Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » THE LOCKER ROOM » Retired threads

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Share On:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:49 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

A number 10 playmaker woud have been nice but i am happy with Afobe and the exit of Johnson.
I do wonder if we get promoted what on earth our transfer policy will be though!

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:11 am 
Manager
Manager

hairychest wrote:
A number 10 playmaker woud have been nice but i am happy with Afobe and the exit of Johnson.
I do wonder if we get promoted what on earth our transfer policy will be though!

I think Morgan would soil his underpants.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:32 pm 
Manager
Manager

Watching Spurs as we speak. Can we please buy Harry Kane..........Thanks.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:48 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Graham Dorrans gone to Norwich, another realistic target who we haven't gone for

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
Graham Dorrans gone to Norwich, another realistic target who we haven't gone for

Wages.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:45 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

warn wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:

Wages.

£100 million for last place

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
warn wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:

Wages.

Just saying, but there has to be a planned pathway for bringing in higher-earners, can't just pay someone twice as much as the players already at the club.

Do you gamble with money you haven't got?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:52 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Gambling with money that you haven't got is the key to footballing success. I hate to say it but it is true.The top clubs in the top leagues are mortgaged to and above the hilt to their playing staff, the more clubs pay their players the more successful they become, it is a simple rule of football that fly's in the face of simple rules of economics,
If we consistently pay average wages for average players then we will become average ay it.

Mind you Wolves fans need to stop kicking their high earners in the proverbial bollocks if they doe score a hat trick every wick an all.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:07 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
Gambling with money that you haven't got is the key to footballing success. I hate to say it but it is true.The top clubs in the top leagues are mortgaged to and above the hilt to their playing staff, the more clubs pay their players the more successful they become, it is a simple rule of football that fly's in the face of simple rules of economics,
If we consistently pay average wages for average players then we will become average ay it.

Mind you Wolves fans need to stop kicking their high earners in the proverbial bollocks if they doe score a hat trick every wick an all.

Wim onny ere wunce, ay we? Yow Dow liv furevva, doo ya? And so on and so forth...

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:54 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Embers wrote:
Rozza wrote:

Wim onny ere wunce, ay we? Yow Dow liv furevva, doo ya? And so on and so forth...

Look where the clubs am that spend hundreds of millions of pounds on their squads, then look at where the teams am that doe, what cor spake cor lie.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:03 am 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
Embers wrote:
Rozza wrote:

Look where the clubs am that spend hundreds of millions of pounds on their squads, then look at where the teams am that doe, what cor spake cor lie.

Ar, an eye ay gettin enny yunger.

And as some young folk once sang "Reach, for the stars!". Yow can but dreem.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:40 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

warn wrote:

Wages.

£100 million for last place[/quote]

Just saying, but there has to be a planned pathway for bringing in higher-earners, can't just pay someone twice as much as the players already at the club.

Do you gamble with money you haven't got?[/quote]

What Rozza said, you speculate to accumulate.

Going that extra mile in the last transfer window/this loan window could mean promotion, and even if we only spend one season in the Prem we would make more money than we would in years outside of it.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
warn wrote:

Wages.

Do you gamble with money you haven't got?[/quote]

What Rozza said, you speculate to accumulate.

Going that extra mile in the last transfer window/this loan window could mean promotion, and even if we only spend one season in the Prem we would make more money than we would in years outside of it.[/quote]

Speculate to accumulate? You only speculate what you can afford to lose.

Money doesn't guarantee promotion, or promotion following relegation.

Reading, Fulham, Wigan, Cardiff, Blackburn, Birmingham, Norwich haven't exactly set the Championship on fire in the last couple of seasons since relegation, and QPR only got back after being outplayed by Derby in the play-off final. Coventry, Portsmouth? Do we really want to gamble?

Now there's an interesting one. I wonder how QPR will fare if they get relegated this season?

I can see the present situation is frustrating, but we had to stabilise after the traumas of successive relegations.

We will have to wait for the summer to see if we are a little more ambitious in the transfer market. I would hope we are, but within our means.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:39 pm 
Manager
Manager

Relegation for QPR would be a good test of how genuine the football league are over their fair play regulations.

Three or four? | Pub team selection explained | Puns | Keep Calm | More

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:43 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

No money doesn't guarantee promotion, not spending any definitely doesn't, signing one player in a position we are desperate for, and still are, and then expecting fans to be grateful for it, shocking.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
No money doesn't guarantee promotion, not spending any definitely doesn't, signing one player in a position we are desperate for, and still are, and then expecting fans to be grateful for it, shocking.

You ungrateful ba$tard.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:27 pm 
Manager
Manager

warn wrote:
Speculate to accumulate? You only speculate what you can afford to lose.

Money doesn't guarantee promotion, or promotion following relegation.

Reading, Fulham, Wigan, Cardiff, Blackburn, Birmingham, Norwich haven't exactly set the Championship on fire in the last couple of seasons since relegation, and QPR only got back after being outplayed by Derby in the play-off final. Coventry, Portsmouth? Do we really want to gamble?

Now there's an interesting one. I wonder how QPR will fare if they get relegated this season?

I can see the present situation is frustrating, but we had to stabilise after the traumas of successive relegations.

We will have to wait for the summer to see if we are a little more ambitious in the transfer market. I would hope we are, but within our means.

There were targets pre-season and later that we allowed to get away and players that could possibly have us in the top 3 currently. If you're targeting impact players then, make it your aim to get them and be prepared to push the boat out somewhat, but within reason of course and not let them go to clubs with lesser expectations, income and whatever.

Just would be nice to land one name that we know will bring something good to the party instead of the number of gambles we have taken and used our transfer funds upon.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:

Burnley didn't spend much, still haven't. Southampton must have made a nice little profit from the summer transfer window, and Swansea haven't spent the Bony money and won't. Those clubs didn't base their climb through the divisions on 'throwing money at it.' Anyway money doesn't always guarantee a player will sign.

So you don't think Afobe was a good signing, or do you think we should have bought another striker in as well?

I don't think we are expected to be grateful, maybe patient, and fair enough, it's not easy.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:50 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

warn wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:

Burnley didn't spend much, still haven't. Southampton must have made a nice little profit from the summer transfer window, and Swansea haven't spent the Bony money and won't. Those clubs didn't base their climb through the divisions on 'throwing money at it.' Anyway money doesn't always guarantee a player will sign.

So you don't think Afobe was a good signing, or do you think we should have bought another striker in as well?

I don't think we are expected to be grateful, maybe patient, and fair enough, it's not easy.

Moxey's comments in the fans parliament were telling, they believe signing Afobe (who I do rate quite highly) was good enough and Moxey was his usual condescending self.

We are still weak up top, only Afobe and Dicko, and Dicko has been prone to injury and picking up niggles this season, only 2 strikers leaves us short if one of them is injured, and playing 2 up front leaves us with no one on the bench.

Only Edwards for the #10 role, Jacobs is playing in Siberia so forrest gump is the only player we have who can operate in that role, no competition and no room to change things

Only Sako can play the #11 role, once again no competition, no cover for injuries, no options to switch things up

Price/McDonald/Evans - Very weak in this area, Saville Rowe has been a flop so far, Evans plays like O'Hara did when he was getting shit from the fans, McDonald hasn't stepped up and Price is the latest scapegoat for our failings "cos he ay creative enough", there is no drive, no ooomph in this midfield

Defence is covered but the covering options are very inexperienced, so yes our squad is short in a lot of areas, lacking in senior players with few options to vary our play.

Burnley actually signed players though, and not for their development squad, the Southampton youth team getting them promoted is a myth, they had more senior players than people realise, Swansea's probably cost more than ours and they had a recognised playing style that was nurtured for a few seasons, where is our playing style from last season?

The opportunity to make the play off was there this season, we haven't grasped that opportunity and are setting ourselves up for decades of mediocrity, the Championship will end up like the Prem with a select group of sides yo-yoing between the divisions thanks to all that TV wonga that we didn't even remotely try to go for.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:52 pm 
Manager
Manager

We need 4-5 people over the summer. That's probably not going to happen though given the constrained budget we operate under.

• Replacement for Sako (which could be Sako if a miracle happens and he signs a new contract :lol: ).
  • Top quality CM (every team wants one so it's not going to be cheap, I'd imagine he'll be the one 'big buy' over the summer.
  • A number 10 to play behind the lone striker (although if we switch to playing both Afobe and Dicko up front that may not be needed). As with the CM role, this will cost if we want to do it properly.
  • Big striker (someone like Wood) who we can use in situations where we need to change our style and hoof the ball, maybe to get that late goal to draw, or hold the ball up and give the team a rest if we're under a constant barrage of pressure the other end of the pitch.
  • Replacement CB for Batth (love him but he's got turned or out paced too many times this year which has cost us too many goals).

First 3 in that list are the most important and I'd imagine we're working on them even now.

Last edited by SpaceMonkey on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:54 pm 
First XI
First XI

SpaceMonkey wrote:
We need 4-5 people over the summer. That's probably not going to happen though given the constrained budget we operate under.

• Replacement for Sako (which could be Sako if a miracle happens and he signs a new contract :lol: ).
  • Top quality CM (every team wants one so it's not going to be cheap, I'd imagine he'll be the one 'big buy' over the summer.
  • A number 10 to play behind the lone striker (although if we switch to playing both Afobe and Dicko up front that may not be needed). As with the CM role, this will cost if we want to do it properly.
  • Big striker (someone like Wood) who we can use in situations where we need to change our style and hoof the ball, maybe to get that late goal to draw, or hold the ball up and give the team a rest if we're under a constant barrage of pressure the other end of the pitch.
  • Replacement CB for Batth (love him but he's got turned or out paced too many times this year which has cost us too many goals).

First 3 in that list are the most important and I'd imagine we're working on both even as we speak.

Agree with your determinations of what we need. But I think they'll opt for the cheap re: CB. We have Hause, Iorfa and EEL that are all supposed to be CB. I think M&M and KJ will hope the kids develop and challenge Batth.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:12 pm 
Manager
Manager

Mickswich have taken Wood. I thought we had dibs on him ?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:12 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:

Too expensive for us Gingo, so he goes to Mick instead, who's living off scraps.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
suiging wrote:

Too expensive for us Gingo, so he goes to Mick instead, who's living off scraps.

Aye, sometimes makes you wonder :oops:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:21 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
suiging wrote:

Are we going to start competing for these players next season now some of the high earners have gone or will be out of contract or are we now a club that loses out on players to fellow championship teams?

I think we are having a good season and have made some shrewd signings but I see teams above us are making signings that I would have thought we'd have made

Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rich2086 wrote:
Embers wrote:
suiging wrote:

Are we going to start competing for these players next season now some of the high earners have gone or will be out of contract or are we now a club that loses out on players to fellow championship teams?

I think we are having a good season and have made some shrewd signings but I see teams above us are making signings that I would have thought we'd have made

All will be revealed this Summer. Jackett will know where we need to strengthen, but it depends on whether Morgan supports him, and whether Thelwell can earn his corn. There are no excuses now, and who knows, Morgan may remember where he his his war chest :roll:

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:11 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Replacement for Sako
Backup midfielder for kmac and price
Backup centre back to replace Ricketts
Young striker in case Afobe and Dicko get crocked
Playmaker

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

hairychest wrote:
Replacement for Sako
Backup midfielder for kmac and price
Backup centre back to replace Ricketts
Young striker in case Afobe and Dicko get crocked
Playmaker

Bloody hell! Morgan would have a seizure.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:44 pm 
Manager
Manager

"hairychest" wrote;

Replacement for Sako......................................................yes
Backup midfielder for kmac and price.................................one to challenge them, unless Saville, Evans and Rowe step up.
Backup centre back to replace Ricketts....................I think we'll stick with Doherty, Iorfa, Batth, Stearman, Ebanks-Landel, House and Goldbourne to contest the back four positions.
Young striker in case Afobe and Dicko get crocked..................................most definitely.
Playmaker.............................................yes, a No10 possibly, or even a ball-winning midfielder.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:58 pm 
Manager
Manager

warn wrote:
"hairychest" wrote;

Replacement for Sako......................................................yes
Backup midfielder for kmac and price.................................one to challenge them, unless Saville, Evans and Rowe step up.
Backup centre back to replace Ricketts....................I think we'll stick with Doherty, Iorfa, Batth, Stearman, Ebanks-Landel, House and Goldbourne to contest the back four positions.
Young striker in case Afobe and Dicko get crocked..................................most definitely.
Playmaker.............................................yes, a No10 possibly, or even a ball-winning midfielder.

A ball-winning midfielder, you say?

We still need to know what division we're in before we do all this anyway. Lots of play left in this season yet.

Three or four? | Pub team selection explained | Puns | Keep Calm | More

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Board index » THE LOCKER ROOM » Retired threads