THE WOLF
http://the-wolf.co.uk/

Have the Germans changed my view on Football?
http://the-wolf.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=65385
Page 4 of 5

Author:  knocker knowles [ Tue May 24, 2016 7:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

My coach of the season again comes from Germany because tactically he usually gets it right and adapts better than most.

Thomas Tuchel I think he is heading for great things in time.

Author:  gladbachwolf [ Wed May 25, 2016 7:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

I think that in two years Tuchel will be in our Premier League a la Klopp.

Author:  knocker knowles [ Wed May 25, 2016 7:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

gladbachwolf wrote:
I think that in two years Tuchel will be in our Premier League a la Klopp.



yep in two summers time I have Ronald Koeman and Tuchel joining Man Utd and Arsenal.

Author:  knocker knowles [ Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

German media reporting Borussia M'Gladbach will break the bank and go all out for Chelsea defender Andreas Christensen.

Fee is about 30 million but when he returns to the Premier league in a couple of seasons they will probably make 20 million profit.

Author:  Ironfistedmonk [ Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

knocker knowles wrote:
German media reporting Borussia M'Gladbach will break the bank and go all out for Chelsea defender Andreas Christensen.

Fee is about 30 million but when he returns to the Premier league in a couple of seasons they will probably make 20 million profit.


Gladbach were awesome last night, gave Young Boys a right good thrashing

Author:  knocker knowles [ Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

Here's a stat.

In Germany 96% of all ten year old boys play football, in England its less than 50%.

Author:  Ironfistedmonk [ Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

Watched Dortmund put 5 passed a decent Wolfsburg side last night, Dortmunds attacking play is so good, especially considering they field such a young side. I think Dembele, Pulisic and Weigl are still in their teens, they are a real swashbuckling side who will concede a few but also cause you no end of trouble, and that was without Schurrle and Reus in the squad.

Author:  shropswolf [ Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

knocker knowles wrote:
Here's a stat.

In Germany 96% of all ten year old boys play football, in England its less than 50%.


Football is only national sport in Germany. In England there's cricket and rugby to factor in too.

Author:  knocker knowles [ Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
Watched Dortmund put 5 passed a decent Wolfsburg side last night, Dortmunds attacking play is so good, especially considering they field such a young side. I think Dembele, Pulisic and Weigl are still in their teens, they are a real swashbuckling side who will concede a few but also cause you no end of trouble, and that was without Schurrle and Reus in the squad.


I have Dortmund winning the German Championship this season, much of that based around the quality of the coach.

Weigl I think is a tremendous talent destined for great things.

Author:  gladbachwolf [ Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

The Bundesliga desperately needs another team to win it other than Bayern. Dortmund are the only option at present, all other teams have no chance. Watch out for the moneybags behind Red Bull Leipzig in the next two years as they plough even more money into their club to try and make inroads into the Bundesliga hierarchy.

Author:  Ironfistedmonk [ Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

knocker knowles wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:
Watched Dortmund put 5 passed a decent Wolfsburg side last night, Dortmunds attacking play is so good, especially considering they field such a young side. I think Dembele, Pulisic and Weigl are still in their teens, they are a real swashbuckling side who will concede a few but also cause you no end of trouble, and that was without Schurrle and Reus in the squad.


I have Dortmund winning the German Championship this season, much of that based around the quality of the coach.

Weigl I think is a tremendous talent destined for great things.


Yeah Weigl looks quality, Germany has so much talent coming through at the moment

Author:  MichiganWolf [ Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

Embarrassment of riches for BVB in the midfield. Mor, Dembele, Pulisic, Passlack and Weigl all in the midfield and all 21 or younger. Matter of time before most of those players are snatched up by the giant clubs, but incredible collection of youngsters right there.

Pulisic is already the most talented American of all time and unless he gets injury trouble, should end his career as the best of all time (currently I've got Claudio Reyna, Brad Friedel, Landon Donovan, and Kasey Keller at the top of the list - in that order).

Author:  Ironfistedmonk [ Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

MichiganWolf wrote:
Embarrassment of riches for BVB in the midfield. Mor, Dembele, Pulisic, Passlack and Weigl all in the midfield and all 21 or younger. Matter of time before most of those players are snatched up by the giant clubs, but incredible collection of youngsters right there.

Pulisic is already the most talented American of all time and unless he gets injury trouble, should end his career as the best of all time (currently I've got Claudio Reyna, Brad Friedel, Landon Donovan, and Kasey Keller at the top of the list - in that order).


No Brian McBride or John Harkes? And where the hell is Marcus Hahnemann! :D

Author:  knocker knowles [ Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
MichiganWolf wrote:
Embarrassment of riches for BVB in the midfield. Mor, Dembele, Pulisic, Passlack and Weigl all in the midfield and all 21 or younger. Matter of time before most of those players are snatched up by the giant clubs, but incredible collection of youngsters right there.

Pulisic is already the most talented American of all time and unless he gets injury trouble, should end his career as the best of all time (currently I've got Claudio Reyna, Brad Friedel, Landon Donovan, and Kasey Keller at the top of the list - in that order).


No Brian McBride or John Harkes? And where the hell is Marcus Hahnemann! :D



I agree with Reyna smart intelligent player though so far Pulisic can disappoint on the big stage.

Author:  MichiganWolf [ Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
MichiganWolf wrote:
Embarrassment of riches for BVB in the midfield. Mor, Dembele, Pulisic, Passlack and Weigl all in the midfield and all 21 or younger. Matter of time before most of those players are snatched up by the giant clubs, but incredible collection of youngsters right there.

Pulisic is already the most talented American of all time and unless he gets injury trouble, should end his career as the best of all time (currently I've got Claudio Reyna, Brad Friedel, Landon Donovan, and Kasey Keller at the top of the list - in that order).


No Brian McBride or John Harkes? And where the hell is Marcus Hahnemann! :D


McBride was pretty solid for Fulham. It's just too bad he didn't come over to Europe and stay until his 30s. Harkes had a pretty good career in England for American standards, especially for his time. He lost his chance to be the greatest when he got left out of the national team for the 98 WC. And still waiting for Wolves to sign another American. Thought we might go after Danny Williams of Reading this summer. Maybe when we are promoted to the Prem, we can make a run at Pulisic.

Author:  whelp [ Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

Clint Dempsey?

International for 12 years, played in a European cup final.

Author:  knocker knowles [ Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

whelp wrote:
Clint Dempsey?

International for 12 years, played in a European cup final.


Yep I think you have the winner.

Author:  gladbachwolf [ Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

Watched the Celtic v Gladbach game on TV in the pub last night, it was delightful to see a team pass, move, combine and dominate and control possession. Sure, the two goals were gifted by Toure but Gladbach had 4 first team regulars out injured, Raffael, Hazard, Christensen and Johnson and yet they still brought in fringe squad players and played exceptionally. This style of football is so pleasing on the eye and if only British players could get some of the Continental flair and passing control to rub off on them, our national team would be far better.

Author:  knocker knowles [ Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

I thought Gladbach winning at Celtic was the banker of the night and one of the easiest bets of the season.

Impressive coaching from a young coach going places.

So slick and so good at doing the basics right. Intelligent team throughout the squad.

Author:  gladbachwolf [ Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

This is funny, a picture of an advertising board outside a Glasgow pub, they could not spell Monchengladbach.....quality stuff..!!!

http://www.stern.de/sport/fussball/boru ... 11344.html

Author:  gladbachwolf [ Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/ ... -1-4263467

http://www.faszination-fankurve.de/inde ... s_id=13978

Author:  knocker knowles [ Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

The Germans are good at picking up good habits from whatever source.

Pep Guardiola has moved German football ten years forward of whats happening in England because they have picked up on his concepts of spacing.

They now understand angles, distances and movement far better than previous generations of German footballers.

When you add that to the already known qualities of German football organisation and athletic ability your pretty awesome.

Germans are now light years in front of others at creating passing links all around the person on the ball because of thoughtful movement.

Thats just bang on coaching and understanding Peps concepts.

Author:  gladbachwolf [ Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

knocker knowles wrote:
The Germans are good at picking up good habits from whatever source.

Pep Guardiola has moved German football ten years forward of whats happening in England because they have picked up on his concepts of spacing.

They now understand angles, distances and movement far better than previous generations of German footballers.

When you add that to the already known qualities of German football organisation and athletic ability your pretty awesome.

Germans are now light years in front of others at creating passing links all around the person on the ball because of thoughtful movement.

Thats just bang on coaching and understanding Peps concepts.


In a nutshell. take note Southgate..:-)

Author:  knocker knowles [ Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

What Pep does and I think its now common within German football clubs is mark out a football field into 18 zones.

Starting from your own goalline you have three squares marked one, two and three across the pitch.
Then four, five and six.
And so on right through the pitch till you reach the other deadball line with 16, 17, and 18.

Pep spends hours working on getting players free in the 14 zone.

What happens as an example at Wolves and this is without the ball, a Klopp side supports a striker by moving higher in support and filling those 13, 14, 15 zones.

With Wolves against Leeds the two strikers had cut the pitch off well because they are both ever willing with work rate.
But Leeds could pass into those zones easily because Wolves midfield hadn't moved high enough.

There's no excuse really for not supporting the strikers once they have made the opposition turn back and made them check forward movement.

Author:  gladbachwolf [ Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

The difference between the British players and the German players is one of intelligence during the game. The British player sticks to one tried and trusted method of play that their manager decides upon as his style and method of winning a game. The German player starts off with a game strategy but is able to change style, tactics and position in order to change a game at any time and with so much comfort. German teams are chameleons, British ones are just plain lizards.

Author:  knocker knowles [ Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

gladbachwolf wrote:
The difference between the British players and the German players is one of intelligence during the game. The British player sticks to one tried and trusted method of play that their manager decides upon as his style and method of winning a game. The German player starts off with a game strategy but is able to change style, tactics and position in order to change a game at any time and with so much comfort. German teams are chameleons, British ones are just plain lizards.


Thats true.

Whats also impressive is the onfield structure which places players the correct distances from each other.
From those basic starting positions they have the angles to then move fluently off each other and the ball.

Author:  knocker knowles [ Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

Young player at Leipzig worth keeping an eye on Naby Keita.

Has me drooling this kid, marvelous talent.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/playe ... r_id=76407

Author:  shropswolf [ Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

Leipzig have spent the past few years hoovering the best young players they could get their hands on, hence Oliver Burke for 13 million.

The club is absolutely despised as it is effectively just a marketing tool for Red Bull but they have put together "ambition + money + marketing" far more impressively than I suspect Fosun are ever going to manage with us. Leipzig currently sit 2nd in the top division after a series of promotions.

Author:  knocker knowles [ Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

shropswolf wrote:
Leipzig have spent the past few years hoovering the best young players they could get their hands on, hence Oliver Burke for 13 million.

The club is absolutely despised as it is effectively just a marketing tool for Red Bull but they have put together "ambition + money + marketing" far more impressively than I suspect Fosun are ever going to manage with us. Leipzig currently sit 2nd in the top division after a series of promotions.


Good knowledge Shrops, indeed Fosun could take on board someone from Leipzig and learn from that model.

For anyone not watching German football, late monday nights channel 5, highlights give an easy introduction.

What you note very early is Germany churn out players fit for specific purpose without imagination, just functional footballers, easily programmed.
Not really highly skilled but they make all the right decisions as they play the game.
Its a mentality which will never replace the Premier league in entertainment value because it lacks colour and has various shades of gray.
Though it has improved the past decade.

Author:  shropswolf [ Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Have the Germans changed my view on Football?

knocker knowles wrote:
shropswolf wrote:
Leipzig have spent the past few years hoovering the best young players they could get their hands on, hence Oliver Burke for 13 million.

The club is absolutely despised as it is effectively just a marketing tool for Red Bull but they have put together "ambition + money + marketing" far more impressively than I suspect Fosun are ever going to manage with us. Leipzig currently sit 2nd in the top division after a series of promotions.


Good knowledge Shrops, indeed Fosun could take on board someone from Leipzig and learn from that model.

For anyone not watching German football, late monday nights channel 5, highlights give an easy introduction.

What you note very early is Germany churn out players fit for specific purpose without imagination, just functional footballers, easily programmed.
Not really highly skilled but they make all the right decisions as they play the game.
Its a mentality which will never replace the Premier league in entertainment value because it lacks colour and has various shades of gray.
Though it has improved the past decade.


The biggest problem is that Bayern dominate every season, so there's zero interest in any title race. That's not to say that Dortmund or Gladbach aren't really good teams, but they can never finish ahead of Bayern unless Bayern make a complete and utter hash of it.

In England there's always been at least two clubs of equal standing at any one time - be it Arsenal and Utd in the late 90s/early 2000s, or Chelsea and Utd in the mid 2000s, with Man City joining the contenders since. Last season you got the shock of Leicester and this year will again be very open.

You can't market a league merely upon finishing in the top 4 and a relegation battle, the destiny of the championship has to be centre stage.

Page 4 of 5 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/