Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat

Share On:

Post subject: England 4-3-3.
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:48 am 
Manager
Manager

To start off with I thought England were set up well last night and if there was a downside it was down to the individual players themselves.
Within the framework of a 4-3-3 you can look to play in many ways it does open up the pitch for the individual to showcase ability.
The midfield was interesting, good performances, clever performances, tidy performances from all three.
What I would have liked is more movement from the central striker into midfield, linking the midfield from back to front.
When that striker comes deep more lateral movement from the wide strikers, they do tend to run forward into a flat forward line at times, then just wait.

You just can't do that against the better sides, they will contain you then break on you in transition.

Its pretty embryonic though England can work hard when coaching this system going forward, learning how to create attacking options from those forward right and left positions.

If you look at the referees positioning last night, I thought Rooney should have been occupying much of the same positions, not standing up front trying to break records.

Well done Roy, you created a good platform.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: England 4-3-3.
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:54 am 
First XI
First XI

I'm really curious how often Roy has to prove the 'defensive minded, plays it safe' misconception wrong before people stop believing it. The media really do a great job of whipping idiots into a frenzy over England.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:07 am 
Manager
Manager

Seyi Olofinjana wrote:
I'm really curious how often Roy has to prove the 'defensive minded, plays it safe' misconception wrong before people stop believing it. The media really do a great job of whipping idiots into a frenzy over England.

I hardly ever listen to football pundits or sports journos because generally its purgatory and they dont do tactics very well, i just find our own thoughts are better.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:15 am 
First XI
First XI

As I've said on here before, Welbeck as been brilliant for England under Roy. He's crucial in these games because he's so direct and is always positive. Yet Hoddle, Wright and Dixon spent the pre-match chat criticising Roy for not starting Kane. Then at half-time when Welbeck had played very well (and eventually got man of the match) they were strangely silent on the matter. Hoddle should definitely know better given that he's faced this kind of misinformed scrutiny before.

I would say the situation worked out perfectly for just about everyone, Kane included last night.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:27 am 
Manager
Manager

Seyi Olofinjana wrote:
As I've said on here before, Welbeck as been brilliant for England under Roy. He's crucial in these games because he's so direct and is always positive. Yet Hoddle, Wright and Dixon spent the pre-match chat criticising Roy for not starting Kane. Then at half-time when Welbeck had played very well (and eventually got man of the match) they were strangely silent on the matter. Hoddle should definitely know better given that he's faced this kind of misinformed scrutiny before.

I would say the situation worked out perfectly for just about everyone, Kane included last night.

You have to feel pleased with Harry Kane, here's a thought though if Roberto Soldado had scored goals at Spurs would he have been given Premier league opportunity.

Hoddle for me cant link his thoughts into a progressive tactical system, some of his theory is full of holes, always has been.
I didn't listen to him last might, i think i gained by not doing so.
England can't ever be a Barcelona, technically to receive on the half turn while running at speed is still an alien concept.
England shouldn't study the tapes of the masters of the short game but build on the honest athletic qualities they have in abundance.
On the continent its slower because its hotter, its top of the ground football from age five upwards.
Thats not England, this is a nation of awful weather on a remote northern part of Europe, the play and style has to reflect that.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:07 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

England did well, but against such pitiful opposition, it was always going to be very easy. We usually see how good teams are when they play the best countries in the major competitions. England could not have been put in an easier group, so I will reserve judgement until we play against a decent opponent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRKBAmir50

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:47 am 
Manager
Manager

All this shit about Sherwood being the "making" of Kane is doing my head in..
Spurs were ready to let him go, and if Adebayor and Saldado had scored, Kane would be in the championship..KJ got the best out of him (and Mason) in his loan spells

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:26 am 
Manager
Manager

CANNOCK WOLF wrote:
All this shit about Sherwood being the "making" of Kane is doing my head in..
Spurs were ready to let him go, and if Adebayor and Saldado had scored, Kane would be in the championship..KJ got the best out of him (and Mason) in his loan spells

Of the front nine England squad, Kenny Jackett has had three on loan including Andros Townsend.

I'm not sure he got the best out of Harry Kane but he certainly gave him an opportunity.

With reference to Spurs at the time they were looking for a new striker, is there a break down in communication between development coach and first team coach.

How can the Harry Kane's of this world break through if the first thought is to buy the supposed finished article.

If I was the Spurs chairman I would ask serious questions about the structure and promotion within it.
It could happen again, at youth level Spurs have a sensational talented striker who requires a pathway into the first team.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:56 am 
Manager
Manager

Watching the England under 21s vs Germany what was more enjoyable than the result was the quality of performance.
It was nice to see young players capable of good combination play in and around the opponents final third.
England had variety going forward and tried to play through Germany with intelligent heads up football, the Germans were reduced to going down the sides.

Bodes well for the future, the Premier league demands players who can play short under pressure and maneuver themselves into good chance creation situations.

For decades England have rushed from one end to the other with three or four passes as though there was a time limit on each attack.
Finally we watch and learn the art of combination play rather than be over reliant on individual quality.
Well done Gareth Southgate.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:43 am 
Manager
Manager

You've got a friend in me must have been the song Roy was singing to Antonio Conte in Turin.

The England selection first half was so poor that you thought has this game been stage managed by these managers to keep the Wolfs at bay.

England started the game with THREE footballers then supplemented them with good honest athletic runners, a totally unbalanced selection.

The three Gibbs, Delph and Rooney, you need far more than that, and this piss poor Italian side, one of their worst ever should have been well clear by half time.

Things changed when Carrick added brains to the field, what the hell was that experiment about Phil Jones, the lad was lost, running about like a small boy looking for his mother.
Roy, don't do that again mate, the press will have easy ammunition.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
You've got a friend in me must have been the song Roy was singing to Antonio Conte in Turin.

The England selection first half was so poor that you thought has this game been stage managed by these managers to keep the Wolfs at bay.

England started the game with THREE footballers then supplemented them with good honest athletic runners, a totally unbalanced selection.

The three Gibbs, Delph and Rooney, you need far more than that, and this piss poor Italian side, one of their worst ever should have been well clear by half time.

Things changed when Carrick added brains to the field, what the hell was that experiment about Phil Jones, the lad was lost, running about like a small boy looking for his mother.

Knocker.......you got it spot on!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:04 am 
Manager
Manager

lucca wolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Knocker.......you got it spot on!

Good to see you posting in Football Chat Lucca, its where its at.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:47 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Good to see you posting in Football Chat Lucca, its where its at.

It certainly is if you are a sagger makers bottom - Knocker.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:30 am 
Manager
Manager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXWq34X ... e=youtu.be

Interpretation of 4-3-3 With Rotational Movement

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:30 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Phil Jones was poor in the first half, but why play him in midfield? One of the problems is that as soon as we play against the better nations, we became to cautious. We need more belief in ourselves, and to play players in their best position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trRKBAmir50

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:38 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I agree with Wayne, scandalous Carrick hasn't played more, too much shoehorning.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

Good old Roy we've come on leaps and bounds in a year since the world cup :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:54 am 
Manager
Manager

If you break this Ireland vs England down analytically you find pretty much the majority of the reasons British coaching lags behind at world level.

Just think back to the previous evening when watching Barcelona vs Juventus.

When pressed both these giants trusted their capable defenders to retain a calm nature and pass forward balls past the pressing players.

Note the difference with English players.

Non were calm or comfortable on the ball though they tried had not to display their internal panic.

When pressed by an enthusiastic Ireland strikeforce they did exactly the wrong think both technically and tactically.
Passed sideways and backwards until the keeper hyked it up field rather than change the angles and pass forward past the pressers.

By going sideways and backwards they fuelled the Irish enthusiasm, which never faltered throughout.
By doing the opposite by passing past them you make them turn and run backwards, taking away their enthusiasm.

Some of these basics are just that, the English decease within coaching was on full display for any continental viewers.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:20 am 
Manager
Manager

Slovenia vs England.
Saw the match but didn't watch it, house full and I had a bad seat.

One observation why does a seasoned pro like Gary Cahill make such a bad decision at such a crucial moment.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:26 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I dont think Cahill trusts his England CB partners, and ends up trying to do both CB roles at once, but ends up not doing his own. Theres no excuse as to why he didnt cover round the back of Smalling, and why Smalling got attracted to the ball in the first place is a big issue too.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:10 am 
Manager
Manager

Rowley Wolf wrote:
I dont think Cahill trusts his England CB partners, and ends up trying to do both CB roles at once, but ends up not doing his own. Theres no excuse as to why he didnt cover round the back of Smalling, and why Smalling got attracted to the ball in the first place is a big issue too.

As I reached the veteran stage of my footballing career I turned out with fellow veterans, we couldn't run as much so we compensated.

We talked and talked and talked, it was like Chas and Dave on speed.

Not only did it help us cover each other for one reason and another it didn't half fuck up the oppositions confidence.

So we did it more and more, we enjoyed the game rarely did our opponents.

England have to learn such lessons, without constant chatter your pretty much fucked as a team.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:19 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

It took till the 67th minute for Smalling to use his left foot. He was played on the left side. If you are going to play the ball from the back you can't have a player so one footed.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:08 am 
Manager
Manager

England fail to score for the first time in 18 matches as they lose 1-0 to Portugal in their European Under-21 Championship opener.

It didn't surprise me that England failed to score because the Portuguese side are also very highly thought of at this time.

Looking at the England team I would have selected six of the starting eleven, how many would you have selected?

01 Butland
02 Jenkinson
20 Moore
06 Gibson
03 Garbutt
08 Ward-Prowse
14 Chalobah
11 Redmond
10 Carroll
16 Lingard
09 Kane

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:44 am 
First XI
First XI

Dan G WWFC wrote:
It took till the 67th minute for Smalling to use his left foot. He was played on the left side. If you are going to play the ball from the back you can't have a player so one footed.

Smalling brought the ball out from the back very well though.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:22 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Seyi Olofinjana wrote:
Dan G WWFC wrote:

Smalling brought the ball out from the back very well though.

He did, but half of the options he couldn't pass to because he was limiting himself to half the angles. many times he would see the pass but check back and go side ways because he didn't believe he could make the pass on his right but doesn't trust his left.

If i was up against Smailling, as a player or on the touch line. I'd pick him out.

Make him the one that gets the ball, when he is coming out with it, thats the trigger to press, force him onto his left foot. Like what Dortmund did to Munich a few years ago with Dante. What teams to do Liverpool with Sakho.

Another thought, does Townsend do so well for England because smaller countries don't know him that well?

When he comes off the bench they don't know he is always going to come inside and try and shoot. I was once a fan, but he isn't developing like i hop he would. Not learning to make his game improve overall. Just another one trick pony English winger.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:49 am 
Manager
Manager

Kieran Trippier moving to Spurs should enable a late run into the England side for the Euros, its a position of weakness for England at International level.
Good luck Kieran, done it the hard way.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:34 am 
Manager
Manager

England 0-1 Portugal

The Seleção got off to a winning start in their quest to become European U21 champions with a hard-fought 1-0 win over a surprisingly well organised and technically adept young England side, with João Mario's 57th minute winner being the difference between two evenly matched sides.

Meeting in the tidy little Stadion Miroslav Valenty, an 8,000 capacity ground in the city of Uherske Hradiste in South Moravia, home to Czech club Slovacko, the match was seen as an opportunity to see how players young in years but long in experience would fare in tournament football.

With Portugal lining up William Carvalho, João Mario, Raphael Guerreiro and Bernardo Silva and England starting with the prolific Harry Kane of Spurs upfront and the prospect of him being joined by new Liverpool signing Danny Ings later in the game, hopes were high for a quality event.

The two sides lined up thus:

England: Butland, Jenkinson, Moore, Gibson, Garbutt, Carroll, Ward-Prowse, Chalobah, Redmond, Kane, Lingard

Portugal: José Sá, Ricardo Esgaio, Paulo Oliveira, Tiago Ilori, Raphael Guerreiro, William, Sérgio Oliveira, João Mário, Bernardo Silva, Ricardo Pereira, Ivan Cavaleiro

With Italy already defeated by Sweden in the opening game of the tournament, Portugal took nothing for granted, despite having the stronger side on paper. Indeed, it was England that had the better start and by half time had enjoyed the clearest chances to take the lead. There were two that stood out, the first a strong shot from Kane bringing a good save from the hursuite José Sá and the second an effort by Lingard that whistled just wide of the 'keeper's far post.

Despite this, Jack Butland in the England goal was also made to work, with an early one-handed reaction save from Ricardo Esgaio's cross that had been knocked goalwards by defender Moore, particularly important.

The opening exchanges were proving robust, swift and lively.

With Manchester United's Lingard and Norwich City starlet Nathan Redmond showing up well, exchanges in midfield were crisp and fast, England's numbers succeeding in blotting out any attempt at fluidity on the part of the Portuguese middle orders, despite the presence of Silva and Carvalho.
Second-half improvement

With half time bringing a blank scoreline, Portugal had been slightly fortunate not to concede, but an improvement was about to arrive. They could also point to chances of their own, particularly one where João Mario slipped over when well placed inside the box to put Portugal ahead. The right sided face-off between the raiding Esgaio and Everton left-back Luke Garbutt had been one of the most entertaining clashes up to then.

Suddenly - as the second half began - there was more possession, more forward thrust for Portugal and a solid contribution from the hitherto slightly underwhelming William Carvalho. Despite this the first chances once again fell to England with Redmond smacking a shot in from the right wing, which was well saved by Sá, then a freekick by Ward Prowse flew just wide. With England showing up more aggressively, Portugal took the lead.

Having worked their way into the box with Bernardo Silva's trickery proving vital, the little Monaco flier's side foot hit the post and bounced back across the space behind the prone Butland, leaving João Mario with a simple right foot finish to put Portugal one-up.

Soon after a cross shot from Raphael Guerreiro flew past the far post, as Portugal continued to press, infused now with the confidence an opening goal can give.

A rash of substitutions broke up the fluidity of the game somewhat and England's frustration at having let the game slip away began to be more obvious with a number of freekicks and bookings, as the clock ticked by.
Late pressure

With Danny Ings and Will Hughes on, England began to press again towards the end and came close through a suddenly reawakening Kane and Chalobah. Portugal, boosted by the arrival of substitutes Carlos Mané, Rúben Neves and the lively Iuri Medeiros, held on and, but for a couple of late scares as England pressed, saw out the game with relative comfort.

It had been a good test for the young players, with Gareth Southgate's England posing a serious and prolonged threat. However, Rui Jorge's young charges, containing enough big time experience to see them through, managed to dig out a victory from a game that might easily on another occasion have only delivered a single point, leaving them with a fine platform to build on later in the week against an Italy side needing to win, after their own poor start to the tournament

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:42 am 
Manager
Manager

A 5 year deal for Luke Garbutt at Everton. They must think he can overtake Baines in time.

Though a years loan in the Championship next season could serve him well.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:40 am 
First XI
First XI

He's already better than Baines.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

Seyi Olofinjana wrote:
He's already better than Baines.

Maybe so, though Baines impressed me last season as did Coleman.

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat