inheriting is indeed weak material. There's probably only 2 players clearly of Dortmund calibre - Sturridge and Coutinho, and this time he's competing against a league full of major money. It look better than Rodgers - by a way - but I don't know if he's ready to walk on water.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:39 am 
Manager
Manager

Its an exiting signing and I doubt the fans have had this much belief in a Liverpool manager since the glory days under Shankly and Paisley.

Christ that club have hired enough frauds in recent times with the likes of Gerard Houllier taking them a merry ride.

Here's a good piece on Klopp.

Plenty in the game’s personalities live and breathe football, but if there is one man whose passion and exuberance seemingly outdoes the rest it would be Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp.

The 46-year-old first took charge of BVB in July 2008. He has guided them to two Bundeliga championships, one German cup and to the final of the 2013 UEFA Champions League. Small wonder that the loyal fans in yellow and black practically worship him, even though European club football’s most prestigious trophy ended up in Bayern Munich’s hands last season. Klopp previously spent several years at the helm of Mainz, leading them from the second division into the Bundesliga in 2004.

The affection and deep admiration shown for Klopp is not only based on trophy success but also his palpable love for football. As the ball is to the game, so are emotions and enthusiasm to Klopp. "At the present time German football has Jurgen Klopp, whose passion is an inspiration to us all,” declared Porto boss Paulo Fonseca last year.

Speaking exclusively to FIFA.com Klopp discussed his coaching philosophy, his personal career highlights and one potentially attractive future option.

FIFA.com: You were on the shortlist for FIFA World Coach of the Year with Jupp Heynckes and Alex Ferguson. What do you think of your two counterparts?
Jurgen Klopp: Both are true greats and I admire them. It feels as though Alex Ferguson was Manchester United coach for as long as I’ve been alive. I’ve come to know Jupp Heynckes over the last few years and can honestly say I’m really, really delighted he won it. It would have been absolutely fine by me if he’d bowed out with just the two trophies. but the way it turned out is totally OK.

Do you think you could learn anything from the pair?
Lots of hopeful young coaches think they can learn by watching, and that includes watching me. I always recommend they try copying as little as possible. At the end of the day it all boils down to how you deal with players, and to get that right, you have to feel it for yourself. I’m never going to tell anyone what they should or shouldn’t do. I also want to keep growing as a coach but not by just watching how others do it.
How we do so obviously matters to the people there, and I really like that. There’s basically nothing more important in Dortmund than football.
Jurgen Klopp on life in Dortmund

How would you describe yourself as a coach and what role do strong emotions play?
[Laughs] I’m a genuine team player actually. In the course of a day I do take a relatively large number of decisions, but fortunately I’ve assembled a team around me and I’m no longer forced to take all the decisions myself. Lots of expert eyes see more than just the two of mine. I don’t care much for being thought of as a hero. I like to treat my players as co-workers. Provided the team accepts this approach, it can work well. However, if any of my players was to start thinking he now had the right to debate line-ups or training drills with me he’d be making a fundamental error. What I say goes. But outside of training you can deal with me as you would with anyone else. I don’t want to come across as remote or distant towards other people and definitely not to my players. For all that. I’m not the kind of lovely bloke people looking in from the outside seem to think.

What’s been the highlight of your coaching career so far?
The most emotionally moving was the 2012 DFB Cup final [against Bayern]. I honestly didn’t care about the margin of victory. It really was because of what rested on the match. Everything was building towards this one single game. Then it all came to a head and we were playing Bayern Munich in a final with absolutely everything at stake. The Champions League final was a magnificent experience too. We proved ourselves Bayern’s equals. I don’t know how I would have felt if it had ended up going our way. And I have to admit winning promotion in 2004 with Mainz was a massive day. I’ve been lucky enough to experience a couple of sporting highlights as a coach.

Once you’ve been to the Champions League final for the first time as a coach, it must increase your desire to make it there again.
Some clubs are under pressure to make the final every year, but at other clubs everything has to come together just to get there in the first place. We’re somewhere in between. My priority for 2014 is to have my team complete the second half of the season in better physical shape. We’ve been hardly recognisable due to all our injuries. We needn’t bother talking about the [German] championship. Bayern Munich are the best team in the world at the moment, and unfortunately they play in the Bundesliga, so we’re up against them all the time. We don’t have a chance in the league any more. But why would we write off our chances in the other two competitions [German cup and Champions League] before we’ve been knocked out? We’re strong when we have everyone fit, and even when we don’t have everyone fit we still have the desire. We’ve proved that and that’s why we’re in a relatively good position. We want to make the most of it.

If you could pick one of the players who featured at the FIFA Ballon d’Or Gala and put him in your team, who would it be?
Lionel Messi. I love his game. I like the way Franck Ribery plays, and I like Cristiano Ronaldo. But when I watch Messi, I think what he does is just magnificent. It gets even better as time goes on.

Why is Jurgen Klopp so obviously the right man for Dortmund?
Actually I think the decisive factor is this: why does the club fit me so well? Why do I like working there so much? It’s an emotional thing. How we do so obviously matters to the people there, and I really like that. There’s basically nothing more important in Dortmund than football. Munich is just too nice a city to restrict yourself to football, you’re halfway to your holidays when you go there. Hamburg has the coast, Cologne has [annual street festival] Karneval, and Dortmund has football, end of. I think that’s cool, and it all fits together. That’s why I’ve been doing it for quite a while.

Where will you watch the 2014 FIFA World Cup™?
I don’t yet know but I definitely won’t be in Brazil. I can watch it on TV. And if a player really stands out I’ll be told anyway. I don’t have to be there in person. It would be better if I went to a U-21 World Cup or EURO. My face is too well-known these days for me to just turn up at a football event and hang out. If that was still possible I’d be there.

Could you imagine taking charge of a national team at some point?
Not yet, but obviously it’s basically a very attractive proposition. I’m very happy living in Germany, I think it’s a fantastic country and the people are pretty cool. If they were enthusiastic about me taking on the national team at some point I’d obviously think it over, although quite a lot of things would have to come together for that to happen. But joking aside we have a fantastic national coach and I have a terrific job with Borussia Dortmund, so everything’s fine.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:25 pm 
Manager
Manager

I think Klopp will develop the Liverpool players by making them more intelligent than they have been before, that includes the mentality bit too. Continental players are more comfortable on the ball, can switch systems at a minutes notice and are far more savvy at things British footballers are not. See how Liverpool start to develop now under Klopp, it should be exciting.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:30 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
I think Klopp will develop the Liverpool players by making them more intelligent than they have been before, that includes the mentality bit too. Continental players are more comfortable on the ball, can switch systems at a minutes notice and are far more savvy at things British footballers are not. See how Liverpool start to develop now under Klopp, it should be exciting.

I agree.

Sometimes I can be quite scathing about football managers, its generally because I look at them and think do they realise what an opportunity they have to do something far reaching.

Far to many play safe, change very little and you wonder why did the club change manager in the first place.

But I'm excited about Klopp because for once we should see an obvious difference in approach, we shall see a Klopp side.

I love managers who push the boundaries, its just fundamental to any clubs growth.

Klopp could make other Premier league sides take notice, he will ask his players to play with higher risk and ask far more from them.

Are you watching Man City right down to Newcastle, Villa and Sunderland.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:46 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/matt ... me-rodgers

I reckon Klopp will hit the same ceiling Rodgers did, Liverpool fans live in the past even more than some Wolves fans.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:06 am 
Manager
Manager

THE BIG BAD WOLF wrote:
http://www.insideworldfootball.com/matt-scott/18020-matt-scott-liverpool-lose-out-in-football-s-arms-race-don-t-blame-rodgers

I reckon Klopp will hit the same ceiling Rodgers did, Liverpool fans live in the past even more than some Wolves fans.

Possibly so.

Yet again it could be a good time to be at a club looking to break the top four dominance of the last decade.

Its likely that the big four clubs will enter periods of transition in the next couple of years with Klopp fully capable of taking advantage of that situation.

We haven't a clue who will be manager of Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd or Chelsea will be in three to five years, most probably new people in every one of those positions.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:38 am 
Manager
Manager

Periods of dominance take their turns over a decade or so, where were Man City ten years ago..? Where were Chelsea pre-2003..?? Arsenal and Man Utd have always been around the top, pre big Sky money or not and they can never be discounted. It is Klopps chance now to sort the squad and playing style out this season, get into the Europa League and then next season hit the ground running with his own squad, injuries sorted and go for the top four, minimum. I can see Liverpool in the next three seasons gradually becoming a force, something they have not been for many years. Having a charismatic German coach in the Premier league can only be good for the game as it will make others sit up and take notice and maybe change some preconceptions. Forget charlatans like Felix Magath, Klopp could be a game changer for this league.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:48 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Periods of dominance take their turns over a decade or so, where were Man City ten years ago..? Where were Chelsea pre-2003..?? Arsenal and Man Utd have always been around the top, pre big Sky money or not and they can never be discounted. It is Klopps chance now to sort the squad and playing style out this season, get into the Europa League and then next season hit the ground running with his own squad, injuries sorted and go for the top four, minimum. I can see Liverpool in the next three seasons gradually becoming a force, something they have not been for many years. Having a charismatic German coach in the Premier league can only be good for the game as it will make others sit up and take notice and maybe change some preconceptions. Forget charlatans like Felix Magath, Klopp could be a game changer for this league.

What many English folk wont get is beyond the interview fun, Klopp is a very serious studied coach with a mentality that examines the detail.

Hopefully over a period of time England takes a more studied approach to the requirements of football management.
Its something I have been pushing for decades, unfortunately the work ethics were lacking from top to bottom.
Something thats changing within the game though even some coaches who you would think are complete professionals have to be dragged from the dark ages.

If Germans get results in England that should bring about welcome change.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:27 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Don't forget Arsene Wenger is really a German.

Tough break for Klopp, losing Ings and Gomez for the season. I thought Matt Smith's comments on the importance of injuries, and the effect on early season form of losing key players in the summer, very interesting.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:57 am 
Manager
Manager

Frankfurt 1 Borussia Monchengladbach 5.

Four games four wins since Favre left...it's a funny old game....

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:27 am 
Manager
Manager

An interesting short clip of Andre Schubert, just appointed full time coach at Gladbach - replacing Lucien Favre, and he has not yet lost a league game - played 8 won 7 drawn 1. He was previously trainer of the under 21 squad. Also two creditable draws in the CL against Juventus.

http://www.snappytv.com/tc/1045279

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:54 am 
Manager
Manager

Couple of thoughts on Bayern, Robert Lewandowski and Thomas Müller between them have scored over fifty goals this season.
Thats more than Dave Edwards has passed the ball into the striker thoughout his whole career.

Here's a good one, if every shot Bayern had conceded had been a goal this season they would still be top of the league.

Imagine having that much control over the outcome of each individual game.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:42 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Couple of thoughts on Bayern, Robert Lewandowski and Thomas Müller between them have scored over fifty goals this season.
Thats more than Dave Edwards has passed the ball into the striker thoughout his whole career.

Here's a good one, if every shot Bayern had conceded had been a goal this season they would still be top of the league.

I still think they'll crumble when they play Barca in the CL though.

In the Bundesliga almost all teams they play are on damage limitation mode, sat just defending their box all game and are happy to lose only by 3. When teams really take them on and cut out the mistakes they can create plenty of dangerous chances against their defence.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:51 am 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I still think they'll crumble when they play Barca in the CL though.

In the Bundesliga almost all teams they play are on damage limitation mode, sat just defending their box all game and are happy to lose only by 3. When teams really take them on and cut out the mistakes they can create plenty of dangerous chances against their defence.

Should be interesting, If I had a free bet on Bayern or Barca my money goes on the Germans this season.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

It is Gladbach v Bayern this Saturday, should be a cracker but Gladbach's injury list grows ever larger and they have Man City away on Tuesday, where they are trying to clinch a Europa League spot ahead of Seville, who they beat 4-2 last Wednesday in a storming game. Gladbach did not concede against Bayern last season, 0-0 at home and they won 2-0 in Munich. On occasions, they have Bayerns number...think they will lose this time as Bayern hate to be outdone by a noisy underling.. :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:19 pm 
First XI
First XI

Fabian Johnson with a hat trick to win for Monchengladbach :wink:

That's what I'll be rooting for anyways, as an American.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat