Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next

Share On:

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:53 am 
Manager
Manager

On the face of it the loaning of Price and the isolation of Jacobs just looks like poor judgement.

Its at this time that you wish the local newspaper had a sports writer who knows the game and could ask a few technical/tactical questions.
Unfortunately the likes of the Express and Star have people in the sports department without a clue in most of these matters.

Kenny Jackett could help himself in those Wolves interviews if he shared some of his reasoning with the fans,
once you understand the coaches thinking your more receptive to change.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
On the face of it the loaning of Price and the isolation of Jacobs just looks like poor judgement.

Its at this time that you wish the local newspaper had a sports writer who knows the game and could ask a few technical/tactical questions.
Unfortunately the likes of the Express and Star have people in the sports department without a clue in most of these matters.

Kenny Jackett could help himself in those Wolves interviews if he shared some of his reasoning with the fans,

Most of the journalists avoid tactical questions as a) they don't understand the question or the answer and b) they don't want to be banned from future press conferences or interviews.

Honestly, what could Kenny say to the fans now in a tactical sense that the average punter could understand when the players obviously do not. :idea:

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:54 am 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Most of the journalists avoid tactical questions as a) they don't understand the question or the answer and b) they don't want to be banned from future press conferences or interviews.

Honestly, what could Kenny say to the fans now in a tactical sense that the average punter could understand when the players obviously do not. :idea:

I just think if Kenny Jackett explained why he selects Dave Edwards for example rather than the more fan favourite Micheal Jocobs he would rid himself of some of the conjecture.
Why he ditched the midfield triangle thats confused many of us, the Price, McDonald, Jacobs trio which we had hoped would be helped and developed.

Why he persists with Matt Doherty at right back, what he asks of that player that maybe is not getting the notice of the bloke in the stands.

I remember Bill Shankly way back in the 1960's saying his first job at any club was educating the fans.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:51 am 
Manager
Manager

Midfield rotation.

http://coachdanwright.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... ation.html

Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:32 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

What are you thinking of with that new bit of sig KK?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:

I thought it was saying that you shouldn't ask questions and think for yourself - so there. :lol:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Left back wrote:

I thought it was saying that you shouldn't ask questions and think for yourself - so there. :lol:

I suspect Leftie was being ironing. :P

Three or four? | Pub team selection explained | Puns | Keep Calm | More

Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:15 pm 
Manager
Manager

Nibbs Minton wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
Left back wrote:

I understood that he was just 'ironing', but I was just 'board'. :lol:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:26 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Nibbs Minton wrote:

Oh I see. I don't know why I bothered anyway as there were more pressing matters at the time.

Three or four? | Pub team selection explained | Puns | Keep Calm | More

Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:51 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Nibbs Minton wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
Nibbs Minton wrote:

Oh I see. I don't know why I bothered anyway as there were more pressing matters at the time.

It just all fell flat. perhaps we should try to smoothe things over.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:00 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
Nibbs Minton wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

It just all fell flat. perhaps we should try to smoothe things over.

No point in getting all steamed up about it and hot under the collar, better to adjust to a cooler setting and nylon.

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:53 am 
Manager
Manager

So Kenny Jackett did go 4-4-2 and threw a kid into the mix which is pretty smart if you ask me.

The angles and spaces were reduced and covered better, against a side that have that capacity to switch the play when drive through a space they open up.

I learnt as a teenager not to comment on refs, pointless doing so against something you can't control.

When coaching i would often remind players refs do their best, even the crap ones, let us be the side that takes advantage of our opponents frustrations.

Use poor refs to your advantage by having good focus, discipline and concentration, let the other team rant like schoolgirls.
At professional level you have to have ice cold blood, much like a poker player, everything can be turned to your advantage.
Well done Wolves you became competitive again, well done Bournemouth you were the more professional.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:33 am 
Manager
Manager

The first Red.

I can understand the Ref giving a Red card because it looks like RVLP is trying to do the other player by the trained eye.

Refs up and down the country learn the game by watching game situations, he wouldn't know this was a winger making an Arial challenge, he thinks striker position = striker.

RVLP may never have been coached in jumping to win the balls against a centre back, the ref doesn't know this.
When you see a player facing an opponent rather than watching the ball, the alarm bells go on.
Is that lad trying to do him. ....He wasn't our bloke was innocent, stupid challenge rather than malicious.
But you can see why the Ref made that call. Forget the height of the arm, you just shouldn't be jumping towards another in those situations.
Refs read those situations wrong sometimes, dont do it, dont leave yourselves open to interpretation.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:37 am 
Manager
Manager

Haven't seen any replays of the incident yet, only saw it as I think it happened Live on a computer screen, but what do you reckon to our chances of winning that appeal?

Kenny said he was close to the incident and later saw the playback and wants to appeal. However, more importantly what do you reckon to VLP in that position and will Kenny continue to play him there?

If I was in Kenny's shoes then, I would be already working out my options for when I lose Dicko and Sako to Africa. Not knowing how we might do during the January window then I guess that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/830009/Live

The Wolves vs Bournemouth heat map thats gives you game detail.

Away from the smoke and mirrors of a Referees performance the real detail that has to be looked at is the team selections, shapes and substitutions.

I think Wolves missed a trick by not introducing Jack Price when reduced to ten men, because you have to defend the important space.
Through the central zones = because thats were the goals are and where Bournemouth have to return.

Note that Bournemouth opened up eight players to easy passing angles, thats not easy, maybe only three teams are capable of that in the Championship.
When they introduced Kermorgant I think it confused KJ because he didn't move to play up front, but like Pitman found space between the lines.

Jacobs was a poor sub in this situation, his best attributes were not a necessity where as Price would have been at the fulcrum of the battle.

Next weeks selection is interesting because 4-2-3-1 has the angles to beat Sheff Wednesday.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:51 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Well Knocker, I would have said Bournemouth's passing and movement was good when we were down to 10. Price would have been a better bet to combat that than Jacobs. You see, I agree with you KK but I don't see the need for all the gubbins.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
Well Knocker, I would have said Bournemouth's passing and movement was good when we were down to 10. Price would have been a better bet to combat that than Jacobs. You see, I agree with you KK but I don't see the need for all the gubbins.

I think if you study such information it either confirms your thinking or makes you think again.
I looked to where players were actively involved, and which combinations were working together.
One conclusion is forming and thats based on eleven vs eleven Danny Graham is trying to fit himself to the teams requirements, not Wolves to his.
Is that right, that requires even more detail.
I think as it stands Danny Graham could be playing for the team and by doing so maybe denying himself a full contract at the Wolves.
Much could change with Nouha Dicko adding himself to the equation.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:12 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I guess you mean Graham needs a decent partner? I've thought about that and I've thought again, I think Graham needs a decent partner.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:19 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
I guess you mean Graham needs a decent partner? I've thought about that and I've thought again, I think Graham needs a decent partner.

I dont think Wolves require someone of Danny Grahams quality because they are not trying to refine the feed.

Its like having three Michelin stars and feeding the top table egg and chips followed up with a Pepsi Max.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:22 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

You remind me of a bloke I knew once who used to sing this song:

Indicate the place of my abode
I am fatigued and I wish to recline
I partook of liquid refreshment 60 minutes back
And it's infiltrated my mind

I like egg and chips.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
You remind me of a bloke I knew once who used to sing this song:

Indicate the place of my abode
I am fatigued and I wish to recline
I partook of liquid refreshment 60 minutes back
And it's infiltrated my mind

I like egg and chips.

I think many people enjoy egg and chip football they just dont like to admit it because its not trendy.

I was one of the few that had to seek out continental football as a kid because it just mystified me so much.
I also had to travel to Merseyside to watch Kenny Dalglish on European wednesdays, the likes of St Ettinne and Ajax, Red Star just kindled my imagination.
That was a learning stage for me.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:31 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I liked to see Waggy cross it and Doog knock it in.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:

But if you look at the detail you could see how Dougan helped develop Wagstaffe, and why Kindon made Wagstaffe a lessor player.
Something which was lost on McGarry tactically.

Dougan created space by moving away to the back stick, trying to create more space and individual duels.
Kindon ran the inside left channel, centre backs could cover him then also get to Wagstaffe on the cover.

People remember Steve Whitworth doing well against Wagstaffe, they fail to remember how Graham Cross enabled his job to be easier.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:46 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Nah. If Doog didn't score then JR did. When we got the ball and stuck it in the back of the net, those were the tactics that interested me.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:05 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Left back wrote:

But if you look at the detail you could see how Dougan helped develop Wagstaffe, and why Kindon made Wagstaffe a lessor player.

Dougan created space by moving away to the back stick, trying to create more space and individual duels.
Kindon ran the inside left channel, centre backs could cover him then also get to Wagstaffe on the cover.

People remember Steve Whitworth doing well against Wagstaffe, they fail to remember how Graham Cross enabled his job to be easier.

What did you reckon of Steve Kindon as a player then Knocker; I only saw him as a Bull in a China Shop, but he could be frightening going forward on one of his charges.

As a matter of interest, who was the first real Wing Back that you can recall?

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:52 am 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
Left back wrote:

What did you reckon of Steve Kindon as a player then Knocker; I only saw him as a Bull in a China Shop, but he could be frightening going forward on one of his charges.

I dont think Wolves ever used Steve Kindon correctly, at Burnely they switched the ball quickly from right to left trying to isolate him against One defender.
Wolves because of his physicality tried to develop him in ways that were totally alien to his skill set.

Full backs, in the World game it was Djalma Santos from Brazil, Giacinto Facchetti from Inter Milan, British would be Tommy Gemmell.
Today the best attacking fullback Ricardo Rodriguez at Wolfsburg, this should be his last season with the Wolfs before he joins a mega club.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:01 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I dont think Wolves ever used Steve Kindon correctly, at Burnely they switched the ball quickly from right to left trying to isolate him against One defender.
Wolves because of his physicality tried to develop him in ways that were totally alien to his skill set.

Full backs, in the World game it was Djalma Santos from Brazil, Giacinto Facchetti from Inter Milan, British would be Tommy Gemmell.
Today the best attacking fullback Ricardo Rodriguez at Wolfsburg, this should be his last season with the Wolfs before he joins a mega club.

Interesting choice there Knocker, I can recall that European Cup final goal of his for Jock Stein's Celtic and interesting reading the Wiki link that says that he should never have been in a position to score it as he went against instructions for only one Full Back to go forward at a time. Just goes to show that sometimes instinct, flair and bloody mindedness can go in your favour. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Gemmell

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:54 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

Bournemouth perception - bunch of wankers.

Bournemouth reality - bunch of wankers.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:33 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Hello Mad. I liked them better when they were Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic on Sports Report.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:39 am 
Manager
Manager

e="knocker knowles"]

People remember Steve Whitworth doing well against Wagstaffe, they fail to remember how Graham Cross enabled his job to be easier.[/quote]

As a matter of interest, who was the first real Wing Back that you can recall?[/quote]

Today the best attacking fullback Ricardo Rodriguez at Wolfsburg, this should be his last season with the Wolfs before he joins a mega club.[/quote]

Interesting choice there Knocker, I can recall that European Cup final goal of his for Jock Stein's Celtic and interesting reading the Wiki link that says that he should never have been in a position to score it as he went against instructions for only one Full Back to go forward at a time. Just goes to show that sometimes instinct, flair and bloody mindedness can go in your favour. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Gemmell[/quote]

The best of the English during the sixties had trials at Wolves as a winger Terry Cooper who did quite well in the end.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat