Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Share On:

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:25 am 
Manager
Manager

Yes or No.

Will Mourinho take Manchester United into the Champions league next season?

I say NO.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:06 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

What about the Champioship?

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:04 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I just wonder what he is going to do with the squad. It's definitely not a mourinho team. The amount of transfer he'll need to do. 3 windows minimum.

Does this mean a loan for Rashford?

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:11 am 
Manager
Manager

Dan G WWFC wrote:
I just wonder what he is going to do with the squad. It's definitely not a mourinho team. The amount of transfer he'll need to do. 3 windows minimum.

Does this mean a loan for Rashford?

The fans wont give him time, they expect titles every season and can't accept what Ferguson delivered wont happen again.

I think he has to think long term but act short term.

He has to take the plunge in the transfer market on those star players who can make a big difference short term.
Even if Zlatan Ibrahimović is a total bellend he has to put up with it and motivate the bloke for the good of results and to keep the fans happy.

I can see Mata returning to Chelsea in a deal which sees Willian moving in the other direction.

John Stones arriving from Everton in a deal that allows Rashford the opportunity of a seasons loan at Everton.
But if you watch England play you will see there is little communication between Smalling and Stones, something thats in need of development.
Its something which will let England down this summer this lack of chat throughout the team.

In midfield he may need someone like Gianelli Imbula.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:03 am 
Manager
Manager

I thought this to be an interesting statement:-

Scottish teams are too concerned with possession football rather than attacking and should go back to basics.

"We were physical, but we had wingers and we attacked people," he added. "We passed the ball forward into positions where we could score.

"Now it's all about keeping possession, it's more important than points. The teams that were scared to come to this country before aren't scared now.

"Some of the teams I watched last season, especially Celtic, they were absolutely atrocious. Passing for the sake of it.

"I think we're playing the wrong style of football. I think in three years' time everyone will be back to 4-4-2.

"We should play the Scottish way, let's get two strikers up the park, let's get wide men in there. People say it's old fashioned but when we were old fashioned we were winning. We're not winning now."

Full article here:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36870182

When you're subjected to ''Tippy Tap'' football each week with hardly any end result then, perhaps the man is right. Possession football is fine when it creates chances and goal attempts, but keeping the ball for the sake of keeping it, is training ground routine and not real football or, is it?

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:07 am 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
I thought this to be an interesting statement:-

Scottish teams are too concerned with possession football rather than attacking and should go back to basics.

"We were physical, but we had wingers and we attacked people," he added. "We passed the ball forward into positions where we could score.

"Now it's all about keeping possession, it's more important than points. The teams that were scared to come to this country before aren't scared now.

"Some of the teams I watched last season, especially Celtic, they were absolutely atrocious. Passing for the sake of it.

"I think we're playing the wrong style of football. I think in three years' time everyone will be back to 4-4-2.

"We should play the Scottish way, let's get two strikers up the park, let's get wide men in there. People say it's old fashioned but when we were old fashioned we were winning. We're not winning now."

Full article here:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36870182

When you're subjected to ''Tippy Tap'' football each week with hardly any end result then, perhaps the man is right. Possession football is fine when it creates chances and goal attempts, but keeping the ball for the sake of keeping it, is training ground routine and not real football or, is it?

Whats a certainty is the British are loathe to look at Football in anything but a vary basic concept.
Anything slightly complicated tends to frazzle the British football brain and is rejected with a smirk.
You can see that with the acceptance of Sam Allardyce as the England coach.

You see 4-2-3-1 was a pattern of play developed from a deeper thought pattern than say a 4-4-2.

As you see in English coaches mindsets. Kenny Jackett as an example, they struggle massively coaching or understanding the half space or the prerequisites of the ten role.

The question is will the British continue to live life in Footballing ignorance or will they one day look worldwide for tactical thinking.

If enough are happy with the rough and tumble why change it.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:17 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

But kk, "football is a simple game"

Delph has leant more in the past 3 weeks under Pep then in his whole career.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:36 am 
Manager
Manager

Dan G WWFC wrote:
But kk, "football is a simple game"

Delph has leant more in the past 3 weeks under Pep then in his whole career.

I was sitting on a mat enjoying the sunshine and fresh air last week when a former Stoke City player came over and had a chat.

We started talking about Stoke next season and he dropped the bombshell, well it was to me that he hopes Mark Hughes gets binned.
He would sooner have Tony back in a flash.

The Stoke lad is a striker in the veteran stage now and he would hate playing the Mark Hughes way.

The key words used by Hughes/Bowen are dont force it.

Dont force the pass, recycle and be patient.

Now thats all well and good if your consistently creating opportunities in the final third, but there's many a time when the ball ends up back to the keeper and HOOF.
Know your players,, if you have an athletic striker who enjoys running the channels and does well when doing so use him.
Work out the percentages, sometimes running the channels is the better way forward.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:02 am 
Manager
Manager

When Pep has finished at Man City will other coaches be changed on how they develop a pattern of play.
Will Pep revolutionise how teams defend from the front and use a defensive diamond with inverted fullbacks to recycle the ball from deep positions.
Just watch the usual brain dead pundits failing to understand why Pep would use Kolarov at centre back without asking him to perform some of the usual duties.
But responsible for adding far more to create a fluency through the field.

Its an education worth following.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:49 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
When Pep has finished at Man City will other coaches be changed on how they develop a pattern of play.
Will Pep revolutionise how teams defend from the front and use a defensive diamond with inverted fullbacks to recycle the ball from deep positions.
Just watch the usual brain dead pundits failing to understand why Pep would use Kolarov at centre back without asking him to perform some of the usual duties.

Its so good seeing pep playing football how I see it. Thinking outside of the box.

I thought of a midfielder dropping into the defense when you have the ball then full backs to move into the midfield when i was in the shower back in school. Must have been 7 years ago now.

I was hoping we would move that way with Lopetegui and get a manager that would think the same as pep. Build a team around Pep system at man city for the national side, or have key ingredients.

I would love to spent time just learning under pep. Shadowing.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:40 am 
Manager
Manager

Dan G WWFC wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Its so good seeing pep playing football how I see it. Thinking outside of the box.

I thought of a midfielder dropping into the defense when you have the ball then full backs to move into the midfield when i was in the shower back in school. Must have been 7 years ago now.

I was hoping we would move that way with Lopetegui and get a manager that would think the same as pep. Build a team around Pep system at man city for the national side, or have key ingredients.

I would love to spent time just learning under pep. Shadowing.

There's some smart coaching going on down at Wolves especially working on positions without the ball.
As a unit they are cutting the pitch off from the front using a couple of pressing techniques.

Its a high energy group effort far removed from past seasons when players did a little pressing individually.
It shows up Mason as being very clever with his movement while Edwards with his new found self discipline had one of his best ever games in a Wolves shirt against Reading.
I love it when players put their brain in gear before making a run. Refreshing.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:39 am 
Manager
Manager

Watching Brazil play football at the Olympics one player kept catching my eye because of how clever he was, football intelligence.

Liverpool have submitted a bid of €35M to Grêmio for attacker Luan (23), confirms the usually reliable Futebol de Gaúcha.

This one.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:09 pm 
Manager
Manager

There's some managers who you keep an eye on because their media hype vastly inflates their abilities.

Two such managers being found out just as you expected because they just ain't very good.

Slaven Bilic and Mark Hughes.

Mark Hughes especially, he signs these name players without having real knowledge about how to balance a side and gets confused by the outcome.

Found out Hughes, you can up the wage bill, spend more on transfer fees then struggle to put the whole package together.
He's like a bloke in quicksand up to his neck in it.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
There's some managers who you keep an eye on because their media hype vastly inflates their abilities.

Two such managers being found out just as you expected because they just ain't very good.

Slaven Bilic and Mark Hughes.

Mark Hughes especially, he signs these name players without having real knowledge about how to balance a side and gets confused by the outcome.

Found out Hughes, you can up the wage bill, spend more on transfer fees then struggle to put the whole package together.
He's like a bloke in quicksand up to his neck in it.

how do you account for the fact that Mr Hughes has done fairly well wherever he has gone?

QPR aside obviously

www.vwcaddy.com

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:41 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I wonder how long the trend of attacking full backs will last untill it changes to inverted full backs or even a libero from a back 4.

As, attacking full backs can mean the other team end up with a back 6 as the wingers drop back to cover the full backs and unless a midfielder drops into the defence your left with 2 at the back, with a lot of space to cover. Why counter attacks are so effective?

I am enjoying the idea of a 442 with "libero" style centre half over attacking full backs. So the shape would go into a sort of 3142. The defence would be in better shape to deal with counter attacks. You now have a player in the deep midfielder role giving the normal midfielders more freedom to attack and also there to create passing options for the defenders to the midfielders. Wide players will be more isolated, but it would either create 1v1s with the full backs, or they get doubled on taking them out of the game but leaving the midfield more space to control the game. One of the strikers could drop into the 10 role aswell to create even more passing options.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:48 am 
Manager
Manager

I think with inverted full backs moving infield into the spaces previously occupied by defensive mid fielders it gives the opportunity to push your midfield higher.

But some managers seem to only part understand the system, example saturday Swansea who clog up centre field and completely lack width.

Within that the ability to stretch teams by switching play. Beating Chelsea covered up massive problems within their game plan.
Far to static with nobody creating passing options by moving past the ball.

With Wolves throughout the side they have to learn as quickly as possible each others play, heads up football which requires lateral movement consistently.
There's a willingness from Walter Zenga to allow massively talented players the opportunity to improvise which is good.
But only if its supported correctly with solid structure, Walter hasn't found that balance with his selection or positional structure.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:19 am 
Manager
Manager

It comes to something when we have all this International football next weekend and the match I'm looking forward to most is.

Scunthorpe against Northampton, should be a cracker.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:21 am 
Manager
Manager

Wales didn't win, Scotland and England struggle and the Irish did well away from home.

And the way the home nations play particularly Scotland, Wales and the Irish any result in those games was possible.

Because the management are hardly making a semblance of difference, You could do it in all honesty.

Its basic selection, basic shape, basic motivation and thats it.

Tens of thousands of coaches up and down the British Isles could do exactly the same.

Now if you want to be a Football manager you have to make a difference thats tactical thinking and strategy. And its not happening.
Play the same games next week and another result can happen.

So how does the better coach make a difference, how does he sway the odds in his favour.

He develops a structure and patterns within a game to suit his nations strengths and characteristics.

If the likes of Gordan Strachan want payment for basic selection and organisation they should ask for far less.

I didn't watch the England game but one observation.

Southgate asked for bravery and risk pre game.

England had near 79% possession of the ball.

Now did they create an endless stream of chances because of this risk and bravery strategy.

Or would 55% possession have seen real risk with the passing and more bravery in one on one situations.
I find that when teams have massive levels of possession they take very few risks.
So is Southgate right did England follow his instructions or did the players play within their limitations.
The key to International football is players playing on the edge of their abilities to enable memorable moments.
Are they listening to you Gareth.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:08 am 
Manager
Manager

Watching Chelsea vs Spurs last night at half time it went to the studio for some tactical thoughts.

Harry Redknapp and Rio Ferdinand looked over their shoulder at each other not having any answers.

Tactical donuts, nothing to offer.

The third member Franco Zola then nailed it in one fifteen second sentence.

Why does England breed tactical imbeciles?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

I don't think I've ever commented on this thread before because I really don't like the title of the thread but judging by what KK has had to say on the Wolves Chat page I have to say that he hasn't. Sorry, harsh but true.

I have to admit, mind, that I also talk bollox at times. :oops:

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:35 am 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
I don't think I've ever commented on this thread before because I really don't like the title of the thread but judging by what KK has had to say on the Wolves Chat page I have to say that he hasn't. Sorry, harsh but true.

Thats OK.

Recently about three or four of your posts have been excellent and made me put my thinking cap on, especially towards Teaching methods.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:52 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

Thats OK.

Recently about three or four of your posts have been excellent and made me put my thinking cap on, especially towards Teaching methods.

That must have been ages ago. :smt017

I know I've been a bit provocative recently but I don't mean to be personal at all. :oops: It's just that when things get my goat it comes out in the most direct way that I can muster.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:20 am 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

Thats OK.

I know I've been a bit provocative recently but I don't mean to be personal at all. :oops: It's just that when things get my goat it comes out in the most direct way that I can muster.

I think you have to know the poster your comments are posted towards. You know I couldn't give a fuck while others might be a little precious and take it to heart.

So we all have to be careful on a football forum thats careful to not regulate to a hard degree.
The good thing is the Mods don't jump in to quickly.

If a new poster was given short shrift I would find that a tad unfair.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:01 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Thats OK.

I think you have to know the poster your comments are posted towards. You know I couldn't give a fuck while others might be a little precious and take it to heart.

So we all have to be careful on a football forum thats careful to not regulate to a hard degree.
The good thing is the Mods don't jump in to quickly.

If a new poster was given short shrift I would find that a tad unfair.

Yup. Fair comments throughout. :smt023

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:37 am 
Manager
Manager

Watching Leeds vs Villa the game turned on one tactical shift by Gary Monk.

It was simple, but it was necessary. Steve Bruce never counteracted that change.

The young Leeds midfield player Ronaldo Vieira kept on being picked off by the high Villa press, constantly putting his team in trouble.

Monk could either replace him or reset the team, he reset the team.

Ronaldo Vieira moved twenty yards higher, Kalvin Phillips received the ball in full back positions and they built with far more intelligence.

Well done Gary Monk.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:35 am 
Manager
Manager

My goal of the week.

Swansea vs Sunderland.

Left winger beats fullback on the OUTSIDE, provides a cross to the back stick.

Header dispatched firmly into the net.

Simplicity.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:14 am 
Manager
Manager

If you fancy a double dose of football today.

MATCH DAY AFC Wulfrunians vs Sporting Khalsa

12pm kick off.

Castlecroft Stadium
Wolverhampton
WV3 8NA

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:08 am 
Manager
Manager

"I came here to put something in place which I felt the club hadn't had." Monk open to longer-term contract at Leeds Utd.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/s ... -1-8343349

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:55 am 
Manager
Manager

If you see the highlights of Liverpool vs Swansea have a look at Klopp on the sideline.

Liverpool are a vibrant team that feeds of the energy and positivity of its coach.

Klopp on the touchline, a big Nancy feeling the cold, his head huddled down inside a scarf.

Man up you big Jessie, show your verve and energy, don't be showing them such negativity.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:06 am 
Manager
Manager

Gastón Ramírez.

Do people realise how good Gastón Ramírez is? Middlesbrough hardly create a chance without him.

Get in there if he is available.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat