Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:47 am 
Manager
Manager

The first game in the calendar year sees Brentford come to Molineux in fine form and from a spectators point of view it should be a good watch.

Brentford under Dean Smith always come to play rather than keep their numbers goalside of the ball.

Lets hope both sides manage to keep eleven players on the field in another end to end encounter.

Forecast for this one, 3-2 to Wolves.

And a Happy Wolves New Year to you All.

If team culture is weak losing divides the team. If team culture is strong, losing creates the hunger to win again. Either way culture rules.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Wolves vs Brentford
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

There's some stats around which show Brentford create more chances than any other club (inc Wolves) by a huge margin. They seem to have issues converting those chances, which is why they had a dodgy start to the season, although that seems to have sorted itself recently given the run they've been on.

Going to be a very difficult game. Especially after playing so long with 10-men yesterday.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:21 pm 
Manager
Manager

Best wishes to you and yours KK. This will be another great game. What a time to be a fan of the greatest team in history !!!!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:33 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Brentford play nice football, and their early results didn't reflect the performances they were putting in, I see they have crept up the table unnoticed and are only 4 points off the play offs now, this will be a tough game for us and we need to add a bit of intensity to our game.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
Brentford play nice football, and their early results didn't reflect the performances they were putting in, I see they have crept up the table unnoticed and are only 4 points off the play offs now, this will be a tough game for us and we need to add a bit of intensity to our game.

Thought we were "Intense" enough against Brizzy. They certainly thought so....

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:14 pm 
Manager
Manager

SpaceMonkey wrote:
There's some stats around which show Brentford create more chances than any other club (inc Wolves) by a huge margin. They seem to have issues converting those chances, which is why they had a dodgy start to the season, although that seems to have sorted itself recently given the run they've been on.

Going to be a very difficult game. Especially after playing so long with 10-men yesterday.

But, our defence is good:

(all from https://experimental361.com/2017/12/31/scatter-graphics-championship-31-dec-2017/)

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

That's the ones. Also show how Ipswich are doing much better than they should be considering the quality of the chances they're producing. So ye. Brentford WILL create vs us and lets hope they don't hit a purple patch finishing wise.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

toomb wrote:
SpaceMonkey wrote:

Deleted the graphs in the quote as they're big enough as it is, but WTF do they mean - does one need a degree in astrophysics to understand what they're trying to depict?

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:55 pm 
Manager
Manager

It's a game that should suit us, a team coming to play and attack which should make for an exciting game. There will be goals, could even be a 3-3, but hope we nick it.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:14 pm 
Manager
Manager

Languidly clinical did it for me. Do the blokes who turn these things out actually get paid for it?
Unbelievable Jeff. :roll:

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:31 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

warn wrote:
Languidly clinical did it for me. Do the blokes who turn these things out actually get paid for it?

I think it means the best teams stick it in the onion bag more often. :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:34 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
warn wrote:

I think it means the best teams stick it in the onion bag more often. :lol:

Now that I understand. 8)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:21 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

warn wrote:

24 hour sports channels = monkey spunk.

I thought languidly clinical was a Welsh hospital meself.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:39 pm 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
toomb wrote:
SpaceMonkey wrote:

Deleted the graphs in the quote as they're big enough as it is, but WTF do they mean - does one need a degree in astrophysics to understand what they're trying to depict?

Even if you fail to understand it please show respect for the poster who presented the information, thanks.

If team culture is weak losing divides the team. If team culture is strong, losing creates the hunger to win again. Either way culture rules.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:53 am 
First XI
First XI

A win and we are 12 clear of second and 14 clear of third. Hard to believe. I would have been happy had our lead stayed the same coming out of the holiday fixture crunch. Buts it’s wxpanded quite a bit.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:58 am 
Manager
Manager

What great results for us so far this round. Only Villa and Middlesbrough getting wins and Cardiff losing again!

Be a fantastic round if we do over Brentford. 3-1 Wolves for me.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:55 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:
toomb wrote:

Even if you fail to understand it please show respect for the poster who presented the information, thanks.

Not showing any disrespect for the Poster at all, just asking for an explanation of what they mean is all.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:37 am 
Manager
Manager

For those people who look slightly deeper its worth following

https://twitter.com/WolvesAnalytics

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/T ... -2017-2018

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:55 am 
Manager
Manager

Moscow Wolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

Not showing any disrespect for the Poster at all, just asking for an explanation of what they mean is all.

Top graph
Brentford create an awful lot of chances (18 shots per match), but don't stick too many of them away (1 goal every 11 shots). We don't create so many chances (13.5 shots per match), but score every 7th shot

Bottom graph
Brentford: on average, should score 1.7 goals per match, but concede 1.2 goals per match.
Wolves: on average, should score ~1.6 goals per match, but conceded 0.95 goals per match

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:15 pm 
Manager
Manager

I have a bad feeling about tonight

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:30 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Moscow Wolf wrote:

At no point has he indicated a lack of respect for the poster -In fact quite the opposite as he alluded to the fact to understand them was a challenge in itself - in a way he's only poking a little fun at himself.

However he is correct that they do take some working out and of course you can read into them different inferences from the information as you so decide...so I just read the corner descriptions - as I too am a little bit of a thicko :)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:35 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

toomb wrote:

Top graph
Brentford create an awful lot of chances (18 shots per match), but don't stick too many of them away (1 goal every 11 shots). We don't create so many chances (13.5 shots per match), but score every 7th shot

Bottom graph
Brentford: on average, should score 1.7 goals per match, but concede 1.2 goals per match.
Wolves: on average, should score ~1.6 goals per match, but conceded 0.95 goals per match

so we win tonight 1.4 : 1.325 :)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:08 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

toomb wrote:
Top graph

Bottom graph

I do get that and thanks for the explanation Toomb. What bothered me when I was trying to understand it was how the 1.6 per match was calculated. We had 47 goals from 25 matches so why was the expectation not 1.88? The same defensively, we had conceded 20 from 25 so why isn't it 0.8?

I certainly wasn't intending to be disrespectful but I think a phrase such as "Languidly Clinical" does put one in mind of the old "buzzword bingo".

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

]Deleted the graphs in the quote as they're big enough as it is, but WTF do they mean - does one need a degree in astrophysics to understand what they're trying to depict?[/quote]

Even if you fail to understand it please show respect for the poster who presented the information, thanks.[/quote]

Not showing any disrespect for the Poster at all, just asking for an explanation of what they mean is all.[/quote]

Top graph

Bottom graph
Wolves: on average, should score ~1.6 goals per match, but conceded 0.95 goals per match[/quote]

Then if you relate those stats to the book The Numbers Game you see that a teams second goal within a match yields the highest positive results.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:41 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Then if you relate those stats to the book The Numbers Game you see that a teams second goal within a match yields the highest positive results.

So what you are saying that a team that scores 2 goals in a match has a decent chance of winning. Whodathortit?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

The stats (and form guides) both suggest a draw. Basically whoever turns up on the night will probably win this. My biggest worry is Nuno keeping the players motivated. They can all see the table too, it's going to be very easy to drop off that intensity, especially after so many games in just a few weeks.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:54 pm 
First XI
First XI

SpaceMonkey wrote:
The stats (and form guides) both suggest a draw. Basically whoever turns up on the night will probably win this. My biggest worry is Nuno keeping the players motivated. They can all see the table too, it's going to be very easy to drop off that intensity, especially after so many games in just a few weeks.

Hope he’s telling then they could be the greatest team in Championship history. But nothing is won yet. Gotta build it brick by brick and we are halfway there.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:01 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2016/17
Prediction League Winner 2016/17

... Livin' on a Prayer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Forever in my Heart, Mum. 26/06/58 ~ 16/03/12.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:21 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
toomb wrote:
Top graph

Bottom graph

I do get that and thanks for the explanation Toomb. What bothered me when I was trying to understand it was how the 1.6 per match was calculated. We had 47 goals from 25 matches so why was the expectation not 1.88? The same defensively, we had conceded 20 from 25 so why isn't it 0.8?

I certainly wasn't intending to be disrespectful but I think a phrase such as "Languidly Clinical" does put one in mind of the old "buzzword bingo".

It's looking at Expected Goals, which basically measures quality of chances created. On average, based on the chances created, how many goals would you expect to score?

So, for example, it would weight Bennett's winner against Bristol City as a larger Expected Goal than Neves' winner at Sheffield Wednesday. Both were winning goals, but you'd expect to score Bennett's chance a lot more than you would Neves'

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:04 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

toomb wrote:

It's looking at Expected Goals, which basically measures quality of chances created. On average, based on the chances created, how many goals would you expect to score?

So, for example, it would weight Bennett's winner against Bristol City as a larger Expected Goal than Neves' winner at Sheffield Wednesday. Both were winning goals, but you'd expect to score Bennett's chance a lot more than you would Neves'

So it's based on someone's (or a group) judgement about the degree of difficulty rather than hard data. A level of subjectivity then.

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies