Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:06 am 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
I know it’s all ifs and buts, but consider the goals we’ve actually been awarded which have been overturned by VAR and the amount of points that’s cost us:

Leicester x 2 = 4 points
Man U 2 points
Southampton 2 points
Liverpool 1 point

The problem of that thinking is that the game afterwards is totally different to what actually occurred so there is no reason to believe that the scoreline post-VAR would have been final result.

In addition, Southampton was clearly offside by Cutrone in real time, and in the away game at Saints we only got a penalty because of VAR. The referee had waved play on.

We do seem to have been treated more harshly than others, I suppose VAR is a continuation of the inherent bias toward "big clubs" in that respect.

We've shot ourselves just as much in the foot with our lack of concentration in the very final minutes as VAR has probably hurt us:

The home game vs Spurs is the prime example, then Sheffield United, unable to clear our lines or defend a corner, Burnley back 3 not marking their forward and Doherty with a rush of blood to the head as a result.

Our game management when we are only a single goal ahead at the death is a bit ropey imo.

Even away at Norwich, leading 2-1, we let them break on us in the final minute and ended up making a foul to give them a FK they could send everyone, including their keeper, into the box for. Fortunately, we got it away that time. Bournemouth away was a very similar story.

Against Man City, you expect pressure, but even going 3-2 up in the final minute and the crowd doing "oh-la" we still gifted the ball away with a sloppy pass and that led to them getting a FK right on the edge of the box that fortunately hit the bar and went over.

Introducing Mr Jeff Shi – Executive chairman, board member, acting managing director, acting sporting director, unofficial deputy to Raul Jimenez in the striker department and confirmed Banks's drinker

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:20 am 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
I know it’s all ifs and buts, but consider the goals we’ve actually been awarded which have been overturned by VAR and the amount of points that’s cost us:

Leicester x 2 = 4 points
Man U 2 points
Southampton 2 points
Liverpool 1 point

The problem of that thinking is that the game afterwards is totally different to what actually occurred so there is no reason to believe that the scoreline post-VAR would have been final result.

In addition, Southampton was clearly offside by Cutrone in real time, and in the away game at Saints we only got a penalty because of VAR. The referee had waved play on.

We do seem to have been treated more harshly than others, I suppose VAR is a continuation of the inherent bias toward "big clubs" in that respect.

We've shot ourselves just as much in the foot with our lack of concentration in the very final minutes as VAR has probably hurt us:

The home game vs Spurs is the prime example, then Sheffield United, unable to clear our lines or defend a corner, Burnley back 3 not marking their forward and Doherty with a rush of blood to the head as a result.

Our game management when we are only a single goal ahead at the death is a bit ropey imo.

Even away at Norwich, leading 2-1, we let them break on us in the final minute and ended up making a foul to give them a FK they could send everyone, including their keeper, into the box for. Fortunately, we got it away that time. Bournemouth away was a very similar story.

Against Man City, you expect pressure, but even going 3-2 up in the final minute and the crowd doing "oh-la" we still gifted the ball away with a sloppy pass and that led to them getting a FK right on the edge of the box that fortunately hit the bar and went over.

I know it’s all ifs and buts, Shrops. We have to live in the world we live in which is why I’m not raising my hopes high about Sunday. However, it would be nice if the impossible dream did become a reality. 8)

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Last edited by SELWolf on Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:38 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I think those incidents in total do show though that we are not too far away from doing better. Some improvement in game management over the last 5-10 minutes and a few more goals from midfielders getting into the box could get us around that 4th spot next time round. Well, I can always dream can't I?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:05 pm 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
SELWolf wrote:

Leicester x 2 = 4 points
Man U 2 points
Southampton 2 points
Liverpool 1 point

ah shrops, forever the realist. It will be a fascinating end to the season to see if we can qualify for Europe. I worry whether we can keep our star players if we don`t.

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies