Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat

Share On:

Post subject: Womens Euros
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:19 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Anyone else watching it ? I have to admit I have only watched the two England games.

The commitment and skill level are impressive, but one question. Is it my imagination, or are all of the match officials women ? Surely there should be a mix. I mean there seems to be a fairly equal split of men and women coaching the sides, so why only women refs and assistants ?

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Womens Euros
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:56 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I've only watched the England games, they've been thoroughly enjoyable too. I don't buy the argument that the quality is worse than the men's game either. A lot of the critics are either supporters of lower league teams anyway or ignorant slaves to the PL who have a narrow minded view of football.

As for the officials, I'm not entirely sure but the cynical side of me feels that the FA want to avoid a sexism row by appointing men to officiate the women's game. It's probably not that though, I imagine that they have referees trained for a specific level/type of game so it makes sense to appoint appropriately. I'd be interested to see other views on this.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:39 am 
Manager
Manager

I'm fairly certain that Women's Super League games that I've watched have had male referees. Must be a UEFA thing

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:01 pm 
First XI
First XI

Might be that more women flood the applications for female competitions. Might not want to deal with the misogyny of the men's side. Which I totally understand. Need more women in the men's game, but I totally understand if the women didn't want to deal with men trying to bully them about a call.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:05 pm 
Manager
Manager

I love anything historical, to fully understand the women's game in this country, look up Dick Kerr's Ladies, and our FA, who banned the women from using fields and stadiums controlled by FA affiliated clubs for 50 years (1921-71).
Its an unbelievable story.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:32 pm 
Manager
Manager

Semi finalists..

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:03 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

A lot of huffing and puffing tonight, wouldn't mind seeing them be a bit more clinical from now on! The substitute keeper didn't fill me with confidence either :s Now that Germany are out, this come be anyone's!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:13 am 
Manager
Manager

Very fortunate,
England were like Leicester City playing very basic stuff on three lines while France controlled the games tempo and fluency by clever movement and occupancy of the half spaces.

Léo Bonatini using the space Wolves have neglected for decades.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:25 am 
Manager
Manager

France were very fortunate to even get to play a KO match though. Only a disaster from the Swiss keeper in the group stage kept them in the tournament.

There's no doubt that England and the Netherlands have been the best two teams over the competition, shame that is "only" the semi final.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:46 am 
Manager
Manager

Just a couple of points on England.

The fitness and strength of the players looks much improved, and there's a confidence and resilience level thats to be applauded.

Team selection also seems very good. Doing well to replace the scouse girl Fara Williams.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:29 am 
Manager
Manager

Under pressure there was a certain arrogance within the ranks, petulance as well as they found they had totally underestimated their opponents.

Its really the first generation of Female players who have seen a huge spotlight and they handled it badly.
To much money and fame to soon and they believed their own hype.

Maybe a lesson or two for future generations, to think themselves lucky to be paid handsomely first and be respectful to the sport and the opponent.

The team mirrored the coach, to full of themselves.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:39 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I'm still very annoyed at the way they played. For years now the women's game has had to work hard to be taken seriously, this year they had a real chance and they blew it, playing like amateurs and conceding comical goals. It was an appalling display and I hope they're thoroughly ashamed of themselves. They're not better than the men in my eyes and I'm not in the slightest bit proud of a team I have been worshipping for a while now. They were an inspiration to me but now I can't help but feel they've let their fans down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:51 am 
Manager
Manager

First generation in the limelight is usually an impossible struggle.

The next generation should be far better at coping in high pressure situations.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:28 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I felt they missed the considerable presence of Jill Scott in midfield. It seemed that they had picked a "ball playing" midfielder in Farah Williams, but then, inexplicably, decided to just lump it upfield hopefully.
The Dutch seemed fitter and stronger in the tackle. They were also, clearly, technically better (which you would expect to be honest, regardless of gender)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:15 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I think the womens game should have developed separately from the mens, instead they seem to have developed the exact same failings, strength and speed over skill and intelligence, same coaching?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:28 am 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
I think the womens game should have developed separately from the mens, instead they seem to have developed the exact same failings, strength and speed over skill and intelligence, same coaching?

I think a lot of it is climate and cultural, so in one respect the change to summer football for the female game should have long term positive results.

Try coaching during the winter months, especially youth players who require a learning culture.

If you watch the Football league highlights as an example, blokes football.

You see early season under the sunshine teams up and down the country trying to play a beautiful game.
All trying to play out from the back, all thinking themselves a mini Barcelona, but then get to the end of October and attritional football kicks in.

A lot of this is because the training changes, many semi pro clubs and those below just start doing different stuff to keep warm.
In training you dont want to be standing about so they start working on lots of channel running up and at um football.

Its this mentality that breeds the kind of feeling that Johnny Foreigner cant play on a wet Tuesday night in Barnsley.

Its bollocks of course if you have a strong manager who has strong beliefs and the players who will accept those same beliefs.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:38 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:

I think a lot of it is climate and cultural, so in one respect the change to summer football for the female game should have long term positive results.

Try coaching during the winter months, especially youth players who require a learning culture.

If you watch the Football league highlights as an example, blokes football.

You see early season under the sunshine teams up and down the country trying to play a beautiful game.
All trying to play out from the back, all thinking themselves a mini Barcelona, but then get to the end of October and attritional football kicks in.

A lot of this is because the training changes, many semi pro clubs and those below just start doing different stuff to keep warm.
In training you dont want to be standing about so they start working on lots of channel running up and at um football.

Its this mentality that breeds the kind of feeling that Johnny Foreigner cant play on a wet Tuesday night in Barnsley.

Its bollocks of course if you have a strong manager who has strong beliefs and the players who will accept those same beliefs.

I've heard this theory before about the climate but I don't subscribe to it, our climate isn't any different to Germany's or France's and they pass us off the pitch, I think it's just ignorance and arrogance when it comes to coaching that is holding us back

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:35 am 
Manager
Manager

Obviously a variety of reasons, culturally do the English play safe, not explore options, not take risk, have an insular mentality.

Where as the French as an example have a flair, an exuberance, a way of pushing aside the barriers.

England maybe more settled in the mind, very trustworthy, the French more emotional and erratic.

Traits that surface in all sports, though thats to much of a generalisation.

I'm interested this season to see the Portuguese character and how that differs from their neighbours the Spanish.

Both nations and its people having travelled far this past half century since the demise of brutal regimes.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:50 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

Every time the womens football comes around i try to get into it, but then realize why i never could watch a full 90 minutes.

Slow, turgid football lacking any real quality, despite the BBC trying desperately to convince the public otherwise.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:40 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

MadCyril wrote:
Every time the womens football comes around i try to get into it, but then realize why i never could watch a full 90 minutes.

Slow, turgid football lacking any real quality, despite the BBC trying desperately to convince the public otherwise.

How very dare you ...

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:17 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

MadCyril wrote:

Yeah the media attempts to shove women's sport down our throats is deeply tedious.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

THE BIG BAD WOLF wrote:
MadCyril wrote:

Yeah the media attempts to shove women's sport down our throats is deeply tedious.

I'm surprised there's not more of it. BBC/ITV are missing a trick I think - they can't afford the men's competitions, so why not have more female sport on TV?

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:30 am 
Manager
Manager

toomb wrote:
THE BIG BAD WOLF wrote:
MadCyril wrote:

I'm surprised there's not more of it. BBC/ITV are missing a trick I think - they can't afford the men's competitions, so why not have more female sport on TV?

I think your right but the broadcasters for some reason cant see the possibilities.

I think they have to sell it differently to the mens game rather than just another game of football.

When that sinks in they have a winning product. Its new and its relatively innocent not lost to the over pampering of the mens game.

Be careful though the television screen creates celebrity culture which over time devours us all.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:45 am 
Manager
Manager

Norway FA agrees deal to pay male and female international footballers equally.

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat