Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next

Share On:

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:30 am 
Manager
Manager

Its a big game for Rotherham United this evening, they dont have much framework or pattern and survive or fall away with their confidence levels.
At Reading they need to be solid and looking for a point, a defeat could promote a serious slide in their fortunes.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:06 am 
Manager
Manager

Noticed Charlton are trying to sign Tulio de Melo and i wonder if Wolves will again try and gazump the deal.
Looks a talent, scores all types of goals and is two footed.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

All Championship matches will kick off at 12.15 on Saturday May 2nd; this being the final set of matches. Also, vanishing spray shaving foam stuff will be in use in all football league games from Jan 1st.

Three or four? | Pub team selection explained | Puns | Keep Calm | More

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:02 am 
Manager
Manager

Nibbs Minton wrote:
All Championship matches will kick off at 12.15 on Saturday May 2nd; this being the final set of matches. Also, vanishing spray shaving foam stuff will be in use in all football league games from Jan 1st.

I hope Wolves require three points on that final day to secure a play off place, tension till the end every time.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:04 am 
Manager
Manager

Speaking to other people they are looking for other things than me from Danny Graham, I'm not looking for a bloke to get on the end of crosses.

Nope, for that kind of cash I want a well rounded intelligent striker with a great first touch who can link the play and develop the play.
Then I look at what types of goals he can create and score himself.

If i was just after a big lad up top i could find a dozen, its got to be far more than that.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Speaking to other people they are looking for other things than me from Danny Graham, I'm not looking for a bloke to get on the end of crosses.

Nope, for that kind of cash I want a well rounded intelligent striker with a great first touch who can link the play and develop the play.

If i was just after a big lad up top i could find a dozen, its got to be far more than that.

So, despite the loss to Forest, what did you make of Graham's performance?

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

He must think what the fuck is this all about.

With his skills at this level it should be a walk in the park, not a run around the bombsite.

He must be thinking whats this idiot Edwards doing in a team at this level, the bloke just runs past me when he should be doing other things.

You would feel sorry for the lad if it wasn't for the money entering his bank account.
If thats how you want to use him you may as well play Sagbo.

I did feel sorry for Matt Doherty though.

The way the team was set up with all the piss poor combinations around the pitch just made him look a kunt.
He Doherty should be having a work with Kenny Monday morning, he shouldn't be set up to fail. Thats abject management and team selection.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:07 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

With his skills at this level it should be a walk in the park, not a run around the bombsite.

He must be thinking whats this idiot Edwards doing in a team at this level, the bloke just runs past me when he should be doing other things.

You would feel sorry for the lad if it wasn't for the money entering his bank account.

The way the team was set up with all the piss poor combinations around the pitch just made him look a kunt.
He Doherty should be having a work with Kenny Monday morning, he shouldn't be set up to fail. Thats abject management and team selection.

What was so different from the rest of the season?
Batth , his centre back, McDonald his midfielder and either Henry or VLP his winger. Not the set-up, just the way they played, and of course the opposition.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

warn wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

Batth , his centre back, McDonald his midfielder and either Henry or VLP his winger. Not the set-up, just the way they played, and of course the opposition.

Plus, Forest are not one of Knocker's Method Teams and elsewhere he explained how Kenny would exploit any team coming to us playing 4-4-2 so, I totally confused.com. :lol:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:19 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Plus, Forest are not one of Knocker's Method Teams and elsewhere he explained how Kenny would exploit any team coming to us playing 4-4-2 so, I totally confused.com.

Forest, like a lot of other teams in this division have better players than us. They looked the more likely winners before we committed hari kari by going with two upfront and one less in midfield.

Players win matches not tactics. Tin hat at the ready 8)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:47 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

warn wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
Plus, Forest are not one of Knocker's Method Teams and elsewhere he explained how Kenny would exploit any team coming to us playing 4-4-2 so, I totally confused.com.

Forest, like a lot of other teams in this division have better players than us. They looked the more likely winners before we committed hari kari by going with two upfront and one less in midfield.

:lol: You will be advocating playing with a ball next.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
warn wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

:lol: You will be advocating playing with a ball next.

I thought of that, but came to the conclusion it was a little to radical and some may not understand it's importance.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:25 am 
Manager
Manager

]So, despite the loss to Forest, what did you make of Graham's performance?[/quote]

He Doherty should be having a work with Kenny Monday morning, he shouldn't be set up to fail. Thats abject management and team selection.[/quote]

Batth , his centre back, McDonald his midfielder and either Henry or VLP his winger. Not the set-up, just the way they played, and of course the opposition.[/quote]

Plus, Forest are not one of Knocker's Method Teams and elsewhere he explained how Kenny would exploit any team coming to us playing 4-4-2 so, I totally confused.com. :lol:[/quote]

Put your thinking cap on Mossie.

What was Wolves method built on = possession.
What were the possession stats against Forest = pretty even.
Why =

Who were the key components within Wolves possession game =

You played as a winger right.

What helped you to play well =

Should have a list of answers on that one.

What would help a slower defender, Matt Doherty deal with a fast winger Michail Antonio.

Why did Osborn and Lansbury have all the time in the world to get their heads up and choose from a multitude of passing options =

You know what if Wolves went with the same game plan against Blackpool at home Jamie O'Hara could do much the same.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:20 am 
Manager
Manager

By combination play I presume you mean pass and move, move and pass. Moving the ball into space and looking for space to receive the ball. Spacial awareness.

In my view it wasn't the idea of the combinations that were wrong, but their execution. I don't see it as a deliberate change of game plan, but the usual one that didn't work.

However was it poor technique and vision on Wolves part or did Forest read the situations and didn't let them develop in a way Wolves wanted? I suspect a little of each.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:32 am 
Manager
Manager

warn wrote:
By combination play I presume you mean pass and move, move and pass. Moving the ball into space and looking for space to receive the ball. Spacial awareness.

In my view it wasn't the idea of the combinations that were wrong, but their execution. I don't see it as a deliberate change of game plan, but the usual one that didn't work.

However was it poor technique and vision on Wolves part or did Forest read the situations and didn't let them develop in a way Wolves wanted? I suspect a little of each.

No, The coach has to select the correct combinations = players whose attributes when applied together create good combinations, cover each others faults, develop each others strengths.

Just on another point, Scott Golbourne became the key out ball for many players when Wolves decided they had no use of a ten when building through the thirds.
Scott Golbourne enabled combinations, breathers, time to group as a team, the opportunity to wait before choosing an attacking option.

Now if these combinations which seemed by design end up as being through accident, then it becomes a car crash still to happen.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:21 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
warn wrote:

No, The coach has to select the correct combinations = players whose attributes when applied together create good combinations, cover each others faults, develop each others strengths.

Just on another point, Scott Golbourne became the key out ball for many players when Wolves decided they had no use of a ten when building through the thirds.
Scott Golbourne enabled combinations, breathers, time to group as a team, the opportunity to wait before choosing an attacking option.

Now if these combinations which seemed by design end up as being through accident, then it becomes a car crash still to happen.

I see, you mean the way players interact with each other. Basic team play, things every footballer should be aware of.

So what was different in Doherty's situation on Saturday compared with the rest of the season?

I don't get your point about Golbourne. I just don't see him as a key player. Decent, but I didn't see him as someone players looked for, or someone who effectively held and used the ball.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:51 am 
Manager
Manager

Within a 4-2-3-1 whats catching out most teams is the inability to cover the fullback because managers want their three high as often as possible.

Now with the Wolves right sided defense being on the slow side, that two combination requires consideration because it becomes a target for opponents.
Who else at present can be used to supplement that space opponents require to get at those players, Tommy Rowe.
If he becomes the fire fighter and has to travel to the danger in front of the full backs it becomes reactionary football.
Its robbing Peter to pay Paul. And during this time the number ten if there was one would be trying to interrupt the opponents play maker. Where was Edwards?

When your a possession orientated team part of the game plan is getting inside your opponents head. also the coach.
What seems like passing for ego from the stands seems totally different when your involved in the game. Its surprising how insecure coaches and players are.
Now if your methods starve opponents good players on the ball you make them reactionary as they change to try and compensate.
Once you seem in control of the game its surprising how you effect energy levels of your opponents and also change their starting positions.
Do that and your Matt Doherty's become an offensive weapon, not a defensive liability.

Back to Scott Golbourne if I remember right early season his passing stats were in the top five in the Championship.
Thats his influence, to be able to receive and then keep the fluency with his passing.

If we look at Kevin McDonalds combinations when he was at his best you can see how they have been removed and replaced by lesser capability.
From having Stearman, Golbourne, Price and Jacobs with whom to build the play and interact the coach has created a mess that has undermined McDonalds game.
The structures been removed and its a struggle trying to fathom the recent game plan.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:05 pm 
Manager
Manager

I see most of that, but isn't the basic problem still that the players are finding it more difficult to carry out their roles rather than the basic idea, or game plan having changed?

McDonald is less effective because the opposition don't allow him as much time and space as he had last season not that he's being asked to play a different role. That also applies to other players and their roles, so the combinations become less effect as players have to adapt to the fact they can't play as they would like.

Instead of the endless search for a mercurial No 10 wouldn't Wolves be better to find a defensive midfielder/ holding midfielder to offer protection to the back four, so allowing McDonald and another midfield player to do the majority of their work in the opponents half?

Although organisation and a solid structure, with players knowing their roles is important, I still believe that the quality of the player is paramount.

Don't blame the coach if the opposition don't let you play as you would like. It's up to the players to work out how to counter this. Thinking on their feet - instinct, nous.

Anyway shouldn't this be in Wolves Chat as more would join in? 8)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:00 pm 
Manager
Manager

Good posts Warn and Knocker, keep it going until we all get to the bottom of it.

Getting to view so little of the games is a problem being overseas, but from the few games on TV that I viewed last season compared to this season, it seems to me that the shorter passing options are not there as they were. It is pass along the back, slightly forwards, slightly backwards and then a ping trying to get an attack going.

Why is Graham meant to hold up the ball, surely if we got it right, he would be getting the ball on the half-turn or able to lay it off straight away to someone surging forward. :idea:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:58 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Good posts Warn and Knocker, keep it going until we all get to the bottom of it.

Getting to view so little of the games is a problem being overseas, but from the few games on TV that I viewed last season compared to this season, it seems to me that the shorter passing options are not there as they were. It is pass along the back, slightly forwards, slightly backwards and then a ping trying to get an attack going.

Why is Graham meant to hold up the ball, surely if we got it right, he would be getting the ball on the half-turn or able to lay it off straight away to someone surging forward. :idea:

A few matches ago we gave away a couple of goals due to poor passing.

Doubts come to the fore.

Have to make sure of the pass. Is it the right one? Hesitation. Safe pass, back. Move into space, don't get the ball, frustration. Whole process slows down, confidence drains.

We need inspiration from somewhere, but where?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:56 am 
Manager
Manager

You see this argument Its all about the players, its all about the players WHAT?

Each player has various strengths and weaknesses so its about utilization of strengths and covering up the weakness.

Having read Wolves forums many fans wish for McDonald to be dropped, I find that to be stupid talk,
same as i found when Price, Stearman, Golbourne and Jacobs were dropped.

WHY. Why because Is it fair to judge individuals within a team framework if your cutting away from their strengths.
The players ( combinations ) who when used together create the time and space requirements for the moment.

I honestly believe these players can grace the Premier league, Price, McDonald and Jacobs and it should be within a Wolves shirt.
They would have less time as the standards they face become tougher, but because of their first touch and collective abilities can make enough time.
Kenny Jackett said we are a coaching club, i reckon honestly working this midfield group on space creation within confined areas should be routine.
When opponents try to take away your space, you love that challenge, you invite it, you really do.
Because you believe in your own abilities and just as much believe in the combinations you hone and groove through hard training.

Back to team selection.
Unfortunately this summers intake have not been an upgrade, thats life, we learn by our mistakes, not compound them by still selecting them.

For Wolves to move forward they need to bomb out Rowe, Edwards, VLP, and Saville this January.

Rowe someone like Bristol City would take him for a nominal fee, Edwards i just dont care, just need him gone.
VLP back to Holland where he can waste away his days, Saville a half seasons loan to Brentford.

From the current crop at under 21 only one will make the first team break through, thats Dominic Iorfa, it might be cruel but forget the rest.

At under 18 though thats a different story, at this time i see seven or eight with huge potential.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
You see this argument Its all about the players, its all about the players WHAT?

Each player has various strengths and weaknesses so its about utilization of strengths and covering up the weakness.

Having read Wolves forums many fans wish for McDonald to be dropped, I find that to be stupid talk,

It is like any team in any walk for life, you have 'steady hands', 'hard workers', 'slackers' and 'leaders' to name but a few. Therefore, it is the bosses' job to identify which attributes his team workers have and coach, coax or bully to get what is required from them to get the job done.

Hence, you have a Personnel department and a recruitment process to get the right person with the right skill set to fulfil the job description required. I see little differences in Football. The most effective teams in my opinion are where each worker is expert at his/her job, but can also meet the skill set of his nearest team worker also therefore, having some overlap in skill sets for emergencies. The argument against my theory in football is that a full back shouldn't be expected to play as a striker; I accept he couldn't do it as good, but he should be able to at least stand in and do his best if needs must. In the days of 1 substitute you would see an outfield player putting on the green shirt to take the place of a sent off or injured goalkeeper and that depicts what I mean.

So, I reckon that it is all about Players, but qualified by what they're expected to do and how well they can meet that job description and how flexible they are to expand upon what they have been employed to do.

knocker knowles wrote:
WHY. Why because Is it fair to judge individuals within a team framework if your cutting away from their strengths.
The players ( combinations ) who when used together create the time and space requirements for the moment.

I honestly believe these players can grace the Premier league, Price, McDonald and Jacobs and it should be within a Wolves shirt.
They would have less time as the standards they face become tougher, but because of their first touch and collective abilities can make enough time.
Kenny Jackett said we are a coaching club, i reckon honestly working this midfield group on space creation within confined areas should be routine.
When opponents try to take away your space, you love that challenge, you invite it, you really do.
Because you believe in your own abilities and just as much believe in the combinations you hone and groove through hard training.

Back to team selection.
Unfortunately this summers intake have not been an upgrade, thats life, we learn by our mistakes, not compound them by still selecting them.

For Wolves to move forward they need to bomb out Rowe, Edwards, VLP, and Saville this January.

What is so not right with Rowe, Saville and VLP for example, what are you seeing that KJ and Co are not or did not? I've omitted Edwards as he provides many a post for and against, but the others are still relative newcomers to the first team and really haven't had that many hours on the pitch for me to decide for or against.

knocker knowles wrote:
Rowe someone like Bristol City would take him for a nominal fee, Edwards i just dont care, just need him gone.
VLP back to Holland where he can waste away his days, Saville a half seasons loan to Brentford.

From the current crop at under 21 only one will make the first team break through, thats Dominic Iorfa, it might be cruel but forget the rest.

At under 18 though thats a different story, at this time i see seven or eight with huge potential.

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:18 am 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

It is like any team in any walk for life, you have 'steady hands', 'hard workers', 'slackers' and 'leaders' to name but a few. Therefore, it is the bosses' job to identify which attributes his team workers have and coach, coax or bully to get what is required from them to get the job done.

Hence, you have a Personnel department and a recruitment process to get the right person with the right skill set to fulfil the job description required. I see little differences in Football. The most effective teams in my opinion are where each worker is expert at his/her job, but can also meet the skill set of his nearest team worker also therefore, having some overlap in skill sets for emergencies. The argument against my theory in football is that a full back shouldn't be expected to play as a striker; I accept he couldn't do it as good, but he should be able to at least stand in and do his best if needs must. In the days of 1 substitute you would see an outfield player putting on the green shirt to take the place of a sent off or injured goalkeeper and that depicts what I mean.

So, I reckon that it is all about Players, but qualified by what they're expected to do and how well they can meet that job description and how flexible they are to expand upon what they have been employed to do.

knocker knowles wrote:

Back to team selection.

What is so not right with Rowe, Saville and VLP for example, what are you seeing that KJ and Co are not or did not? I've omitted Edwards as he provides many a post for and against, but the others are still relative newcomers to the first team and really haven't had that many hours on the pitch for me to decide for or against.

knocker knowles wrote:

I thought Rowe would be consistently 20% better with higher quality players around him, unfortunately he cant lift his level.
Plus he can't cover his weaknesses with athleticism.
VLP just struggles, always has with concentration and commitment, when Wolves went to Heerenveen they had four wingers better than VLP.
We came back sucking our thumb.
Saville will be a player, but not this season, maybe not next.
Edwards is just an embarrassment, any manager selecting him deserves the scorn that eventually comes his way.
It really is past a joke now at Wolves, its beyond having a laugh at his selection, its becoming painful viewing, it really is.
Its like wanting a boil on your arse all the year round.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:37 am 
Manager
Manager

I agree Mos, it is all about players. (see my signature).

Coaches do all they can to improve a player but ultimately they can't play for them. Players are what they are, and if after all the input they don't fit then they move on. It doesn't mean they won't fit somewhere else, and it doesn't mean the coach hasn't done all he can to help them.

Sometimes coaches take themselves far to seriously. Sometimes they should stand back and realise no matter how much input they have they can't totally control the game and how it's played.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

Just going back to February the team that mullered Brentford, not really given a chance this season with Kenny Jacketts continued mystery selections.

Would this team beat Brentford tomorrow, I think so.

If you believe in horses for courses he could select nine of these then maybe add Evans and Graham. Seems fair right?

So why has Kenny been fuckin about all season with far lesser players, beats me.

---------------------------------Ikeme.

------------ S Ricketts---D Batth-----R Stearman---S Golbourne.

-------------------------- J Price-----K McDonald.

---------- J Henry----------- M Jacobs-----------B Sako

--------------------------------N Dicko

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Just going back to February the team that mullered Brentford, not really given a chance this season with Kenny Jacketts continued mystery selections.

If you believe in horses for courses he could select nine of these then maybe add Evans and Graham. Seems fair right?

So why has Kenny been fuckin about all season with far lesser players, beats me.

MIDFIELD COMBINATION.

DONT REMOVE THEM, DEVELOP THEM.

Did you have a bike as a kid if you remove the chain its worthless.

You can fuck about with the handlebars, lights, seat and friggin bells to your hearts content, remove the chain that links it all together and your fucked.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:27 am 
Manager
Manager

As soon as I heard the Wolves team selection yesterday my mind thought of this.

"It's like I have a shotgun in my mouth, and I've got my finger on the trigger, and I like the taste of the gunmetal," Robert John Downey Jr told a judge in 1999.

From having a game plan thats nigh on 70 to 80% bang on the money, the comedy team selections through out this season have eroded more and more confidence.
Eroded to a point that its closer to 25% right, and when you hit lower than 50% your in the territory I call chance.
Up in the air, left to the individuals on the day to do their best, produce stoic resistance or a piece of individual magic.
I don't watch professional football to watch individuals doing their own thing apart from in the final third.

As important though, its removed the safety valves that existed in open play that enabled error without consequence.
Thats structured patterns that relate to a well thought out game plan.
I was thinking Kenny Jackett had implemented this game plan, now I'm of the persuasion that it was Kevin McDonald.
Kevin wouldn't have ripped apart his magic triangle of himself, Price and Jacobs. Perhaps the manager had a mind to try and do something by himself.

Your on the Titanic in one of the engine rooms thats filling of water, but you can move to the bay next door thats water tight.
You can keep on moving to the next water tight bay all along the ship, my guess is if you fail to secure the bay behind you , you drown more quickly.
Wolves now concede goals because when they move forward they fail to seal the door behind them.

If you can't see it Kenny, one of your staff should be telling you.
Embarrassing.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:49 am 
Manager
Manager

The goals for and against column during November would allow anyone to understand we have a problem, but as I said in Wolves Chat, you don't go from being a decent side to a shite side in a month unless you unlucky with injuries to key players.

Can you outline anything from that line-up yesterday - who was meant to do what and why leave McDonald out?

How is Kenny going to get us back to being an all round defensive and attacking unit with the squad he has got?

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:00 am 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
The goals for and against column during November would allow anyone to understand we have a problem, but as I said in Wolves Chat, you don't go from being a decent side to a shite side in a month unless you unlucky with injuries to key players.

Can you outline anything from that line-up yesterday - who was meant to do what and why leave McDonald out?

How is Kenny going to get us back to being an all round defensive and attacking unit with the squad he has got?

I think I cover the key problem pretty well, If you remember the Edwards step over thats one every fan will notice.
He should know the consequences at that time if Brentford gain possession.

If you watch a highlights package on TV, Watch the last pass a team makes that also surrenders the goal.
Thats a good point to pick apart who understands (players/coaches/fans) structured football.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:02 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:

Agreed he should go back to last seasons line up and then ask himself what he would change and if there is now a stronger player in the squad to replace them, should have also done this in the summer with transfers, but too late now.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 15  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat