Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:23 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

So on to the team we all loved to hate. Will Nuno have a full squad available or are the Portugese 5 about to prove positive which could be a major blow. It looks like Marcal will probably be available or will new signing Ait-Nouri take that slot. Will Podence start or do Neto and Traore get the nod alongside Jiminez. Leeds have looked a handful in their first few games going forward but they may be less solid at the back, perhaps it's time to fight fire with fire and play with some attacking verve rather than 3 at the back with two defensive midfielders ahead of them (Sounds like Southgate's system). It seems like Costa has got some of his confidence back so he will need watching but Coady has enhanced his reputation over the last couple of weeks too.

I would like us to just go for it big time but that doesn't really seem like Nuno's philosophy.

Here's to the positive result. Come on you Wolves.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:32 pm 
First XI
First XI

Leeds 7 - 2 Wolves. If our midfield doesn't get its finger out we will be hammered. :shock:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:21 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

If we win today I will have hope for the season - in fact make that, if we don't lose today - but if we lose, I fear it will show deep seated cracks that started back after lock-down, have not been addressed - losing 2 of the team regulars, Nuno's new approach, new but ineffective signings, tired players or at least over used players, trying to use Traore from kick off - all possible questions, but has Nuno managed to address any of them in time for this match?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:13 am 
Manager
Manager

Early days. Will Villa finish second in the league? I doubt it.

New blood takes time to settle. We’ve lost three players (including Jonny) this season and we’ve had a wobble which might continue tonight but there’ll be 32 games left to pick up.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

Our midfield doesn't offer any cause for optimism in this one, I'm afraid. Leeds have looked decent since coming up and, much like a large number of sides, seem to actively want to attack the opposition, whereas we slowly recycle possession around to minimal effect.

I would love to see a really cohesive display by our 11, but with all them having been touring the world over the past fortnight I don't see how Nuno will have had any chance to start building the combination play that we so lack.

Introducing Mr Jeff Shi – Executive chairman, board member, acting managing director, acting sporting director, unofficial deputy to Raul Jimenez in the striker department and confirmed Banks's drinker

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:41 pm 
First XI
First XI

The team picked for tonight doesn't inspire me with confidence. I hate to say that but no Traore or Marcal or Neves to start? Brave call. Looks like our transfer window is not for now but for the future.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rui

Boly
Coady
Kilman

Semedo
Moutinho
Donk
Saiss

Neto
Jimenez
Podence.

Interesting but also worrying.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:49 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Lovely red kit comes out a tad black in the weak Leeds floodlights!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:19 pm 
Manager
Manager

Just as I expected with our central midfield, chasing shadows all half long.

Introducing Mr Jeff Shi – Executive chairman, board member, acting managing director, acting sporting director, unofficial deputy to Raul Jimenez in the striker department and confirmed Banks's drinker

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:04 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Thought it wasn't going to be our night after that VAR intervention, but the very kind deflection has made me think the footie gods still love us - I wonder if Raul gets the credit for that or not!
Now just 15 odd minutes to sweat it out for the points - that other goal would have been nice.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:10 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Traore has been on 15 minutes, but it would take a genius to tell.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

Nice result, hard-working but very unconvincing standard of play yet again. The 2nd half was a clear improvement over the 1st at least. The goal was predictably an individual action, rather than interplay.

Semedo was very Zubar-esque: foul throws, scuffed/missed clearances all game long. Traore may as well not have bothered coming on, frankly. Everyone else worked very hard, but hmm... they need a lot of work on the training ground... or a time machine for Moutinho.

Thankfully the coming fixtures are rather soft.

Last edited by shropswolf on Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:47 pm 
Manager
Manager

Got away with it again tonight. First half embarrassing, second half much better. Kilman outstanding all night. We won't be as lucky as that for a while. A win at Leeds is always nice though..

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:02 pm 
First XI
First XI

Midfield still a problem for me. Need more creativity. Kilman man of the match. Semedo looked rusty. Neto worked his socks off, ditto Podence. Traore should have paid an entrance fee - a spectator for 25 minutes, a mind-boggling contribution. Still, away wins of any fashion should be treasured in this division and we did improve a bundle after a muted first-half performance.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:12 pm 
Manager
Manager

I hate Leeds. Hohohohoho

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:01 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wolves first 3 points ever courtesy of a Top Bun, loff, i nearly shat me sen.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:30 am 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
Wolves first 3 points ever courtesy of a Top Bun, loff, i nearly shat me sen.

George Berry had the whole bread basket, never mind just the bun.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:08 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

A win's a win's a win ay it. Especially against Leeds. We were totally outplayed first half but at least got it sorted out after half time. Still a lot of work to do. Semedo looks ok with the ball but needs to work on his defending - perhaps it didn't matter at Barcelona. Traore has taken to just standing around waiting for the ball even when we are not in possession - he needs a bit more coaching I think. Podence floated in and out a bit and none of the midfield seemed able to impose themselves. On the positive side, Kilman looked pretty solid, Neto showed some skill at times but perhaps needed to look up more, and the latest England captain gave a great interview.

Onward and upward. Above Leeds now - time for Villa to lose a couple.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:34 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
A win's a win's a win ay it...

Yes, end of! :lol:

I was delighted with how we defended but we’re still too slow on the counter and on building attacks.

We definitely miss Jota, Doc and also Jonny on appearances so far.

Semedo is good on the ball but seems to be missing at times, Podence is good in flashes and Neto works his socks off but lacks a bit of quality at the moment. I’m sure that all three will improve.

We haven’t seen much of Marcal so can’t judge him.

Traore definitely made Leeds change their shape and his very presence on the pitch took a bit of pressure off as he required two players to track him but I can’t disagree with the comments above. It’s not the first time that he hasn’t got into a game, either.

WE’re not at our best but I thought it was an enthralling game and there’s a lot to be hopeful about.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:55 pm 
Manager
Manager

It is a season of gradual transition for me, the loss of the Doc and Jota being sold and Jonny through injury leaves us trying to find solutions and that takes time. I feel that we desperately need a number ten behind Jimmy, he plows a lone furrow with his only support from the wings via Neto and Podence. With Moutinho and The Donk busy defensively all evening, we have no midfield creativity at all. Maybe Vitinha will in time fill that gap but I do wonder if a motivated and fully fit Gibbs-White could have slotted in there for us. Time will tell. I am not expecting too much this season, we are ahead of the Fosun plan long term and need to regroup and evolve better in our playing style compared to what we have shown over the past two seasons.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
It is a season of gradual transition for me, the loss of the Doc and Jota being sold and Jonny through injury leaves us trying to find solutions and that takes time. I feel that we desperately need a number ten behind Jimmy, he plows a lone furrow with his only support from the wings via Neto and Podence. With Moutinho and The Donk busy defensively all evening, we have no midfield creativity at all. Maybe Vitinha will in time fill that gap but I do wonder if a motivated and fully fit Gibbs-White could have slotted in there for us. Time will tell. I am not expecting too much this season, we are ahead of the Fosun plan long term and need to regroup and evolve better in our playing style compared to what we have shown over the past two seasons.

Yep, too slow by half in the build ups. We countered against Leeds but they ended up with nine men behind the ball when a moment before they had eight upfield attacking.

I don’t think Gibbs White is the answer for us but he seemed to be doing OK for Swansea. If Neves moved up ten yards or more I’m sure that it would help.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

TStarr wrote:
Traore has been on 15 minutes, but it would take a genius to tell.

New contract anyone......mmmmmm??

Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:47 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:

I`m happy with a season of transition now that Raul has signed a new deal. The other big names I wouldn`t miss too much as long as they were replaced. I too would like to see what Neves could bring playing higher up the field.

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies