Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:47 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

On to the next one - skipping Saturday again. Can the Wolves outfox the Foxes? Leicester have been playing well lately and are riding high. We've got some results ourselves though and are still hard to beat even if we don't have lots of goals in us. Neto and Podence looked good at times last week and need to to show that it wasn't a mistake to sell Jota. A few more goals from them would be the icing on the cake. Will it be Ait Nouri or Marcal on the left, it would be a shame if the young french lad lost his place after last week.

Let's hope we are at our best and if we can come away with 3 point we should be amongst the leaders going into the break.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:52 pm 
Manager
Manager

Leicester are in a rich vein of form and will be a tough nut to crack. They beat Braga easily last night without Vardy too. However, they wobbled a while at Leeds on Monday night after Leeds scored and rode some luck defensively, this is something we need to focus on and get at their back line. Keep the young lad Ait at left wing back, keep a winning team and see how we go.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:12 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Leicester are in a rich vein of form and will be a tough nut to crack. They beat Braga easily last night without Vardy too. However, they wobbled a while at Leeds on Monday night after Leeds scored and rode some luck defensively, this is something we need to focus on and get at their back line. Keep the young lad Ait at left wing back, keep a winning team and see how we go.

Why do you talk such sense? :wink:

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:

Pints of absinthe

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:23 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

suiging wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:

Pints of absinthe

It does make the heart grow fonder.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:19 am 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:

Pints of absinthe

have you installed a hidden CCR camera at my house somewhere???

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:55 am 
Manager
Manager

I would take a point right now. Expecting a tough game today.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:56 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Interesting game today. This should go some way to telling us where we really are at the moment. There's potential for a heavy defeat if we put in a 'West Ham' type performance.

I think we'll be back to our cagey first half tactics where we just try and stay in the game. But Leicester won't sit back so there might be a lot of opportunities to hit them on the break.

Could go either way this one.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

Unchanged team from last game.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:45 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

omg a penalty for that - VAR no longer our friend! Wonder if he will try a balance it up later in match. If we ever get near their penalty area, that is!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:30 pm 
First XI
First XI

STILL not enough guile from midfield or the forwards. Came alive in the second-half but failed to take a chance. On the plus side we held our own against the league leaders. No-one could have complained if it finished level.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:48 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Was an even contest in the end... The usual first half no show, but we were the better side second half, only a couple of real chances for either team and ultimately we lost to a dodgy penalty. Leicester benefit from VAR against us yet again.

However, we are starting to stink out this division. Although we are very organised without the ball, we're ponderous in possession and frankly just incredibly boring to watch. We must improve massively in this respect or life will begin to get quite uncomfortable for Nuno and his staff.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

I think the game showed we are a top ten team rather than top six. Question is have we gone backwards as a team rather than the steady progression we all desire.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

Back to the static football, hoping for an individual to pull off a piece of magic or the opposition to make a critical mistake. While their 1st penalty award was extremely fortunate, they were simply more more accurate and faster with their passing game and deserved the lead.

Our attack is all hustle and bustle and no incisive clever football that surprises the opposition. I have to say I've seen nothing in Silva to date to even think he is worth half his fee. He is neither fast, nor tricky, nor good at making runs in behind the defence.

I expect us to finish outside the top 8.

Introducing Mr Jeff Shi – Executive chairman, board member, acting managing director, acting sporting director, unofficial deputy to Raul Jimenez in the striker department and confirmed Banks's drinker

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:20 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

shropswolf wrote:
Back to the static football, hoping for an individual to pull off a piece of magic or the opposition to make a critical mistake. While their 1st penalty award was extremely fortunate, they were simply more more accurate and faster with their passing game and deserved the lead.

Our attack is all hustle and bustle and no incisive clever football that surprises the opposition. I have to say I've seen nothing in Silva to date to even think he is worth half his fee. He is neither fast, nor tricky, nor good at making runs in behind the defence.

I have to say, Silva looks like what he is, a boy playing against men. Looks like he should be turning out for the U21's... He must have more in his locker than he's shown so far.

That said, it is difficult to to shine as an attacking player in a team with such a defensive mindset.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:40 pm 
Manager
Manager

lankywolf wrote:
shropswolf wrote:

I have to say, Silva looks like what he is, a boy playing against men. Looks like he should be turning out for the U21's... He must have more in his locker than he's shown so far.

That said, it is difficult to to shine as an attacking player in a team with such a defensive mindset.

He is a troubling signing for me. A Manchester Utd can afford to take a gamble on a 35 million youngster, Wolves really can't.

He has time on his side, but you only had to watch a 17 year-old Robbie Keane or Wayne Rooney or Michael Owen a few times to see they had huge assets to their game and were already capable of hurting even the best teams in the country.

Maybe Wolves need to go 2 up top with him and Raul for a while and see if a combination can develop, as at present, these fleeting displays don't seem to be bringing him on at all.

Introducing Mr Jeff Shi – Executive chairman, board member, acting managing director, acting sporting director, unofficial deputy to Raul Jimenez in the striker department and confirmed Banks's drinker

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

First half garbage, second half far better but still not much threat up top and we are unconvincing..it is my feeling that this season of transition will be up and down all year. The better team won on the day.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:58 pm 
Manager
Manager

Crap game, few chances overall, and Leicester edged it. I don't know whether this 'change in style' is a cunning ruse or summat, but we create next to fu** all, and we do have some creative attacking players. What I want to know is, how and when will it magically click?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:59 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Silva looking more bronze than gold. Wolves looking at sideways and backwards movement AGAIN :roll:

It is now the time that officials are required publicly to explain their decisions in accordance with their knowledge of the games laws and their interpretations of them.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:07 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
Silva looking more bronze than gold. Wolves looking at sideways and backwards movement AGAIN :roll:

It is now the time that officials are required publicly to explain their decisions in accordance with their knowledge of the games laws and their interpretations of them.

At least the Ref went over to the telly to check that the penalty was harsh, but give it any road.

The thing is, the Officials, the EPL, UEFA, FIFA, are seemingly accountable to nobody and enforce what they like, yet the clubs and countries don't seem to be able to do anything about it...

Remember this shit house? https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/07/10/ex-fifa-executive-jack-warner-ordered-to-pay-79-million/

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:09 pm 
Manager
Manager

Apparently the ref only looked at the penalty incident in slow motion. Looking at it in real time might have given him a different perspective. Marcal is a better option at left back against teams of Leicester`s quality. I am beginning to wonder if Neves has peaked as a footballer or is Nuno playing him wrong?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:50 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Very disappointing after things were beginning to look better.... False dawn?

Roy Keane is right. If we are to move to next level we MUST be more adventurous and creative and take some RISK. It isn;t enough to wait for the game to be nearly over and nick one...

And as for VAR ... you have all known my views for years.

But the handball law has become an absolute nonsense. What on earth was wrong with the old idea of 'intentional handball' and 'hand to ball' being a foul, but 'ball to hand' not?

We are now going to get every forward in the land who - once anywhere near the penalty area - will forget any skill, junk, twist and turn, but simply flick the ball at a defender's hand/arm and claim the penalty. It stinks.

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:04 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

desiwulf wrote:
Apparently the ref only looked at the penalty incident in slow motion. Looking at it in real time might have given him a different perspective. Marcal is a better option at left back against teams of Leicester`s quality. I am beginning to wonder if Neves has peaked as a footballer or is Nuno playing him wrong?

Neves is having to play deep and with only two in midfield they are often outnumbered and he doesn't get much chance to play the killer ball. I think he is often only doing what Coady can do from the back. We continue to play safety first and I can't see what this mythical change of approach is at the moment. Neves needs to be playing in a more forward position to be more effective.

We played a really good team today who are energetic and close people down quickly. The wing backs didn't get the freedom that Woy's team gave them last week and without that we don't seem to be able to find a way through.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:50 am 
Manager
Manager

I feel that we need to revert to a 3-5-2. The midfield is getting overrun at times putting more pressure on the back three. Three up top with two of those out wide, leaves Jimenez ploughing a lone furrow and feeding on scraps. We can and would rotate the forwards depending on the opposition etc. Instead of putting Traore on the right wing only to have his crosses nearly always blocked at the last minute by defenders is also far too predictable. Traore needs to be up alongside Raul and run at their defence through the middle and terrify them and stop the opposition doubling or trebling up on marking Traore, when he is out wide.

My team:

Rui

Boly
Coady
Kilman

Semedo
Saiss
Donk
Marcal

Neves ( much further forward)

Jimenez
Traore.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:22 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
desiwulf wrote:

Neves is having to play deep and with only two in midfield they are often outnumbered and he doesn't get much chance to play the killer ball. I think he is often only doing what Coady can do from the back. We continue to play safety first and I can't see what this mythical change of approach is at the moment. Neves needs to be playing in a more forward position to be more effective.

We played a really good team today who are energetic and close people down quickly. The wing backs didn't get the freedom that Woy's team gave them last week and without that we don't seem to be able to find a way through.

We had a few half chances but our passing in the final third was dreadful and Neto and Podence were out-tackled as well. Jimenez wasn’t given a look-in as a result. Had the two miscreants had a better game there would have been a completely different complexion put upon it.

As for the penalty, that definitely put a downer on the team.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:25 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
I feel that we need to revert to a 3-5-2. The midfield is getting overrun at times putting more pressure on the back three. Three up top with two of those out wide, leaves Jimenez ploughing a lone furrow and feeding on scraps...

I get the impression that this is Nuno’s tactic, something akin to that of the Zulus. It often seems like we’re fighting at Rorke’s Drift.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:27 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

We are now going to get every forward in the land who - once anywhere near the penalty area - will forget any skill, junk, twist and turn, but simply flick the ball at a defender's hand/arm and claim the penalty. It stinks.

It seemed to me that that was exactly what Praet had in mind as he blasted the ball at Kilman.

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies