Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:27 am 
Manager
Manager

A warm welcome to Mick McCarthy and his back to basics football team known as Ipswich Town.

Surprised a few this season has Mick with his team sitting pretty in the top ten, who'd have thought it.

The start of the Christmas rush of fixtures with mild weather to boot.

Forecast for this one, 1-1. A game that seems to ask a few questions but not really.

If team culture is weak losing divides the team. If team culture is strong, losing creates the hunger to win again. Either way culture rules.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Wolves vs Ipswich
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

Could be a frustrating afternoon, even a 0-0, but I'm going for a later winner and 1-0.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:06 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

I'm going with a 2-0 Wolves win. I just have a feeling Mick has issues when playing against good footballing sides.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:21 pm 
Manager
Manager

Don't forget kids, no Jota on Saturday...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:40 pm 
Manager
Manager

I'm not sure people realise that Ipswich are the second leading scorers in the league, with the 9th worst defence. Mick has gone on the attack this season. There should be space for us to play

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:01 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Embers wrote:

Why?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:20 am 
Manager
Manager

Dan G WWFC wrote:
Embers wrote:

Why?

5 yellows suspension ay it?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:34 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
Dan G WWFC wrote:
Embers wrote:

Why?

5 yellows suspension ay it?

I think they got wiped before he got his 5th. In November.

edit: just checked..

Quote:
Premier League yellow cards are wiped on December 31, while the EFL wipe yellow cards on November 30.

So ye, he's good to go.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:15 am 
Manager
Manager

toomb wrote:
I'm not sure people realise that Ipswich are the second leading scorers in the league, with the 9th worst defence. Mick has gone on the attack this season. There should be space for us to play

Its a difficult game to picture because in many respects Wolves should dominate the ball and because of that back Ipswich up in and around their box.

If team culture is weak losing divides the team. If team culture is strong, losing creates the hunger to win again. Either way culture rules.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:44 am 
Manager
Manager

SpaceMonkey wrote:
I think they got wiped before he got his 5th. In November.

edit: just checked..

Quote:
Premier League yellow cards are wiped on December 31, while the EFL wipe yellow cards on November 30.

So ye, he's good to go.

Zippedy do-dah, zippedey-ay (does heal-click in lounge)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

Will Nuno be the one to finally crack it and beat McCarthy?

A look back at previous failed attempts...

Stale Solbakken
Just one game against McCarthy - in fact Stale's very final game at Molineux. A second clueless home defeat within a matter of days with Ipswich strolling to a comfortable win in December 2012.

Dean Saunders
No games, but we can say with relative certainty he would've lost any in any case.

Kenny Jackett
Ken had four attempts at beating McCarthy, following a defeat in their first meeting, he managed three draws in the subsequent games. The most notable being a late season clash at home with Wolves needing to come out firing on all cylinders to make the play-offs. Instead, a handbrake-on performance only brought a 1-1 draw, Stearman rather unhelpfully heading into his own goal before Afobe equalised. The late onslaught in true Jackett style never arrived.

Walter Zenga
Unsurprisingly, given his short stay, Walt had only one game against a man he once lined up against in a World Cup quarter final. A goalless home draw in August could've been the breakthrough had Bodvarsson converted a first-half penalty. The saved spotkick ultimately meant that Bod never actually scored a goal at Molineux. Wolves were admittedly lucky that the linesman ruled a later Ipswich "goal" offside when it wasn't.

Paul Lambert
Lambert took charge of the reverse fixture of the same season and on a pathetic run of six straight defeats he opted to play for a goalless draw, which was lucky as Ipswich were only too happy to do the same. A turgid 0-0 that did admittedly build some type of basis for a run of 5 wins afterward.

Nuno
Irony: Should Nuno win, Wolves will set their best points tally for the first half of a season. The present record was set when the club was managed by... Mick McCarthy.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:17 pm 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:

Stale Solbakken
Just one game against McCarthy - in fact Stale's very final game at Molineux. A second clueless home defeat within a matter of days with Ipswich strolling to a comfortable win in December 2012.

Dean Saunders
No games, but we can say with relative certainty he would've lost any in any case.

Kenny Jackett
Ken had four attempts at beating McCarthy, following a defeat in their first meeting, he managed three draws in the subsequent games. The most notable being a late season clash at home with Wolves needing to come out firing on all cylinders to make the play-offs. Instead, a handbrake-on performance only brought a 1-1 draw, Stearman rather unhelpfully heading into his own goal before Afobe equalised. The late onslaught in true Jackett style never arrived.

Walter Zenga
Unsurprisingly, given his short stay, Walt had only one game against a man he once lined up against in a World Cup quarter final. A goalless home draw in August could've been the breakthrough had Bodvarsson converted a first-half penalty. The saved spotkick ultimately meant that Bod never actually scored a goal at Molineux. Wolves were admittedly lucky that the linesman ruled a later Ipswich "goal" offside when it wasn't.

Paul Lambert
Lambert took charge of the reverse fixture of the same season and on a pathetic run of six straight defeats he opted to play for a goalless draw, which was lucky as Ipswich were only too happy to do the same. A turgid 0-0 that did admittedly build some type of basis for a run of 5 wins afterward.

Nuno
Irony: Should Nuno win, Wolves will set their best points tally for the first half of a season. The present record was set when the club was managed by... Mick McCarthy.

There's a neat synergy developing in that analysis. The answer lies in the soil. 8)

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:02 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

shropswolf wrote:

Stale Solbakken

Dean Saunders

Kenny Jackett

Walter Zenga

Paul Lambert

Nuno

Nice analysis Salop. The Dean Saunders bit amused me. I reckon it will be tight like the Sunderland game, but I did like supernoodle's comment that McCarthy never did well against footballing sides when he managed us!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

Definitely due a win against Ipswich I want to see us win well and keep stamping our authority on this league.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:58 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2016/17
Prediction League Winner 2016/17

I went to the Lolbakken game on 29th December with a couple of mates.

Was meant to be a birthday treat.

The worst game I've ever attended, and I froze my bollocks off. I remember the atmosphere inside Molineux was toxic.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Forever in my Heart, Mum. 26/06/58 ~ 16/03/12.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:58 am 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

wolvesforever_1979 wrote:

The worst game I've ever attended, and I froze my bollocks off. I remember the atmosphere inside Molineux was toxic.

Yes, remember it well. It was horrible, one of many painful games that season!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

hugh jarse wrote:
wolvesforever_1979 wrote:

Yes, remember it well. It was horrible, one of many painful games that season!

It was bad, I remember it well as it was the day before my birthday and was supposed to have been a birthday treat...but the game before that was apparently worse according to the guy sat next to me - it was 0-3 v Peterborough. What a Christmas.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:40 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I feel for Solbakken. I don't think he deserves the ridicule he gets. The club was poison anyway. Wrong place wrong time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

Cally wrote:
I feel for Solbakken. I don't think he deserves the ridicule he gets. The club was poison anyway. Wrong place wrong time.

It's a fair comment. He didn't have the type of players he needed to do what he wanted with...a bit like Frank de Boer at Palace who was given only 4 league games. To be fair to Solbakken, before he lost the plot we were actually top of the league on the Sky interactive table for about eight minutes when we went ahead v Palace on the ninth game. Trouble is it all went pear shaped after that and I'll never forgive Palace for it...the red card which should have been given for the foul on our Pole (can't remember his name) which put him out for the rest of the season by a player who set up the second goal.

We've had some bad luck with buying Poles over the years.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:11 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

SELWolf wrote:
Cally wrote:

It's a fair comment. He didn't have the type of players he needed to do what he wanted with...a bit like Frank de Boer at Palace who was given only 4 league games. To be fair to Solbakken, before he lost the plot we were actually top of the league on the Sky interactive table for about eight minutes when we went ahead v Palace on the ninth game. Trouble is it all went pear shaped after that and I'll never forgive Palace for it...the red card which should have been given for the foul on our Pole (can't remember his name) which put him out for the rest of the season by a player who set up the second goal.

Peszko it was. I remember him being a class act, and when he got fit again, Saunders refused to play him, but had no problem sticking Dangerous out on the wing.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:24 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Cally wrote:

I dunno cal, I watched everyone of his home games and quite a few away ones too, I can only remember one game where I was not bored rigid, I coined his nom de plume of Dulle Dullfukke from those observations.
He was in charge and he had a budget and he produced a bag o'wank.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:39 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Supernoodle23 wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
Cally wrote:

Peszko it was. I remember him being a class act, and when he got fit again, Saunders refused to play him, but had no problem sticking Dangerous out on the wing.

Ahhh I loved Peszko, I was so excited to see what sort of player he would be for us but unfortunately it didn't work out :-(

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:08 pm 
Manager
Manager

Cally wrote:
Ahhh I loved Peszko, I was so excited to see what sort of player he would be for us but unfortunately it didn't work out :-(

We haven't had much luck with Poles.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
Cally wrote:

We haven't had much luck with Poles.

That's what I said. They're "bye-polar" when it comes to us.
I thought Lhuzny was a Pole at first but discovered he's Ukrainian. The only luck we've had was with Tomas the Goalkeeper but he's a blouse now.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

We know exactly what a Mick team brings to the table. No gimics, nothing new. Of all the teams we face preparation for this one should be simple.

Nuno will pick Mick's pocket. It's our time.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
We know exactly what a Mick team brings to the table. No gimics, nothing new. Of all the teams we face preparation for this one should be simple.

One-trick Mick?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:09 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
suiging wrote:

One-trick Mick?

Let's make a dick of one-trick Mick 8)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:28 am 
Manager
Manager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeK8ZFm ... e=youtu.be

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:01 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Rozza wrote:
Cally wrote:

I dunno cal, I watched everyone of his home games and quite a few away ones too, I can only remember one game where I was not bored rigid, I coined his nom de plume of Dulle Dullfukke from those observations.
He was in charge and he had a budget and he produced a bag o'wank.

I always defended SS, but looking back it just didn’t work. We were very one-paced, and I’ll never forget that little 12 year old looking assistant raci gup and down the line shouting instructions that were always ignored.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:32 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeK8ZFmkuMI&feature=youtu.be

Ha ha, tickled me did that.

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies