Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Share On:

Post subject: Re: England 4-3-3.
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

davejonesears wrote:
whelp wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
You see moments of stupidity within the English national side which makes them also rans through any decade.

England lack players who have clear tactical appreciation.

Its impossible for ANY coach to tell every footballer his key responsibilities within the moment.

Here's an example from last night vs Spain.

5 minutes left and winning 2-0.

Your left back for some reason best known to himself finds himself lost on the edge of the Spanish penalty area.
Spain break and when they have the ball on the edge of the English box down that left channel that left back is on the half way line.

Thats a case of just not doing the football basics.

Thats England whatever the generation, don't blame the coach when England players have shit for brains rather than tactical awareness.

both goals came from that left hand side, Creswell didn't exactly hit the ground running...

That said the second goal was easily saveable by the keeper. The ball went through his legs!

Dyer just as much to blame esp. for the second....waltzing around believing he has made it.

If you watch the highlights of Spurs vs West Ham Cresswell loses position again in big moments.
Watch when Harry Kane scores that tap in, in a key moment Cresswell has to move central to combat Kane to prevent a free opportunity.
He didn't because he is positionally brain dead to danger.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:28 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
If you watch the highlights of Spurs vs West Ham Cresswell loses position again in big moments.
Watch when Harry Kane scores that tap in, in a key moment Cresswell has to move central to combat Kane to prevent a free opportunity.

regardless of anything else, if a left back lets that in without being there, who else do you blame?

either he is out of position or his cover is.

www.vwcaddy.com

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:16 am 
Manager
Manager

whelp wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

regardless of anything else, if a left back lets that in without being there, who else do you blame?

either he is out of position or his cover is.

True.

What surprises me with the Premier league and I guess this is a by product of having a hundred nationalities playing within it.
Is the lack of communication which creates very poor judgement every week by defenders within a unit.
Just watching the highlights on MOTD you can see serious poor defending.

The amount of time you see players running off the back of others after a simple one two must frighten the coaches.
Thats a big reason why the German and Spanish leagues come out on top in European competition.
The defensive quality of their play.

In the Premier league the focus falls on buying in the Worlds best attacking talents, maybe the focus should be more defensive understanding and good decision making.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:13 am 
Manager
Manager

"We have to be adaptable as we go through the next 18 months. We need to be able to change quickly within games as well as at the start of games. It's a key skill for us to develop."

Gareth Southgate.

He speaks well, his selections look good and he has a first class coach.

What could possibly go wrong.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:33 am 
Manager
Manager

I Like Southgate, good honest Pro.

i think he was made to jump through far too many hoops to get the England job as well.

from memory wernt 'Boro 2nd in the champ when they sacked him as well?

loved the play against Germany as well, thought we looked sharp & competent.

www.vwcaddy.com

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:35 pm 
First XI
First XI

If UEFA WCQ ended today, here's what UEFA's representatives would look like:

Auto Qualification: France, Switzerland, Germany, Serbia, Poland, England, Spain, Belgium, Croatia

2nd Place teams to 2 leg playoffs (other than worst place runner up): Sweden, Portugal, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Montenegro (worst runner up at the moment), Slovakia, Italy, Greece, Iceland

Notable Omissions: Netherlands, Denmark, Wales, Scotland, Ukraine, Turkey, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Austria, Czech Republic

Will be an interesting second half of qualifying. Several good teams to miss out.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:08 am 
Manager
Manager

whelp wrote:

i think he was made to jump through far too many hoops to get the England job as well.

Just looking at Southgates performance I doubt he could do much more because England looked top notch in their organisation.
The space between players and movement was first class, the only thing missing was sightly higher quality from the players.
Thats good work on the training field in such a short period of time with this squad of players.

England intelligent at last.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:40 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
whelp wrote:

Just looking at Southgates performance I doubt he could do much more because England looked top notch in their organisation.
The space between players and movement was first class, the only thing missing was sightly higher quality from the players.
Thats good work on the training field in such a short period of time with this squad of players.

England intelligent at last.

I agree completely, im also a fan of picking the correct player rather than re hashing another managers team.

the only issue against Germany was a lack of clinical finishing and the other odd individual error. for me this gives players something to work within and shine or their own weaknesses will find them out.

no accounting for Podolskis goal, just a world class finish.

i hope Southgate keeps this up, i have always felt there is more going on behind the scenes at the FA that seemingly shackles the England manager...

www.vwcaddy.com

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:30 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Look at the managers who have won the Euros and WCs, mostly have the same pedigree as Southgate. He seems like smart guy, very nice when I met him in South Africa in 2010 (unlike the MOTD clowns), so hope he gets that bit of luck you need in cup competitions.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:05 am 
Manager
Manager

THE BIG BAD WOLF wrote:
Look at the managers who have won the Euros and WCs, mostly have the same pedigree as Southgate. He seems like smart guy, very nice when I met him in South Africa in 2010 (unlike the MOTD clowns), so hope he gets that bit of luck you need in cup competitions.

I had to wait for someone yesterday who was held up in a meeting, so was sitting in the car listening to the radio.
I couldn't believe the two presenters and the people phoning in with negatives about England, and the tactical understanding was non existent.

So it made me think Gareth Southgate has to stop reading the papers and stop watching the pundits on TV.
He has to surround himself with good people who understand the game, not yes men, but people who grasp what he's trying to do.
Unfortunately the media undermine his position relentlessly and the general public feed the flames of such debates.
How do you survive in the face of what is fake news, its a difficult one because England managers face these constant battles from day one.
Do these people really care or do they just look at the pay slip.

Its not helping the English nation, thats for sure.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:39 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

A couple of things concern me with your comments KK. Firstly you take the view that the general public are ignorant of tactics. You are one of that public of course and anyone's ideas and beliefs may be as good as anyone else's so why do we have to accept that your knowledge is the only way? Why are the opinions and thoughts of what appear to be the majority coming through the media not valid? Secondly, why do you assume that the England manager is not capable of filtering the information he hears in the media and making his own mind up about what are appropriate tactics without having to "ban" himself from listening to the general public and the paid professional pundits?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:43 am 
Prediction League Winner 2016/17

England vs. Slovakia 04/09/17...

Alli's a nasty little ****!

England were dog shit tonight, and they will achieve f*ck all in Russia next summer.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Forever in my Heart, Mum. 26/06/58 ~ 16/03/12.

Last edited by wolvesforever_1979 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:55 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I still think the is too much athleticism and not enough brain in the team.

My team with everybody fit would be

Pickford
Walker Keane Stones Rose
Dier Drinkwater
Lallana Alli Welbeck
Kane

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:10 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Hart needs dropping. Hopefully Shaw will have a good season, should have gone Chelsea rather than taken the money in Manchester. Tempted to go Trippier rather than Walker, more ability on the ball compared to Walker's athleticism.

So short on talent I might even take Rooney if he has a good season at Everton, Kane is our only top talent.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:47 am 
Manager
Manager

THE BIG BAD WOLF wrote:
Hart needs dropping. Hopefully Shaw will have a good season, should have gone Chelsea rather than taken the money in Manchester. Tempted to go Trippier rather than Walker, more ability on the ball compared to Walker's athleticism.

So short on talent I might even take Rooney if he has a good season at Everton, Kane is our only top talent.

I dont see Rooney being able to function when he is surrounded by Davy Klaassen and Gylfi Sigurdsson, they all need runners, while the centre half at Everton is a show boating disgrace.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:49 am 
Manager
Manager

wolvesforever_1979 wrote:

England were dog shit tonight, and they will achieve f*ck all in Russia next summer.

Any chance of resizing this fucker.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:24 pm 

knocker knowles wrote:
wolvesforever_1979 wrote:

Any chance of resizing this fucker.

Nope, but I can delete it, if you ask nicely. :lol:

Forever in my Heart, Mum. 26/06/58 ~ 16/03/12.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:14 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Perhaps this should be England 343?

Another game passes Alli by. What to do about creativity? Lallana getting a nice rest and will come back fresh to give us some. Cleverley is doing well at Watford, if he was still Man U he would be called up. I think we can still put out a decent enough team and make a go of it this summer.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:35 am 
Manager
Manager

Winks drops out of the squad and Southgate calls up.... yep, Jake Livermore, in a real rich vein of form is Jake. Great message to send out to all players busting a gut without recognition :roll:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:23 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Livermore shouldn't be anywhere near that side. He shouldn't be anywhere near the Albion XI, but he's playing shit, so we'll leave him alone.

I like Jack Cork being called up though. Perfect for one of the middle roles in the centre of a midfield 4, also known as the 'Neves role'... ay it.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:15 am 
Manager
Manager

There's always something to be gained, with Southgate it would be nice to see him develop a pattern of play that England could take forward.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:09 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
There's always something to be gained, with Southgate it would be nice to see him develop a pattern of play that England could take forward.

Unfortunately, nothing of his coaching career suggests that Southgate is capable of doing so.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:16 am 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Unfortunately, nothing of his coaching career suggests that Southgate is capable of doing so.

Steve Holland must have helped develop the 3-4-3 at Chelsea.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:44 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
shropswolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Steve Holland must have helped develop the 3-4-3 at Chelsea.

Great players will find a way to make any system work though and Chelsea had/have great players. England don't have many, or perhaps, any at all.

I'm not sure you can ever develop a "pattern of play" with players so lacking in game intelligence and basic passing abilities. Maybe the long ball forward and Vardy or Rashford chasing it is the most effective we can manage to be. There's no hope of an England central midfield being able to control a match.

Really regressive stuff but it might buy England enough points to scramble out of the group and perhaps even nick a win in a knockout game for the first time in 12 years if we happen to meet a team from outside the top 10. A job done for 2018, and two more years long the line, hopefully a better generation of players is ready.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:39 pm 
Manager
Manager

I'm not Southgate's biggest fan, but he will give youth a chance
Dier will captain England, against Germany with Pickford and Cheek to start

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:58 am 
Manager
Manager

Fair performance from England maybe a foundation from which to build from, Harry Maguire did well once he settled after a nervous start.

That kind of surge from deep and pass inside the opposition full back may be something Wolves could add eventually.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:22 am 
Manager
Manager

Watching Livermore reminded me of a scene from the great New Zealand film..Once Were Warriors.

Too much time in the gym. Not enough speed work

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:48 am 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

CANNOCK WOLF wrote:

I’m happy with Southgate. We need a low-key manager like him as nobody really gives a shit about England anymore.

I think he can build these lower profile players into a team with a good mentality and togetherness, which could work in tournament football.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:58 am 
Manager
Manager

Just thinking longer term within a 3-4-3 a real difficulty is fitting in Dele Alli.

For my mind to retain the balance and width in the front three positions with and without the ball I wouldn't select him.

Team before individuals every time.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:19 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

CANNOCK WOLF wrote:

At a loss as to why Liverpool didn't pick up Pickford, would be first choice for me.

Actually think we have decent foundations, some very good ball playing CBs with a number of options out wide. Kane will get goals even if we lack a bit of inspiration. Just hope key players aren't burnt out.

Would take Wilshire, its a short tournament than is won by the team with fresh players who produce a bit of magic in a short period of time, something he can still do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat