Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Share On:

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:55 am 
Manager
Manager

Where does the knowledge start, where does it begin and end. When does the professional coach know more than the sunday league coach.

We have witnessed this past week a non league club reaching the quarter final of the FA Cup.

Why weren't their coaches found out, why didn't Burnley with all their professional thinking work them out.

If asked many Wolves fans would say yes to Sean Dyche should he become available to become the Wolves manager.

So how come a non league coach supported by his brother having tactical instructions passed down from their Father in the stand defeat this greater knowledge.

Whats the truth.

Tactically who would notice the difference, whats the truth of it.

Here's what I think.

How they set up both sides, pretty basic stuff, both sides.

Coaching as laid down on most coaching courses throughout the country.

Trust me THOUSANDS can do it.

But what did both sides do to create a competitive match because Burnley didn't lower their standards they just played to them.
Lincoln what did they do extra, I would guess they ran more, concentrated more and fell back into a well coached defensive shape a little quicker than normal.

What Burnley and Lincoln both do well and I have told this to coaches through every decade is DO THE BASICS CONSISTENTLY.

OK the better coaches have all those basics in place then impart thier own personality onto the system,
You can always tell a Pep side there are trademark patterns, same with Athletico Madrid and Chelsea, the patterns remain the same.

So lets look at Wolves at the moment and study the basics and from that you find out whats missing.
The biggie as has been the case for many a season, I guess you could go back to the days of Hoddle to see the last cohesive coaching plan.
Trouble is with Hoiddle he required extra fit players who would burn out trying to play his system or the other option play with twelve players.

Paul Lambert, No where man at the moment apart from that basic recovery at speed to a defensive shape and screen.

I guess there were elements of that Monaco performance at Man City that will trigger his brain.

But does Paul Lambert have the brain that understands the detail and the where with all to place those thoughts into practice.

Is Paul Lambert a better coach than those School teachers who were working with Concord, how do YOU tell?

If team culture is weak losing divides the team. If team culture is strong, losing creates the hunger to win again. Either way culture rules.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:08 am 
Manager
Manager

The one key thing a coach cant do is make the decision for the player in the moment.

That has to come from the reps in training.

We saw last night George Saville thirty five yards from goal on the ball with four or five options forward of him.

Now if you do the reps, the combination plays during training you start learning to process the information faster.

Thats what made Barcelona great over the years, the ability to process instantly and deliver a technically correct pass.

Its when players do this kind of stuff correctly time after time that you know they have practiced their craft and combinations endlessly on the training ground.

And what did George Saville do, he blazed wide, he never gave himself time to process his options.
Now thats partly poor coaching and partly a player who was let go because he didn't apply himself to develop his in game capability.

If team culture is weak losing divides the team. If team culture is strong, losing creates the hunger to win again. Either way culture rules.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:42 am 
Manager
Manager

If you watch the West Brom vs Palace highlights and see the Andros Townsend goal you see why Paul Lambert doesn't play Saiss and Price in the same team.

West Broms raw teenage winger hadn't got a clue about his teams lack of structure and athletic capabilities when he isolated himself on the right flank.

Lose the ball there and his team were wide open on transition to the opposition having a goal attempt.

Note the West Brom midfield players vain attempts to recover defensive positions which they couldn't because Pulis was going for footballers over runners through his 4, 8 and 10 positions.

Wolves wouldn't concede that type of goal because Coady and Edwards for all their limitations make those recovery runs easily.

There's always a trade off based on your own philosophy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O_31tFS7Jg

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:53 am 
Manager
Manager

know this is a coaching thread, but how about refereeing?

They are screaming out for good Refs, and so long as age is on your side you could be refereeing at a fairly high level in a few years. Not sure about money/wages etc tho

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:33 am 
Manager
Manager

Knocker..what's the deal with Pep, right or wrong, he singles out Hart before a ball is kicked, this season, but doesn't seem to pick and coach a back 4, or learn from the mistakes he makes.

Surely he got it wrong last night..he opted to start with only Fernandinho in the middle of the park against the aggressive and youthful French side.
He played, five attack-minded players in front of the Brazilian midfielder, while Yaya Toure was left on the bench?

I know this is possibly the "worst" side he has ever managed, but neither his signings or coaching seem to be working?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:23 am 
Manager
Manager

I think its nigh on impossible for Pep to get anywhere near what he can achieve in Spain, Germany or Italy because he will never find a core of English players with a collective tactical mindset.
Which has to be developed through the youth schemes into the first team.

So he will eventually feel like Vincent Van Gogh wanting to slice his face apart.

Best option go to somewhere like Dortmund and buy up their best 6 under 21 year olds and transport them back to Manchester.

The keeper theory dates back to Rinus Michels and Jan Jongbloed 1974, Jongbloed had been a good footballer during his youth.
I agree with Pep on this one.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:05 am 
Manager
Manager

You know sometimes its a player that defines tactical thinking, and this is such a time within the English game.

What Chelsea have with Kante and how he adds the extra player, himself to the mix with and without he ball will change attitudes and thinking.

What he does naturally other clubs will have to do tactically to catch up.

Conte was smart to go three at the back because smart movement between the lines gives them overloads without really thinking about it.

In Europe what will the better sides do Real Madrid and Bayern, up the tempo and keep switching the play from side to side.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:19 pm 
Manager
Manager

Jan Jongbloed or...Gyula Grosics (who missed the Wolves game)

I don't remember Jan being a great keeper?? Although I could be wrong.
I also don't buy into this sweeper-keeper.

The point I was making was if he saw a problem with Hart why didn't he see a problem with the back 4.
City are possibly a worst side than last year..
Is Pep a good manager/coach or do the players that he had before just make him look good??

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:43 am 
Manager
Manager

CANNOCK WOLF wrote:
Jan Jongbloed or...Gyula Grosics (who missed the Wolves game)

I don't remember Jan being a great keeper?? Although I could be wrong.
I also don't buy into this sweeper-keeper.

The point I was making was if he saw a problem with Hart why didn't he see a problem with the back 4.
City are possibly a worst side than last year..
Is Pep a good manager/coach or do the players that he had before just make him look good??

For people like me Pep turning up in England is like a Papal visit because he is a visionary who challenges himself and his players to think differently.
Without him the best player in the world wouldn't have developed in the same way and many others wouldn't be looked on as World class.
He doesn't think keeper and back four he thinks whats the most effective team process in any particular moment.
For Pep those closest to the ball are his key defenders thats why the likes of Sergio Agüero feel his wrath more than a centre back.
Aggressive closing down from the front, good decision making at all times to put pressure on the opponent continually with and without the ball.

He doesn't think in units like back four he always thinks in the collective.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:44 pm 
Manager
Manager

For me..is Pep a good manager or just a good manager of good players?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:01 am 
Manager
Manager

CANNOCK WOLF wrote:
For me..is Pep a good manager or just a good manager of good players?

Pep is a teacher so in that respect Pep is more coach than manager and a better teacher when working with better students because they make fewer mistakes and are more receptive to fresh thoughts.
All the good coaches will tell you the better the player the easier this coaching lark gets.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:17 am 
Manager
Manager

Watch Swansea now that Clement has had time to drill them on the training field.

He has installed a fairly basic system, not that difficult to coach or for the players to understand.

In fact if your a half decent semi professional side you could coach the same system.

What it is is a 4-1-4-1 which can move into a 4-4-2.

Without the ball that player in front of the back four can press the ball if the opponents have created space on the ball or an overload.
He can go to the danger.

But the key part is if one of the four in front go and press by himself he just slots into the space left behind.

By doing this effectively you retain your compact lines and don't get dragged apart.

Swansea now have a solid base from which to extract points. Simplicity.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:28 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Hope Clement does well, need more good English managers at the top level. Would be nice if the likes of Howe, Dyche etc. would get a crack at a bigger club rather than the same old random foreign retreads.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:13 am 
Manager
Manager

THE BIG BAD WOLF wrote:
Hope Clement does well, need more good English managers at the top level. Would be nice if the likes of Howe, Dyche etc. would get a crack at a bigger club rather than the same old random foreign retreads.

Not sure which English coaches have the imagination to go with their organisational skills to make that leap into the higher clubs. Time will tell.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:37 am 
Manager
Manager

Using your home advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aThb7mEXqEI

Note how the grass has been cut, each zone is about ten metres wide through the field.

I saw pictures of the training ground pitch marked exactly the same.

Rather than watch the ball during those highlights, watch the players movement between those zones.
Usually playing off five lines, the players were trying to have only two or three maximum in each zone.

That helps spacing, reduces bunching and helps create forward passing options.

The product of smart work on the training field, good stuff Steve Holland/Gareth Southgate.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:59 am 
Manager
Manager

This could apply to Wolves.

If you see a Pep team sheet you often wonder how does so and so fit into that, and get confused.

The three winger theory.

Pep will use THREE wingers behind a striker.

They rotate by one constant pattern, try this Wolves.

Ball in left side of defense.

The left winger drops deep, giving the opposition fullback a decision to make.

By moving off his team mates movement the central winger/player moves into the left wing position.

The right winger moves central.

If the ball goes up the other flank reverse it.

Simple and effective, done right you create good spacing between players and a passing route without big distances between players.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:01 am 
Manager
Manager

Getting a player to step in your direction.

Against Forest Dave Edwards stepping in my direction, he adjusted his game to something approaching my mindset. He was nearly passable to my eyes.

You see for me Dave Edwards is the worst Wolves signing in history because he fails to fit into any pattern of play but exists within his own game plan.

He;s like those drummers of yore going off on a ten minute solo.

Thats never been for me, because even one player doing things out of kilter to the team disrupts everything.
I imagine a Swiss watch, all hand made with perfect timing, then you add Edwards a great big heap of jam right into the centre piece.

So I can never accept Paul Lambert because of selecting this outside pieces, and thats a shame because he may be closer than most of the others.

Back to Edwards against Forest, he played for the team, passed it well, with economy and gave a measured display supporting as well as running ahead of the ball.

Thats a six point five out of ten display in my eyes, his highest of the season.

I would still fuck him off in the summer mind, he just views the game with totally different eyes.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:05 am 
Manager
Manager

Creating an external advantage.

I might be completely wrong here but just listening to reports and watching the highlights I think Bristol pulled a trick on Wolves.

Its what Barcelona did to PSG, its what they do at the US Masters to make those greens so fast and unforgiving.
They cut the grass to the bone on the morning before the play and then over water it to create an extra fast green or pitch.

If you have the knowledge that the pitch will be prepared like that you practice on the same surface.
I doubt the Wolves trained on an over watered pitch cut so fine.

You become sure of your feet and footware and sure of your weight of pass.

The best half time talk for Paul Lambert yesterday could have been in the referees ear.
Dont let them fuckers water it again.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:30 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:

I might be completely wrong here but just listening to reports and watching the highlights I think Bristol pulled a trick on Wolves.

Its what Barcelona did to PSG, its what they do at the US Masters to make those greens so fast and unforgiving.
They cut the grass to the bone on the morning before the play and then over water it to create an extra fast green or pitch.

If you have the knowledge that the pitch will be prepared like that you practice on the same surface.

The best half time talk for Paul Lambert yesterday could have been in the referees ear.

I heard a few minutes commentary on Signal yesterday when I was driving between places and they were saying that Marshall kept slipping and needed to sort out his studs and they also mentioned the excessive watering. An old trick from Major Frank Buckley wasn't it?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:46 am 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I heard a few minutes commentary on Signal yesterday when I was driving between places and they were saying that Marshall kept slipping and needed to sort out his studs and they also mentioned the excessive watering. An old trick from Major Frank Buckley wasn't it?

There should be no excuses from Wolves, individual players and kit man.

They arrive an hour and a half before kick off and the first thing you sort is length and type of stud, no excuses.
Any player not preparing properly is not being professional and cant be accepted.

What were there over 2000 Wolves fans taking their time and hard earned into the day. You cant let them down, unacceptable standards.
Dont let it happen again, get out on that pitch and do real time turning with and without the ball an hour before it matters.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:04 am 
Manager
Manager

You know the old argument about how much football knowledge a person has and then what out of that knowledge applies to football management.

Playing or watching, whats more important?

My truth as I see it, some players can play the game at any level for a decade or two and never know the game.

In fact the joy of the game is doing much of the game as it happens instinctively, as they did as a child when just enjoying play with their mates in the street or park.

For maybe 80% of kids there is no analysis, just a time to go out and enjoy playing the game.

They want to win, they want to play well, they dont want time to fly because they dont want to go home.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:32 am 
Manager
Manager

Why is it easy to be a pundit stroke Critic of anyones work.

Applied to football, how come pundits no matter how good or bad dont become managers.

One key reason, the difference between a design engineer and a mechanic.

Who gets the high pay grade?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:24 am 
Manager
Manager

Mentality, and this is just a generalisation.

When Arsene Wenger first came to England he found a different mentality, remember.

He found English footballers and managers who treated football as a game.

People who were just lucky enough to have been blessed with enough natural ability to play at the very highest level.

But it was just a GAME, even though their lives of themselves and their family depended on this income to live a highly comfortable life.

The English had hardly changed for decades, possibly never had changed throughout the passage of time.
Training was just something to see out through the week, not really mattering much in the grand scheme of things.
Two sessions 10 till twelve, tuesday and thursday.

Players at Arsenal called Tuesday night, lash night.

Because Wednesday was a day off it was the time for heavy drinking.
Highlight of the week for even Internationals such as Merson and Adams.

But Wenger changed the mentality slightly, he lead them in a different direction.

And found something, he found the English nature was very much like the Japanese.

Subservient to a large extent, as with military battle, they followed blindly. As you can see with politics today as the English question very little

Wenger said If I asked English or Japanese players to run head first into a wall, they do it, shake themselves down and wait to be asked to do it again.
Seldom questioning authority.

If he asked the same of a French player, they think first, ask questions second and say you go first.

Maybe that why Englishmen lose very few military battles, they place faith in authority. usually to their own cost.
The Frenchman asks you to show him first.

Mentality, and now with a globalised game how to merge those mentalities.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:48 am 
Manager
Manager

This is important.

Dont take things for granted when you speak to players.

Sometimes a player will not understand how many lines you want to team to play off, I came across this myself when I explained to a group they were moving back to three lines and bunching.

They didn't get it, they didn't grasp it.

Its important that you explain how to open up the passing angles and the passing distances and how important support play is by playing off five or more lines.

This is far more important than formations.

Master the lines, master the numbers required on each line Dependant on the balls position.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:31 am 
Manager
Manager

Here's one for pre season.

During a friendly game add one or more players to your midfield than your opponents.

Keep the ball in the centre of the field, 15 yards either side of halfway.

You get yourself fit as you try and create space for the next pass, you learn the value of patience.

You take advantage of your opponents when they tire of closing you down.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:42 am 
Manager
Manager

Its nice when you can create a new pathway into football.

You see Wolves adding Darius Vassell to its coaching staff, well Darius like me has a lot of time for Romulus football club.

In particular its youth development.

So now if at first your not quite good enough or maybe a little small perhaps you can get a start within non league.

Do well at a club like Romulus, Sutton Coldfield and Wolves will come calling.

Likewise if your a young coach looking to make your mark, get into a club like Romulus and your talents will become known.

Good progression Wolves, good progression.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:39 am 
Manager
Manager

You know when your watching a game but dont quite understand the tactic, The WHY?

THREE AT THE BACK.

What a good coach wont like if he's watching from the touchline with his centre backs in a conventional TWO is this one key point.

HOW OFTEN ARE THEY SPLIT APART. when the opponents have the ball.

Thats biblical in its importance.

You would always underestimate how many chances are created by moving and splitting the centre backs.

Just watch an goals highlights package, look at the centre backs positions, they wont be correct, they more often than not will be split.

But why THREE rather than Two.

Because teams predominantly set up without fixed wide players, so you no longer require fixed full backs.

Players now travel into those wide positions, fixed players in wide positions are modern day luxuries teams cant afford.

So now in times of need a centre back travels into the wide position. From a three thats comfortable, in a two its high risk.

LOOK OUT FOR SPLIT CENTRE BACKS, IN A TWO thats courting danger.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:10 am 
Manager
Manager

Just an observation on the Wolves yesterday.

I wouldn't be surprised if both Miranda and Boly switched sides in the future. Both look at ease on the inside foot.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:59 pm 
Manager
Manager

That's a typical KK observation, you see things some will never see, me I can only see the basics.

Miranda needs to learn not to give too many fouls away, and not collect the bookings that goes with them.
I wasn't "blown" away by either yesterday, Boly will do better because of his strength, again IMO Miranda may struggle physically.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 am 
Manager
Manager

CANNOCK WOLF wrote:
That's a typical KK observation, you see things some will never see, me I can only see the basics.

Miranda needs to learn not to give too many fouls away, and not collect the bookings that goes with them.
I wasn't "blown" away by either yesterday, Boly will do better because of his strength, again IMO Miranda may struggle physically.

I thought Boly had to move to far to the left far to often to compensate for how our front three failed to prevent the ball going into Christie as the game wore on.

The trigger for the early press seems to be when the opposition full backs get on the ball, but only when deepish.
Boro were able after time to go through the centre then out to the right, something Nuno wont be pleased with.
Though he will be pleased how his players shut out Brathwaite.

He may look at Dicko in a defensive respect to play against Derby because he would shut the space down and make it easier to get at Wisdom with other players when he gets on the ball.

Wisdom not as good on the ball as Christie which could play into Wolves hands.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat