Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Share On:

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:29 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Tactical blindspot.

I have one, and as a kid I tried to model my game on this type of player, feature within a game.

Martin Peters, his role, arriving late in the box into space when the opponents focus is on the striker.

I used to get pissed off with Bryan Robson when playing for England because I thought continental sides dominated England through superior numbers in centre field.

David Platt another one, then Dave Edwards at Wolves and Morgan Gibbs White for England.

I thought Gibbs White was making forward runs far to early for England leaving holes which prevented play into the striker.
Didn't see him involved much, and my mind just doesn't find that acceptable.. I need to better educate myself on this role.

Do you have a tactical blindspot?

That's not really MGW's natural position though is it? He's normally a central midfielder, rather than a 10. Not surprising that he hasn't necessarily gotten the tactical requirements for that role nailed down

I write about Wolves

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:13 am 
Manager
Manager

toomb wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
Tactical blindspot.

I have one, and as a kid I tried to model my game on this type of player, feature within a game.

Martin Peters, his role, arriving late in the box into space when the opponents focus is on the striker.

I used to get pissed off with Bryan Robson when playing for England because I thought continental sides dominated England through superior numbers in centre field.

David Platt another one, then Dave Edwards at Wolves and Morgan Gibbs White for England.

I thought Gibbs White was making forward runs far to early for England leaving holes which prevented play into the striker.
Didn't see him involved much, and my mind just doesn't find that acceptable.. I need to better educate myself on this role.

Do you have a tactical blindspot?

That's not really MGW's natural position though is it? He's normally a central midfielder, rather than a 10. Not surprising that he hasn't necessarily gotten the tactical requirements for that role nailed down

I accept that the player was playing to instruction and its my blind spot that fails to recognise the importance of that role.
The coaches have all the data and must be reasonably pleased with his contribution so its obviously something I'm missing tactically.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:40 am 
Manager
Manager

Here's a good piece on positional play as used by Englands younger sides.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2017/jan/24/t ... ges-240117

“Our game plan, which is used in meetings before a game and is up on the wall in the dressing room, has both our formation and the opposition’s on and we will split the pitch into different lanes as visual reference points. It helps the players get an idea of where they might be at certain times in the game,” explains Micciche.

“It’s not a case that one player is always in a particular lane, it doesn’t matter who it is, but it is important to the way we play to occupy the pitch. It’s a way of helping develop positional understanding.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:52 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Little update on myself, studying sports science at university, got my level 2 and work voluntary as an analysis for a professional academy, Hopfully end up with 2 years working in an "elite environment" by the time i finish my degree, then do a masters in sports analysis.

Want a career in football, attacking it from an analysis side and looking to then gain the knowable, skills and most importantly the contacts to move around into different positions.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:12 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Dan G WWFC wrote:
Little update on myself, studying sports science at university, got my level 2 and work voluntary as an analysis for a professional academy, Hopfully end up with 2 years working in an "elite environment" by the time i finish my degree, then do a masters in sports analysis.

Want a career in football, attacking it from an analysis side and looking to then gain the knowable, skills and most importantly the contacts to move around into different positions.

Are you happy Dan?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:04 am 
Manager
Manager

Dan G WWFC wrote:

The better you understand the complexity the more doors open for you.

There are hundreds of thousands of coaches capable of working on individual player development.

Understanding and developing patterns and combinations is where its at.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

Make sure you do a good line in bullshit as well. It seems to work wonders in the football industry.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
Make sure you do a good line in bullshit as well. It seems to work wonders in the football industry.

Oh yes, I could tell you some stories of dressing room and training ground shenanigans.

But these diamond geezers are getting found out more and more especially at the highest levels due to the advent of sports science and analysis.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:32 am 
Manager
Manager

Just taking one key aspect of the England vs Germany game.

When German players move and link together between the lines they do so with a relaxed confident ease, its become second nature.

When England receive between the lines with some players its like they have entered a forbidden zone.

To move forward they have to find that same belief and comfort with the ball in those tight spaces.

The technical quality is there, now to find a matching mindset.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

Here's a simple one.

Wolves need to play more one and two touch in the opponents half, pass with awareness.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

Heybridge FC fully accept that today's encroachment onto the field of play by coach Jon Dixon and his subsequent slide tackle to prevent an opposition counter attack has no place in today's game. It was illegal, unsporting and we apologise for ever having described it as heroic.

Heybridge Gardens FC.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:19 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Dan G WWFC wrote:

Do you PLAY the game at all Dan,if so,do you apply your knowledge to your game ?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:01 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

wolfrunna wrote:
Dan G WWFC wrote:

Do you PLAY the game at all Dan,if so,do you apply your knowledge to your game ?

I don't, a pair of dodgy knees mean if I play I can barely walk up and down stairs. And I'm only 22. Probably going to have to have knee replacments like my Mom and Nan at some point.

But if I ever play in the odd kick about, I find that the more I think the worse technically I play and try things that I want to happen instead of whats happening.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:09 am 
Manager
Manager

Cyrille Regis.

Sometimes someone you respect does something to confirm your own views, or creates another view.

When Cyrille was younger he enjoyed going to watch his own son playing, from under 10 then through the teenage years.

Cyrille would stand quietly 10 to 15 yards back from the touchline.

There was an obvious lesson there for the other parents, ranting and yelling at the young children.

The truth is kids have to be allowed to work things out for themselves.

Thankyou Cyrille Regis.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:33 am 
Manager
Manager

Coaching a Benik Afobe.

There are coaches out there who would just plonk him up top playing off the shoulder of the opponents centre back. Reliant on a players natural strengths and instincts.

Not much to that kind of coaching, you just work on awareness then finishing drills.

But the better coach, here's looking at you Nuno looks at various attributes and thinks how can I use them within my well oiled system.

THE ABILITY TO RUN THROUGH THE FIELD WITH AND WITHOUT THE BALL AT SPEED.

With that ability established within his game how can I get Benik on the ball with space to run through.

First by working on him facing the opposition goal as much as possible.

The key to a good Benik Afobe is getting him running, to often at Bournemouth he was standing still and waiting.
Over to you Nuno, produce a running man, and it might not be through the centre.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat