Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Share On:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:13 am 
Manager
Manager

Its just starting those careless whispers which are in the embryonic stage because fans are not using their brains before coming to the wrong conclusion.

Benik Afobe.

Last season Wolves and in particular Kenny Jackett was blessed with two outstanding creative forward talents in Bakary Sako and Nouha Dicko.

Now without both its the responsibility of the coach to feed ball into his striker. Also to have a variable route into that striker so defenders find the threat less than predictable.

If you lose two such creative talents you have to be very precise in the transfer market to replace such talents or you make your striker look malnourished.
You can destroy a young striker if you fail in the transfer market as you seek fresh creative talents.

I saw two young talents at Bescott on Saturday Bradley Dack and George Evans. Exceptional talents, exceptional creative talents.

For Benik Afobe to score goals to continue to hit high totals he requires a Bradley Dack linking the play from midfield to up top. Benik would thrive rather than suffer continued frustration.

Continue as you are Wolves and Benik Afobe hits half of last seasons total without it being remotely his fault.
Try telling the fans that.
You see the head coach at Wolves struggles to create a fluency of play that plays through the thirds which opens up the opportunity for creative talents.
Kenny Jackett must be a nightmare for strikers, ask those who came on loan or failed to break through from squad positions.
Its this key point that will make or break Kenny Jackett can he find keys that unlock doors.

Oh OK, lets use the battering ram that is Grant Holt....

The moral of the story is dont blame Benik Afobe, its not his fault. Add Bradley Dack and George Evans and your looking at automatic promotion.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:38 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:

The moral of the story is dont blame Benik Afobe, its not his fault. Add Bradley Dack and George Evans and your looking at automatic promotion.

I don't quite understand the Holt loan signing, what is it all about when we have ALF on the bench?

I don't know these two players you saw at Walsall, but what do they offer that none of our existing players can?

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:34 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Moscow Wolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I don't quite understand the Holt loan signing, what is it all about when we have ALF on the bench?

I don't know these two players you saw at Walsall, but what do they offer that none of our existing players can?

Dack looks decent, saw him play against us for Gillingham and he stood out, needs a haircut though

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:53 am 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Dack looks decent, saw him play against us for Gillingham and he stood out, needs a haircut though

I thought attacking play was about creativity and expression going forward into the opponents half. If done through centre field you have the option of trying to link into the striker or to switch play wide to a winger/wide player.

It gives you better passing angles, it helps you commit opponents towards the ball, it helps create movement through your front four positions.
You see it might require an extra pass or two to find that little bit of space that an Afobe can work in, or space beyond your opponents back four.
Its having a little bit of craft and imagination which creates an opportunity to midfield and front line players who at the moment are starved of the ball.
Each week watching other Championship clubs I'm watching higher chance creation with far lesser players, that can't be right.

Or do you go with Dave Edwards who rarely offers himself for a pass through midfield and would rather make a forward run in the hope that the ball might arrive there.
The fact that so many Wolves attacks break down because they lack that extra link from Kevin McDonald before it reaches Afobe is lost on him.

Ok, lets forget chance creation, lets continue with this very limited game plan, Dave Edwards might score ten you know.
Yeah and the team could maybe score thirty more by the seasons conclusion.

Here's me thinking the play offs were a possibility, no lets forget about that lets become a predictable middle range side.

Here's some good news though, I dont think Benik Afobe's valuation will drop drastically, scouts and managers will see his predicament.

They will think in my team he will be given a supply line and will score for fun.

He's wasted at Wolves, lets go 4-4-2 with Holt and Alf, on me head son. You want primitive, av it.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:17 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

haircut, pfft.

www.vwcaddy.com

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:33 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:

I thought attacking play was about creativity and expression going forward into the opponents half. If done through centre field you have the option of trying to link into the striker or to switch play wide to a winger/wide player.

It gives you better passing angles, it helps you commit opponents towards the ball, it helps create movement through your front four positions.
You see it might require an extra pass or two to find that little bit of space that an Afobe can work in, or space beyond your opponents back four.
Its having a little bit of craft and imagination which creates an opportunity to midfield and front line players who at the moment are starved of the ball.
Each week watching other Championship clubs I'm watching higher chance creation with far lesser players, that can't be right.

Or do you go with Dave Edwards who rarely offers himself for a pass through midfield and would rather make a forward run in the hope that the ball might arrive there.
The fact that so many Wolves attacks break down because they lack that extra link from Kevin McDonald before it reaches Afobe is lost on him.

Ok, lets forget chance creation, lets continue with this very limited game plan, Dave Edwards might score ten you know.

Here's me thinking the play offs were a possibility, no lets forget about that lets become a predictable middle range side.

Here's some good news though, I dont think Benik Afobe's valuation will drop drastically, scouts and managers will see his predicament.

They will think in my team he will be given a supply line and will score for fun.

He's wasted at Wolves, lets go 4-4-2 with Holt and Alf, on me head son. You want primitive, av it.

I agree with you 100% about Edwards and the difference a more creative player could have in that position, but apparently everytime he scores he proves us all wrong again

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:10 am 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I agree with you 100% about Edwards and the difference a more creative player could have in that position, but apparently everytime he scores he proves us all wrong again

Yeah well last night at Bristol was the latest car crash in a sequence of car crashes, Kenny Jackett again totally exposed tactically.
I get the feeling if Kenny can get two strikers on the pitch while also playing the magician that is Edwards he thinks it as tactical utopia.

Its twelve months now since the alarm bells started ringing and still some Wolves fans cling on to the Kenny Jackett band wagon.
The truth is with every selection of Dave Edwards he makes himself look a complete pillock.

He came here with the brief to develop players he ended up destroying players.

Jackett must go and the board has to offer Gary Rowett the best contract it has ever offered a football manager.
Treble your money Gary, get down here.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:54 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Yeah well last night at Bristol was the latest car crash in a sequence of car crashes, Kenny Jackett again totally exposed tactically.
I get the feeling if Kenny can get two strikers on the pitch while also playing the magician that is Edwards he thinks it as tactical utopia.

Its twelve months now since the alarm bells started ringing and still some Wolves fans cling on to the Kenny Jackett band wagon.
The truth is with every selection of Dave Edwards he makes himself look a complete pillock.

Jackett must go and the board has to offer Gary Rowett the best contract it has ever offered a football manager.
Treble your money Gary, get down here.

I'm not against your message, Knocker, but Kenny Jackett just beat Gary Rowett and beat fairly comfortably. I'm slightly weary of the club in absolute turmoil appointing someone like Rowett who could be the next Mark McGhee but minus the millions to prop him up.

If we're going to give out a big contract (which we all know there'S no hope in hell of the club doing) wouldn't it be better going for a Paul Lambert, who's actually got promotions on his CV, who's got Premier League experience, who has a greater standing in the game than either Jackett or (at this time) Rowett, wouldn't that guarantee the players reacted better. We don't need another Solbakken where the players think, well, who the fuck are you exactly, what have you won?

I think in the short term our best hope is that Jackett gets a proper bollocking from Moxey and is told his job is on the line. That might knock a little sense into him for enough games to at least stave off the drop.

Realistically I can't see us doing anything managerially until a new owner comes in. Jez has already said he doesn't give a shit that the crowds are bad so the supporters can't influence anything, and Morgan properly doesn't even bother listening out for our results these days.

Introducing Mr Jeff Shi – Executive chairman, board member, acting managing director, acting sporting director, unofficial deputy to Raul Jimenez in the striker department and confirmed Banks's drinker

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

]

He's wasted at Wolves, lets go 4-4-2 with Holt and Alf, on me head son. You want primitive, av it.[/quote]

I agree with you 100% about Edwards and the difference a more creative player could have in that position, but apparently everytime he scores he proves us all wrong again[/quote]

Treble your money Gary, get down here.[/quote]

I'm not against your message, Knocker, but Kenny Jackett just beat Gary Rowett and beat fairly comfortably. I'm slightly weary of the club in absolute turmoil appointing someone like Rowett who could be the next Mark McGhee but minus the millions to prop him up.

If we're going to give out a big contract (which we all know there'S no hope in hell of the club doing) wouldn't it be better going for a Paul Lambert, who's actually got promotions on his CV, who's got Premier League experience, who has a greater standing in the game than either Jackett or (at this time) Rowett, wouldn't that guarantee the players reacted better. We don't need another Solbakken where the players think, well, who the fuck are you exactly, what have you won?

I think in the short term our best hope is that Jackett gets a proper bollocking from Moxey and is told his job is on the line. That might knock a little sense into him for enough games to at least stave off the drop.

Realistically I can't see us doing anything managerially until a new owner comes in. Jez has already said he doesn't give a shit that the crowds are bad so the supporters can't influence anything, and Morgan properly doesn't even bother listening out for our results these days.[/quote]

The way I look at it and I think I find the same problem with every Moxey appointment is the belief he continually makes the same mistake when interviewing.

Its why he would never be the best in the business because Moxey just as the managers he hires lack one massively key ingredient.
They lack a creative gene within their bodies.

You take the victors last night and the manager Steve Cotterill, just like his mentor Howard Wilkinson bland as they come as gray as the sky.
Same deal at Wolves, Moxey hires these good steady types but they are bland, gray and unimaginative.
Be it McCarthy or Jackett your just hiring a regular steady Eddie, a meat and two veg kind of a guy.

Now Moxey feels comfortable with these type of characters, they will be sensible and straight forward.
The trouble is great managers dont fit that profile, great managers have that creative gene, its that part of the brain that sets them apart.

What we see is the Jacketts of this world trying hard to be the John Travolta and with each failed experiment becoming more the drunken grand dad wedding dancer.
They think themselves good but the reality is a million miles apart.

The clubs pretty fucked because Moxey doesn't do creative expression and Steve Morgan never had a home recommended for artistic content.
You want bland, Wolves have built on an abundance of that through the decades.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:10 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Is that Kim Bo-Kyung still a free agent?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:59 am 
Manager
Manager

Dan G WWFC wrote:

I think Wolves should pass on any potential new signings until such time as they learn how to use the current squad at somewhere near its potential.

Its destruction rather than development under Kenny Jackett with the likes of Price, Afobe and Wallace showing about 30% of their capabilities.

Older Wolves fans will tell you of great strike partnerships going back before Bull and Mutch.

Players like Dougan and Richards, what they often leave out is the Wagstaffe bit.

Truthfully it was Wagstaffe, Dougan and Richards, if one was missing the others suffered.

Now that point used in the present day explains this managers key predicament.

Without the two French lads who provided the creative flair he seems to turn a blind eye to the requirements. Its his job not too.
Ok the blokes probably not capable, but he could knock on Moxeys door and ask for a top line coach to be added to the staff.
Why should the fans have to suffer players not having been given any clear coaching direction.

Its the coaches job to sort this not turn up on a match day with hope his main weapon for the day.

Your not clever enough Jackett, get some other fucker on board who can create some collective pattern of play that breeds results and enriches confidence.
Yes and use your one remaining creative player Kevin McDonald higher up the field so we can start bringing Afobe into the play.

And don't forget the inclusion of Jack Price............................................................

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:17 am 
Manager
Manager

Dan G WWFC wrote:

I think he is, but I think there's work permit issues with him, last I saw Blackburn were trying to bring him in but we're having issues surrounding his work permit

"Oooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! UNBELIEVABLE!" - Gary Neville 2012

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:50 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Your not clever enough Jackett, get some other fucker on board who can create some collective pattern of play that breeds results and enriches confidence.
Yes and use your one remaining creative player Kevin McDonald higher up the field so we can start bringing Afobe into the play.

And don't forget the inclusion of Jack Price............................................................

For me KJ did that against Burnley, and I think he's attempted this in the last few matches. The difference being that he has previously played McDonald as the deeper midfielder.

It appeared to me that Jack Price was the deeper midfielder and McDonald and Edwards played further forward in a 4-1-4-1, with perhaps McDonald dropping deeper on occasions to resemble
4-2-3-1.

Not sure whatever other three of the four we play there is enough creativity.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:28 am 
Manager
Manager

warn wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

For me KJ did that against Burnley, and I think he's attempted this in the last few matches. The difference being that he has previously played McDonald as the deeper midfielder.

It appeared to me that Jack Price was the deeper midfielder and McDonald and Edwards played further forward in a 4-1-4-1, with perhaps McDonald dropping deeper on occasions to resemble
4-2-3-1.

Not sure whatever other three of the four we play there is enough creativity.

I think for this Wolves side to function McDonald would have to play the majority of the game high, meaning from the half way line then into the same area as Afobe.

I saw Spain trying to do this with Costa yesterday vs England, trying to make his role easier. I dont think he understood his different requirements at National level.

What was funny with the Spanish was without the ball their midfielders had to work far harder than they ever do when playing for Arsenal and Chelsea.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:26 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
What was funny with the Spanish was without the ball their midfielders had to work far harder than they ever do when playing for Arsenal and Chelsea.

The way I heard it, Spain weren't without the ball much at all so I'm sure they were able to cope.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:29 am 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

The way I heard it, Spain weren't without the ball much at all so I'm sure they were able to cope.

One of the key factors being they work harder than us at getting the ball back. You would have thought coaching hard work as a team ethic should be an English prerequisite.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:13 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

The thing I notice the most from teams outside of England is the work-rate and movement off the ball. Getting it back and hurting teams.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:53 am 
Manager
Manager

Dan G WWFC wrote:
The thing I notice the most from teams outside of England is the work-rate and movement off the ball. Getting it back and hurting teams.

Its important to move collectively in the final third, do that and space opens up for the player on the ball to then find a concise pass.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:38 pm 
First XI
First XI

Dan G WWFC wrote:

Agreed. That is why I enjoy watching teams like Barcelona. I am impressed with their ability on the ball and keeping it. But their defending is the most entertaining aspect of their play. They don't sit back.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:19 am 
Manager
Manager

MichiganWolf wrote:
Dan G WWFC wrote:

Agreed. That is why I enjoy watching teams like Barcelona. I am impressed with their ability on the ball and keeping it. But their defending is the most entertaining aspect of their play. They don't sit back.

It makes sense because humans run faster going forward rather than going backwards, and with eyes in the front of the head its also easier.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:10 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Nice points!

And I agree that KJ just doesn't seem to know how to get the best out of some very good players. The lack of coaching goes right back to absolute basics:
1. how to get a throw-in to one of our OWN players (and not at a ludicrous height...)
2. how to create some space for a shot on goal at corners
3. how to take a free kick from the half way line, not just push it sideways 2 or 3 times, then be forced to pas to keeper who just boots it forwards....

And MOST importantly I agree that KMac plays far far far too deep. If defenders cannot make a 10 yard pass to midfield, they shouldn't be playing. Why does KMac AND Price have to join the back 4, so we have just 4 men forwards, being marked by 10? And we wonder why we can't find a pass, so just hoof it.

Hey ho - but what do I know?

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:33 am 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Nice points!

And I agree that KJ just doesn't seem to know how to get the best out of some very good players. The lack of coaching goes right back to absolute basics:
1. how to get a throw-in to one of our OWN players (and not at a ludicrous height...)
2. how to create some space for a shot on goal at corners
3. how to take a free kick from the half way line, not just push it sideways 2 or 3 times, then be forced to pas to keeper who just boots it forwards....

And MOST importantly I agree that KMac plays far far far too deep. If defenders cannot make a 10 yard pass to midfield, they shouldn't be playing. Why does KMac AND Price have to join the back 4, so we have just 4 men forwards, being marked by 10? And we wonder why we can't find a pass, so just hoof it.

Hey ho - but what do I know?

I think any paying customer watching professional football wants to see the fruits of the work done on the training field.
In general most fans are easily pleased they dont ask for much.

If they see a well rehearsed free kick routine that creates chances, they love that.

If they see well thought out corner kick routines it warms they heart.

If they see a side thats slick and highly organised they tend to respect the coaches work.

Quite honestly I don't see that at Wolves and I hear fans at the game saying " What have these players been doing all week "

And thats all justified in my opinion.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:40 am 
Manager
Manager

Heard a couple of Liverpool players being interviewed this week saying under Klopp its easier because, get this they work harder.

Let that sink in a bit. because they work harder.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:53 pm 

'Genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration" - or something like that. Who was it? Edison?

Doesn't matter what walk of life. Famous research showed 10 000 hours is needed for 'mastery' of anything - violin, badminton, whatever.

Practice practice practice.

There is not a single example of a top performer (e.g. Nigel Kennedy) who did not start earlier, practise longer than his peers. No such thing as a 'natural talent'. Most COULD be highly talented, but few put in the hours.

Kenny, take note. (But it needs to be fun & purposeful, not just drudgery!)

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:35 am 
Manager
Manager

Watching the Hull City vs Derby game last night and it became obvious only Derby had been coached properly.
Bruce just had a very basic structure that any half decent coach could have put in place, then hoped for the best.
All it seems Steve Bruce offers is His eye in the transfer market, a bit of motivation and a basic playing structure.

Meanwhile Derby went with a well thought out well rehearsed game plan.

There's only one team looking at automatic promotion from that game and it wasn't the crew in the Wolves kit.

Oh and at 62 minutes, a fabulous throw in by Derby County. Created a chance for Tom Ince.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:34 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Does it back up my thoughts that people are getting jobs because of reputation and not coaching ability?

As it's a professional team with millions to spend. I expect great coaches throughout the club.

But I wonder how many they actually are in each club.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:19 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Watching the Hull City vs Derby game last night and it became obvious only Derby had been coached properly.
Bruce just had a very basic structure that any half decent coach could have put in place, then hoped for the best.
All it seems Steve Bruce offers is His eye in the transfer market, a bit of motivation and a basic playing structure.

There's only one team looking at automatic promotion from that game and it wasn't the crew in the Wolves kit.

Oh and at 62 minutes, a fabulous throw in by Derby County. Created a chance for Tom Ince.

You say this like Derby are a team assembled on a shoestring.

I honestly don't think there's very much good coaching at any teams at Championship level these days, even among the "successful" teams, hence there are actually no games that are actually of any real quality.

Most successes come through the pure confidence of nicking a series of results or pure finance.

Introducing Mr Jeff Shi – Executive chairman, board member, acting managing director, acting sporting director, unofficial deputy to Raul Jimenez in the striker department and confirmed Banks's drinker

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:00 am 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

You say this like Derby are a team assembled on a shoestring.

I honestly don't think there's very much good coaching at any teams at Championship level these days, even among the "successful" teams, hence there are actually no games that are actually of any real quality.

Most successes come through the pure confidence of nicking a series of results or pure finance.

I had never thought about the cost of the squad when I was looking at the game, but you have a fair point.

Ability, confidence and good organisation.

Oh and the one thing that was noticeably missing from the Wolves team yesterday, the desire and belief in what they are doing.
As professional players the Wolves squad are maintaining high work ethics but when that extra yard is required, that little bit of bravery.
Thats gone missing, I think some of this squad have lost that inner desire to produce it for this manager.
Thats when close games start going the other way and there's no way back I'm afraid.

Moxey should do the right thing, sit Kenny down and come to an amicable conclusion on his contract.

The fans deserve a better second half to the season.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:37 am 
Manager
Manager

OK Brentford changed manager Wolves didn't who finishes higher this season.

Both look mid table,
will Brentford move forward under a new manager with fresh ideas or do you believe Wolves will overtake them before the season closes.

Brentford or Wolves, which one finishes higher?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:39 am 
Manager
Manager

Many people underestimate Brighton, dont they will be top six at the end of the season.

Micks Ipswich wont make the play offs.

But will Birmingham and Sheff Wednesday, those are the difficult calls.

If Wolves make the top twelve I will be massively surprised.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat