Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Share On:

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:20 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I'm thinking about going into football coaching as its really the only thing I have passion for and have a thirst to learn about.

Problem is I'm not the best player, but I have already coached a few people like freinds and family and they have improve a lot since.

My Nephew Alfie does some under 5s football training down the sport centre even though he is only 3 he stands his own, even though he is a lot smaller then the rest by a mile. I had a threat previously about him when he was 1 and I said I was going to coach him. He's got a real hunger to play which is great to see and he's younger brother who is starting to walk looks even more keen! probably because its the "I want your toy, not because I want it but because you have it" syndrome.

Playing wise i'm average, technically and tactically i'm probably quite above average but physical terrible, weak, slow, poor stamina and injury prone. I can do all the fancy tricks, play some nice passes but when it comes to an actual real match I just get wretched and bullied. Thats why I think coaching will be good for me, I don't need to be incredibly good athlete.

I also think I have a good eye for a player which must be a plus.

But is it worth it, I'm currently in University doing an Accounting degree, i'm passing it when I do my work because i'm just natural good with numbers(Shit at English as you may be able to tell), but just not interested in it and its so boring, everybody keeps telling me to go for an Accountancy job because of my skill set, I mean everybody because of the amount you can earn from it but I already hate doing it. I just to have this uncontrollable wanting to learn it and do it like football. I find myself listening to random podcasts about football teams I don't even care about or leagues I have no general interest in just to get the football learning fix. I actually enjoy learning about it.

I'd love to be a scout/coach for a professional team, its my dream job but also an unrealistic one or is it?

Is there jobs in it for people without a footballing career?

I really don't know what to do, can anybody give some advice?

Do I actually know football or do i just think I do?

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:06 am 
Manager
Manager

Four things, desire, enthusiasm, imagination, honesty.

If you have the desire its out there for you, but you have to work hard trying to find your niche.

It may look glamerous, but some nights when your absolutely shattered you have to trurn up with that happy enthusiastic face.
Battle through minus degrees and rain thats cutting you in half, just to maybe put one point across.

Sometimes that point is not taken in so you try to make that same point in other ways.
Maybe a month later you see it come to fruition, sometimes never.

Its never about the coach, its about the process.

Do you have the desire, in this electronic age the answers are easily available, just look, Desire, some think they have it, they often find out they haven't.

Everyone can spot individual talent, its spotting a talent and knowing how you would utilize his/her qualities with others. Scouting is another lonely occupation.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:58 pm 
Manager
Manager

What year of the accountancy course are you in? If you were in your final year it would be an easy decision, it seems to me. You get your degree then take a year out to see how that year goes. Ditching the course would be foolish at that late stage. Thinking about it though, you are probably in the first year. Can you complete this year and then take a year out? It might be worth asking at your Uni if you aren't sure. Bear this in mind though: if you had coaching badges and an accountancy degree I would imagine there would be a lot of small clubs who would be delighted to employ you to coach and balance their books. Maybe not just the small ones.

There always seem to be academy coaching jobs on offer, and Futsal is gaining a foothold, so that's another area you might want to look at.

Perhaps writing to a few large clubs asking for advice might be a good idea? You might get some sort of help beyond just advice.

Also, scour the Internet for advice, if you haven't already.

http://www.theuksportsnetwork.com/so-you-want-to-be-a-football-coach-just-how-easy-is-it

You should definitely go after the badges anyway. Good luck with it.

Three or four? | Pub team selection explained | Puns | Keep Calm | More

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:52 pm 
Manager
Manager

Go for it, if that is what you want to do then, give it a go and be prepared to work through it even when the going gets tough. You're only young once and life is full of folk with regrets for not having done something they think they should've done earlier in their lives.

Good ex-Professional footballers don't necessarily make good Coaches or Managers and we've seen evidence of that. Instructors are not necessarily experts in the skills they teach, they just know how to get it across to their students.

Believe in yourself and go for it and good luck to you.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

Another thing to look at is what coaching courses your Uni runs, if any. There might be some way of doing both at the same time at the same place.

Three or four? | Pub team selection explained | Puns | Keep Calm | More

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:06 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Thanks everybody.
I'm in my first year by the way. I'm planning on doing my starter courses in the summer. Hopefully at the Burton centre of excellence.

I like the idea of being a account and a coach, that must be a good selling point for smaller clubs. It all about getting your foot in the door and getting experience and teams to know you. Perhaps one day will work for wolves. I'll get them to sign a bloody striker!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

why dont you coach your uni team - or volunteer to help a local kids side?

i wouldnt drop your study if you're good at it and enjoy it - you can easily do both

makes no difference how good a player you were - look at wenger and hoddle, for example

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:19 am 
Manager
Manager

Those who can do, do. Those who can't do, teach.

It's an old addage that has a ring of truth about it. Good coaches don't have to be good practitioners - as you say, Dan, they need an eye - they must have that eye. Along with that the things that KK says about determination etc including perseverance and respect for others...i.e. respect for those who are not meeting your expectations as they might one day surprise you if you persevere with them - it's amazing how often some turn a corner at a later stage than others.

Good luck.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:40 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
Those who can do, do. Those who can't do, teach.

It's an old addage that has a ring of truth about it
. Good coaches don't have to be good practitioners - as you say, Dan, they need an eye - they must have that eye. Along with that the things that KK says about determination etc including perseverance and respect for others...i.e. respect for those who are not meeting your expectations as they might one day surprise you if you persevere with them - it's amazing how often some turn a corner at a later stage than others.

Good luck.

I suspect there's a few teachers on here would disagree with this

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:56 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

The thing about coaching for me is this, at some point in their career they make a concious decision to abandon the principles that they taught, and teach/coach players to act like children, to cheat, to time waste, to be cynical, to feign injury, to influence match officials by any means necessary.

The best coaches in the world must be taught to adopt these tactics or they would not exist in the best standards of football would they?
Do you see the above tactics openly on display in national and international football? Do you see them employed at the highest levels of the game?, yes you do, so someone somewhere has to coach this into players.

How and why do they abandon those principles of honesty, hard work, encouragment of flair and team ethic, more importantly could you prostitute your integrity to do it?

Well, it seems that if you want to get to the highest levels in this game thats exactly what you have to do.

BTW, good luck, choose well. :wink:

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:53 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

A lot of people talk bollocks about coaching..........basically it boils down to..............if in doubt just stick a big lad up front and lump it up to him :lol:

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:34 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

MadCyril wrote:
A lot of people talk bollocks about coaching..........basically it boils down to..............if in doubt just stick a big lad up front and lump it up to him :lol:

That's one for Knocker to digest.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:33 am 
Manager
Manager

Give us your perceptions of coaching, how you view the game, what you would like to do regards individual player development, and team organization.

What inspires you to be a coach, what would you do different.?

My focus at the moment, what intrigues me, where I would look to improve sides is with the front four players.

It used to be coaching the back four in shape and organisation, i believe the next decade will be about the shape and defensive organisation of the front four.

Here's a starter many coaches hate players running the same line, example if Sako goes line Scott Golbourne drives infield.
If Golbourne goes line, Sako drives in field, look and see if this happens during Wolves games, do the flank players work on opposites,
which then opens up more passing options.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:58 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Give us your perceptions of coaching, how you view the game, what you would like to do regards individual player development, and team organization.

What inspires you to be a coach, what would you do different.?

My focus at the moment, what intrigues me, where I would look to improve sides is with the front four players.

It used to be coaching the back four in shape and organisation, i believe the next decade will be about the shape and defensive organisation of the front four.

Here's a starter many coaches hate players running the same line, example if Sako goes line Scott Golbourne drives infield.
If Golbourne goes line, Sako drives in field, look and see if this happens during Wolves games, do the flank players work on opposites,
which then opens up more passing options.

And conversely, if Henry holds the flank, Doherty/Ricketts drives inside. I did like that combination last season

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:12 pm 
Manager
Manager

To add another spoke to the wheel...

A lot of people I've met complete their Uni course and then end up doing something completely different.

I studied Modern History and Journalism and didn't really like it.

I now work in the Supply Chain department at One Stop head office, as a DC Stock Controller. I.E I get the stock into the DCs.

Nothing to do with History or Journalism and I bloody love it.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

toomb wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
[color=#FF0000]Those who can do, do. Those who can't do, teach.

Been said in plenty of staffrooms in my time, Tom.

People who are aware of their limitations are much better to have around than those who aren't. 8)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:32 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

SELWolf wrote:
toomb wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
[color=#FF0000]Those who can do, do. Those who can't do, teach.

Been said in plenty of staffrooms in my time, Tom.

People who are aware of their limitations are much better to have around than those who aren't. 8)

Success has many fathers.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:25 am 
Manager
Manager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nuWHtWToXw

I would ask any coach of any sport to watch this fight, then think deeply about it.

Both have high skills many of the same skills and within the fight both change roles, one becomes the aggressor then the other.
What wins the fight in the end is mentality, without that winning mentality all else is lost. Counts for nothing.
Study the fight then open up your mind.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
What wins the fight in the end is mentality, without that winning mentality all else is lost. Counts for nothing.
Study the fight then open up your mind.

I thought that coaches didn't set great store in the winning bit. Hence the results of pre-season friendlies counted for nothing.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:44 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I wonder if the coaches of Costa,Cahill and Adam Johnson reckon that they did well over the weekend?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:51 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

For what its worth, most people don't overly enjoy the first year at uni. I didn't enjoy the course part (the uni football i loved). But 2nd and 3rd year get alot better as the content usually goes beyond the introduction stuff. I loved year 2 & 3 and went on to do a Masters, now Im doing a PhD. I guess what Im saying is dont judge uni on your first year as a lot of people dont overly enjoy it.

The advice on here is good with regards to give coaching a go alongside uni and see how it goes/ if you like it. I have a friend or two that have done their first coaching badges and coach/ manage some under 8s and 9s teams. That might not be a bad idea alongside uni? Then if you are sure you like it look to do the next badge and step the level of time on it up?

Hope that helps anyway

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:14 pm 
Manager
Manager

Wise words NW 8)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:11 pm 
Manager
Manager

Northants_Wolf wrote:
For what its worth, most people don't overly enjoy the first year at uni. I didn't enjoy the course part...But 2nd and 3rd year get a lot better as the content usually goes beyond the introduction stuff. I loved year 2 & 3...

A lot of folk would go along with this; I certainly would and likewise a few of my friends at the time would agree. For a fair few, the first couple of months can be very difficult and out of those a several jack the course in for various personal reasons as well as those who either aren't up to the standard or those who know they've chosen the wrong course...and this happens every year without fail. Both my daughter and her boyfriend (first year undergrads) have school friends who have changed their respective courses this last term and they also know school friends who have come home - a very expensive error in this day and age.

Your comment, Dan, about changing course etc went over my head - sorry about that. My advice at this stage would be to hang on in there and get the qualification at something you're good at but without necessarily taking accountancy up as a career; you can use your qualification for all sorts of things after uni - it's having the degree that counts.

As for the football blog perusal side, my suggestion would be to not let that become an obsession which will then affect your studies. If you could get involved with the uni football team to help in some capacity alongside the coach (but without interferring with what he does) and learn a skill set from him you might find an opportunity to pursue that interest at a later stage and at least you'll have added to your experience in the field. Everyone needs some voluntary help from time to time and you get nowhere without asking so go and make some enquiries. :wink:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:17 pm 
First XI
First XI

Football scouting is just as much about numbers nowadays. Beauty is no longer in the eye of the observer as it once was.

I have a scouting spreadsheet on every single player in the Premier League from last season. It is entirely statistical. Everything from number of headers attempted, shots taken, which foot they shoot with. It's big business and took all season to compile, this kind of task is worth money in the right hands. I'll send it over if you'd like to see it.

Similarly, you might like to research into roles as an odds compiler. It's not entirely based on your ability with numbers, but it's a big part and an accountancy degree of a good level is certainly a foot onto the ladder. That enables you to study football and all the angles taken to win a football match.

I guess the point I'm making is that football is not as abstract as it used to be and a mathematical edge on the game can be quite worthwhile.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:18 pm 
First XI
First XI

Uni is the greatest time of your life. So much spare time, so little pressure. Treasure it.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

Slightly off topic but in relation to Seyis posts about stats.
Was watchin SSN at about 1 in the morning, Gary Nevilles analysis on De Gea's shot stopping, his parrying in particular.
Said he had stone wrists in past seasons, pushed a lot of shots out, strikers scored rebounds.
This season, taking more balls in, more composed, pushing them away from danger.

The straight after SSN did a little stat on his % of shots saved each season.

I sat thinking, thats a pointless stat after everything Neville has just talked about, its how he is saving the shots that has been important.

Seyi, I would quite like to see that spreadsheet you were talking about if you dont mind.

At Hull, Richard Garcia's prozone stats were absolutely terrible, yet it was his influence that was important. His presence, commitment etc, things that can impact on other players around you, get fans gee'd up. Im not sure im a massive fan of stats myself. They interest me, but can be easily manipulated to suit an argument, IMO.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:47 am 
First XI
First XI

Here's that spreadsheet for anyone interested. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xFLyS2BU5e-W4e7SomFn_8JtqM93Z_eiTdEeH32cy9M/edit#gid=0

It's not my work, I'm not fond of the formatting but the stats are reliable.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

Wonder why Fletcher doesn't get a mention?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:15 pm 
First XI
First XI

He does, row 478.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:01 pm 
Manager
Manager

Seyi Olofinjana wrote:
He does, row 478.

Right, cheers. One goal from ten.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat