Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » THE LOCKER ROOM » Retired threads

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Share On:

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:25 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:

When anyone gives an opinion on a players performance be that good, bad or indifferent its usually done without the knowledge of the job spec.
Be that a fan, pundit, coach or chief bottle washer.
What we dont know is what Chris Coleman was asking of Dave Edwards what was required of him within Wales game plan.
What Chris Coleman and anyone else wouldn't know pre game was would that game plan work, so we play the game to find out a few answers.
Now in all of this even if Dave Edwards had performed his role to a T, it might have been the wrong thought process all along.
So we tend to generalise, we look at the role requirements as we see them and use that as a base to form an opinion.

For what its worth I believe Dave Edwards gets selected on the most part for what he can produce off the ball not on it.
I think most people would agree with that, its a no shit sherlock statement.

So looking at his performance, did Dave Edwards have the aptitude to cover and fill in for his centre backs, did he fill in holes that appear on the pitch.
The answers yes, in a basic way Edwards produced a performance which helped his side get a result.
Athletic, concentrated and for the most part effective.

Yet when the role required a little more quality with the ball when the coach needed to be a little adventurous he had to be replaced.
The coach had to insert a player who can pass a forward ball with a little quality, which he did.

Did Edwards on the day do himself and his club proud, yes he did with obvious limitations.

He probably did play to instruction, it wasn't the usual Dernjerus performance he puts in for Wolves, I can only compare players to my ideals of what football should be and compare players/teams/tactics against others who play the way I like, Dave just doesn't play the way I like.

Some people think Pulis does a good job, his way of playing is anathema to me, but I would never suggest someone knows nothing about football because they did like what he does, except for Rozza :P

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:47 am 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

When anyone gives an opinion on a players performance be that good, bad or indifferent its usually done without the knowledge of the job spec.
Be that a fan, pundit, coach or chief bottle washer.
What we dont know is what Chris Coleman was asking of Dave Edwards what was required of him within Wales game plan.
What Chris Coleman and anyone else wouldn't know pre game was would that game plan work, so we play the game to find out a few answers.
Now in all of this even if Dave Edwards had performed his role to a T, it might have been the wrong thought process all along.
So we tend to generalise, we look at the role requirements as we see them and use that as a base to form an opinion.

For what its worth I believe Dave Edwards gets selected on the most part for what he can produce off the ball not on it.
I think most people would agree with that, its a no shit sherlock statement.

So looking at his performance, did Dave Edwards have the aptitude to cover and fill in for his centre backs, did he fill in holes that appear on the pitch.
The answers yes, in a basic way Edwards produced a performance which helped his side get a result.
Athletic, concentrated and for the most part effective.

Yet when the role required a little more quality with the ball when the coach needed to be a little adventurous he had to be replaced.
The coach had to insert a player who can pass a forward ball with a little quality, which he did.

Did Edwards on the day do himself and his club proud, yes he did with obvious limitations.

He probably did play to instruction, it wasn't the usual Dernjerus performance he puts in for Wolves, I can only compare players to my ideals of what football should be and compare players/teams/tactics against others who play the way I like, Dave just doesn't play the way I like.

Some people think Pulis does a good job, his way of playing is anathema to me, but I would never suggest someone knows nothing about football because they did like what he does, except for Rozza :P

I would think Tony Pulis would say his teams are not as pleasing on the eye as some others we could mention but it works for him.
It keeps him in employment and his clubs relatively safe, its low risk effective football. Its football played in a way that falls into a Tony Pulis comfort zone.

Now could he extend himself and explore his own mind to try and play a higher more expansive and expressive type of football.
He would cite Kenny Jackett from last season as a coach over extending and say why risk it.
Just have a word with my Chairman when you want to explore your own ego.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:25 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Ironfistedmonk wrote:

I sincerely hope that Edwards matches your expectations of him today.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:17 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Rozza wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:

I don't think he will start, Ledley might come in

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:56 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
Rozza wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:

Correct, then let Hennessy have a mare please :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:38 am 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
Rozza wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:

I thought that as the game panned out Edwards playing as he does for Wolves could have worked.

If he had been given the role of making forward runs towards and past Gareth Bale it may have created a smidgen of space for the main man.
A distraction, a runner that takes the attention of a defender who for the most part only had eyes for the movement of Bale.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:49 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:

I thought that as the game panned out Edwards playing as he does for Wolves could have worked.

If he had been given the role of making forward runs towards and past Gareth Bale it may have created a smidgen of space for the main man.
A distraction, a runner that takes the attention of a defender who for the most part only had eyes for the movement of Bale.

Maybe, Wales set up defensively and when they went ahead they were just trying to hold on to what they had, Dave might of been some use on the counter but came on and played a defensive role again instead, Wales got what they deserved for such negative football, nothing.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:53 am 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Maybe, Wales set up defensively and when they went ahead they were just trying to hold on to what they had, Dave might of been some use on the counter but came on and played a defensive role again instead, Wales got what they deserved for such negative football, nothing.

I thought England could have been cuter rather than boxing Wales in they could have removed the high press and allowed Wales out a little.

Creating more space between the lines with a different strategy.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:55 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:

I thought England could have been cuter rather than boxing Wales in they could have removed the high press and allowed Wales out a little.

That's English football for you though, everyone goes forward there is no lateral movement or dropping off to move the opposition around

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:13 am 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

That's English football for you though, everyone goes forward there is no lateral movement or dropping off to move the opposition around

I would applaud Daniel Sturridge for showing his initiative to come off the front line creating angles for himself to receive the ball or to open up his own possibilities on the ball.

I didn't think Vardy had the football intelligence to work off the Sturridge movement leaving himself a peripheral figure.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:54 am 
Manager
Manager

Been a great tournament so far for Ex-Wolves and current Wolves players. Does make me wonder though why most of them were considered ''NOT GOOD ENOUGH'' for us. :roll:

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:18 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Moscow Wolf wrote:
Been a great tournament so far for Ex-Wolves and current Wolves players. Does make me wonder though why most of them were considered ''NOT GOOD ENOUGH'' for us. :roll:

Which players?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:34 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

Which players?

Edwards on fire, your defence is terrified................

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

Which players?

Volkes and Ward and I was talking more from a fans' view than a club view.

Keane and Hennessey sold for good money and Denjerus is still ours.

I guess that ''MOST'' could be the wrong word, but 3 out of 5 is almost. :wink:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:50 am 
Manager
Manager

Anyone care to update this thread as I have no idea which of our Players will be away on International Duty and I would prefer none of them going anywhere for the next week(s) or so to give Zenga time to work with the old and new lads?

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

I hadn't known about Denjerus having a slight injury - did anyone else hear about it?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37237292

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:35 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Moscow Wolf wrote:
I hadn't known about Denjerus having a slight injury - did anyone else hear about it?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37237292

Yes but I wor bothered :D

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:33 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wol ... -round-up/

E&S did a roundup of Wolves in Intertnational play:

Dave Edwards - Started and played 90 minutes in Wales draw against Georgia in WCQ
Big Dadi - Started and played 62 minutes against Turkey in Iceland's 2-0 victory (replaced by Bjorn Sigurdarson, who got the start in place of Bodvarsson in their first WCQ match of the break against Finland)
Carl Ikeme - started and played the full 90 in Nigeria's 2-1 WCQ victory against Zambia
Romain Saiss - started and was subbed out in stoppage time in Morocco's 0-0 draw in WCQ against Gabon

Iorfa is hoping to make the lineup in England's U21 match against Bosnia today. Hause was not in the squad due to injuries.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:56 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Bod has played an awful lot of football these past two years, Lambert ain't wrong about that.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:34 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Saiss scored for Morrocco today against Togo. Currently up 3-1

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:35 pm 
Manager
Manager

Why was I thinking that he had taken Tunisian nationality when raised in France and chose to represent Morocco!

However, I thought he was another foreign import loan player, but WiKi tells me that we signed him on a FOUR year deal for an undisclosed fee.

I thought that he played his role well, just in front of the back four away at Newcastle, but since then, he has not featured that much and I cannot remember now if he has featured at all under Lambert?

Mark Twain

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Board index » THE LOCKER ROOM » Retired threads