Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat

Share On:

Post subject: Friday Night Chump Games
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:25 pm 
Manager
Manager

Why have them? It seems to me that I rarely see a decent game of Football on a Friday night and if Reading v Ipswich is anything to judge by then, I'm right. I ain't seen either side string more than two passes together all night and it is currently 1-1 (two penalties) on 65 minutes.

I see that I have Flum v Brum live at 3pm tomorrow, but at least that is Saturday afternoon football at a time it should be played.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:15 am 
Manager
Manager

Same game last year was a cracker Reading gave Micks lot a good hiding, scored five.

Two teams who are about five players short of a promotion level possibility with more thoughts of relegation should they suffer injury and confidence crisis.

Friday nights are better for German football, you could have watched Bayern missing chance after chance. Or Benfica in Portugal doing much the same.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:55 am 
Manager
Manager

Unless you support one of the clubs people, rightly, don't watch the Chump games. It is a poor standard.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:09 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

The championship is a horrible watch, I wonder if that is down to the myth that you can't play football and win promotion, and sides have to stuff their teams full of experienced, hard working battlers?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:54 am 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
The championship is a horrible watch, I wonder if that is down to the myth that you can't play football and win promotion, and sides have to stuff their teams full of experienced, hard working battlers?

Quote:
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy: "I'm not going to speak about the decision at the end, as I'll get myself in trouble, so it's best I leave it alone.

"I have to say I'm aggrieved with all three penalties. I'm pretty sure Jaap wasn't best pleased with the one we were given.

"Take those decisions out of the game, I thought we played really well today and it was a good performance. I thought we were the better team in the second half and we looked like winning it.

"Unfortunately, yet again one of our results has been based on a referee's decision. I would prefer to never, ever speak about refereeing decisions."

No Mick, you're team were shite, you rely on big centre backs and the octopus to muscle the opposition out, your strikers look half a yard off the pace and I didn't see one moment where your team actually tried to play football. Reading weren't much better either and 1-1 would have been a fairer result.

From what I have seen of Wolves so far this season, our Football is streets ahead albeit, that might not get us promotion, but I know what I prefer to watch.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:40 am 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Why have them? It seems to me that I rarely see a decent game of Football on a Friday night.

The Championship TV games are just filler in the schedules that are slotted in around the Premier League. The Football League wants to "promote" the product so they sell the TV rights, Sky wants cheap filler and the hope of luring in a few fans of those clubs shown so they agree to show over 100 games from the league.

The standard of the league is not high, we should know given we finished a comfortably 14th last season with some of the most wretched football imaginable.

Maybe even the Friday night factor has a role, nobody wanting to lose before everyone else plays, I'm not sure. I find the Monday night PL games are mostly all crap too aside from the odd exception.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

I guess there must be other people like me, they get me at Hello.

I can watch football till the cows come home, always have been that way.

Two or three kids in the park kicking a ball about I will study their technique with the ball just to see if any have got it.

Any game, there's always something different to view always something to see a view to form be that of a team or an individual.

I would sooner watch football than any other television program you could name.

I guess thats why footballers are the new hollywood stars on 200k per week, its become the worlds obsession.
Why did it take so long for people to join me.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
I guess thats why footballers are the new hollywood stars on 200k per week, its become the worlds obsession.

The Hollywood star footballers are the ones playing at the top clubs who generally play to an excellent standard.

People have always wanted to watch the best players, the league thought attendances would suffer if television had too much sway though.

Geopolitical factors meant that the world markets that fuel today's wage booms did not exist until 90s, in the globalised post Berlin Wall world the leagues now realise that their product can be globally sold.

Little of this has much to do with the benefits or non-benefits of watching Rotherham v Ipswich recreate a match from 1986 though.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:44 am 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

The Hollywood star footballers are the ones playing at the top clubs who generally play to an excellent standard.

People have always wanted to watch the best players, the league thought attendances would suffer if television had too much sway though.

Geopolitical factors meant that the world markets that fuel today's wage booms did not exist until 90s, in the globalised post Berlin Wall world the leagues now realise that their product can be globally sold.

Little of this has much to do with the benefits or non-benefits of watching Rotherham v Ipswich recreate a match from 1986 though.

You offer a 3d head set of virtual reality to Wolves fans of a certain age and they would revisit 1974 rather than view the modern game.
It takes all sorts.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:57 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
they would revisit 1974 rather than view the modern game.
It takes all sorts.

Two 10's (inside forwards) behind a striker (centre forward) with 2 wide players (wingers) and 2 holding midfielders (half backs) in front of a CB and two full backs is exactly that isn't it?

Plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:38 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I watch the Vanarama league when that's on BT but I know it is complete shite in comparison to the German stuff also on BT

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:21 am 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
I watch the Vanarama league when that's on BT but I know it is complete shite in comparison to the German stuff also on BT

You should try and get into the German league, its thoughtful but its also physical and highly athletic.
Even Thomas Tuchel was given a tactical lesson this weekend and that guys in the top five of world football for tactical strategy.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:37 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:

You should try and get into the German league, its thoughtful but its also physical and highly athletic.
Even Thomas Tuchel was given a tactical lesson this weekend and that guys in the top five of world football for tactical strategy.

I quite enjoy watching the German stuff, much more technical and even just a short passage of passing in the middle of the pitch can be more entertaining than a whole 90 minutes of Chumpionship football.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:25 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:

To be fair though it was Major Fuller who developed the theory of Blitzkrieg warfare, although it was the Germans, Heinz Guderain in particular, who adopted and implemented them.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat