Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat

Share On:

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:57 pm 
First XI
First XI

Here is how many countries will represent each nation at the 2026 WC. In parenthesis are the number that were represented for current WC format:
UEFA - 16 (13)
CAF - 9 (5)
AFC - 8 (4.5)
CONMEBOL - 6 (4.5)
CONCACAF - 6 (3.5)
OFC - 1 (0.5)
Playoff - four countries, one from each confederation minus UEFA and w/e confederation the host country is from.

Overall, I think it is fine to expand the tournament. I just wish they'd get rid of the wonky 3 team groups. I would rather do the 16 team two leg playoffs to decide who advances to the 32 team group stage. Or I'd rather they just go real big and go to 64 countries with four team groups.

While UEFA and CONMEBOL didn't bolster their representation too much, I think it is good to see that more African nations will be present, as well as more from Asia. Nice to see Oceania get a ful bid too instead of just one to go to a playoff. More money needs to be invested into the poorer countries in order for it to grow. I just wish FIFA wasn't controlling the purse strings as they don't do enough about countries that misuse the funds given to them (that includes the wealthier confederations as well).

I also hope that the US/Canada/Mexico do a joint bid. I think the WC should rotate between confederations and not just countries. Could show signs of more joint bids in the future. Spread the clubs out throughout the continent. Too much money is spent in individual countries to prepare for a WC and then they're left with massive stadiums and nothing to do with them. There are already plenty of suitable venues for games throughout the world. One country shouldn't have to build multiple new stadiums to host.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:47 pm 
Manager
Manager

Terrible format, 32 teams was already pushing it. Every nation already had their chance, the whole qualification phase is now all but redundant.

I can see the sums paid for the TV rights sinking - tournament being too long (meaning too much moving around of scheduled programming) and too many totally uninteresting matches to broadcast. Still I'm sure the personal income for the FIFA execs won't be sinking...

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

The last Euros was awful, this will destroy the WC too. PC nonsense and an all must have prizes mentality.

Europe and South America should breakaway and hold our own tournament.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat