Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:55 am 
Manager
Manager

Cardiff's little bump in form seems to have ended so despite the obvious banana skin this game represents I fancy us to win this comfortably.

No doubt Warnock will look to replicate what Huddersfield did so I would tweak it a little bit after our lacklustre performance on Tuesday with Vinagre and MGW adding some energy and forward threat.

Rui
BennettCoadyBoly
DocDonkMoutinhoVinagre
MGW
JotaRaul

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:11 am 
Manager
Manager

Hmm, no Neves in your eleven, BBW. He was poor at Huddersfield but he has to start for me. Start the same team and see how it is by HT.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:25 am 
Manager
Manager

Hard to be optimistic about such games given we've taken 1 point from 12 against the bottom 3. Cardiff will look back fondly to their last win at Molineux which really kickstarted their eventual promotion.

Quality wise there is no comparison but mentality wise, we can't seem to handle these matches.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:52 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Hmm, no Neves in your eleven, BBW. He was poor at Huddersfield but he has to start for me. Start the same team and see how it is by HT.

Moutinho and Neves both sit, for these type of games someone who will get forward more is I think needed. Moutinho came off early and is in better form. MGW hasn't looked great in his subs appearances recently but class is permanent and he deserves a full ninety.

We didn't suffer any dip in from when Vinagre filled in when Jonny was injured so a little unfortunate to have not played more often, these type of games our two wide men act as pretty much wingers.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:26 pm 
Manager
Manager

THE BIG BAD WOLF wrote:
Cardiff's little bump in form seems to have ended so despite the obvious banana skin this game represents I fancy us to win this comfortably.

No doubt Warnock will look to replicate what Huddersfield did so I would tweak it a little bit after our lacklustre performance on Tuesday with Vinagre and MGW adding some energy and forward threat.

Rui
BennettCoadyBoly
DocDonkMoutinhoVinagre
MGW
JotaRaul

That's exactly what concerns me.

I'd keep Neves and put Dendoncker in MGW's place. Jonny didn't play particularly well v Huddersfield but he touched the ball 104 times which was more than anyone else (and as opposed to Costa's 5 touches in 12 minutes). I expect he'll bounce back.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:26 pm 
Manager
Manager

If I were the opposition I would be happy to see Jonny on the ball a lot in the final third. Don't know how many touches Doherty had but I doubt it was as many. Same with the opposition allowing Bennett to be the free man.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:53 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Seems to me a lot of our lads were well rested on Tuesday evening - or at least their skill sets were - we are desperately going to need Dedonk's physicality. MGW seems too light weight. Costa too. Both need to taker a leaf out of Jota's book, he punches above his size and weight when it comes to challenges.

Adama can only be let lose on the right wing, as he is clueless hanging around in the middle.

Agree Vinagre unlucky not to have kept his place - but has time on his side.

I want to know what happened to those first 15 minutes at Bournemouth - we looked like a top 4 team and about to paste B'mouth - then for the next 165 minutes they have gone AWOL.

Don't know about the rest of you, but these last 2 performances have greatly dampened my FA cup spirits - now fearing a good tonking by Utd - exacerbated by me being surrounded by the manc gits at work. We so need to get our mojo back with a good, positive performance, and win!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:26 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Warnocks already talking them up for a fight, we are too nice at times we need to get nasty

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

We could use a real Paul Ince like tank behind the middle two in matches like this. Just as long as he can pass. Someone who can stick to these kinds of thug sides.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

Beautiful goal!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:05 pm 
Manager
Manager

Wolfhawk wrote:
Beautiful goal!

And another! Lovely

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:15 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Jota enjoying himself today - what a pity Costa isn't a like for like sub.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

Strange half.

The first 10 minutes we looked asleep as usual against the lower teams, and a corner almost lead to an own goal/Ruddy fumble, then it all clicked for 25 minutes and we could and probably have scored more.

The gas then fizzled out and we seemed determined to allow Cardiff to pull one back before the interval with the sloppy fouls we were committed. MGW needs to work on his ball control urgently, too much springs off him.

I fear for Bennett getting through another 45 on a yellow. A bit of a let off with that daft foul right at the end that usually would bring another yellow.

Let's not gift them a route back into it a la Leicester, our last 2-0 HT lead.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:52 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Liking old (ok - v young) Vinegar more and more - Jonny can rest a few games!

Also one of MGW's better games.

Commentators so wanted to find something gd to say about Adama- such a buzz when he gets the ball.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:55 pm 
Manager
Manager

Impressed with the whole side today. Vinagre impressed me a lot. Cardiff couldn't handle Traore. He did too many flicks though. He was clearly getting tired, but I think he should have stayed on. He was running amok every time he got the ball. I think Cardiff were better when he went off. Great game. I really enjoyed it, bar the first and last ten minutes.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

Changes paid off in the end. Vinagre very much MOM, Ruddy had little to do but his handling was solid enough after the early nervous flap.

As time passes, the more amazing Traore's goal v West Ham seems, against Cardiff that under-11s style of play was OK, but long term it's not going to work. MGW young enough to improve but his ball control needs serious work at this level. His corners were much better today though.

The 2nd half was largely a non-event but we deserved to finish off one of those counterattacks. Don't think we'll be playing Cardiff next season, thankfully.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:29 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Pleased overall, but a bit disappointed it wasn't more comfortable. Two excellent goals and lots of chances created against a poor team, but we still need to be more clinical.

It could have been a difficult 2nd half had Bennett been given his marching orders just before the break as he probably should have been or if they'd got the luck of the bounce on one of the many punts or throws into our box.

We had very good chances for this to have been a good hiding but failed to capitalise.

That said, we were easily the better team a deserved the win. Vinagre looked lively but should have scored. Jiminez very good again. Saiss composed and Boly commanding.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

Great day out and the footie was shit hot as well. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

Glad to win again, I did fear Cardiff would do another stifling and niggly fouling game like they did here last season. We rode some early luck and deserved the points. Bamba going off injured helped a lot too. A fair few changes made and Nuno just about got it right.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:45 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Good win and a master stroke by Nuno. Hands up anyone who guessed what today's team would be. He learned his lesson from last season's match here and put some no nonsense players in the middle to nullify their physicality and blinding pace down both wings to frighten their lumbering defenders to death. Did I think it would work before the match? Of course not. Was I right? I couldn't have been more wrong. Traore and Vinagre were great down the sides. Saiss and Dendonker made sure we competed in the middle and Jota and Jiminez have developed an excellent partnership.

I bet Colin W was totally bemused by it and had to suffer all those chants about his wife too. No wonder he wouldn't give us a wave.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:08 am 
Manager
Manager

Against any other Premier league side you would think Nuno's first eleven selection pretty much a joke.

But that would be misunderstanding Cardiff and your own requirements going into a game against them.

Of all the British clubs Nuno has faced Cardiff probably irritate Nuno more than the others because its hard to put your identity, your stamp upon the game.

The ball is wild, in the wind, in the air, available to the braver player in combat situations. Its more of a lottery.

So Nuno selected his designer team, and it payed off.

Now that's good management.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:14 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Glad to win again, I did fear Cardiff would do another stifling and niggly fouling game like they did here last season. We rode some early luck and deserved the points. Bamba going off injured helped a lot too. A fair few changes made and Nuno just about got it right.

And he deserved it. It was a dreadful tackle with an intention to hurt Traore being way of the ball as it was and high into his thigh.

What comes around goes around. 8)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:20 am 
Manager
Manager

Just love Nuno's Plan B. What a manager that man is !!!!!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:46 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Left back wrote:
Good win and a master stroke by Nuno. Hands up anyone who guessed what today's team would be. He learned his lesson from last season's match here and put some no nonsense players in the middle to nullify their physicality and blinding pace down both wings to frighten their lumbering defenders to death. Did I think it would work before the match? Of course not. Was I right? I couldn't have been more wrong. Traore and Vinagre were great down the sides. Saiss and Dendonker made sure we competed in the middle and Jota and Jiminez have developed an excellent partnership.

I bet Colin W was totally bemused by it and had to suffer all those chants about his wife too. No wonder he wouldn't give us a wave.

Warnock will know he's fair game,but bringing his wife into it isn't.
For me,those comments just shame the club,I cannot think Nuno would be happy with the association.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:07 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

wolfrunna wrote:
Left back wrote:

Warnock will know he's fair game,but bringing his wife into it isn't.
For me,those comments just shame the club,I cannot think Nuno would be happy with the association.
To be fair, Colin did set himself (and his wife) up for it in his press conference before the game.

Personally, I thought it was quite funny and it'll be water of a ducks back for Colin.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:31 am 
Manager
Manager

Its worth noting away from the quality of player and tactical set up how different Cardiff were in spirit and belief to last season.
From a team riding high on confidence in the Championship to a team who expect Premier league defeats.
I guess that's human nature for you.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:30 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Its worth noting away from the quality of player and tactical set up how different Cardiff were in spirit and belief to last season.
From a team riding high on confidence in the Championship to a team who expect Premier league defeats.
I guess that's human nature for you.

To be fair to them KK, I thought that they played with a very spirited intention. However, apart from that early chance our defence never gave them a look-in.

Colin said that they conceded two sloppy goals but an interesting stat is that all ten outfield players touched the ball for the first goal. Sloppy indeed!

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies